Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 3:41:34 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

My Apologies. I did not know there was an agreement not to look stuff up on the net. (I didn't start reading the thread until about a page ago.)

There is another web forum that I participate in that expects "cites" to back up assurtions, so now I link to reference sources out of habit.

It's all cool man. It was just a set-up for my "total war" joke, it being a quiz about WW2 and all.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 541
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 4:48:25 AM   
paulderynck

Question: What was the name of the city named Stalingrad in WWII, before it was named Stalingrad?

Paul

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 542
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 7:45:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Question: What was the name of the city named Stalingrad in WWII, before it was named Stalingrad?
Warspite1

Tsaritsyn - why did Stalin change that name I wonder?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 543
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 1:41:33 PM   
Norman42

Because Tsaritsyn was a Czarist name from the previous regime...and Stalin like to name cities after himself; I think there were no less then 300 cities/towns with Stalin in the name.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 544
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 4:41:58 PM   
IrishGuards

Volgagrad ..??
IG

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 545
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 4:46:20 PM   
brian brian

'Volgagrad' came along in the 50s after Stalin was discredited, I believe.

(in reply to IrishGuards)
Post #: 546
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 9:08:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Because Tsaritsyn was a Czarist name from the previous regime...and Stalin like to name cities after himself; I think there were no less then 300 cities/towns with Stalin in the name.

Warspite1

Sorry Norman - that was a rhetorical question...

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 547
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/23/2008 9:09:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: IrishGuards

Volgagrad ..??
IG
Warspite1

No Tsaritsyn

(in reply to IrishGuards)
Post #: 548
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/25/2008 4:25:24 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: IrishGuards

Volgagrad ..??
IG
Warspite1

No Tsaritsyn

Yup.

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 549
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 8:10:48 AM   
morgil

Ill throw in a few quick Q's of me own..these might be a bit harder for you guys

1. Where did Bush Sr. serve during WWII ? And as what ?
2. Who were the Nightwitches ?
3. Who sank the Bismarck ?
4. Whats the real name of Tankograd ?
5. Laconia Order. Who, why and what ?
6. Swastikas. First two countries involved in WWII to use them as unit markers ?
7. First major German loss ?
8. Where did Sven Hassel serve ? Who else did, according to him, survive from that unit ? Whats funny about it ?
9. What was the last country to join the Axis ?
10. Who did former SS Wiking members try to get removed from theire roll of veterans ? Why ?
11. What was the biggest difference between 11th and 3rd SS Divisions ?

Enjoy
And remember no looking it up

< Message edited by morgil -- 9/26/2008 8:34:52 AM >

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 550
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 9:17:35 AM   
paulderynck

1. He was a carrier pilot in the Pacific. He was shot down near one of the islands close to Iwo Jima and was the only one of the crew of three to survive.
3. My first guess on the Brit ships was wrong, although it is claimed by some that the Germans finally scuttled it themselves.
6. The Germans and the U.S. (U.S. 45th Inf Div - I think this one is already referred to above somewhere.)
9. Siam ?

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 9/26/2008 9:19:01 AM >

Paul

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 551
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 9:23:31 AM   
Frederyck

quote:

ORIGINAL: morgil
6. Swastikas. First two countries involved in WWII to use them as unit markers ?

I'd wager it was Finland and Germany. The Finnish airforce was founded in 1919-something via an aircraft donation from the Swedish count Eric von Rosen, (friend of and semi-related to Göring btw). The aircraft was adorned with a blue on white swastika, a symbol which subsequently was used until 1944-something by the Finns on all (most?) their planes. You can even see those blue swastikas on some of the Finnish MWiF aircraft counters if you look close enough!

I seem to remember Lithuania using a swastika independently of Germany as well, but I don't know the details or if it was used on any units.

Edited for grammatical errors.

< Message edited by Frederyck -- 9/26/2008 1:10:40 PM >

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 552
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 3:13:35 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Ill throw in a few quick Q's of me own..these might be a bit harder for you guys

8. Where did Sven Hassel serve ? Who else did, according to him, survive from that unit ? Whats funny about it ?
10. Who did former SS Wiking members try to get removed from theire roll of veterans ? Why ?

Enjoy

2. Russian female pilots who bombed German positions at night, usually from slow flying aircraft and often with fragmentation bombs.
4. Chelabyansk (sorry about the spelling)
7. Graf Spee maybe.
8. I was under the impression that he only served with a Danish SS unit very close to the end of the war and that he picked up his "war experience" from other prisoners during a period of captivity.
9. Depending on how you define "join the Axis", I'd say either Finland or Japan.

Cheers, Neilster

Edit because I forgot to answer a couple.

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/26/2008 4:21:22 PM >

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 553
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 3:50:51 PM   
micheljq

quote:

I try Crete. The germans did a major airborne operation to take the island in 1941 I think. They took it but with heavy losses. After Crete, they never attempted another major airborne assault again.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 554
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 6:42:00 PM   
brian brian

I wouldn't be surprised if China used some swastikas as unit icons, since it was an ancient symbol in India, among other places. But I don't know if they ever did.

I thought it was torpedoes from the CA Dorsetshire that finally sank the Bismarck, or maybe from some destroyers, but that is a bit of an open question that I'm not sure even the Ballard expedition didn't answer definitively. I was intrigued by a story in a Len Deighton book I read recently ... during the shelling of the Bismarck by several BBs, the British decided to launch a further airstrike; when the Swordfish approached they were unable to get the Royal Navy surface units to cease firing long enough for a run in with torpedoes, and the King George V even threw a few AA shells their way to get them to back off. The surface commanders were determined to not be upstaged by mere airplanes.

The Battle of Britain was a pretty major German loss in some senses, Crete was more of a pyrhhic victory. Hitler thought losing Rostov was enough of a loss to fire von Rundstedt; that was roughly concurrent with Operation Crusader chasing Rommel back to his original start line in the desert, with the failure of Typhoon in front of Moscow also at that time.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 555
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 9:46:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Enjoy

Warspite1

3. I don`t think anyone will ever know for certain. After the Rodney and KGV battered her effectively from point blank range and left her a burning hulk it was thought that it was the cruiser Dorsetshire that delivered the coup de grace with torpedoes. Another theory is that Bismarck was scuttled by her own crew.

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 556
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 9:51:30 PM   
warspite1

[/quote] Warspite1

I think that question may be a tad vague? Warship? Graf Spee - Battle? Narvik - what?

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 557
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 10:14:52 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Germany & Latvia, red one.
Finland too, blue one.
I believe that Latvia was involved in WWII before Finland, by the USSR take over. Unless the december 39 war between Finland & USSR counts as WWII.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 9/26/2008 10:15:49 PM >

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 558
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 10:19:04 PM   
Froonp

A Finnish Bulldog IIA

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 559
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 10:23:22 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Barbarossa.
Going east made them loose the war.

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 560
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 10:24:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Bulgaria ?

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 561
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 10:34:37 PM   
Orm

quote:

Enjoy

3. The Royal Navy destroyed Bismarck. The latest evidence support the claims from some of the German survivors made that they scuttled Bismarck.

Me for one do not understand why this subject is so controversial. I do not understand why it feels so important for some that it must have been a British shell or torpedo that made the wreck sunk.

-Orm

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/26/2008 10:36:54 PM >

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 562
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/26/2008 11:09:57 PM   
Froonp

IrishGuards's avatar made me want to do that :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 563
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 12:31:22 AM   
brian brian

Having never heard of the 11th SS but definitely seen the 3rd SS mentioned plenty (Totenkopf maybe?), I'll take a guess that the 11th SS was completely non-Germanic and the 3rd was completely German. ???

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 564
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 1:52:43 AM   
IrishGuards

That's a lovely counter .. wee shy in strength though ... maybe a 11-6 Mech ...
The tartan is actually an Anderson tartan I think .. might be Mitchell ..
I appreciate the excellent job ... I been thinkin on these lines to upgrade shall wee say .. mine is quite plain .. !!!

I was IrishDragoonGuards in the forum as my 2nd name on the forum for a few years .. then these nice guys at Matrix gave me back my first name IrishGuards ..
Appreciate the help and idea though .. Have to speak to the wee brethren ..
Cheers ..
IDG

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 565
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 2:53:25 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Bulgaria ?

Do we count the "independent government" of the Phillipines set up by Japan? If so, I think it would be them, otherwise, Thailand.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 566
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 5:17:44 AM   
morgil

1. Yes Bush Sr. was a carrier pilot..what Carrier ?
2. What Neilster said :)
3. Latest research/footage suggests that Bismarck had suffered only minor dammage below the waterline. Though the vessel was a burning hulk, the damage would not been enough to cause it to sink for a very long time, hence I would go with the scuttling by its crew.
4. Chelyabinsk is correct

6. Unless i got the dates mixed up, it was Germany and Poland. 21st and 22nd Mountain Inf. Divs used Swastikas.
7. I was thinking of the sinking of Blucher outside Oslo, atleast 800 dead, maybe not major enough :p
8. Oops. In my defence i was tired and had forgot the important bit while thinking up clever Q's
9. I was thinking Estland. In a futile attempt to stop the russians from invading them again.

11. I make it a bit easier. 11th was called Nordland, and the 3rd was Totenkopf. Nordland was mostly scandinavian volouteers.

You guys know too much

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein.

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 567
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 8:11:32 AM   
Frederyck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Germany & Latvia, red one.
Finland too, blue one.
I believe that Latvia was involved in WWII before Finland, by the USSR take over. Unless the december 39 war between Finland & USSR counts as WWII.

Yes, Latvia. Not Lithuania. Oh well! :) Considering that the Finnish-Russian Winter war is part of the rules for MWiF, I'd say it's part of WWII!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 568
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 8:59:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

7. I was thinking of the sinking of Blucher outside Oslo, atleast 800 dead, maybe not major enough :p

Warspite1

I think the loss of a brand new ship in such incompetent circumstances is pretty major. However, I think the number of dead is irrelevant for a question like this. Blucher was an 8-inch gunned heavy cruiser sunk in April 1940. The Graf Spee was an 11-inch gunned pocket battleship scuttled in December 1939. Therefore the first major loss was the Graf Spee. As with the Bismarck question, what finally sank the ship - British shells or torpedoes or crew scuttling is also irrelevant in determining what is a loss.

At that stage of the war Graf Spee was a major loss to the small but modern Kriegsmarine. These ships were boasted to be faster than a more powerful ship and more powerful than a faster ship. The fact was on paper, it should not have lost to the two British and one Kiwi cruisers - two of which were of the light variety - that engaged it.

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 569
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/27/2008 9:07:40 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

I think the loss of a brand new ship in such incompetent circumstances is pretty major. However, I think the number of dead is irrelevant for a question like this. Blucher was an 8-inch gunned heavy cruiser sunk in April 1940. The Graf Spee was an 11-inch gunned pocket battleship scuttled in December 1939. Therefore the first major loss was the Graf Spee. As with the Bismarck question, what finally sank the ship - British shells or torpedoes or crew scuttling is also irrelevant in determining what is a loss.

At that stage of the war Graf Spee was a major loss to the small but modern Kriegsmarine. These ships were boasted to be faster than a more powerful ship and more powerful than a faster ship. The fact was on paper, it should not have lost to the two British and one Kiwi cruisers - two of which were of the light variety - that engaged it.

I would rather say the decimation of the Kriegsmarine during Weserübung. In addition to Blücher they also lost most of their destroyers in Narvik.
But the Blücher raises another Q:

Q: Why was the sinking of the Blücher important in regards to Norwegian war effort?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI