Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery in the line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Artillery in the line Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery in the line - 10/10/2008 2:00:59 AM   
jbeigie

I was playing a game against the computer TE. During one of my offensives I experienced a situation where the allies had only artillery in the line. I would attack, the computer would bombard my units, and then get pushed out of the hex. I would have thought I should be able to hurt his artillery units but the sequence just kept repeating. If you have the ground to spare this seems the ideal way to weaken an attacker at just the cost of a bombardment each turn.

Is this the way its supposed to work? I would think they should either be able to retreat, or take a hit from my attackers if they stay to bombard my forces.
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery in the line - 10/10/2008 3:57:43 AM   
lordhoff

Yeah; noticed that too. One would think that in the days of horse-pulled artillery trains that an attack by a corps would mean capturing the entire train. I doubt it was meant to be that way.

Now, if I really wanted to be gamey, I'd just forget infantry and build as much artillery as I could with as much barrage points as I could and string them across a front and watch the fun.

< Message edited by lordhoff -- 10/10/2008 4:01:57 AM >

(in reply to jbeigie)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery in the line - 10/10/2008 11:52:42 AM   
BK6583

The patches to date were supposed to prevent that by allowing overruns of arty and HQ stacked alone. But I've also seen the same thing repeatedly where the arty or HQ are merely 'pushed' out of the hex by my attacking infantry into an adjacent hex to live and go on. Frank, are we the only ones noticing this?

(in reply to jbeigie)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery in the line - 10/10/2008 7:03:15 PM   
EdinHouston

I agree that it should be easier to damage artillery that is stacked without infantry units and forced to retreat. By easier, I mean possible, because now they seem pretty much invulnerable. I *have* seen artillery units be damaged by other artillery units, but even that seems very rare.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery in the line - 10/11/2008 10:49:51 PM   
ILCK

Seen it as well. 

The issue is so obvious since the CPU pretty much builds a ton of artillery at the expense of rebuilding their corps.

(in reply to EdinHouston)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Artillery in the line Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI