Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does ANY Direct Play work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Does ANY Direct Play work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/22/2008 12:38:32 AM   
Wolfitz

I am soooooo frustrated. I have tried everything to get the direct connection (modem Host) to work. I can get as far as seeing the session in the session dialog but I get "Join Session Error" every single time and it will not continue.

I got two systems on an isolated LAN and it still would not work. I disabled all firewalls and AV software ... nothing.

I even added the IPX protocol and tried that ... same thing "Join Session Error".

I followed every suggestion from the manual and from what I've been able to find in the forums .. same thing.

Does this feature even work for anyone?
Post #: 1
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/22/2008 1:04:10 AM   
marcbarker

are they 2 separate serial numbers? if it is one copy on 2 machines it won't work.

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re

(in reply to Wolfitz)
Post #: 2
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/22/2008 9:21:50 PM   
tide1212

If your networked it won't work. You have to have a direct hookup to your ISP.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 3
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/23/2008 12:06:03 AM   
jgbryant25

This appears to be a VISTA-JTCS problem. JTCS works fine for me on a network consisting of one computer running on XP and another on Win98(!), connected via TCP/IP. But it has been to impossible to link them with a laptop running on VISTA (Either 'No Valid Session', or 'Join Error'). On the other hand, the John Tiller HPS games I have all work on a three-computer network. (They've all had VISTA patches.) 

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 4
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/23/2008 1:49:36 AM   
Wolfitz

Thanks for the ideas.  I did in-fact have the same license running on both machines.  I have a 2nd but must have gotten confused when I re-installed a while back.  At any rate, I removed everything then re-installed using the 2nd license .... same problem.

I was previously unable to get it to work over the internet so now I have it running in an isolated LAN.  I even went as far as un-plugging the WAN interface on the DLINK router.  Both machines are XP (a ThinkPad and a PC) .. both can ping each other .. both have firewalls turned off, both are at the same version of JTCS ... same problem.

Since I can actually "See" the Session in the Session Dialog .. the network path is working .... it's just the 'joining' part that does not seem to work.

I have one more older computer that I'm going to break out and see if I can install on ... it's a "Hail Mary Pass" .. but I can't think of anything else to try.

(in reply to jgbryant25)
Post #: 5
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/23/2008 5:49:54 PM   
Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

are they 2 separate serial numbers? if it is one copy on 2 machines it won't work.

bulls**t

no checks for serial number when you play
Serials are checked only during install or patching

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 6
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/23/2008 5:52:05 PM   
Arkady

I play online games regulary and have no problem with DirectPlay (TCP/IP)
Most time I play within LAN, WinXP and Vista computers mixed
For internet games I use VPN program Hamachi as you need "private" IP address to connect to other program. Only problem that I encounter was with my router that blocks portsthat was used by Hamachi, after I switch it off it is OK.
-----
Some more tips:

Check DirectX versions on both computers (should be the latest - at least for DirectPlay component)
Set Workgroup name on both  computers to same name
Double check IP address on both computers (within LAN it should be within 192.168.x.x range)
In network adapter properties check that Microsoft network client is selected

(in reply to Wolfitz)
Post #: 7
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/23/2008 7:04:38 PM   
marcbarker

i honestly thought it checked serials on both machines. Oh well ... I guess i could have bought 1 copy for moy entire network. nahhhhh i like the separate titles....i feel better doing it that way. I tried himachi and you are right about the router, i have a rout hooked into a cable modem which is firewalled. I have to do it that way so everyone has internet. That is the problem with going wireless

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 8
RE: Does ANY Direct Play work? - 9/25/2008 9:35:32 PM   
Wolfitz

Well, I got it working when I broke out my old computer. So that means it has something to do with my laptop. I don't know if it's some security thing .. or maybe the DirectX thing, or something else. At least I now know that it does work.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Does ANY Direct Play work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI