Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Geography 101

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Geography 101 Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Geography 101 - 9/28/2008 12:29:52 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

How are you making those cool maps?

Subchaser's map mod (stock map)without hexes blown up about 250% for clarity then "ink sketched" and desaturated. It also looks cool even without magnification. Here is New Guinea run through the same process (nearly). The top 2/3 has a fake paper texture to look like ink and watercolor, but the bottom 1/3 looks good too. I like the "period" look. This image has lost a little with two .jpg filters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 2611
RE: Geography 101 - 9/28/2008 12:32:36 AM   
JeffroK

Looks pretty, but its a pity it keeps the tracks to Milne Bay & Lae

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2612
RE: Geography 101 - 9/28/2008 1:37:01 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Looks pretty, but its a pity it keeps the tracks to Milne Bay & Lae

Well...it is a computer not a magic wand

I suppose one could do something similar with Andrew Brown's map.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 2613
RE: Deep concern..not wholesale panic - 9/28/2008 6:28:07 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
The Jap are a clever foe. I need some advice to defeat a somewhat gamey, but undeniably clever, tactic they are using to stall the advance of 7th Armoured down the rail line toward Mandalay.

I've been mulling this over. Have you considered areal spraying of canola oil to ease the passage?

Post #: 2614
RE: Deep concern..not wholesale panic - 9/28/2008 3:30:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

The Jap are a clever foe. I need some advice to defeat a somewhat gamey, but undeniably clever, tactic they are using to stall the advance of 7th Armoured down the rail line toward Mandalay.

I've been mulling this over. Have you considered areal spraying of canola oil to ease the passage?

Yes, I see your analogy. I keep thrusting but all I encounter is Sun Tzu's the friction of war. Still, I think canola oil would be gamey as I doubt it was even "invented" in 1943. Perhaps some superheated Crisco?

Here is what I think he is doing. There are 4 or 5 low value units left in Mandalay. On day 1, the Pusan Comfort Woman's Bn. is ordered forward. On day 2 the Sasebo 234th Boy Scout Troop is ordered forward. On Day 3, the 4th Emperor's Prison Detachment is ordered forward and so on and so on. The Comfort Woman's Bn. arrives at the target hex and day 3 and the Boy Scouts are half way there. The Comfort Woman's Bn. is sent packing by a 2343:1 shock attack but for some reason 7th Armoured refuses to pursue. I order the whole column forward but the next day the Boy Scouts come charging across the clearing and we are back to hex one.

I think a single company of paratroops could take Mandalay now and they would certainly put an end to this funny business, but, alas, they are being saved for the ETO. I am hitting the Mandalay ground troops by air hoping that one attack will slow one of his units slotted to move that turn. Bloody annoying really.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2615
RE: Deep concern..not wholesale panic - 9/29/2008 12:12:16 PM   
Alfred

Cap Mandrake,

The ETO can wait, you should immediately use those paras on Mandalay.  However, assuming that paperwork will prevent the efficacious use of paras, how about these brain storming ideas (no guarantee or warranty extended as to their usefulness).

1.  Bomb enemy resource centres in Burma back to the stone age.  Without supplies you may slow down the entire Mandalay enemy stack rather than just 1 LCU by ground attack.

2.  Approach Mandalay from the east to outflank and enter the city.  If he has a weak Mandalay garrison, then a even a weak Allied unit approaching along the railway line from the east will suffice.

3.  Pull out of Tavoy et al and redeploy to oppose the Burma Area Army schwerpunckt and stop it cold.  Once the Rangoon front is stabilised you can then redeploy to Rahaeng and move either north to attack Mandalay from another direction or move south on Bangkok.

Alfred

Post #: 2616
RE: Deep concern..not wholesale panic - 9/30/2008 11:38:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Cap Mandrake,

The ETO can wait, you should immediately use those paras on Mandalay.  However, assuming that paperwork will prevent the efficacious use of paras, how about these brain storming ideas (no guarantee or warranty extended as to their usefulness).

I would love to have the Red Devils but annoyingly agreeable Eisenhower chap has them. Do you suppose you coudl have a word with the PM?

quote:

1.  Bomb enemy resource centres in Burma back to the stone age.  Without supplies you may slow down the entire Mandalay enemy stack rather than just 1 LCU by ground attack.

Will try hitting pagan and Taung Gyi (or however you spell that) when the weather clears. Am already hitting Mandalay. Most of the air effort has been directed at the Burma Area Army

quote:

2.  Approach Mandalay from the east to outflank and enter the city.  If he has a weak Mandalay garrison, then a even a weak Allied unit approaching along the railway line from the east will suffice.

Worth a try but I think they will have to cross the jungle. I sent the Caribineers (or however you spell that). I fear they will be reset just like the units trying to move south. This turn no enemy troops moved into the hex North of Mandalay. perhaps he is having trouble finding volunteers.

quote:

3.  Pull out of Tavoy et al and redeploy to oppose the Burma Area Army schwerpunckt and stop it cold.  Once the Rangoon front is stabilised you can then redeploy to Rahaeng and move either north to attack Mandalay from another direction or move south on Bangkok.

Well the 12th Army HEADQUARTERS is in Tavoy...but as for line infantry.....I will see what I can find. The boys on the Kra Peninsula are coming back.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 2617
Why I joined the Army - 10/1/2008 12:15:35 AM   
Cap Mandrake

**********12th Army HQ, Tavoy, March 2, 1943***********

Col. R. McNally, 12th Army Geographic and Cultural Liason Officer: Splendid! I see we have a good turnout today. I'd like to start today with cultural and religious proscritptions against certain foods. We had quite a nasty incident just this week with some really quite tasty tandouri Taj Mahals served by M&M catering at the capture of Bandou celebration. The local Imam was aghast when he learned they were made from pork "shoulder" or some such oddity. This is exactly the kind of error.....<a Captain with a sweat stained tunic enters abruptly>

Diaphoretic Captain: I am sorry sir. we have orders to move out presently for Moulmein. The trucks are outside. <he speaks now to the "crowd"> You can draw your weapons and ammo in the truck.

Col. R. McNally, 12th Army Geographic and Cultural Liason Officer: Captain are you sure? What about the cultural lesson.

Diaphoretic Captain: Sir, from what I know if we don't stop the Jap at Moulmein you will be giving lessons in a POW camp.

Col. R. McNally, 12th Army Geographic and Cultural Liason Officer: Oh dear. On whose authority are we to move?

Diaphoretic Captain: This comes right from the top, sir.

Col. R. McNally, 12th Army Geographic and Cultural Liason Officer: Do you mean God, Captain.

Diaphoretic Captain: Nearly sir, it from SEAC, Admiral Sir Lord Louis Mounbot...err..I mean Mountbatten <a sargeant enters the room and calls to the Captain>

Sargeant: Sir, it's the band. The insist on bringing their instruments.......

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2618
XXXX plus XXXX makes XXXX - 10/1/2008 5:40:42 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2619
Garlic - 10/3/2008 8:24:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2620
Hymns of the Rig Veda - 10/4/2008 9:59:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2621
RE: Hymns of the Rig Veda - 10/5/2008 12:08:35 AM   
BrucePowers

A health class

Post #: 2622
RE: Hymns of the Rig Veda - 10/5/2008 12:09:27 AM   
BrucePowers

Of course, you as an MD type person, should be all for this......

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2623
a Tartar tale - 10/5/2008 12:10:43 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2624
RE: a Tartar tale - 10/5/2008 12:15:21 AM   
BrucePowers

It seems like this new leadership on the other side is putting up quite a fight.......

Post #: 2625
RE: a Tartar tale - 10/5/2008 1:34:32 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

It seems like this new leadership on the other side is putting up quite a fight.......

Indeed. Fortunately, having heard from half a world away of the Mexican fire drill on the Mandalay/Myitkyina railway, Admiral Chet Tabpub sent an amor hotshot on loan to the PTO.

************Burma Corps HQ, Myitkyina, March 4, 1943***********

Col. Abrams, US Army: I understand your boys are having trouble getting through to Mandalay. That seems odd, the Grants really ought to be tearing up the opposition.

Lt. Gen, Alexander: Oh, indeed they do, but we never seem to be able to exploit our superiority. I half think it is the new American communication equipment. Very high qualtiy, you understand but the instructions seem written by a Neanderthal.

Col. Abrams, US Army: May I see the set?

Lt. Gen, Alexander: Indeed. <they walk to the com tent and the Col. walks promptly to the set>

Col. Abrams, US Army: Ah, here is your problem. You need to set the "pursue" code to FGD 135 <makes the adjustment> A grain of wheat bulb suddenly glows behind a green filter next to a stencil that reads "PURSUE".

Lt. Gen, Alexander: Bloody Hell!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/5/2008 8:12:36 AM >

Post #: 2626
RE: a Tartar tale - 10/5/2008 2:20:48 AM   
BrucePowers

Post #: 2627
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/7/2008 6:35:37 AM   
Moondawggie

Now that is one useful code!

I gotta try that out!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 2628
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/7/2008 8:59:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note (wearing paper sack with eye holes cut out..and mouth hole too..and I don't mind telling you it is hard to type with this thing on):

In a shameless effort to boost readership, the Board has elected to offer a prize of a 1 for 2 coupon to Yossarian's Home (original or West) to the reader who correctly identifies the origin of the code "FGD 135". Entries may be submitted on-line (please no self-aggrandizing posts or attachments) or by mail if you already know our address. As a security measure we will no longer release our address due to several unfortunate incidents. The contest closes in 3 days or when the first correct answer is posted. Teams may enter but they will only get one coupon so they will have to split the drink among the team members.*

* If you enter as a team, please make sure none of your team members backwash when they drink. Also, don't ask for extra olives. Also, the offer is invalid during happy hour or after major Allied victories because the bar is always full then and we don't want a bunch of freeloaders clogging the place up. The Board expressly limits any liabilities associated with "brain freeze" injuries, whether real or fraudulent. Also, the winner must be in the "b" time continuum because we can't remember if the bar even existed in the "a" continuum. Also, absolutely no multi-level marketing will be permitted on the premises..none!

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2629
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/7/2008 9:02:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Also...I cant post any damn picture attachments with either Firefox or IE after I installed some work software I think it is some kind of security issue. Naturally, I did not set a "System Restore" point before the installation. Any ideas?

Post #: 2630
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 2:56:29 AM   
Moondawggie

I've always thought that beating on Bill Gates with a rubber hose could have eliminated many (if not all) of these "software incompatibility upgrade" issues caused by the WINtel demons.

Try it out, and let me know if it works...

I'll have to think deeper on the "FGD 135 pursue" code source.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 2631
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 3:07:21 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Editor's Note (wearing paper sack with eye holes cut out..and mouth hole too..and I don't mind telling you it is hard to type with this thing on):

In a shameless effort to boost readership, the Board has elected to offer a prize of a 1 for 2 coupon to Yossarian's Home (original or West) to the reader who correctly identifies the origin of the code "FGD 135". Entries may be submitted on-line (please no self-aggrandizing posts or attachments) or by mail if you already know our address. As a security measure we will no longer release our address due to several unfortunate incidents. The contest closes in 3 days or when the first correct answer is posted. Teams may enter but they will only get one coupon so they will have to split the drink among the team members.*

* If you enter as a team, please make sure none of your team members backwash when they drink. Also, don't ask for extra olives. Also, the offer is invalid during happy hour or after major Allied victories because the bar is always full then and we don't want a bunch of freeloaders clogging the place up. The Board expressly limits any liabilities associated with "brain freeze" injuries, whether real or fraudulent. Also, the winner must be in the "b" time continuum because we can't remember if the bar even existed in the "a" continuum. Also, absolutely no multi-level marketing will be permitted on the premises..none!

How about: Dr. Strangelove - a radio transmission received by the B-52 "Leper Colony" as FGD135 - decoded into "Wing Attack Plan R"!

Post #: 2632
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 1:37:17 PM   
saj42

I'll go with RT on this one.

You are famous Cap - when i googled "fgd 135" your post was top of the search results

Post #: 2633
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 3:47:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note (wearing a paper sack with eye holes and a mouth hole cut but the mouth hole is kind of soggy because I tried to drink a G & T through it): The Board wishes to recognize a winner of the recent mystery code contest, a Mr. or Ms. rtrapasso (address unknown). As we had not really expected anyone to win, we had not really thought out the mechanics of awarding the prize. Consequently, we ask that Mr. or Ms rtrapasso, if he or she is in the "b" time continuum, present his or herself at either Yossarian's Home or Yossarian's Home West prior to April, 1945(b) and simply announce, "I am here for my 1 for 2 coupon". That should work. Again, splendid work by Mr. or Ms. rtrapasso.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 2634
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 3:49:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

I'll go with RT on this one.

You are famous Cap - when i googled "fgd 135" your post was top of the search results

Wow..you are right. That is very interesting in a slightly creepy, recursive sort of way <looks outside at movement in bushes>.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 2635
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 5:19:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

As a security measure we will no longer release our address due to several unfortunate incidents.

Please, Mandrake, do tell. Was it the Mayan CCTV camera crew?

Post #: 2636
Fire Sale at Rangoon - 10/8/2008 7:45:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Rangoon Harbour, 10:20, March 6, 1943*******

Amid damaged docks and the odd half-sunken Japanese transport, HMS Empire Bombay and a number of other smaller freighters are loading all manner of products from the disorderly mess. Crates of mangoes, sacks of rice and coffee beans, bales of fiber rope..almost everything produced in excess during the Japanese occupation. Adding to the confusion, are hundreds of Chinese soldiers being landed by US Navy LCT's and LCI's. As the main Jap force has changed direction and appears headed by secondary road to Rahaeng, 12th Army HQ has changed the plan. The Chinese are ordered into Rangoon to prevent an easy capture by a small Jap force some 90 miles away. Meanwhile, everything of value is to be got out.

Admiral Draemel: <calls up to crane operator> YOU THERE! TAKE THESE WICKER LOVE SEATS...THESE ARE QUITE NICE! <over his head, in a cargo net, a 60 gallon drum of pomegranate juice shifts abruptly, straining the cork and wax seal.....>

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2637
RE: a Tartar tale: FGD 135 "Pursue" - 10/8/2008 7:58:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

As a security measure we will no longer release our address due to several unfortunate incidents.

Please, Mandrake, do tell. Was it the Mayan CCTV camera crew?

The SOB's trampled two azalea bushes and left Pollo Loco wrappers all over the side yard. Even worse, they were using my power outlets to recharge their batteries and I am pretty sure somebody got into my brandy. I showed them. Stalker Girl was out of town for few days so I was sanding and scraping some wood windows prior to repainting. I don't think they bargained on a home improvement show. I am pretty sure their ratings are in the cenote.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2638
E. E. Cummings - 10/14/2008 7:24:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The lab supervisor (English, female ) is sending me E. E. Cummings poetry on office email. Oh dear.

Meanwhile the Mandalay Mauler is trying to break out his Burma Area Army from the trap. I still can't post attachments on my new comp. I had to pass it with a thumb drive to the old gal.

Situation, March 5.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/14/2008 7:32:00 PM >

Post #: 2639
RE: E. E. Cummings - 10/14/2008 7:41:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Jap armor has cut across country to the SE to close on Rahaeng and the remainder of Burma Area Army seems to be either following suit or resting 120 ENE of Rangoon. I have evacuated Bandou and the Japs are preparign to retake it. More Japs are moving into Bangkok and soem Jap armor infiltrated West of Bangkok. 23rd Indian Div and 254th Armoured are ordered to Rahaeng where 17th Indian and oen brigade of 20th are fortifying. 23rd Chindit brigade is to be airlifted from Moulmein to Krung Thep as a rear guard. 255th Armoured will try to clear toward Bangkok and a division of Chinese infantry is to be brought into Rangoon to provide some security there or at least require a fuslome force to take it. Meanwhile Adm Draemel, heavily saturated with pomegranate juice, is trying to get out the rattan furniture and Pier 1 knick knacks.

Mandalay should finally fall to 7th Armoured.

Post #: 2640
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Geography 101 Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI