Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Schwerpunkt Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Schwerpunkt Games Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 3:19:11 AM   
sabre1

Anyone have an opinon on these games? Anglo/German War (AGW), and Russo/German War (RGW) I believe are the two titles currently out. I am curious if anyone is playing them on Vista. Thanks for the help.

Post #: 1
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 3:21:30 AM   
sabre1

Sorry about that I meant to post it in the general discussion area.  Just so there is no hard feelings with SSG, I am now going to purchase a copy of Kharkov.  I knew I just needed a reason to get a new game. 

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 2
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 5:27:38 AM   
junk2drive

I bought it and could never figure it out. Partly my fault as I have no experience with these types of games but also because the interface is hard to use.

GJK posts here at various forums and wrote a good review over at Armchair General. He also wrote a tutorial.

There are some macros at gamesquad to make the UI more normal but I haven't tried them yet.

BTW comes with a nice spiral bound manual.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 3
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 5:29:37 AM   
junk2drive

For your Vista questions see the Schwerpunkt forum at wargamer.com

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 5:40:26 AM   
sabre1

Thanks Junk2drive.  I will keep an eye on it.  It looked interesting, but I have heard so little about it.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 6:22:02 AM   
GJK

I had very high hopes for AGW and still think that the game inside is good, but the UI is just atrocious and frustrating. I recently launched it to play it again and gave up in frustration after 5 minutes; I just didn't have the patience to remember how to use that interface.

However, the designer has been active working on his next release and promises to clean up the interface - though it's been in the works for some time (but granted, he is a one-man team so progress moves slowly).

As I summarized in my review; if you're an old-time (grandpa) board wargamer and enjoy that type of game then AGW would be something that you enjoy, you just have to invest the time to learn how to control the units with that clunky interface (also, there is no map scrolling - you need a macro as J2D mentions above).

P.S. How ya doin' J2D, long time no chat with you!

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 6:52:53 AM   
Adam Parker

Ron Dockal is a great guy and a gentleman to deal with. He is a true gamer who believes in the beauty of classic board wargaming and putting all that we love there on the PC. I own his games going right back to "Smolensk".

Unfortunately it has taken Ron a while to absorb the feedback of his customers regarding the extreme clunkiness of his UI's. Very difficult map scrolling, lots of clicks etc.

He also imo, needs to refine his patching procedure - right now for example RGW needs every single patch, one by one in order to bring up to date. There's about 7 of them.

Ron's best achievement? The way he has been able to create great unit counters, chock full of information when other designers struggle just to put a tank icon on theirs. His round air unit counters are a thing of virtual board gaming beauty.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 7
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 8:06:04 AM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Ron's best achievement? The way he has been able to create great unit counters, chock full of information when other designers struggle just to put a tank icon on theirs. His round air unit counters are a thing of virtual board gaming beauty.

You nailed it here - that is what I loved most about his games. I *hate* having to click on every single unit/counter/3d icon/pretty Panzer General looking tank in computer wargames just to see how much strength they have or how far they can move. Ron has that and much more information all presented on the counter - brilliance! Except that board wargames *had* to do that long before - and Ron has nicely retained that attribute.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 8
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/4/2008 6:11:14 PM   
Brigz

I like both Russo/German War and Anglo/German War mainly because they are about as close as you can get to a board game on computer. Yes, the UI is a bit clunky but if you stay with it and learn it, it's not so bad. I guess he designed the games the way he did to allow for the "board game" feel. I like the simplicity of the graphics and I also like to figure out all the modifiers and odds when I play a game. Makes me feel like I'm in control of the game instead of having the computer do everything for me. However, if you are not a board gamer I wouldn't recommend them.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 9
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 5:15:15 AM   
bairdlander2

I never figured out the interface,though from the look and the counters this is something I would enjoy,if only I could figure out the UI.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 10
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 5:22:52 AM   
bairdlander2

Anyone have a link to the tutorial,thinking about re installing this game.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 11
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 5:26:14 AM   
junk2drive

wargamer forums way down at the bottom is the hangout.

Post #: 12
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 5:32:04 AM   
bairdlander2

Thanks I just looked and no tutorial there.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 8:29:13 AM   
mgarnett

I've got AGW and I think it's a great game. Like other posters have said, the UI is non-standard and is quirky but once you learn it, it's easy to find your way around. The unit counters are great and is something that I wish HPS could replicate in their games as I think the PzC and Ancient Warfare series games would benefit greatly.

There are tons of scenarios out of the box and the AI is passable and will give you an OK fight.

My only gripe is no direct download purchase, so snail mail is your only option to get hold of them.

Cheers

Mark

Post #: 14
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 4:19:09 PM   
rickier65

I ahd RGW, and enjoyed it. It does a nostalgic board game feel but I thought it played well. Unfortunately I've lost my cd for RGW - Still have the manual in hope I'll stumble across the cd, but that probably wont happen.

Rick

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 15
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/16/2010 9:19:51 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Unfortunately I've lost my cd for RGW

Contact Ron Dockal at Schwerpunkt and he'll probably send you a replacement disk.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 16
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/17/2010 8:02:01 AM   
diablo1

I found issue with AGW in the stacking feature. It reminded me too much of Kampfgruppe from the 80's where you could stack your entire army into one hex and bowl over the ai with ease. In Battlegroup they fixed this exploit with a 2 unit stacking limit and I think a HQ. Plus as others have said the UI is atrocious. I haven't gone back to it since but still have it. Might sell it on ebay soon though as it's getting no playtime.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 17
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/17/2010 4:34:33 PM   
pzgndr

FYI, the UI in the upcoming Middle East Wars is improved.  Maybe still not what some may want, but hopefully less atrocious?  Anyway, the new and improved game model will become the foundation for a future Schwerpunkt WWII-Europe game to update RGW and AGW.  Most significant is the revised combat model using odds-based modifiers rather than unit-size; more realistic that way and more consistent with other games.

FWIW, it's the boardgame feel that keeps me coming back.  TOAW and the upcoming War in the East are fine, but the grognard level of detail accounting for every last squad, tank and gun gets too complicated.  It's nice to have an operational level alternative with simple unit attack/defense/movement factors.  Perhaps not for everyone, but still.  

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 18
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/17/2010 5:58:51 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Unfortunately I've lost my cd for RGW

Contact Ron Dockal at Schwerpunkt and he'll probably send you a replacement disk.

I did consider that, but it was so long ago, > 5yrs, I think, that i didn't figure he had any records left of customers.

Thanks for suggestion though
Rick

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 19
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/17/2010 8:24:09 PM   
sabre1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Thanks I just looked and no tutorial there.

Bairdlander,

The tutorial download for AGW is here:

http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/AGWDesc.html

Post #: 20
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/18/2010 3:46:28 PM   
Alan Sharif

I actually think the East Front game is the better of the two for a solo player as the AI in the Western Front game is rubbish imo. So, unless you have someone to game with go for the East Front game.  I am looking forward to his Arab-Israeli game and find the interface manageable but agree clicking on every unit is a nightmare. 

A Sharif

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 21
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/18/2010 6:39:04 PM   
V22 Osprey

Haven't tried any of these games yet. Seeing the reactions about the interface, I think I will wait and start off with the middle east title.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 22
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/25/2010 11:24:06 AM   
Emilio

I don't understand why so many discussions about RGW and AGW. Just take an old game and see its UI if is match for today games. RGW has some years rolling out, and AGW is a bit newer, but based in the same concept (not the same engine). Same about IA (or, as Ron calls, Computer Opponent).

The new Middle East game looks very promising, and it will be the platform to develop WW-II Europe.

I own both, RGW & AGW. True, I like more RGW because I have more space for my tanks, but man, it's Russia. Mobile warfare is made for it :D. Until now I didn't find a similar game for enjoying the East Front, maybe the incoming War in the East, but still in the kitchen...

I will also take Middle East, since no company excepting Simulations Canada (incoming Flashpoint MDE) is interested in such war area. Maybe it could be a good mix. Flashpoint MDE for a more tactical approach and Middle East 1948-2010 for a strategical one.

Emilio

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 23
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/25/2010 4:24:57 PM   
Widell

I don't think it's about the UI as such, it's more about the general design philosophy of the UI which is not simplistic, to say the least, for these games. 

(in reply to Emilio)
Post #: 24
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/25/2010 4:51:03 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emilio

I don't understand why so many discussions about RGW and AGW. Just take an old game and see its UI if is match for today games. RGW has some years rolling out, and AGW is a bit newer, but based in the same concept (not the same engine). Same about IA (or, as Ron calls, Computer Opponent).

The new Middle East game looks very promising, and it will be the platform to develop WW-II Europe.

I own both, RGW & AGW. True, I like more RGW because I have more space for my tanks, but man, it's Russia. Mobile warfare is made for it :D. Until now I didn't find a similar game for enjoying the East Front, maybe the incoming War in the East, but still in the kitchen...

I will also take Middle East, since no company excepting Simulations Canada (incoming Flashpoint MDE) is interested in such war area. Maybe it could be a good mix. Flashpoint MDE for a more tactical approach and Middle East 1948-2010 for a strategical one.

Modern Wars Vol 1(JTCS Modern Warfare module) will cover the Middle East wars. Using the same engine as JTCS, means it will also be a tactical platoon level game. So Flashpoint is not the only MDE game incoming. Should release in the next couple of months.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Emilio)
Post #: 25
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 7/26/2010 7:16:45 PM   
Capt Cliff

I have a Schwerpunkt Game and found it unplayable. Why they tried to mimic a old paper chit game is beyond me.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 26
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 12/22/2014 7:31:09 AM   
Templer_12

Schwerpunkt Games published World War II - Europe.
Any opinions on this?

< Message edited by Templer -- 12/23/2014 12:06:46 AM >

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 27
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 12/22/2014 11:57:27 AM   
Gilmer

So, can you still not download the games? I thought they had updated that?

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 28
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 12/22/2014 12:23:08 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

So, can you still not download the games? I thought they had updated that?

quote:

Schwerpunkt Games

They can be downloaded now. I believe they send you a link to a drop box after the order has been made.

http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/

< Message edited by Grim.Reaper -- 12/22/2014 1:24:41 PM >

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 29
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 12/22/2014 2:52:38 PM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

Schwerpunkt Games published World War II - Europe.
And opinions on this?

first impressions article here http://grogheads.com/?p=6978

bigger review coming in January

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Schwerpunkt Games Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI