Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Civ IV Colonization

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civ IV Colonization Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 7:38:28 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well SoM's seal of approval is enough for me. What the heck...it's only £18 anyway...and it's pay day...erm...next week 

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 31
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 3:06:48 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

At any rate, I wouldn't pay too much attention to some of the complainers. It's kind of like my old 1st Sergeant used to say when I was in the Army: "Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining."

Some folks would even complain if you hung them with a new rope.

Maybe Matrix should filter out all the complaints in the forums? Just allow the sweet posts whether true or not?

It's thanks to a lot of the complainers through the years that have saved me a lot of money, by being honest and giving an honest opinion. Same as the gaming magazine ratings that are not up to par with how I feel a good game should be. Kudos to the complainers and honest ratings!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 9/25/2008 3:45:29 PM >

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 32
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 4:13:36 PM   
sabre100

You guys sold me as well I will try to get it tonight if they have it in the store.. going out with the wife for our anniversary to dinner and there happens to be a gamestop about 30 feet away from the restaurant.   Figure she wont complain tonight about all the games I buy and hardly play.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 33
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 4:15:46 PM   
Terminus

It's nothing special, like the other "re-imaginings" (Pirates and Railroad Tycoon).

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 34
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 4:29:22 PM   
cdbeck

Well... it serves the same function as the remade Pirates and Railroads, gives them to a new audience with better graphics and updated OS support. I never played the original Colonization (other than the Free Colonization made recently) and would not be drawn in by the old version, due to Vista stuff.

Obsolete's ideas are... well... obsolete. This is not Civ4, not even close, other than in looks. If you play it like Civ4, you will fail. You actually CAN'T play it like Civ4. That opinion is misinformed.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 4:43:38 PM   
Phatguy

Its a decent game...

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 36
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 5:07:06 PM   
Adam Parker

I've been playing the Civ4  "suite of games" for a while now. Smooth and stable. However, Civ4 in my opinion totally did away with the "lessons" of history, the feel of the sweep of time that Civ2 so elegantly provided. I mean even on epic level that's meant to slow things down, you're already into Anno Domini before you blink your eyes. Bland, simplistic gaming if you ask me.

IMO Firaxis' best game is Alpha Centuari + Alien Expansion. Why not bring that up to a modern PC standard?

If Colonization has a decent price, I'll likely buy it (and thanks for the posts here) - only in the hope that it isn't "Civ4 Expansion 3".

What I'd really love to see is an Imperialism 3. There in Imperialism 2, was a gem of a game that just needed more of an intuitive UI and learning curve.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 37
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 6:20:49 PM   
ASHBERY76

I am finding it slow paced and boring.I never played the original but I played the similar game Imperialism and it was faster paced and more fun in my view.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 38
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 6:38:19 PM   
GShock

I have both expansions, bought all the bundle and am quite disappointed. It's very slow, highly ahistorical and some things are totally upside down, i.e. in a turn lasting 5 years a zeppelin arrives just a few squares away for an attack. Not to mention an army of catapults, club-armed warriors and machine guns...all in a very slow environment.

Anyway you know...it's about taste, lots of people like it but i was surprised to find these issues in Sid's game.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 39
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 7:42:04 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

IMO Firaxis' best game is Alpha Centuari + Alien Expansion. Why not bring that up to a modern PC standard?

100% agreed. A simple update for the original game SO IT WOULD ACTUALLY WORK WITH MODERN OS'S would be enough for me.

Post #: 40
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 8:11:47 PM   
Arctic Blast

For anyone still on the fence, I found this link on another forum...a demo version you can download from ebgames website that lets you play for an hour.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 41
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 10:34:04 PM   
Greybriar

@ LarryP

I guess you failed to notice the word *some* in that post of mine you quoted, huh?

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 42
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/25/2008 11:15:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

I think I'll pick it up tomorrow...£17.99 isn't bad for a "one more turn" game...

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 43
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 12:02:02 AM   
LarryP

quote:

@ LarryP

I guess you failed to notice the word *some* in that post of mine you quoted, huh?

I quoted it didn't I?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 44
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 7:08:29 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I quoted it didn't I?

The general impression I got from reading your comments made me feel as though you might as well have omitted your quote of my post.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 45
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 7:20:10 AM   
JudgeDredd

To the people who have it, does it have a nice big juicy manual with it? Like the other Civ games?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 46
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 8:33:19 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

To the people who have it, does it have a nice big juicy manual with it? Like the other Civ games?

Sadly, no. The manual is 72 pages long and leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 47
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 12:30:05 PM   
Terminus

Nothing new there.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 48
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 12:32:22 PM   
Adam Parker

I'm stayng away from this one - I too value honest, useful feedback and really appreciate this thread.

See you in another game guys  (heads of to Boardgame Geek to snif out another cardboard investment....)

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 49
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 12:33:20 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

For anyone still on the fence, I found this link on another forum...a demo version you can download from ebgames website that lets you play for an hour.

quote:

We're sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution by the software publisher of this title.

Unfortunately, we do not have permissions from the publisher to sell this title outside of our approved territory.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 50
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 3:01:57 PM   
LarryP

quote:

The general impression I got from reading your comments made me feel as though you might as well have omitted your quote of my post.

Then I must have misunderstood your comments or you did not express what you meant very well. This would not be a first for me but I read your post many times.

I had complained a little and I took it personal. I have also seen many posts of gamers complaining about the complainers, and I am kind of tired of that. I saw your post as such. If I was wrong, then I apologize but reading your post again, I still see it the same.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 9/26/2008 3:04:32 PM >

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 51
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 3:47:47 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

See you in another game guys (heads of to Boardgame Geek to snif out another cardboard investment....)

Try Twilight Struggle a card driven game based on the old computer game Balance of Power. It recreates a real cold war feel, an excellent game.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 52
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 4:43:51 PM   
Mark71

In the copy-protection-list (stickied at the wargamer) I notice that Colonization uses Securom, which is causing quite an uproar in relation to Spore. Are there any (bad) experiences regarding this?

http://wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=310900

< Message edited by Mark71 -- 9/26/2008 4:50:39 PM >

the poster formerly known as Murky71

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 53
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 5:01:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

Can't say I've personally had any bad experiences with Securom. But one of the main PITA with Spore, apparently, is the limited installs (yes...even for hard copies) and only 1 profile!!...being as it's a "family" orientated game, you cannot create a profile for your kids etc, etc...ridiculous

But that's another story

(in reply to Mark71)
Post #: 54
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/26/2008 5:53:23 PM   
Obsolete

I think I'll pick it up tomorrow...£17.99 isn't bad for a "one more turn" game...

Now, what do you think?

I gave it a shot last night, and sadly I think this is the most BORING series released. 

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 55
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/27/2008 2:04:18 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Try Twilight Struggle a card driven game based on the old computer game Balance of Power. It recreates a real cold war feel, an excellent game.

Did just that Mr. Reaper Thanks!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 56
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/27/2008 3:02:48 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Same for Red alert 3 coming out next. Huge thread in their forums on it. All against!
quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Can't say I've personally had any bad experiences with Securom. But one of the main PITA with Spore, apparently, is the limited installs (yes...even for hard copies) and only 1 profile!!...being as it's a "family" orientated game, you cannot create a profile for your kids etc, etc...ridiculous

But that's another story

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 57
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/27/2008 3:20:55 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark71

In the copy-protection-list (stickied at the wargamer) I notice that Colonization uses Securom, which is causing quite an uproar in relation to Spore. Are there any (bad) experiences regarding this?

What's making lawsuits is the fact that users are not being warned before installing, that Securom is going to be installed, at least in Spore. That would make me quite angry. I just read some facts about it and I read nothing that is good for a PC user in the least.

Securom:
It saps system resources
It communicates back to the developer even when the game is not being played
No prior information that it is going to be installed (Spore, don't know about Colonization)
It is impossible to remove without a hard drive format
And more...

(in reply to Mark71)
Post #: 58
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/27/2008 3:32:11 AM   
Greybriar

Before I installed Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization yesterday, I unplugged my modem. I didn't plug it back in until the game had finished installing and I had started my first game (YAY!). So it seems to me that the copy protection on it is only to insure the CD is in the drive when it's played. In other words, there is apparently no DRM on it like what Spore, Mass Effect, and some of the other notable examples have.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 59
RE: Civ IV Colonization - 9/27/2008 3:46:41 AM   
Duck Doc

Alpha centauri was good. What I liked about it was the distinct differences between the factions. I loved playing Gaia. It seemed to be easier to build a civilization reflecting my personality & be successful at it. The science fiction aspect of the game was also a big attraction. I really enjoy Civ4 but I have fond memories of Alpha Centauri. In many ways I thought it was better.

I doubt there will be a remake because Alpha Centauri was Brian Reynold's baby & until he is back in the Firaxis fold I doubt they would do it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civ IV Colonization Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI