Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Silent Hunter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Silent Hunter Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:29:16 PM   
cantona2

Im looking at this title very closely but i have afew questions before i go for it.

1) Its called Wolves of the Pacific but is there a version or expansion where i can play KM U-boats?
2) Can Japanese subs also be used or is it an allied side game only?
3) How well will it run on my current specs: AMD Athlon 3500+, 2.21 Ghz, 2MB Ram, GEFORCE 7800 GT 256 card?

Thanks

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 1
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:38:06 PM   
Terminus

There's an expansion pack with U-Boats, but you can't use I-Boats (why would you?).

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:42:25 PM   
HansBolter

When I want to command U-Boats I load up the last version SH3, although the campaign missions really suck in that one. I don't have the expansion for SH4 that adds U-boats

I have a a system slightly faster than yours, Athalon 64 Dual Core 5000 @ 2.6 ghz, 2 gigs DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GeForce 7850 GT OC 512mb DDR3 RAM and SH4 runs just fine on it.

The campaign missions are a big improvement over SH3.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:42:40 PM   
cantona2

For the expereince T, other than sinking them in WitP 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:43:41 PM   
cantona2

Would you recommend it then Hans?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 5
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:44:06 PM   
Terminus

You can undertake a maximum of THREE war patrols in the campaign, so don't expect a start to finish experience.

SH4 is not a very good game.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 6
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 6:53:18 PM   
Hertston

Unless you must have the Pacific theatre, get SH3 and download the 'Grey Wolves' mod instead.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 7:02:44 PM   
Terminus

SH3 with Grey Wolves is the better game, definitely, although it's been purged from my computer like all other Ubi games.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 7:05:38 PM   
cantona2

TBH after WitP i dont think any other Pacific game will do , well other than AE ofcourse!

Id rather play as KM so SH3 seems the weapon of choice for those in the know

Thanks

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 7:43:05 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You can undertake a maximum of THREE war patrols in the campaign, so don't expect a start to finish experience.

Where the hell did you get that info from? I'm on my fifth war patrol now!

I started in the Phillipines, rebased to Soerabaja when the Philipines fell and then rebased again to Perth.

And, yes, I would recommend it. Not the greatest, but decent enough to get enjoyment out of it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 7:51:27 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

#1) I'm not sure where you've got that from T' old boy.

#2) I sort of agree. The game has potential, but as it comes from the box it's fairly poor IMO. Much like SH3 the game is massively improved by the installation of user made mods. I would agree with Hertston, unless you really want to play USN subs in the Pacific then SH3 + Greywolves is the way to go.

No matter which (if either) you play, the best place to go for mods and other info is here:
Subsim

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 7:53:55 PM   
Terminus

It's second-hand knowledge. I HAVE the game, and have played it, but never that far. Uninstalled it fairly quickly...

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 12
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 8:02:21 PM   
andym

I have both SH3 and SH4,personally SH3 is far superior to SH4 untill a similar mod to GWX comes out.Get a copy of SH3 then download GWX to version 2.1 and then add SH3 Commander mod.It will blow you away,the game is much better in all respects from the stock SH3.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 8:32:14 PM   
Halsey

Check out subsim.com for more detailed info.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 14
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 10:11:34 PM   
SuluSea

Here's some SH4 pics from my PC. It's a great title and well worth the price as far as I'm concerned. You can't use I-boats.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 10/1/2008 10:12:43 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 15
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/1/2008 11:00:15 PM   
Greybriar

Silent Hunter III had the best graphics of any sub sim I had played up until then. Unfortunately it also had StarForce.

Was there ever a patch released that removed StarForce from the original boxed version?

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 16
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 12:24:47 AM   
planner 3

How did you get SH2 to work in windoz XP ?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 17
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 2:19:54 PM   
NefariousKoel

Just get SH4 gold.  It has the USN & KM together along with the updates.

There are mods out there that are quite nice.  Between fighting with SH3's Starforce and not having widescreen compatibility, I've not played SH3 in awhile and probably won't ever again.  SH4 is just fine.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 18
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 2:27:24 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

I have both SH3 and SH4,personally SH3 is far superior to SH4 untill a similar mod to GWX comes out.Get a copy of SH3 then download GWX to version 2.1 and then add SH3 Commander mod.It will blow you away,the game is much better in all respects from the stock SH3.

Do the add ons improve the horrible campaign missions or do they just alter the interface and combat?

I really like commanding Uboats, but I hate single missions and the campaign missions in stock SH3 suck eggs.

One thing I wish they would stop doing is completely revising the interface with each new release.

They had a great interface in SH2 and it has gone downhill ever since IMHO.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 19
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 2:35:15 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Do the add ons improve the horrible campaign missions or do they just alter the interface and combat?

I really like commanding Uboats, but I hate single missions and the campaign missions in stock SH3 suck eggs.

One thing I wish they would stop doing is completely revising the interface with each new release.

They had a great interface in SH2 and it has gone downhill ever since IMHO.

There are two major mods out there for SH3, Greywolves and NYGM tonnage war. They both modify the stock campaign out of all recognition adding stuff like the Norway campaign, Operation Pedestal and D-Day.

Both mods are different so I'd maybe try each before comitting. IIRC the NYGM mod removes the renown requirements from upgrades, but Greywolves has more new stuff.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 4:48:39 PM   
carnifex

I can't get SHIII to work on my Vista system (SHIV works fine) - is there some known fix?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 21
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 5:28:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yes...XP

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 22
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 5:59:26 PM   
Tactics

As others have said - Only being able to do 3 patrols is BS.

Comparing Witp to SH4 - Is retarded. It's like comparing chess to Wii Fit.

I'm playing SH4 with the Trigger Maru mod, it's very cool. Most of the large mod teams are no longer working on SH3, but have started SH4 work. SH4 makes some of the crew management way less tedious. Check out http://www.subsim.com/index.php  for mod info.

I think you can the SH4 plus the expansion for like $30 - Like SH2 and 3, it's the modders that make the game great. Why get 3 when all the talent is working on 4 and 4 has more features and is more mod friendly?

Graphic enhancemnt mod for SH4:

Oh...and work on a Japanese playable campaign mod has already started....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141869

< Message edited by Tactics -- 10/2/2008 6:08:12 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 6:47:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

I tried to get into SH4 (and SH3). Whilst I did manage quite a few missions in SH3, I found it very tedious...beautiful, but tedious.

Found more of the same in SH4....I was bored senseless sailing around that bloody big ocean trying to find something to sink. Beautiful game...but tedious.

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 24
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 6:51:05 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I tried to get into SH4 (and SH3). Whilst I did manage quite a few missions in SH3, I found it very tedious...beautiful, but tedious.

Found more of the same in SH4....I was bored senseless sailing around that bloody big ocean trying to find something to sink. Beautiful game...but tedious.

Some one needs to show the Judge the time compression controls.......

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 6:57:49 PM   
JudgeDredd

Oh I used them Hans....alot...still couldn't find anything juicy to sink. Always ended up going back to base.

The only excitiment I had in any patrols I did was trying to gauge surfacing to replenish dry cells at night time rather than dusing the day...and having terrible trouble keeping a fit crew.

It's still on my computer as the only naval game I own...but I have to be honest...it has not been loaded in over a year.

I'll load it tonight...but if I wake up in the morning with a sore head because I fell asleep at my computer desk, I'll hold you personally responsible.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 26
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 7:27:17 PM   
andym

I beleive that there is a tool on the web to remove it.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 27
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 7:27:44 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Oh I used them Hans....alot...still couldn't find anything juicy to sink. Always ended up going back to base.

The only excitiment I had in any patrols I did was trying to gauge surfacing to replenish dry cells at night time rather than dusing the day...and having terrible trouble keeping a fit crew.

It's still on my computer as the only naval game I own...but I have to be honest...it has not been loaded in over a year.

I'll load it tonight...but if I wake up in the morning with a sore head because I fell asleep at my computer desk, I'll hold you personally responsible.

4 is a big improvement over 3 with regard to tedium. While sailing in and out of harbor at slow speed/time is picturesque it is tedious when you have only a little time to invest and want to get into action quickly. 4 makes sailing in and out of port optional. 4 also segregates the crew into three shifts and automatically rotates them, so you don't have to worry about over fatiguing one group during an extended compressed time run to your patrol sector. 4 also has way more interesting patrol missions, especially if you start in the Phillipines because you have quick access to heavily trafficked routes.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 28
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/2/2008 7:34:13 PM   
andym

Yes there is a fix,got to the subsim site.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php

Heres the guff on Vista.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105144

With regards to the Missions,you are tasked to patrol a certain area,when and how you get there and what happens in between is up to you.With the GWX mod you will get contact reports from other Uboats and the BDu and are at liberty to follow them up.If you dont patrol the given area then you will lose "renown" points which enable you to upgrade your Boat and crew.At present most of my patrols out of Freiderichaven have me patrolling off the Rockall Bank,so i steam as fast as poss to the area,patrol it then on the return look for targets of oppertunity.I even took a look in Loch Ewe NAval base,that was untill i sankUsually i return back via the east coast of UK and pick up some decent tonnage and the odd ASW Trawler.So if you REALLY wanto be gung ho,take atrip to Scapa Flow and see whats loafing in the harbour.

Heres a few screenies for your delectation.Some are Pre GWX and some post.

< Message edited by andym -- 10/2/2008 7:38:58 PM >

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 29
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/3/2008 1:11:18 AM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Silent Hunter III had the best graphics of any sub sim I had played up until then. Unfortunately it also had StarForce.

Was there ever a patch released that removed StarForce from the original boxed version?

You can install SH3 from the DVD, DO NOT RUN IT YET (as this starts up the starforce installation), patch it with the official patch, then just download the "patch we shall not name on the forum", take the DVD out, aplly said "patch", and run the game SF free.

I bought this game back before I even knew what StarForce was, and it jacked my DVD drive up completely until I reformatted the whole computer. I refuse now to buy ANYTHING with any intrusive DRM on it at all, Starforce, Securom, or whatever, but was already stuck with this one. Needless to say, the workaround above will allow those of use who legally bought the game to play it without putting our PCs at risk.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Silent Hunter Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI