Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great News

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Commander - Napoleon at War >> Great News Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great News - 9/24/2008 11:56:36 AM   
ant1815

Fantastic news on the impending release of 'Commander- Napoleon at war'

This is potentially the game I've been waiting for since playing the old 'War and Peace' board game over 20 years ago. Really looking forward to this one.
Post #: 1
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 11:57:45 AM   
ant1815

........and I'm pretty chuffed at having got the first post in the new CNAW forum too :)

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 2
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 12:35:07 PM   
Matto

Looks interesting ... but after I checked screenshots I muist say, that map scale is wrong. It is similar like in Commander-Europe at War ... but Napoleons war was little bit different ... I could imagine EaW concept in Napoleon era, but at more detailed map ...

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 3
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 12:52:07 PM   
ant1815

What do you mean about the scale being wrong?

It looks pretty similar to the old board game 'War and peace' and the scale on that was perfect. why do you think it would need to be more detailed?

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 4
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 1:08:44 PM   
Matto

Because now it looks like a battle across half of Europe and not near some city ... it looks like WWI/II front and not like Napoleon Wars
It is just my opinion, but at this scale it looks really strange and I'm afraid it will discourage many Naps grognards ...

My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 5
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 1:34:19 PM   
MacDuff

When I checked out the screenshots I thought the same thing, that the scale was off. More importantly, the overview didn't say anything about stacking, which leads me to believe you cannot stack more than one unit in a hex. If I'm correct and there is no stacking, this, in my opinion is where the game will fail.

However, on the stacking point I hope I'm wrong. I hope several units can be stacked in a hex, which would make it similar to War & Peace and I would probably buy it.

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 6
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 1:39:32 PM   
Matto

I'm afraid, that stacking is not possible ... like in Commander EaW. But you are right ... it should help

(in reply to MacDuff)
Post #: 7
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 2:09:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Well, it maintains the abstract "Panzer General" style gameplay. So this means some abstraction, just as in the PG series and in CEAW. You end up having the forces and battles more spread out than they were, but it allows a style of play that replicates the tactical battles to a degree on the strategic map. It takes a little leap of logic to understand how it reflects things, but it ends up a believable representation. With that said, this is not a "simulation" but it is a Napoleonic strategy wargame.

For instance, cavalry (when adjacent to the defender's hex) and artillery (when within two hexes) can now support a battle. Keep in mind each turn is 20 days, so some concentration and movement can be assumed within the turn timeframe as a battle unfolds.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 8
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 2:34:26 PM   
ant1815

No unit stacking? One unit per hex? Playing out tactical battles on the strategic scale?

I have to admit that my hopes for this game just took a huge body blow. I fail to see how the grand Napoleonic battles can be recreated using this system. Seems like it'll be WW2 with muskets.

very Very disappointing. This game has now instantly moved from immediate must buy to wait and see.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 4:10:40 PM   
Howard7x

Its Panzer General in in Nap era. What more were you expecting? You dont stack in Panzer General yet they made many spin offs of that game mostly very successfully....

Im looking forward to this alot, the map and unit art is fantastic! Looks like they listened to what gamers wanted in terms of map graphics. Great stuff and a must buy for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed C:EaW and im sure i will enjoy this as well.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 10
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 4:16:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

ant1815,

If you liked CEAW and Panzer General, I expect you'll like this. It definitely has some abstractions for the purposes of gameplay, but the gameplay is as fun and addictive as CEAW's was.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 11
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 4:31:39 PM   
Hard Sarge

I enjoyed EaW, even if I did alot of complaining about things that I thought were wrong, this looks like it could be another fun and enjoyable game

and I got to say, I like the people who make these games, even if I give them a HARD time (just because they and I got a different point of view on what the game should do, don't make them wrong for doing it there way)

it looks like one I will be picking up, when it is ready

(got to have someone or something to complain to/about)

Post #: 12
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 4:50:04 PM   
ant1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ant1815,

If you liked CEAW and Panzer General, I expect you'll like this. It definitely has some abstractions for the purposes of gameplay, but the gameplay is as fun and addictive as CEAW's was.

Regards,

- Erik

I never played CEAW. After SC and HOI2 I simply could't see the point of another strategic WW2 game. And I didn't like Panzer General or it's spinoffs either precisely because of the no stacking thing.

It simply looks like this isn't the game I thought it would be.

Post #: 13
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 5:17:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

ant1815,

It sounds like you want a more hard-core simulation, in which case I'd recommend keeping an eye on the upcoming Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 14
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 5:30:20 PM   
ant1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ant1815,

It sounds like you want a more hard-core simulation, in which case I'd recommend keeping an eye on the upcoming Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition.

Regards,

- Erik

Yeah. I've already got 'Crown of Glory' it's pretty good and I'll certainly be looking out for the Emperor's edition, but both of those are province based strategy games. I was really looking forward to a hex based napoleonic strategy game.

All I really want is something that gives me the same Napoleonic strategy experience as that old classic Board game 'War and Peace' I've been waiting over 20 years and I really thought CNAW might finally be it...looks like it won't.

I really doubt I'll ever see a good hex based Napoleonic strategy simulation game ever

Post #: 15
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 6:30:42 PM   
PunkReaper

The way I see it CEAW was a really fun game to play. Not hardcore or deeply historical but just plain fun. I am expecting this game to be no more or no less.......any release date yet?

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 16
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 7:09:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
The way I see it CEAW was a really fun game to play. Not hardcore or deeply historical but just plain fun. I am expecting this game to be no more or no less.......any release date yet?

That's pretty much the case - as far as release date, very soon!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 17
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 8:17:24 PM   
Howard7x

Very soon = 29th of September ...

according to Slitherine's website anyway and i think that was posted today.

I just fired up CEAW today again after seeing this. Reminded me how much fun the game is and to me thats what its all about. I even installed one of the mods. I think my only gripe with the game is that it runs quite slowly and setting it on low makes no difference at all. The scroll is very awkward, i hope they sorted that out, it should be nice and smooth.

Post #: 18
RE: Great News - 9/24/2008 9:03:05 PM   
Matto

So close ? Then nothing can be changed and we must take game like it is ...

I have CEaW and enjoy it ... it is a good game, so I can imagine play CNaW how it is ... but still think, that lets say 2-3x detailed scale of map will make it more interesting ... and it is not so big change ... just new map and balancing

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 19
RE: Great News - 9/25/2008 12:42:58 AM   
Sgt.Fury25

Hello,Imo ceaw was a good game to take a break from say witp or fof.Those games are good in their own way.Its nice to have easier games to fall back on when your head is about to explode from the more complex ones.This sounds like a winner.

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 20
RE: Great News - 9/25/2008 12:49:15 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

All I really want is something that gives me the same Napoleonic strategy experience as that old classic Board game 'War and Peace' I've been waiting over 20 years and I really thought CNAW might finally be it...looks like it won't.

I really doubt I'll ever see a good hex based Napoleonic strategy simulation game ever

Why must it be hexed based?? I was also a War&Peace player, waiting for a decent grand strategy Napoleonic computer game. Empires in Arms is pretty good and getting better with each update. (See my review at Wargamer.com) I recently got into the GMT boardgame The Napoleonic Wars with its 2d Edition printing this summer. Both W&P and TNW were designed by Mark McLaughlin, but TNW is card-based and uses a point-to-point movement system. It's a very interesting and compelling game design. Whereas I used to be a diehard hex-based grognard, I'm learning to appreciate different designs. It would be neat to see some developer take on W&P and perhaps TNW for computer adaptation some day. Perchance to dream, yes?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying CNAW. I understand the need for some abstraction, and I'm curious how the gameplay goes. The real trick is getting nations to surrender and then later return to play. The developers appear to have done this, plus make some improvements on the CEAW engine. This won't be THE Napoleonic game, but may certainly be a fast and fun game to play. So we'll see.

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 21
RE: Great News - 9/25/2008 9:31:36 AM   
ant1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Why must it be hexed based?? I was also a War&Peace player, waiting for a decent grand strategy Napoleonic computer game. Empires in Arms is pretty good and getting better with each update. (See my review at Wargamer.com) I recently got into the GMT boardgame The Napoleonic Wars with its 2d Edition printing this summer. Both W&P and TNW were designed by Mark McLaughlin, but TNW is card-based and uses a point-to-point movement system. It's a very interesting and compelling game design. Whereas I used to be a diehard hex-based grognard, I'm learning to appreciate different designs. It would be neat to see some developer take on W&P and perhaps TNW for computer adaptation some day. Perchance to dream, yes?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying CNAW. I understand the need for some abstraction, and I'm curious how the gameplay goes. The real trick is getting nations to surrender and then later return to play. The developers appear to have done this, plus make some improvements on the CEAW engine. This won't be THE Napoleonic game, but may certainly be a fast and fun game to play. So we'll see.

Well, the reason I specified that I want it to be hex based is because that seems the only way to capture the scale of the Napoleonic conflicts. Take 'Crown of Glory' an otherwise good Napoleonic strategy game. It's province based, which isn't necessarily a problem in itself but I find the provinces in CoG a little too big, which makes the game map seem a little smaller than I'd like. It also severely limits the options for operational movement...Something which was a huge part of Napoleonic warfare.

I'd like the fact that dragging an army all the way to Moscow feels like a long and tortuous march....not simply popping over there in a few short turns.

I've looked at 'Empires in Arms' and I'll certainly keep an eye on it, but initial reviews were mixed; particularly concerning the AI, and it's also another province based game.

Aegod 'Campaigns of Napoleon' looks very good but, unfortunately, there's no grand Campaign and there's little option in the initial acenario setups for modifying starting deployments from the historical.

I honestly now don't think I'll ever see a Napoleonic strategy game that captures the feel I got in 'War and peace' Which is not only a shame but, considering how simple the game mechanics were, a bit puzzling why nobody has ever come close to even trying to do it.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 22
RE: Great News - 9/26/2008 8:54:35 AM   
Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

... getting nations to surrender and then later return to play. The developers appear to have done this, plus make some improvements on the CEAW engine ...

So nation can surrender and after some time return to war again ? If yes, it is really improvement of CEaW style ... great

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 23
RE: Great News - 9/26/2008 6:19:32 PM   
PunkReaper

Monday 29th September download release????

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 24
RE: Great News - 9/26/2008 10:10:52 PM   
Howard7x

According to Slitherine's website, yes. Matrix usually take a while to upload games though so i guess i wouldnt be suprised if that was put back slightly.... we shall see on monday!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 25
RE: Great News - 9/26/2008 10:40:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, we are planning to release on Monday the 29th for download. The physical release will unfortunately be a bit delayed in this case, probably a couple of weeks behind the download release due to printer delays.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 26
RE: Great News - 9/27/2008 12:08:32 AM   
Adam Parker

Any chance of an answer to our questions on a few threads here beforehand???

Post #: 27
RE: Great News - 9/27/2008 10:51:51 AM   
PunkReaper

Thanks for the reply Erik..... looking forward to monday

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Commander - Napoleon at War >> Great News Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI