Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: February 1944 Production and VP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 1944 Production and VP Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/13/2008 5:30:05 PM   
John 3rd

Since I am bored with nothing to do I decided to find all the information I could on what Dan has lost in terms of AP/AK.  Cuttlefish got me to think so I reviewed my typed notes.  I have detailed notes on class breakdown starting in November 1942.  The year pervious to that I have no real clue as to what Dan's losses were but they were terrible.

My notes state that from November 1942 to February 1, 1944, Dan has lost 62 AP and 377 AK.  I would hazard a guess of at least 20 AP and 100 AK sunk in the year of action prior to these notes.  The Allies have lost 1,103 vessels to date in the war.  Realistically Dan has lost at least 80 AP and nearly 500 AK to all causes.  If anything this total is probably understated...

Anyone know what that means for the Allied player at this stage in the war?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1081
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/13/2008 9:45:02 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Anyone know what that means for the Allied player at this stage in the war?

Less micromanagement?

Seriously I have no glue. If you wanted and if it is allowed by your house rules and comrady you could find it out with WitP Tracker for instance.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1082
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 2:01:08 AM   
John 3rd

I don't think that I should ask Dan.  Might make him even more paranoid then he is!

Are their any Allied Fan Boys out there who would have a clue as to an Allied Ballpark figure for AKs/APs for this point in the war?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 1083
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 3:09:12 AM   
n01487477

John,
"if" you are using the latest Tracker version, it should give you a break down of what has been sunk (excluding FOW) ... Tracker will not and should not tell you how many ships he has of each Class... only your opponenet can tell you this exactly...

Michael is probably gearing up for Sunday Football and is incommunicado ... but he has the ability to show this for your game... (below is NOT)

Can I help you set this up and get you using it sometime? There is a new version of Tracker coming out shortly, I hope ... it has some interesting new features.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/14/2008 3:15:06 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1084
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 3:28:10 AM   
John 3rd

COOL!  I tried installing it earlier and couldn't get it to run.  How long to your new version?  When it comes out perhaps you could hold my hand and we get it done?

Michael learned the hard way (1 hour on the phone) how computer illiterate I am! 

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1085
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 5:04:30 AM   
ny59giants

Here are the ships sunk as of 1/19/44.

John can always ask for help from me to install Tracker. I've tried to get him to do so for some time, but......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1086
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 5:23:56 AM   
n01487477

Michael,
I thought you'd be stocking up on frozen pizza, pretzels & beer for your Sunday marathon. I notice I can't PM you any more as you have changed your settings.

So how about zipping the whole Tracker folder once you have set it up for John (the properties file), before you have loaded a turn. This way he should be able to just run it straight away ... just check his path to WITP.(and it shouldn't be a huge download)

Also get him to check the Java version ... if it doesn't work.
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Latest Java version
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

This is the simplest solution I can think of ...

John, you estimated pretty well. I would assume that Dan still has a large amount of AP's and I dare say quite a few AK's.. Love the 131 PT's to 1 ! Having better than parity in all major ship types are figures many JFB's would love at this stage of the game. Kudos.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/14/2008 5:24:43 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1087
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 10:18:21 AM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Here are the ships sunk as of 1/19/44.

John can always ask for help from me to install Tracker. I've tried to get him to do so for some time, but......

This is just about half of what John estimated in AK/AP losses. Is this data taken from the events (sinkings) and thus an addition of each turns losses or is it taken from the sunk ship list (less FoW)?
To me the latter option would make more sense as the first option would require reading in every turn. But then, this is something John could have checked in the WitP sunk ship list as well. Granted WitP tracker is easier to handle and generally a hell of a tool.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1088
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 10:45:40 AM   
n01487477

quote:

original John: Realistically Dan has lost at least 80 AP and nearly 500 AK to all causes

I read this and thought they were John's totals for the full war (top post). And so I think the numbers are close... John what do you think ? And these Tracker numbers are somewhat out of date now ...

Mistmatz, you are correct - this is a read of the "total ships sunk" minus those still unaccounted due to FOW. So, "Yes" John could count all those ships in the game sunk display, and get the same result, but I wouldn't want to!

Cheers
Damian

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 1089
RE: February 1944 Production and VP - 9/14/2008 4:00:34 PM   
John 3rd

Wow  I go to sleep and wake-up with 5 new posts on the Thread! 

Those numbers are pretty darned close to what I was guessing at.  Keeping in mind that the vast majority of my losses have only come in the six months and one can see why Dan was depressed!  I am in pretty fair shape still with the Fleet.  DDs are where I am in terrible shape.

Single biggest column that got my attention on the list was the number of TK Dan has lost.  You can probably add 8 more with the next turn.

If Michael can do what you suggest with Tracker Damian then I will give it a try.  When I get back from seeing my Father I'll check the Java version out.

As always...thanks for the help!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1090
The Battle of Sumatra - 9/17/2008 3:52:15 AM   
John 3rd

Here are the most recent developments in the Sumatra area:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1091
On the Map... - 9/17/2008 4:13:44 AM   
John 3rd

I posted my current notes regarding Sumatra and so I feel I should touch on the other active areas at the moment:

The Kuriles
I have lifted off the 2nd Amphib Brigade from Kunashiri and reinforced the island with 20,000 supply as well as a HQ and CD unit.  Dan tried to intervene here and a battle was fough between CL Yahgi and 6 DD versus an American CA, CL, CLAA, and 8 DD.  The Japanese get hit hard and love 5 DDs but mange to sink the CLAA and 2 DD.  I can ill-afford the losses but the STF does manage to keep the American TF off of the AP/AK there.  I'll take it as a victory.

The Solomons
The Americans are trying series of foolish 1-3 ship invasions of Japanese held islands.  I've moved the 4 CVE to Tulagi and plan to move them in and sink some ships and troops. 

Australia
The Aussies are advancing on Tennant Creek in overwelming numbers.  Last count showed a stack of nearly 40  units moving up from Alice Springs.  I am pulling back as quickly as possible.  Engineers are digging in at Amboina, Lautem, and Koepang.

Dan's decision to pursue my troops northwards leaves Perth still producing resources and supply and I am milking it for all that is worth.

CBI
Somehow Dan takes Saigon from the Japanese.  I do not know how or why.  He only had 7 Chinese Corps attacking 2 1/2 Japanese Inf Div behind Fort-9 defenses.  Nevertheless, he takes the town on the 6th and CBI appears ready for complete collapse...

HOW did the British manage to do NOTHING here during the real war???

Convoy
A MASSIVE convoy leaves Brunei on February 3rd carrying 370,000 oil and 100,000 resources for the Home Islands.  Any SS that tries to get int he way will be creamed.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1092
Timeout Feature! - 9/18/2008 5:29:48 PM   
John 3rd

I just spent 30 minutes typing in my most recent update only to forget to copy it and LOSE the DAMNED thing when the Forum site timed out on me...

Lordy I wish there was some way to be warned by the system when the timeout was reached...

Back to RETYPING the whole thing...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1093
RE: Timeout Feature! - 9/18/2008 5:40:30 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Yea, I type all my long posts in notepad first.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1094
Ducking and Weaving! Mixed Results... - 9/18/2008 5:59:46 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 8-11, 1944

As I retype this I will try to keep my sanity and not condense my thinking and writing.  Here goes...

I feel like Apollo Creed right now as I duck and weave around Dan's punches at the Empire.  I've had some decent successes and failures in the 4 day set of turns.

North Pacific
Onneketon Jima--I staged the counterlanding here as I had planned with an Infantry Brigade.  For some reason my troops took horrific casualties on the actual landing.  I get 5,000 of the 8,000 troops turned into casaulties.  They were prepped at 55% and shouldn't have had that happen.  I evac the survivors back to Paramushiro Jima.

This landing provokes Dan into a STF sortie.  I had hoped he would and my LBA provides a decent accoutn of itself.  PJ launches 51 F, 19 DB, and 8 TB.  For the loss of 12 F, 4 DB and 1 TB I hit CA Wichita with a Torp and Bomb, and plaster a DD with the same.  Not too bad...

CV Katsuragi--This new flattop sinks a TK SE of the Kuriles on the 8th and then moves SE.  She encounters what appears to be a major American resupply effort on the 11th.  Six separate TF are spotted.  Unfortunately they are protected by 4 CVE.  In an afternoon exchange of strikes, the Japanese attack with 17 Zero and 32 Jills versus 32 Hellkitties.  I expect to lose all my planes; however, am surprised with only 4 Z and 6 J are shot down.  The rest do OK in that they hit 2 of 4 CVEs.  CVE White Plains takes 2 Torps and Kalinin Bay gets 1 TT (I think those are the correct names).  Now it is the Allies turn as 3 strikes of 4 Hellcats and 8 Avengers sweep in to attack.  My 7 Zeros manage to shot down 3 F6F and 3 Avengers but 4 Torps find their mark.  I scuttle the CV at the end of the turn. 

For her short life this CV did manage to sink 3 TK, damage 2 more, and hit a pair of CVEs.  Far better then what it did in real life which was NOTHING!  Still...

South Pacific
Shortlands--Dan continues with these little invasions and this time it costs him.  A TF of 4 large AK begin unloading what appears to be a Combat Command of an American Infantry Division.  My CVEs make their presense known in the region by sinking all of the AKs and cause over 1,500 casualties to the landing force!  I start loading 3 large Naval Guard units at Rabaul to finish off the Americans.

I spot Allied shipping off of Rarotonga and NW of Pago Pago on the 11th and move Betty and Frances to give them a rude reception.

Australia
Tennant Creek--The size of the Aussie force approaching this town is frightening.  I have decided to fight a delaying action with actually fighting.  When his troops enter the hex next to the town I will order a pullout and retreat to the next city up the road.  I'll do the same thing there and then fallback to Katherine.  When I leave Katherine and I will move directly to Darwin and evac my troops to Timor (Lautem and Koepang) and Amboina.  There are 2 1/2 Inf Div, 4 Art Reg, 1 Eng Reg, and 2 Aviation Reg.  I have AP/AK already heading for Darwin.

Additionally I have 3 Convoys hauling 20,000+ Suple to each of these three towns so they are well supplied for the coming attack.  I've had Engineers and Construction Battalions digging in at those locations since last November.

Kalgoorlie--Dan takes this town on the 10th.  Looks like te last Perth resource convoy is loading and will leave within a few days...

Sumatra
I continue to evac troops that have been cutoff by the Allied drive down the east coast.  I'm losing lots of AG but who cares.  They are getting the troops out andthat is all that matters.

My LBA continues to extract blood from Dan's AK/AP.  In this 4 day period I sink 1 DD, 3 AK, and 2 big AP (President-Class).

I am shuttling over 3 large, rested brigades from Singapore to Palembang.  These troops will--with other forces present--move and then attack the Allied lodgement at Padang.

My LBA launches an unauthorized strike at Sabang on the 10th.  A small strike froce of 4 Tony and 16 Frances attack a STF there guarded by 2 dozen Fighters.  Amazingly they fight their way through and make drops on BC Renown and BB Queen Elizabeth.  Two Torps smash into the old BBs side!  Pretty fair...

CBI
Hanoi--I said months ago that the war was lost in the CBI.  This now appear to be more certain.  My troops inside of Haiphong's defenses won't retreat to the hex SW of there where my soldiers from Hanoi sit.  If Dan can wipe these troops out then I will not be able to stop the advance into Indochina.

I predict by June 1, 1944, Dan will have me driven back into Malaya and my prime Oil Centers will be under massed 4EB attack.  It is done.

There will be no more troops sent there.  I have several Brigades due to arrive as reinforcements over the next month and they will help but that is all. 

I cannot believe the Allied troops strength in this theatre!  I've said ti before and I am sure I'll say it again but WHAT did the British actually DO with these troops doing the real war?  It is a scary thing watching all this and knowing that losing is only a matter of time...

That about covers the re-written report.  As you can see it is a case of Ducking and Weaving with good and bad results.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1095
RE: Ducking and Weaving! Mixed Results... - 9/18/2008 6:40:47 PM   
castor troy

Onnekotan Jima: you´ve landed during winter time and this is COLD ZONE, which means you take three times as many casualties during landing than if you would land in a non cold zone.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1096
RE: Ducking and Weaving! Mixed Results... - 9/18/2008 7:40:43 PM   
John 3rd

Arggg...I did not know that.  Consider it another lesson learned.  Thanks Castor!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1097
RE: January 9, 1944 - 9/19/2008 3:03:05 AM   
n01487477

John,
I said something about both these issues back here ...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1897087.

I now have to find out if the zoning is the same for all maps

Damian

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1098
Ducking and Weaving! Mixed Results... - 9/19/2008 3:06:30 AM   
John 3rd

Just did a turn from Dan and spent a surprising amount of time working on it.  I am trying to figure out what Dan will do next in the Pacific.  It would be insanity for him to attack Hokkaido again due to the huge amount of ground strength I have there right now; however, his CVs and most of the American Fleet is there.  He might just be stubborn enough to try something more.

What concerns me is the large number of convoys are currently headed NE from Midway.  These are the steps I take:
1.  I decide to stand-down most of my bombers, dive bombers, and torpedo planes to rest and build up their morale prior to this large target arriving. 
2.  Additionally, I order a concentration of Japanese warships at Ominato.  We together there will be 2 BB, 1 CA, 3 CL, and 8-10 DD.  I may use those ships for an attempted surface intercept. 
3.  I've ordered about 8 SS to a patrol line SE of the Kuriles.  Half fan out with their Glens and the other half will set-up a line where I expect him to cross into the Kurile Line.
4.  I move several Daitai/Sentai from their training in China to Home Islands and upgrade their Fighters.  This is about 200 Fighters supplementing the 500 or so already present.

Reinforcements:
This month is a banner month for air and land reinforcements.  I gain several new Brigades and Aviation units in Japan as well as a nice number going into Malaya.  Nine air units just formed today and I moved them to China for training.

Transfers:
I reached enough Political Points to transfer the assignment of a China Infantry Division (62nd), 2 Construction Btn, and an AA unit to 4th Fleet.  Where to???  I have no idea where to place these additions. 

A.  My gut tells me that Okinawa is solid (AS 1,500 @ Naha and 1,100 @ Kadena--Forts 9). 
B.  Formosa could use some help though it is in decent shape.  I have about 1,800 AS spread around the island.  Would like to bump that to 2,500 or so.
C.  Philippines are weaker then I would like since I pulled Inf Div from there to reinforce Malaya and Hokkaido.
D.  The insanity could still occur and I see Hokkaido hit again...

Anybody got a crystal ball here????

Should note that the American STF that tried to hit Onnekotan Jima on the 11th and saw CA Wichita and a DD hit by planes from Paramushiro Jima got hit again as it retreated on the 12th.  Another pair of US DDs took bomb hits and CA Wichita was further damaged by 3 250 Kg bombs (total now 1 TT and 4 Bombs).  The ship is still 6 hexes from home port so I send an SS aong its line of retreat to try and get lucky...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1099
RE: January 9, 1944 - 9/19/2008 3:09:52 AM   
John 3rd

You are right Damian. Thanks for the reminder! No more landings in COLD weather.

We still need to install Tracker. Let me get past my Sentencing Hearing next Thursday and we can do it in relative peace...

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

John,
I said something about both these issues back here ...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1897087.

I now have to find out if the zoning is the same for all maps

Damian

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1100
RE: January 9, 1944 - 9/19/2008 3:51:49 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Anybody got a crystal ball here????

First thing you need to do is force him to keep his CVs in Russia protecting those two bases. Once they get built up enough that he feels he can pull them out, your in trouble.

Second, even though your economic situation has improved, I doubt you have enough Oil in Japan to have your economy run if it is cut off. Thus, keeping your economy running as long as possible is very important, IMO. I would be building up the fighter force over Palembang to make any attack on your Oil there very costly.

Once an economics minister, always an economics minister.

With my knowledge of your disposition a few weeks ago, I would land at Formosa if I was Dan. This would effectively surround Japan.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1101
Thanks - 9/25/2008 12:01:00 AM   
John 3rd

Hello readers.

I have gotten several personal emails from people putting me in their thoughts for my Sentencing Hearing tomorrow.  I cannot express how much those notes and your support has meant.  Just found out from my attorney that I will have to move out of the home for a short time until my Parental Risk Assessment is finished.  There have been all sorts o SNAFUs in getting it finished.

This will be very rough for a week to ten days.  Hopefully, things will break in our favor when the PRA is done and the Judge can rule in my favor.

I share all this to explain why I haven't done a recent entry and to let those who have been so helpful and supportive know that I have gotten their messages and greatly appreciate it.

Warmly,
John  

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1102
Life's Chaos - 9/26/2008 9:35:32 PM   
John 3rd

I have emailed Dan that we need to temporarily suspend our game until I can get life straightened out.  Things SHOULD be settled within 7-10 days and we can pick up where we have left off.

THANKS again for all the support and I will update as soon as I can.
John

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1103
RE: Life's Chaos - 9/26/2008 10:04:13 PM   
USSAmerica

John, what doesn't kill us.....

Stay strong, my friend! 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1104
Combat Report: February 12-28, 1944 - 10/6/2008 4:48:51 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 12-28, 1944

Overview:
I have not done a comprehensive region-by-region update of the Japanese Empire in ages so I have decided to do exactly that with this AAR update.  It is my intention to narrate events in each theatre, state major forces in the theatre, and plans for the future.

The action is centering around Sumatra and Malaya.  I have concentrated nearly the entire Japanese Fleet there and have given battle to the British Eastern Fleet.  There have been good results for the effort but things hang in the balance.

Dan gets a massive convoy through the Pacific and he is now free to do anything he wants at Sakhalin.  I couldn’t give battle because the Fleet would have been lost for no real chance of success.  The next Allied attack in the Pacific will meet strictly LBA and ground units.  With this being the reality, I have moved troops to reinforce Okinawa and Formosa.  Neither target will be easy for the Americans to take.

When this event appears to be happening I will initiate the Divine Wind with everything I can…

It should be simply stated that the war is already over.  When Dan gets B-29s he can place them at Iwo Jima and Sakhalin and pound my industry into dust.  Conversely, if I lose much more of Sumatra/Malaya, my major resource centers will be in deep trouble.  I’ve opted to fight for the resource centers…

North Pacific
I still hold Dutch Harbor, Umnak, Kodiak, Amchitka, and Attu.  There are minimal ground forces present.  I still fly recon out of these bases to watch Allied convoys but that is about it.  There are about 20-30 Transports at Dutch Harbor ferrying a Brigade to Amchatka where it is then flown to Paramushiro Jima.

These bases will fall if Dan wants them.  Once that Brigade is flown out then I will shift to Base Forces and Aviation units.

Central Pacific
I have strong garrisons at Wake, Marcus, the Marianas, and Kwajalein.  These bases are still decently supplied I can move aircraft between them without issue.  There are aerial recon units at Wake and Marcus plus a few bombers.

The 20th Infantry Division at Kwajalein has begun prepping for an invasion of Rarotonga.
I am gathering shipping at that base for the move southwards.

South Pacific
Over the last 4-6 weeks I have been moving supplies and fuel to Truk, Rabaul, Lunga and Suva.  Dan has initiated a number of small—CHEAP—landings in this area and I have moved by 4 CVE into the area to cause some chaos.  Traveling with the CVEs is 1 CA, 2 CL, and 5 DD.  A small STF of 1 CL and 5 DD has arrived at Rabaul and is now headed to Noumea.

Dan landed at Shortlands (2/12), Buin (2/16), and Espiritu Santo (2/08).  He took the first two bases because nothing was defending them.  ES had enough troops to hold off the Allied attack.  I moved 2 Daitai of Betty 2 and a Daitai of Frances into the area and they raised a little Hell.  As that occurred my CVEs moved into the area and added to the excitement. 

I pick-up troops and move them onto each target.  I recapture Shortlands (2/17), Buin (2/19), and resistance ends at ES (2/19).  I take a total of 2,800 POW from the 40th Infantry Division and about 600 POW from a Tank Battalion.  While this is happening I manage to sink about 10 AK/AP and damage another 8-10 ships during the fighting.

My CVEs are moving SW from Suva right now hunting Allied shipping that departed from Rarotonga.  The CVEs carry about 120 planes of very good quality pilots who can do some good work if given the opportunity.  This force will support the 20th Inf Division when it lands at Rarotonga.

Dan reinforced his little garrison there with an Engineer unit.  I have 1 Daitai of Betty 2 bombing the AF and another Daitai of Frances set to Naval Attack operating from the Society Islands.  Since I am keeping the Forts from being built by my AF attacks, I HOPE to take the island back, force the surrender of about 6,000 US Troops and then retire the 20th ID back to Kwajalein.  Don’t know if it will work by WHY NOT!

Australia
Dan continues a relentless drive pushing the Japanese towards the NW Coast.  Currently I hold Tennant Creek but have lost Perth and all the cities in western Australia.  I was greatly stressed because the 56th Brigade was hung up one hex SE of Tennant Creek and I feared that it would be cutoff by the Aussies retaking Tennant Creek. 

Thankfully, the Brigade made it to Tennant Creek so I could pull my troops out.  I had ordered all units out about February 15th with the exception the 10th and 18th (??) Infantry Divisions.  There are nearly 40 Aussie units pursuing me and I am RUNNING to Darwin as fast as possible.

As quickly as troops reach Darwin they are being lifted off and sent to Amboina, Lautem, Koepang, Dili Dili, and Kendari.  Engineers have been digging in each location since November 1943 and Forts are in very good shape.  My last convoys from Perth delivered 20,000 supply to Koepang and 15,000 supply to Lautem. 

I’ve ordered more supplies and some minor units (Con Bat and small Base Force) from Okinawa and Formosa to strengthen my lines by landing at Makassar, Bali, Menado, and Balikpapan.  Prior Proper Planning is the rule-of-thumb here. 

Combat units from Australia will be divided in the following manner:
1.  Amboina—56th Inf Brigade, 2 SNLF, an Artillery Regiment, and an Engineering Regiment.
2.  Lautem—an Infantry Division and an Artillery Regiment
3.  Koepang—An Infantry Division and an Artillery Regiment
4.  Dili-Dili—Army HQ and several minor units
5.  Kendari—A new Infantry Brigade from Japan, an Artillery Regiment, and an Aviation Regiment.

Aerial Units: 
1.  Tennant Creek—48 Army Fighters and 63 Helens
2.  Amboina—3 full Sentai (108 planes) of Army Fighters and 40 CV Torpedo Bombers training on a lost Allied ground unit.    

Malaya/Sumatra/Indochina
The situation here is grave for the Japanese.  I’ll recap by area:

1.  Hanoi has fallen to the Chinese Hordes.  I have 100,000 troops trapped at Haiphong where they have managed to hold off nearly 3 times their number.  Dan isn’t attacking the AF so I have managed to fly out (using about 60 Transports) significant portions of all the units there.  The road south from Hanoi is being held by 3 beat-up Inf Div and an Artillery Regiment.  Engineers are digging in at each of the Vietnamese towns going south to Saigon.

2.  All of eastern Sumatra from Sabang to Bankha is gone.  Dan is moving troops around but there is no road from here to Palembang so it is a dead-end for the Allies.

3.  The Allies landed at Padang near the start of the month and took this town.  They have it but I have managed to take control of the air and have been hitting the base with LBA every few days.  I transferred two full strength Infantry Brigades to Benkolen and linked them up to another 6 units I pulled from Perth when I evacuated it 8 weeks ago.  An Army HQ is here and there are the 2 Inf Brig, an Armored Regiment, and several smaller Infantry units.  These troops are advancing along the western coast of Sumatra.

4.  The Invasion of Malacca—the Allies land here on February 24th.  I will wager that Dan didn’t have his troops prepped for here because they have no offensive punch.  When he began landing I was certain that the base would fall immediately because I only had an AS of about 125 and Forts were only at ONE!  Luckily I had nearly 800 AS of strength at Kuala Lumpur.  Those troops got to Malacca on the 25th!  Their timely arrival enabled me to barely hold the town.  More troops have arrived in the following 4 days and I now have enough to—hopefully—hold the city. 

I say this due to the massive effort put forth by Japanese LBA and Carrier Aviation as well as the damaged BB Yamato.  The 24th to 28th sees a massive aerial struggle over the area as repeated waves of Japanese Fighters and Bombers fight to attack the massed Allied Task Forces.  In the middle of that is a BRILLIANT attack by my STF!  I’ll detail each day:

Febraury 24th
A total of 3 Japanese Strikes hit the Allied Fleet:  230 Fighters, 60 Betty/Frances, 65 Dive Bombers, and 92 Torpedo Bombers fight it out with an Allied CAP of 70+ Fighters.  At the end of the day the Japanese lose a staggering 121 F, 44 DB, 64 TB, and 6 Betty/Frances in exchange for a respectable 77 Allied Fighters.

The bombers do get through each strike and hit the following ships:
CA Exeter        4 B—1 TT
CL Kenya        2 TT
CL DeRuyter    3 B
2 DD are hit
3 AP—2 AK

It is a costly day but it sets up a major victory for the 25th.  Adm. Tanaka Raizo ordered anchors lifted for BB Yamato, 3 CA, 1 CL, 9 DD to sortie for Malacca at full speed…

February 25th
The damage done to the Allied STF leads the British to withdraw their STF to Bankha.  The transports at Malacca are totally exposed for the Japanese attack!  Tanaka’s TF engages two of the Allied Invasion Forces and do massive damage.  It becomes a 1944 version of the Battle of Balikpapan.  Facing minor opposition the Japanese drive Allied shipping from the beaches and manage to sink:  DDs Napier and Vendetta, a MSW, an AP, and 9 AK while inflicting damage on at least 11 more AP/AK.  Nearly 1,100 Allied soldiers are killed during the attack.  With no damage done to his force, Tanaka returns to Singapore to reprovision.

Japanese planes elect to attack the remaining Allied Surface ships at Bankha.  A force of only 25 Allied Fighters defend these ships as the Japanese attack with 140 F, 59 Betty/Frances, 88 TB, 36 DB!  When the attack waves leave, they see the following sight:

BC Renown     SUNK after 8 TT hits!
CA Cornwall    2 TT
CL Enterprise   2 TT
3 DD Damaged

Naturally about 60 Japanese planes attacked Renown AFTER she sank!  If they had diverted the victory would have even been better.  Oh, well…

While that force struck from Singapore, bombers from Palembang went after the transports forced away from Malacaa by Tanaka’s attack.  Another 2 MSW, 2 AP, and 6 AK are hit by the bombers.

Total aerial losses for the day are:  59 F, 6 Betty/Frances, and 4 TB.  The Allies lose 33 Fighters.

The Allied Force launches a Deliberate Attack and NEARLY get a 2-1 (737 to 1471).  Instead it falls as a 1-1 and I HOLD the town.  Reinforcements are moving to this location as fast as they can march.

Nagasaki, Japan           A freshly repaired STF of BB Ise/Hyuga, 1 CA, 2 CL, and 8 DD depart for Singapore. 

February 26th
The landings at Malacca are done as the Invasion TFs move back to Bankha.  Continuing the attack, four separate waves of Japanese planes hit Bankha.  Allied CAP is around 40 Fighters with each attack.  By the end of the day, the Japanese lose 126 Fighters and 23 TB in exchange for 46 Allied Fighters.  While this brawl occurs, numerous bombers attack the TF.  A total of 1 MSW, 3 AP, and 11 AK are hit.

The Allies try another Deliberate Attack and are stomped with a 0-1 result (1509—583).  The town holds again.

From AF throughout China 400 Japanese Fighters and 200 Helens/Betty fly to Formosa to change out their planes and then head for Singapore and Palembang.

Having lost 50% of their strength, the Japanese CV raise anchors at Singapore and retire towards Soerabaja for fuel and planes replacements.  6 CV and 6 CVL are escorted with a minimal complement of 8 DD. 

Admiral Tanaka weighs anchor for a bombardment attack.

February 27th
No Allied opposition materializes as BB Yamato, 3 CA, 1 CL, and 9 DD bombard Allied positions at Malacca.  Though disappointing, the bombardment yields 1,372 Casualties and 39 Guns. 

A day of respite as I rotate my Fighters and Bombers between Palembang, Singapore, Batavia, and Soerabaja.

February 28th
With no CAP over Malacca, nearly 200 LB Bombers hit Allied positions causing over 400 casualties. 

BB Warspite is spotted at Bankha.

Tanaka raises anchor to hit the beachhead again though this time two TF are sent.  BB Yamato, 3 CA, 1 CL, 7 DD are to bombard and 3 CA, 2 CL, and 8 DD sweep ahead as escorts…

As the clock strikes midnight and we move into March 1944, the Allies are socked with a 2600 Political Point penalty for not withdrawing a CV and 2 DD.  That has got to hurt…

Malacca Situation:
The forces at Malacca as of February 28th are:

Allies:  3 China Corps, 5 Art Regiments, 1 Indian Div, 1 Indian TK Brigade, the 2nd and 18th UK Inf Div, and 33rd Corps HQ.  Not all of these units were fully unloaded so there are fragments.  My cursor tells me that there are about 50,000 troops ashore.

Japan:  2 Inf Div, 3 Regiments/Brigades, 2 Engineering Reg, 1 Aviation Reg, and 2 small BF.  I have another Inf Div, 2 Brigades, 1 TK Reg, and 4 Engineering units due to arrive over the next day or two.  My Fort level is zero but is climbing at a rate of 8-10% per day. 

China
I am quietly moving troops back into southern China.  Dan has moved so damned many Chinese troops into Hanoi/Haiphong, Sumatra, and Malaya; I think I may try a serious offensive down here.  I am not too excited at the prospects but will see what happens.

As stated, I pull about 40% of the aircraft based in China training missions to Formosa.  There are still about 500 Fighters and 200 Bombers in theatre.  I have to be careful since Dan has started basing fighters in China to slow my training program.  With him losing so many fighters in the actions of the last week I hope to see some of these units move back to Burma and Sumatra.

Home Islands
I have a bunch of reinforcements arriving right now and feel pretty good about troops strength within Japan.  After his taking of Hokkaido and Sakhalin, I feared another attack on the mainland because I was quite vulnerable.  With Hokkaido back in my hands, I have dispersed the troops around Japan for protective measure and everything looks pretty good.    

I have about 700 Fighters flying CAP throughout the Home Isles.  There are periodic raids from Iwo Jima and Sakhalin by Liberators but I tend to shot a decent number down.  This is good but I know it won’t last when the B-29s arrive.

The Home Islands landed a huge convoy last month of nearly 400,000 oil and 150,000 resources.  An additional convoy of nearly the same amounts is getting ready to sortie from Brunei in about 4-5 days.

Summation
While things are grim and will only get worse, I am happy to know that at this late juncture I am still inflicting massed harm on the Allied Fleet.  I copied from my Industrial Report and current sinkings list for last month and game-to-date:

Ships Sunk
Japan   738—7,671 VP (up 739)—I lost 69 ships and 13 barges during February.  For the most part, the losses remain in are of support shipping.  These were my losses:  20 AK, 18 AP, 9 MSW, 9 PC, 1 AR, 2 PT, 6 DD, CV Katsuragi and 3 SS. 

Major Japanese Vessels Sunk to Date---CV Junyo, Hiyo, Hiryu, and Katsuragi, BB Fuso, Yamashiro, Mutsu, Nagato, and Musashi, BC Kirishima and Haruna, 5 CA , 12 CL, 94 DD, and 39 SS.

Allies    1,174---13,525 VP (up 828)---Dan lost 71 ships for the month of February.  Exact Losses are:  48 AK, 7 AP, 4 MSW, 1 PG, 1 TK, 1 LCT, 5 DD, 3 SS, and BC Renown

Major Allied Vessels Sunk---CVs Enterprise, Lexington, Hornet, Wasp and Intrepid, CVL Langley, 5 CVE, BBs Colorado, West Virginia, Idaho, Tennessee, Arizona, Prince of Wales, Alabama, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Mississippi, BC Renown, 15 CA, 8 CL, 71 DD, and 44 SS.

Japanese Navy
CV—My Carriers are operational but I just took heavy losses in the actions around Singapore.  There are about 75 Zeros and 150 TB/DB in Japan that are moving south to re-equip my carriers.

I have the following CVs around Java:  Shokaku, Zuikaku, Taiho, Amagi, Kaga, and Akagi.  CVLs/CVE there are:  Ryuho, Ryujo, Shoho, Zuiho, Chitose, and Hosho.  There are 4 CVEs operating southwest of Suva.  CV Unryu is nearly repaired at Nagasaki and will head SE towards Suva.  CV Soryu is heavily damaged but being repaired in Kyoto.
I should note that 3 CV and a CVL will be finished in Tokyo about July 1st.

BB--My Battlefleet has been mauled and I have only a few operational BBs.   Ise/Hyuga are fully repaired while Yamato is operating against the British with SYS Dam of 25.  My remaining BC are all under serious repair in the Home Islands.

CA/CL—I have a decent number of cruisers operational at the moment.  The majority are around Singapore.  I have a CA and 3 CL with my CVEs.  There are 3 CA and 2 CL under repair in the Home Islands.

DD—I’ve taken crippling losses in DDs.  Since I have concentrated the Fleet, the DD situation isn’t too bad.  There are about 25 DD around Singapore and 10 DD with the CVEs.  About 12-15 DD are being repaired in the Home Islands.  I will have about 8-10 new DDs finished within the next 1-2 months.

SS—Nearly 2/3 of my SS are being repaired at Tokyo and/or Sendai.  I’ve ordered about half-a-dozen to Singapore with a like amount near Suva. 

AK/AK/TK/AO—My merchant fleet has taken significant losses in the last several months but I still have plenty of lift and carrying capacity for the moment.  I currently have a large amount of AK/TK/AO moving fuel and supplies from Japan to the DEI, Truk, Rabaul, and Suva.

THAT is the whole story.  Does anyone have any questions?  I will welcome any advice too…

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 1105
March 1944 Production and VP - 10/6/2008 4:52:42 PM   
John 3rd

March 1, 1944
Victory Points and Economic Summary

Victory Points:

Score
Japan   51,334  (Up 1,377 Points)
Allies    38,598  (Up 3,346 Points)

It was a wild month with the Allies launching assaults through Sumatra and his recent landing at Malacca, Malaya.  The Allies have now taken all of Australia except the NW Coast.  Dan staged several small invasions of Japanese held islands in the South/SE Pacific where I have reclaimed all of them.

A massive concentration of Japanese naval power is now in the area of Sumatra where the fur has been flying!  The battles have remained going in favor of the Allies but the Japanese do manage to launch continuous counter-punches that have scored a number of Allied sinkings

Ships Sunk
Japan   738—7,671 VP (up 739)—I lost 69 ships and 13 barges during February.  For the most part, the losses remain in are of support shipping.  These were my losses:  20 AK, 18 AP, 9 MSW, 9 PC, 1 AR, 2 PT, 6 DD, CV Katsuragi and 3 SS. 

Major Japanese Vessels Sunk to Date---CV Junyo, Hiyo, Hiryu, and Katsuragi, BB Fuso, Yamashiro, Mutsu, Nagato, and Musashi, BC Kirishima and Haruna, 5 CA , 12 CL, 94 DD, and 39 SS.

Allies    1,174---13,525 VP (up 828)---Dan lost 71 ships for the month of February.  Exact Losses are:  48 AK, 7 AP, 4 MSW, 1 PG, 1 TK, 1 LCT, 5 DD, 3 SS, and BC Renown

Major Allied Vessels Sunk---CVs Enterprise, Lexington, Hornet, Wasp and Intrepid, CVL Langley, 5 CVE, BBs Colorado, West Virginia, Idaho, Tennessee, Arizona, Prince of Wales, Alabama, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Mississippi, BC Renown, 15 CA, 8 CL, 71 DD, and 44 SS.

Manchukuo Garrison---9,029---Down 434---(8,000 Needed)
Political Points---1,966

Units Transferred: 
62nd Infantry Division                China Command to 4th Fleet (sent to Formosa)

Industrial Report
Supply              1,969,586
Fuel                  948,416
Manpower       747 (1,361,174)
Heavy Industry 14,584 (308,126)
Resources        16,751 (2,183,613)
Oil                    2,379 (519,732)

Nearly everything but Oil dropped this month.  My supply decreased by 350,000, fuel down 50,000, manpower down 20,000, my stockpiled HI stayed the same, resources dropped some, and fuel rose 120,000.  Losing the rest of Australia and the Sumatra towns account for most of this.

Shipyards
Naval               1,366 (13)
Merchant          981 (6)
Repair              1,453

Carriers           All CVs are accelerated.
Kasagi             (296 Days)
Aso                  (339 Days)
Ikoma              (346 Days)  
Ibuki                (301 Days)

All DDs under 150 days are accelerated.

Weapons
Armament        575 (13,568)
Vehicles           179 (14,850)

Armaments are dropping quickly.  I have reactivated all my armament plants but have shutoff some of my vehicles.

Aircraft
Engines            2,187
Assembly         1,774+(324-Rd)

A good month for the Japanese:  Engines rose 28, Assembly up 156, and Research up 47.

Engine Production
Mitsubishi         636(64)—Need 653—1,358 in Pool
Nakajima         1,201(54)—Need 1,283---1,322 in Pool
Kawasaki         260---Need 283---195 in Pool
Aichi                90(30)---Need 98---154 in Pool

I ordered a small increase in engines to slow down my use of stockpiled engines.  Will add some to the Kawasaki production this month.

Plane Production
Fighters            Planes/Month (in Pool)
A6M2              0 (115)
A6M3              0 (0)
A6M3a            0 (158)
Oscar               0 (43)
Oscar IIa          0 (29)
Tojo                 25 (0)  
Tony                0 (0)
Jack                 184 (0)
A6M5c            87 (209)
A6M5              305 (240)
Oscar III          44 (33)
Ki-61 Tony      283 (0)
N1K1 George  75 (38)
Frank 1a          135-Rd (08/44)
Frank 1c          44-Rd (12/44)
A6M8              9-Rd (06/45)

My Fighters are a MESS!  Naval fighters are reasonably OK because I am producing three main models:  Jacks (need to expand), A6M5 (steady), and George (up 25 over last month).  The Army side is the problem.  I am bringing Tojo back online (up 17) and expanding Ki-61 Tony (up 25) while the research into Frank continues to expand.

Bombers
Betty                0 (290)
Betty 2             40 (24)
Frances            126 (58)
Sally                 0 (0)
Helen               122 (17)
Peggy               101-Rd (8/44)              TWO months early.
Lily                   40 (8)
Nick-a             20 (14)
Nick-b             12 (0)
Val                   0 (385)
Kate                 0 (140)
Judy                 98 (65)
Jill                    125 (35)
Grace               2-Rd (6/44)
Betty 2e           21-Rd (10/44)

Frances is now in massive production.  I scaled back Betty 2 and am concentrating on Frances.  Helen expanded by 30 planes and Peggy is now due two months early.  Naval aircraft (DB/TB) are doing OK.

Recon/Float
Emily    20 (1)
Alf        0 (4)
Pete     0  (100)
Pete A  0  (32)
Rufe     23 (42)
Glen     0 (45)
Dinah   0 (0)
Irving-R 24 (85)
Irving-S 23 (11)
Jake     0 (0)
Babs    0 (0)
Dinah-3 52 (0)
C6N Myrt 14-Rd (03/44)

I order a restart to Alf and Jake production.  I CANNOT keep enough Emilys and Dinah in the air!

Transports
Tina      8 (0)
Sally     0 (0)
Topsy   28 (3)
Mavis-L 0 (0)
Tabby 0 (46)

Restart Tina and Topsy are expanding.  My Transport Planes are falling rapidly due to heavy use and enemy Fighters.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1106
Life - 10/6/2008 4:54:43 PM   
John 3rd

I've just posted those two updates with the Combat Report and Economy/VP for March 1944.  I am still living away from the hosue but have been getting some stuff done and wanted to get my updates posted for those who have been reading this AAR for so long.

Hope these help to bring you up to date!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1107
March 1-2, 1944 - 10/6/2008 8:50:44 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
March 1-2, 1944

I was able to get two turns done with Dan today so I am doing an immediate update.

Malacca 
Events continue to swirl around this target:

1st---I bombard the base with BB Yamato, 2 CA, 1 CL, and 5 DD.  They do OK with 277 Casualties and 4 Guns destroyed.  I am experiencing a crippling fuel shortage at Singapore and have 4 TK unloading (24,000 Fuel) at Kuching right now.  I send the Yamato TF there to refuel.  Forts rise from 0/10 to 0/23.

2nd--In doing this, Dan brings two convoys over to Malacca from Bankha on the 2nd.   Planes rise from Singapore to attack.  A total of 36 F, 29 LB TB, and 45 DB swoop into the hex where they fight their way through 34 Allied Fighters.  Losses are bad (19 F, 8 LB TB, 14 DB for 6 Allied Fighters) but the majority get through and ATTACK!  Thankfully they attack the STF guarding these ships.  The attack centers its fury on the Battleship Warspite where it is hit by 3 TT and 2 Bombs.  Additionally, CL Danae takes 2 Bombs and is moderately damaged.  We exchange ground bombardments doing 90 Casualties EACH.  Forts rise from 0/23 to 0/46.

I order a two phase attack from my remaining STF at Singapore.
Malacca Strike Force--3 CA, 1 CL, 8 DD to attack there.
Bankha Strike Force--1 CL and 5 DD to try and surprise the Allied shipping there.

My CVs arrive at Soerabaja, disband, and I begin to rebuild my air groups.

The planes at Palembang are authorized to attack.  I have 39 F and 100 Betty/Frances there set to attack at range 7.  This goes up to Malacca and no further.

I fly 75 new Jacks (Experience 48 @ 72/27 @ 68) and 81 Betty 2/Frances into Singapore and set their range for 3.  Malacca and no further.   

The fur SHOULD fly on the 3rd!

Dan's Eastern Fleet woes continue with hitting those two ships.  That STF only has 1 CA and 1 CL left to defend his AK/AP.  He will probably expect Yamato to come up and I hope he pulls his shipping back.  If he doesn't then I should do well...

I expect the Ise/Hyuga TF to arrive at Singapore about March 10th.

Haiphong
Everything goes to Hell in a handbasket here as the Chinese Hordes make a Shock Attack that scores a 10-1 ratio!    I lose the town and 41 Transport planes.  Thank God I pulled elements of all the major units there.  I will pull the 3 Inf Div and TK Reg in the hex to the west of Haiphong back down to Hue.  I cannot stop his assault now...

Rarotonga
I hit this base with 15-20 bombers each day.  The 22nd Inf Div finishes loading at Kwajalein and will head for Suva for their assault.  Figure an April 10th Assault Date barring changes.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1108
RE: March 1-2, 1944 - 10/6/2008 9:29:39 PM   
Q-Ball

Excellent AAR! I am following your game, particularly since I am also playing Big-B's mod, I am Japan, and it's 3/5/44.

I think your strategic move of the Fleet is a good one. I did the exact same thing figuring that I wasn't strong enough to stop the USN, but was strong enough to stop the RN. It worked, as I effectively destroyed the RN CV force (only to get 3 CV's sunk by the USN afterward, but that's another story).

That is a ton of lost DDs. You probably need those Matsus for frontline duty.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1109
RE: March 1-2, 1944 - 10/7/2008 10:14:02 PM   
John 3rd

Q-Ball--thanks for the comments.  I was desparing that noone jumped on after these massive posts.  I am thinking about using my CVs for a massed attack upon the RN CVs but Dan ALWAYS keeps them under LBA.  It drives me to drink and I think it is a GAMEY thing to do.

I know that AFB will totally disagree with that comment so save your breath.

Regardless, I am still sinking Allied shipping at a massive rate and claiming big warships.  Sinking Renown was GREAT!

I can use every darned DD that gets built, repaired, or raised! 

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 1944 Production and VP Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI