Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

bitmap image

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> bitmap image Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
bitmap image - 9/25/2008 9:27:45 PM   
el cid

When I try to open the bitmap image created by the game (the small one with red and blue dots) the image gets distorted, and is imposible to work with.

Paint does not open it.
Microsoft Picture It opens it distorted, and can´t really work with it
Windows Phot Galery also distorts it.

Post #: 1
RE: bitmap image - 9/29/2008 10:50:32 AM   
el cid

I have noticed that in Microsoft Phot Gallery, when it opens it, it does with the following atributes:
- 0.01 cm wide and 0.00 cm long
- 300,000 plus pixels per cm

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 2
[BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 9/29/2008 7:05:20 PM   
noxious

Haven't seen that one (bug) yet, but there are multiple bugs with the image creating code in the latest official TOAW 3 : I've found that the pictures generated often have absurd DPI (like yours), that the big turn pictures of Player 1 are cut off about 90% of the time (often only the top left quarter, or even less is generated properly, the rest is white pixels).
Also, the create map image in the Editor also sometimes exhibit that same behavior as the big turn image.
For me, the small turn images have been the only ones except from corruption, but I haven't checked their DPIs or any other stats, since they work fine for me.
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it :)

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 3
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/1/2008 4:56:23 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I suspect these problems are caused by impatience. The really big scenarios, like FITE, take incredible amounts of time to generate the full map bmp. Regardless of equipment, it can take hours to complete. If you abort the process, you will probably get what is described above.

This is one of the things that was improved in 3.3 - there is a player option to only make the microscreen bmp. In fact, that's the default. 3.3 is still not released, though.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 4
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/1/2008 5:10:05 PM   
noxious

Actually, NO. I've done enough testing to tell you it's not impatience related, as I always check if the problem is on my side : I noticed this a long time ago, just didn't see anyone else mentioning it so I didn't pipe up about it.
Did you even read ? I take the time to write that it only happens to Player1, although I might have forgotten to say PO or Human player, doesn't matter, happens to either when it's Player1. That's in local vs PO or hotseat games.
How would I play before it's done making the picture ? How could I be impatient and not lose the whole game if I interrupted the "between turn" calculations? (hint : the app blocks while generating the picture and getting the turn ready)
Btw, the picture is the right size, just mostly full of white pixels (not black, white as in a non-null value at a certain memory address). And the micro pix are generated just fine, so what does impatience have to do with it ?
A bit less snide and impatience to brush off remarks : it's a big, ugly bug, and I say so from a programmer's point of view, as obviously it doesn't affect everyone, so might be a race condition confined to lower end hardware (hint : saw the bug so far only on a lower end machine, that still fits the reqs).
That doesn't change the FACT it's a bug : the code is not generating the picture properly, period.

Sheesh, I expected better from you.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/1/2008 7:33:34 PM   
Martin_Goliath

quote:

ORIGINAL: noxious

[...] the big turn pictures of Player 1 are cut off about 90% of the time (often only the top left quarter, or even less is generated properly, the rest is white pixels). [...]

I have reported a similar behaviour here (post 4-6), and also noted a correlation to zoom wheel usage. Could this be the reason for you too?

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 6
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/1/2008 9:41:57 PM   
noxious

Thanks MarGol, didn't stumble on your post when looking for a report on this bug :)
I'll check the mousewheel zoom thingy.
Btw, I also have the displaced text issue on all generated map pictures, including those generated from the Editor.

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 7
RE: bitmap image - 10/1/2008 9:58:19 PM   
el cid

for what is worth, this happens to me with the microscreen bmp file, regarless of size of scenario.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 8
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/2/2008 4:43:15 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

it's a big, ugly bug, and I say so from a programmer's point of view, ...

You're a programmer? When someone reports a bug in one of your programs, you don't check to see if they're using the program correctly? Seems pretty fundamental to me. I'm just trying to be a detective here. Why don't you read your own signature.

At the risk of being verbally asaulted again, it now appears to me that these problems are occurring when map views other than the 2d Large are being used. I don't think the map dump feature was ever intended to support that. So expect erratic behavior in any other view.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 9
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/3/2008 6:50:40 PM   
noxious

I felt assaulted, hence my less than kind response... I'll leave it at that, okay ?

Now, you think it's normal that end turn image files are affected by zooming ?
Not that you change zoom levels before ending the turn : you might have during the turn, went back to 2d-normal (aka large, iirc), finished your attacks, ended the turn.
Is that impatience, or misuse of the software, or anyway you want to twist it and throw it back to the idiotic users ?
NO

Post #: 10
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/3/2008 10:25:26 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Now, you think it's normal that end turn image files are affected by zooming ?

Once you know the history of the map dump feature, yes it is. Let's go back to ACOW: the only map dump possible was in the editor, and the editor had only the 2d Large map view. In TOAW III, the map dump was simply appended to the Movie feature. Since it had never supported any map view other than 2d Large, that was all it could be expected to support within the Movie thing.

Of course, other map views are available within the game turn. Furthermore, the TOAW III editor can now display all the map view modes. But if players want a map dump, they will just have to be sophisticated enough to put the map view back into 2d Large mode first. Expanding the map dump to support all map views would be a feature expansion that would come at the expense of more urgent items.

Note that there have been plenty of other TOAW III feature expansions that required just as much sophistication on the part of TOAW III users (all the XML files, the equipment editor, etc.). They're a sharp group. They can handle it.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 11
RE: [BUG, UGLY BUG] RE: bitmap image - 10/4/2008 6:02:04 PM   
noxious

Bob, we're not talking about leaving the map in non-default zoom before dumping the map, just having touched it before (and the main thing about map dumps is the text displacement issue, unrelated to zooming afaik). And anyway, the zoom remarks have to do with end of turn pictures, and the same applies there : if you used the zoom during your turn (not verified by me : inconclusive results so far, as I started a game in hotseat, zoomed, zoomed back to normal, switched to PO, finished the turn, pix generated good, played Side 2 as Human, zoomed, zoomed back to normal, finished the turn, and got a bad picture, playing Side2 as Human.

Now tell me how the corrupted pictures at the end of turn are a result of impatience or not playing the game right ? Are you "listening" to yourself ? C'mon man : are you so intent on disproving the existence of bugs that you'll not only use spurious arguments but choose what parts of someone's post applies ?
Believe me, I've dealt with idiotic users and impatience leading to "bugs" in 10+ years in software and game development, and this is not the case here.
Now, whether you chose to believe so or not, doesn't really matter, as it's not a wishlist item, but a minor bug with an annoying side effect towards one of the things keeping the community alive, AARs (which you do partake in creating brillantly I might add).

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> bitmap image Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI