Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/27/2008 9:56:27 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

How is the formation tab supposed to work? Mine are all blank

The screen is supposed to show all of the TOE's on your side.

It's supposed to read the TOE information in on a database upgrade or an initial database creation. Which was your situation?

< Message edited by floydg -- 9/27/2008 9:58:21 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 571
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/27/2008 10:00:50 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: 3rd ACR Tanker

Need some help here. I've installed the latest version of WITP Tracker, but can not get the current turn to load, and am not able to get additional turns to load. Other problem I'm having is that when I go to get multiple turns loaded like I've seen in the screen shots, I see the directory query, but when i click on it, I don't see any .pws options to choose from. Any help on how to get it all working so that I can do multiple turns would help. Would greatly appreciate it.

What kind of messages are you getting when you attempt to load the turn?

To get the multiple load to work, select a directory which contains save game files which match the format of your initial save game. For example, if your save game is witp020.pws, it will match files which have "witp020" anywhere in the name (e.g., witp020_10.pws, witp020.pws.010, etc).

Floyd

(in reply to Cav Trooper)
Post #: 572
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/27/2008 10:02:05 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Great update, currently downloading it !

[...]

BTW, installation completed, and a pet-peeve of mine now works correctly : the ordering of the turn column in the Alert panel.  It sorts the turns numerically, not textually, now.  Great!

Thanks. I got in a few of your suggestions...

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 573
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/27/2008 10:28:55 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

quote:

It's supposed to read the TOE information in on a database upgrade or an initial database creation. Which was your situation?

I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3, been running it for a few turns but i get nothing in the formations field

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 574
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 12:09:50 AM   
Cav Trooper

Thanks for the rapid response, however, the message I get when I go to the Matrix Games\war in the pacific\save\ directory is "there are no unloaded turns in this directory". So now the question is in the properties files in the last line, how do you setup up the file name so that you don't have to rename the saved turns each time I save one. Do wildcards work?? like witp00*.pws or something like that. Even using the multi turn window, I don't even see a  .pws turn. I am beginning to feel like a real idiot, and am getting very frustrated with this. Every turn I get is the first one I put in the WITP Tracker directory. I apologize for the new guy questions, but I've never used a utility like this one. Plus the directions in the guide is rather vague.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 575
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 12:30:19 AM   
Nomad

wrong place

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 576
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 1:22:03 AM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

quote:

I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3, been running it for a few turns but i get nothing in the formations field

Strange -- I've done some upgrades from 1.2 and it appeared. In the LCU history, what does it show for the TOE % and TOE Max?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 577
RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 1:27:44 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: 3rd ACR Tanker

Thanks for the rapid response, however, the message I get when I go to the Matrix Games\war in the pacific\save\ directory is "there are no unloaded turns in this directory". So now the question is in the properties files in the last line, how do you setup up the file name so that you don't have to rename the saved turns each time I save one. Do wildcards work?? like witp00*.pws or something like that. Even using the multi turn window, I don't even see a  .pws turn. I am beginning to feel like a real idiot, and am getting very frustrated with this. Every turn I get is the first one I put in the WITP Tracker directory. I apologize for the new guy questions, but I've never used a utility like this one. Plus the directions in the guide is rather vague.

Yeah, the SAVE directory should only have one file that matches. The multi-turn load is for when you have a lot of old turns saved.
So for example, my game is witp020.pws (slot 20), and that is the save game file name in the witptracker.properties file.
Each turn, I save the file as witp020.pws.xxx, where xxx is the turn number, for example, "witp020.pws.097", for turn 97's save. I have all of these in a directory somewhere and using the multi-load feature, I can load a lot of these old turns in one shot. Wildcards do not work in the save game file name, but the multi-turn load looks for all files that have "witp020" in the name.

So to get a new turn to load, do the following:
  • In the WitPTracker directory itself, copy the latest save game file (which has not yet been loaded) from the game's SAVE directory
  • Select Load Turn

< Message edited by floydg -- 9/28/2008 1:28:56 AM >

(in reply to Cav Trooper)
  • Post #: 578
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 2:42:51 AM   
    mbatch729

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
    And I am very happy to hear the complements... it keeps me coding...

Great tool!!! I've gotten so used to it I can't image playing w/o it now. I hope you can get an early crack at AE to get this ready for it when, if, it is released.

Later,
    FC3(SW) Batch
    USS Iowa

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 579
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 6:14:13 AM   
    n01487477

Just to visualise what Floyd is saying ...

This is of a multi-turn load, however I am just loading one turn ...

Cantona are you talking the tab up the top, or the formation button ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/28/2008 2:23:42 PM >

(in reply to mbatch729)
    Post #: 580
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 7:33:44 AM   
    Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Great update, currently downloading it !

[...]

BTW, installation completed, and a pet-peeve of mine now works correctly : the ordering of the turn column in the Alert panel.  It sorts the turns numerically, not textually, now.  Great!

Thanks. I got in a few of your suggestions...

I saw, nice to you. I'm already filling the notes columns...

Just a question. In future upgrades, my notes won't disappear, I hope ?

If I get any new idea, I'll let you know.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 581
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 7:41:45 AM   
    n01487477

Ambassador, the notes are held in the DB so they should remain from upgrade to upgrade ... I think the changes in the summary screen were also one of your suggestions ...

We are also working on a new ship screen, very much in the vein of the other screens with added info below.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 582
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 8:10:54 AM   
    Ambassador

I only offered the idea, the credit is yours, like the worktime.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 583
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 9:11:35 AM   
    cantona2

@floydg both cells you mention have the value - in them

@n01487477 both tab at top and button on bottom come up as empty

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 584
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 2:17:35 PM   
    Hanzberger

Can you use this tracker on an already existing game. (stock for the most part)???? And if so is there any changes in how to install the game on top of an existing game.

(in reply to cantona2)
    Post #: 585
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 2:21:36 PM   
    n01487477

Yes,
    you can use it any time ... unzip the files into any folder (I have mine on the desktop), and move the savefiles into that directory.
    Change the witptracker.properties file to the proper arguments ... and then execute the batch file ...

Good Luck and let me know if you need any help.

[edit]You also need java runtime installed ... So, this has nothing to do with your game folder or installation of WITP.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/28/2008 2:27:27 PM >

(in reply to Hanzberger)
    Post #: 586
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 3:36:51 PM   
    floydg

quote:

@floydg both cells you mention have the value - in them

@n01487477 both tab at top and button on bottom come up as empty

If it's showing values (like 100/100), then the TOE information is being read in.
    Can you try changing the filters in the tab and see if anything shows up?

< Message edited by floydg -- 9/28/2008 3:38:22 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
    Post #: 587
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 8:39:00 PM   
    Ambassador

Just a bunch of weird or miscellaneous ideas.

- In the Alert panel, when you sort according to importance, it sorts alphabetically.  It'd probably be better with a sorting through the importance itself, instead.

- Also, did you willingly leave the army loss points out of the victory points panel ?  or are they someplace else ?  I didn't find them...

- In every panel where there are a lot of columns, it could be helpful, more user-friendly I mean, to use coloured backgrounds for the columns.  I'm not sure it's possible, since the only colour in your program is applied to numbers...

- It could be a little too far-fetched, but it took me some time to find which ship lost its Walrus this afternoon, and I thought about adding a column in the airgroup panel, showing how many planes where lost compared to last turn.  This would allow instantly to see which airgroups have suffered losses, and how many, instead of having to look into the history of each airgroup.  Although I don't know if it's possible to do it without taking the reinforcements into account (as the turn is only read once) ; otherwise, it might not be useful.

- in the LCU panel, two columns, one for TOE current, and one for TOE max, like those in the history boxes of each LCU.  Again, it's about user-friendliness, finding a bunch of informations at a glance.

- would it be possible to change the LCU Production panel according to the side ?  it doesn't make much sense for the Allies to get the Manpower/armament/vehicle needs.  A TOE current/max would be more useful IMHO, as the Strength % column only gives the rapport between the two, not whether the TOE is full or not.

- in the Device panel, a column showing the pool's state would be fine.  As well, but more difficult, a column showing how many of this device are needed by either all units or all "reinforcement allowed" units.  And a further step for the spoiled brats would be which type of formation require that device, and in what numbers.
    A filter according to the type of device, as well as the "active/unactive" status of the device (like for units, with active/reinforcement)

I think that's all for now.  As usual, take what you want of all this, there's no copyright.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 588
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/28/2008 10:55:52 PM   
    floydg

quote:

Just a bunch of weird or miscellaneous ideas.

- In the Alert panel, when you sort according to importance, it sorts alphabetically.  It'd probably be better with a sorting through the importance itself, instead.

Good idea.

quote:

- Also, did you willingly leave the army loss points out of the victory points panel ?  or are they someplace else ?  I didn't find them...

We can't seem to find this in the save game file. But we're still looking.

quote:

- In every panel where there are a lot of columns, it could be helpful, more user-friendly I mean, to use coloured backgrounds for the columns.  I'm not sure it's possible, since the only colour in your program is applied to numbers...

Possible, but a decent amount of tedious work.

quote:

- It could be a little too far-fetched, but it took me some time to find which ship lost its Walrus this afternoon, and I thought about adding a column in the airgroup panel, showing how many planes where lost compared to last turn.  This would allow instantly to see which airgroups have suffered losses, and how many, instead of having to look into the history of each airgroup.  Although I don't know if it's possible to do it without taking the reinforcements into account (as the turn is only read once) ; otherwise, it might not be useful.

The Air Groups panel has a special filter which shows air groups which have less planes than the maximum, which should have helped you find the ship losing the Walrus. You can also filter the HQ by Independent Ship to further narrow down the rows.

quote:

- in the LCU panel, two columns, one for TOE current, and one for TOE max, like those in the history boxes of each LCU.  Again, it's about user-friendliness, finding a bunch of informations at a glance.

Good idea.

quote:

- would it be possible to change the LCU Production panel according to the side ?  it doesn't make much sense for the Allies to get the Manpower/armament/vehicle needs.  A TOE current/max would be more useful IMHO, as the Strength % column only gives the rapport between the two, not whether the TOE is full or not.

We were planning to add TOE information and now we have it.

quote:

- in the Device panel, a column showing the pool's state would be fine.  As well, but more difficult, a column showing how many of this device are needed by either all units or all "reinforcement allowed" units.  And a further step for the spoiled brats would be which type of formation require that device, and in what numbers.

This is planned for a future release.
    quote:

A filter according to the type of device, as well as the "active/unactive" status of the device (like for units, with active/reinforcement)

Yeah, I need to add some filters in there.

quote:

I think that's all for now.  As usual, take what you want of all this, there's no copyright.

Thanks!

Floyd

< Message edited by floydg -- 9/28/2008 10:56:23 PM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 589
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 2:04:21 AM   
    rjopel

Any luck on getting the program to actually read from the save game folder yet?

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 590
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 2:46:53 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Any luck on getting the program to actually read from the save game folder yet?

I keep forgetting to look at that, sorry. I'll try to get it in the next release.

< Message edited by floydg -- 9/29/2008 2:48:32 AM >

(in reply to rjopel)
    Post #: 591
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 3:23:37 AM   
    scott64

Not sure what i done, but when I try to load the most recent turn, I get a message that turn 3 is already loaded and I am turn 71. 

Never mind I know what i did.

< Message edited by scott1964 -- 9/29/2008 3:24:55 AM >

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 592
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 7:57:33 AM   
    Ambassador

quote:

The Air Groups panel has a special filter which shows air groups which have less planes than the maximum, which should have helped you find the ship losing the Walrus. You can also filter the HQ by Independent Ship to further narrow down the rows.

Damned, I forgot about that filter !!

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 593
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 12:08:39 PM   
    BShaftoe

Another idea. Something like pre-warning for upcoming reinforcements? So when you select to see Alerts -> Current Turn pieces of information, some warning could be: "In 7 days, Airgroup A will be available in...".

Also, in Alerts page, it would be great if, with some piece of news, you could click on it to bring you to another section. In the request I made above, or in the case of an airgroup recently arrived, you could click (or click twice, better) in the piece of information and be brought to Air Groups and Pilots with that airgroup selected and showing info. Maybe this has been requested before, and in that case, I'm sorry. ;)

Also, an alert for no pool for pilots, and maybe making estimations for ship repairs (based on the average of days needed to reduce 1 point of sys damage), or even for aircraft R&D (I guess this one could be hard as hell).

Anyway, excellent work, mates. Excellent work.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 594
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 2:57:50 PM   
    n01487477

Scott, you need to be careful and load the turn at the same point each time. Maybe you loaded the turn after the combat phase, and then tried again after the end turn...or something like this.

BShaftoe:
    Warning are good, but how many is too much? I'm not against anything that alerts the user to something important, just don't want to be wading through a page of alerts each turn... I'm sure Floyd and I will talk about this sometime.

Ship repair estimations are a bit impossible IMO, but I'll look into it. aircraft R&D totally impossible ... unless someone can convince me otherwise.

The double clicking and pulling up other information might have to wait for the time being, but it would be very cool.

Cheers for the thoughts and input.
    Damian

(in reply to BShaftoe)
    Post #: 595
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/29/2008 5:25:35 PM   
    Ambassador

quote:

BShaftoe:
    Warning are good, but how many is too much? I'm not against anything that alerts the user to something important, just don't want to be wading through a page of alerts each turn... I'm sure Floyd and I will talk about this sometime.

A possible solution to avoid having "too much" would be to have a score of "checkboxes" to activate/inactivate each type of alert. So, if, say, you don't want to get warnings for LCUs movements, you could uncheck the "LCU reached destination" box. A bit like the Ship Production panel with the different statuses in checkboxes.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 596
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/30/2008 12:17:53 AM   
    floydg

quote:

quote:

BShaftoe:

A possible solution to avoid having "too much" would be to have a score of "checkboxes" to activate/inactivate each type of alert. So, if, say, you don't want to get warnings for LCUs movements, you could uncheck the "LCU reached destination" box. A bit like the Ship Production panel with the different statuses in checkboxes.

Good point. Not that hard to implement, I think.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 597
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/30/2008 12:06:36 PM   
    BShaftoe

quote:

Ship repair estimations are a bit impossible IMO, but I'll look into it. aircraft R&D totally impossible ... unless someone can convince me otherwise.

First of all, let me say I'm sorry if at some point I seem a kid asking for this or that. I'm also a computer-related worker, and I know that feeling of "you could do it by yourself and stop asking like it was free". ;)

The thing about airplanes, I agree with you because it depends on % for each 100 "prototype" planes built, and well, all that stuff. It's quite hard to implement an estimation reliable enough (but I'm convinced that given enough data, some statistics could be made, and some estimations could be made :))

But with ship repairs I think it's easy, and hey, it wouldn't be rock solid, but maybe good enough to give you an overall idea of when you're going to get back that damaged CV that could decide your game.

My idea is, once you know you have a damaged ship (let's define a damaged ship as a ship with 10 or more points of sys damage), you inspect its sys points damage history back, make averages of the days needed for every sys point repairing, and then just multiply. The reason to do this is because I think there's three possible phases for a damaged ship (well, once you know it's not going to sunk unless attacked again, and of course, in general terms).

1. Repairs at high sea
    2. Repairs at a port withouth ship repairing yard.
    3. Repairs at a port with that yard

Usually you begin with 1, just after the attack, then 2 (in order to lose all that Fires and Flt damage points), and then, finally, 3, in order to hurry the process.

So, actually:

1. You check back the ships location story in order to know in which phase is the ship (usually the progression will be 1->2->1->3 until repaired), and in which day the ship entered the current state.
    2. Then, you go from that day to the current one, checking the number of days needed for each Sys point repaired (the first one could have taken three days, the second one four, etc...), and make an average. IF the current days from the last Sys point repaired are HIGHER than the average, you update the average with this number of days from previous "repair" (the last point is taking longer to repair, and this affects the estimation). This average, and the number of points in which it's based upon, can be stored in the DB for further estimations.
    3. Multiply the resulting average for the number of Sys points remaining, and you have rough estimation (a rough one, for sure, but better than nothing).
    4. Ok, it's not very reliable, but in the end, it can be useful for giving you an idea of the month you'll have the ship.
    5. Also, since it could be (I'm not entirely sure), that the closer you are to 0 sys damage, the faster you repair it, you could also restrict the average to the last 5 or 10 "samples".

In the end I suppose this is what everybody does: having it done automatically would be fine.

As I say, maybe this is too poor, but I think it's not that a bad idea. I'm sure that this "estimation algorithm" can be object of lot of criticisms (and maybe well deserved).

< Message edited by BShaftoe -- 9/30/2008 8:06:25 PM >

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 598
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/30/2008 4:18:36 PM   
    Cathartes

In lieu of the disappearing pilot bug it would be great if the Pilots tab under Air Groups and Pilots would have row numbers.  I realize there is an ID column (which has gaps and is not an accurate way to determine your total pilots), but a row # column would be VERY helpful in determining total number of pilots if PBEM players were to negotiate total aircraft/pilot ceilings in avoiding the bug.

Great tool, thanks very much for your work on it!

< Message edited by Cathartes -- 9/30/2008 4:19:24 PM >

(in reply to BShaftoe)
    Post #: 599
    RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 - 9/30/2008 5:27:31 PM   
    n01487477

Thanks Cathares ...
    something like this no doubt ... but I think I can refine it to have aggregate totals at the top, showing number of WIA/MIA/KIA & of course, number delayed ... but I will ask for Floyds say so, as this is his panel before I tinker any more ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cathartes)
    Post #: 600
    Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.3.1 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI