Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: English is Easy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English is Easy? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:07:54 AM   
Toby42

Does anyone have any idea where this Ike99 "person" is located?

Tony

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 91
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:18:29 AM   
Ike99

Argentina.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 92
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:20:21 AM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

Argentina.

I didn't realize that the Argentines hated us so much!!!

Tony

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 93
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:27:52 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Watching the Presidential debate today I was struck by something. I'd like to ask the Americans here whether they think it's actually healthy to be constantly told "America is the greatest country in the world" by your politicians and business leaders?

Cheers, Neilster

One could probably successfully argue the case that it is a necessary counterbalance to constanty being put down by everyone else and denounced as the Great Satans of the universe.

I think we need to be a bit careful in this discussion, so as to avoid it degenerating into politics or a personal flamewar, but let's see if we can stay civil.

The idea of the US as the greatest country in the world is nothing new. I remember some years ago, American Heritage magazine had a 19th Century cartoon of political cliches, which included "spread eagle" as one of them. The term derived from the idea of spreading the US out to include other parts of North America (since the eagle is the national symbol). For further evidence, I cite Abraham Lincoln "We shall nobly save or meanly lose the last, best hope of Mankind". It appears to be a long-standing part or the US self-image, for better or worse.

As to wether it is healthy; I don't know for sure, but I think it is OK as long as we don't suffer from the delusion that we are perfect. I happen to believe that we are the best, but as humans, even our best is imperfect. What I don't want to see is a desire to become more perfect become a desire to copy others blindly. Let us examine ideas from elsewhere, by all means, but let us test them against our current ideas.

I feel that being told we are the greatest is better than being told we are the worst (which I heard from some residents of Berkeley). According to them, the US was never good enough no matter what. If I felt that way, I would not be interested in trying to make the US better. Since I believe that it is the best, and that others look up to us, I am inspired to try to make us worthy of that high regard.

Starting about 100-odd years ago, the "patriots" of my country began to grow the idea that their country was the best there ever could be, and that they needed to export this goodness. In their words, "Am Deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen", i.e. roughly, the world shall be cured by the (wholesome) German example. We all know what consequences that had - two world wars and a holocaust, for example.

Now, whenever I hear the tireless repetition (impervious to criticism or inconvenient fact, of course) that America is good, America is great, and America must remake the world in its image, I remember my history lessons.

Well, as I feared, this thread is vering toward politics and polemics. I will make an attempt to remain civil, but I may allow my anger to show through.

Essentially the same as me, then? Fine, that´s something I can work with.

quote:

If you intend to refer to recent events by "remake the world in its image", then my interpretation of the no politics rule prevents me from arguing the pros and cons of Iraq, etc.

Including, but not limited to recent events. I guess everyone who has a high opinion of their own opinion tends to grow a missionary complex, but the US is in the unique position to be able to act on it on a global scale.

quote:

However, I would like to point out that you are the one who brought up forcibly remaking the world in our image. As you can see from my post, I merely advocated reducing the flaws of the US in order to make us a nation that can provide an example that others will desire to voluntarily emulate.

Well, yes, you advocate this. And, assuming you are serious, (and I have no reason to assume otherwise) it is a rather noble goal.
Yet at the same time, I see in many American self-proclaimed patriots a profound unwillingness to take a critical look at themselves and their country, and work at its actual flaws - instead they see such flaws like "too many unpatriotic people badmouthing our great country", or "those despicable *insert rival party here* traitors scheming to destroy what makes America great".
Mind you, I see such tendencies elsewhere, too, including my own country - but for one thing, these tendencies are a lot more pronounced in the US than elsewhere in the West, and for another, by virtue of its sheer massive weight it can throw around, any wrong actions the US takes are pretty much by definition going to have much more of an impact than what smaller countries can do.

quote:

At the risk of venturing into "tu quoque" territory, I will also point out that in the recent past, other nations tried to remake portions of the world into their own image (with varrying degrees of success from total failure in Uganda or Algeria, through limited success in Ireland, general success in India, and near total success in New York and Quebec).

I´ll concede that this is not automatically bad, given a number of conditions. To avoid drifting too far into politics, I´ll be circumspect and say that the people doing such thing need to have (or have access to) and be willing to make use of, a number of skills and fields of knowledge that current world leaders, including those of the US, don´t have or refuse to use, and personality traits I don´t necessarily see them as having, and a lack of other traits that I do see some of them as having, and basing their decisions on.

(I guess if this was too confusing, you can always ask for clarification - by PM, I guess?)

To make it shorter - FDR and Truman and Churchill (or Lincoln or Washington, for that matter) were one calibre of statesmen; other people I could name who hold office these days are a different calibre

quote:

Do you regard it as always a bad thing to try to change the world? If you examine the history of Germany, I think you would agree that the conscious effort to remake Germany in the mid-1940s was not a bad thing for the German people. We niether destroyed German culture nor made you a carbon copy of us.

German culture post-45 was not the same as pre-33, and not just limited to the elements of it that, by necessity, had to be excised to make it safe for the rest of the world to have Germany be part of it again. Though I do not necessarily see this as a bad thing.

quote:

Indeed, the major difference between the US and Prussia/Nazi Germany is that we still seek to make the US more closely match our view of perfection. Your view of perfection is not the same as ours, and that is posssibly the source of some of the heat in this debate. But how can anyone look at US history (recent or older) or the current presidential / vice presidential candidates and still think the US is static and unchanging?

I think if you look closely you will see that Prussia and Nazi Germany were also trying to make themselves match their own views of perfection more closely. Of course, the Nazi view of perfection is too different from yours for any but a complete madman to not notice the total incompatibility. Prussia, on the other hand... I won´t say the US is like Prussia, but I can see parallels, and these parallels worry me.

I guess that I would have to say about the current president/VP candidates would go too far into politics. But... well, not so much static and unchanging, but more "what´s the real difference?" If you subtract all the posturing and the mutual character assassination, how different are these people from each other?

quote:

As far as "impervious to criticism" much of what I see on this thread reads as insult, not constructive criticism (e.g., the cartoon implying US troops are viscious murderers when the cameras are off, or the statement that only fear of the USSR caused us to rebuild Europe). As such, it tends to make patriotic Americans angry and makes us unwilling to listen to what you have to say (as my countrymen sometimes regrettably demostrate).

In my experience, the unwillingness to listen exists right from the start in too many cases, although of course any excuse for them is welcome. Those who are willing to discuss things at all do not tend to take criticism as an insult to begin with.
I would like to point out that I neither posted said cartoon nor agreed with it. And as for the reason the US rebuilt Germany - do you not think that the primary motive for this was enlightened self-interest, rather than the sudden and inexplicable desire to pour massive amounts of resources into a country that, shortly before had been considered the incarnation of evil?

I reacted to your remark about "remaking the world" under the impression that you were putting words into my mouth, and then I wrote something that looks like I was putting words in your mouth. I wish to apologize unreservedly. I did not intend to state or imply that you stated or endorsed the opinion of the cartoon. I had intended to use it as a readily available example of unconstructive criticism, not of your opinions.

I do admit that it is possible to be closed-minded and use excuses for the rejection of opinions, but I would like to think the majority of us are capable of avoiding that trap. Maybe I am a bit naive about human nature, but I do try to be charitable about other's faults, knowing I have a fair number of my own.

Unfortunately, the no politics rule does mean we need to be careful about how we discuss our views on when nation-building is or is not acceptable. Tell you what, let's table that issue for now. If we decide to continue the debate in that direction, maybe we can go over to the Steakhouse (note to self, check out the Steakhouse and see what the "temperature" of debate is like), and have our debate a bit more free to range.

Yeah, German culture did change somewhat, but so did the culture of all countries involved WWII. Therefore, I was mentally writting much of the change off as an inevitable result of total war combined with close contact with other cultures in the form of the Occupation. That may have been an error.

As far as Prussia attempting to remake itself closer to its ideal, the drive seems to have been more directed outward to remake that part of Europe, at least to me. There was limited and muted dissent in the Kaiser's Germany, compared to then-contemporary US and UK politics, or at least that is the way history reads to me. I admit there was some, and there was no repression, it was mostly social conformity that enforced it, but still...

My intent on bringing up the pres/VP tickets was not so much to point out individual pluses and minuses of them. As you say, that gets into politics. I had intended to use them as a convienient and immediately visible symbol of the fact that the US is changing itself. A nation completely convinced of its own perfection does not change.

I would also like to point out the fact that the US (at least to my eyes) has a vigorous and sometimes racuous debate ongoing about issues ranging from purely domestic (such as abortion) to such foreign policy issues as what (if anything) to do about Iran. I will avoid specifics, but I do wonder if that debate is muted to outsiders? The US still has a tradition (weakening but not dead) that "politics stops at the water's edge", and our mainstream media is monolithic and monotone in comparison to the UK for example. How much of the debate gets through to the outside world? Even in the US, you almost have to read the blogs to get a real sense of the extent and fervor of the debate.

In one of my posts above in response to Nielster, I stated my belief that the reconstruction of Europe was carried out for a mixture of motives. If you wish to have a single phrase to describe all of them, then "enlightened self-interest" will do nicely. I do sometimes get a bit sensitive about this point as I have seen several people (including one of the other posters on this very thread) take the least creditable motive of the mixture and assert that it is the only one. I guess this leads back to my point about constructive versus non-constructive criticism, which is where I began this post.

Thank you very much for a rational and civil post to provide food for thought. I would like to know more about the specific similarities you see between Prussia and the modern US, but that might start getting too much into politics. If so, let's think about a visit to the Steakhouse.

Note: I will be offline for a day or so. I may not be able to give you a rapid response to further posts, but don't worry, like McArthur, I shall return.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 94
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:33:01 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

Argentina.

Ah, well that may explain a fair bit. If we are being honest, our track record in Latin America is not one to inspire pride. By and large during the Cold War, we would go in and set up "our son-of-a-bitch" as the guy in charge when we did not like what the Latin Americans were doing. I think that further dicussion of the subject will do major violence to the no-politics rule, so let's leave it at this.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 95
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:37:32 AM   
E

< Message edited by E -- 10/11/2008 2:41:50 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 96
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 2:51:06 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Have you ever considered this?

If you invade a country under the guise of freeing and liberating a group of people and then later these same people are sniping at you maybe you shouldn´t have invaded in the first place and maybe you shouldn´t be there?

Just a thought. Seems logical though.

At least Argentina didn't invade a country under false pretenses. The Falklands was all about conquest, land grabs, and maybe a little raping, looting and pillaging. You got to give them credit for not pretending it was about anything else, like liberating people who wanted no part of the most fascist regime in the Southern hemisphere.

Maybe you should consider the fact that a member of a dictatorial banana republic which threw thousands of it's own citizens out of aircraft into the South Atlantic and turns soccor stadiums into torture chambers should think twice about criticizing the actions of people from civilized countries.

I aint got much patience with some Europeans, but at least you can visit Europe without much fear of being grabbed up by the secret police and tortured to death. That's not something you can say about Argentina.

Fortunately, the Argentine military is world renowned for it's cowardice and incompetence, so it doesn't present much of a threat to anyone else. I suppose this would be an argument in the plus column if you consider impotence and corruption as a positive national attribute.

So we understand about you being bitter about your entire nation being humiliated by a single under equipped naval task force. Get over it. Some day, fascists like you will die out and the few decent people in your country who haven't been murdered might have a chance to turn Argentina into a respectable first world democracy. Until then, you should maybe try telling people you're from Brazil.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 97
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 3:05:58 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

quote:

As far as "impervious to criticism" much of what I see on this thread reads as insult, not constructive criticism (e.g., the cartoon implying US troops are viscious murderers when the cameras are off, or the statement that only fear of the USSR caused us to rebuild Europe). As such, it tends to make patriotic Americans angry and makes us unwilling to listen to what you have to say (as my countrymen sometimes regrettably demostrate).

As if ¨Patriotic Americans¨ care what the rest of the world says, thinks or feels anyways? I don´t think so.

quote:

However, I would like to point out that you are the one who brought up forcibly remaking the world in our image. As you can see from my post, I merely advocated reducing the flaws of the US in order to make us a nation that can provide an example that others will desire to voluntarily emulate.

I have to echo SireChaos.

This is what you say at a personal level. But with 702 overseas military bases in 130 countries as of 2003, more now, a defense budget larger than the rest of the world combined, obviously some other people don´t. Not to mention the fleets.

Don´t be so naive. The cold war ended a long time ago. All this has very little to do with defending USA and a lot to do with expanding USA global dominance at every level with the ¨voluntarily¨ part being optional.

On an indvidual level, if I did not care what the rest of the world thought, I would not bother responding to your posts. This also begs the question of why you bother to respond since you think I don't care.

On a national level, we do know what others think of us, and we care somewhat, but we did not give any other nation a veto on our policy. If we truely did not care, we could save enormous sums of money by bringing home the troops and conducting diplomacy via ICBM. Yeah, the rest of the world would hate us, but a country that didn't care about world opinion would hardly lose any sleep over it.

As far as the US bases, the end of the Cold War is actually of limited relevance. Let me explain why I say that. After WWII, the US political leadership examined recent history with the intention of avoiding future world wars and (espcially) future Pearl Harbors. The majority of them (Senator Robert Taft is the main dissenter I can think of off the top of my head) concluded that if US national security had ever stopped at the North American coastline, it no longer did so. This conclusion drove both the start of the Cold War, and the establishment of permanent bases outside US teritory for the first time. Since the conclusion was based on events outside the Cold War, the end of the Cold War did not obviate the need for the bases, in the opinion of the majority of the US voting public (including me).

If this make me naive, then there are worse things to be than naive.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 98
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 3:27:25 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
I aint got much patience with some Europeans, but at least you can visit Europe without much fear of being grabbed up by the secret police and tortured to death....

In an attempt at some light heartedness, Doggie...I couldn't imagine ANY country in Europe where the police wouldn't pick you up!

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 99
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 3:32:40 AM   
Neilster

quote:

As I say, Nielster, you are correct and I was wrong.

Don't worry about it. It happens all the time

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 100
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:14:52 AM   
Lützow

quote:

So we come full circle back to the root of your envy of, and despise for, us........the simple fact that the rest of the world desperately needs us to be it's police force while it envies and despises us because we CAN be.

I don't want to interfere with your little argument but here I have to disagree.

The solely reason we depended on you was due to the outcome of WW2 and the fact that Germany didn't get allowed to rebuild her military forces. Without these restriction we wouldn't need someone to guarantee our safety, neither did Germany - or Prussia before - for the past 200 years.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 101
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 11:36:17 AM   
Splinterhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

So we come full circle back to the root of your envy of, and despise for, us........the simple fact that the rest of the world desperately needs us to be it's police force while it envies and despises us because we CAN be.

I don't want to interfere with your little argument but here I have to disagree.

The solely reason we depended on you was due to the outcome of WW2 and the fact that Germany didn't get allowed to rebuild her military forces. Without these restriction we wouldn't need someone to guarantee our safety, neither did Germany - or Prussia before - for the past 200 years.

Well, you lost two of the last 3 wars you fought and, well... aren't the folks in Prussia speaking Polish these days? No offense, of course.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 102
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 11:46:02 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

quote:

quote:

Well, you lost two of the last 3 wars you fought and, well... aren't the folks in Prussia speaking Polish these days? No offense, of course.

The Germans are excellent at war, they just usually assume it's over before it actually is.

I have German friends and when they found out how much I enjoy military history, they wondered what I thought of Germans. I told them, "Well...if you're going to have a massive, industrialised, mechanised, mid 20th Century global war, you need some bad guys. And you were the best bad guys ever! Brilliant early but with a fatal flaw that let us back in to it. Great stuff. Much the same goes for the Japanese and the Italians provided light relief and plenty of exotic, sun drenched, Mediterranean battlefields. You almost couldn't have scripted it better"

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 103
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 11:52:07 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

True, but I wonder how other countries had performed by fighting all major powers.

btw. Brandenburg is considered as part of Prussia also.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 10/11/2008 11:55:46 AM >

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 104
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 3:16:59 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

As if ¨Patriotic Americans¨ care what the rest of the world says, thinks or feels anyways? I don´t think so.

quote:

I have to echo SireChaos.

This is what you say at a personal level. But with 702 overseas military bases in 130 countries as of 2003, more now, a defense budget larger than the rest of the world combined, obviously some other people don´t. Not to mention the fleets.

Don´t be so naive. The cold war ended a long time ago. All this has very little to do with defending USA and a lot to do with expanding USA global dominance at every level with the ¨voluntarily¨ part being optional.

Granted its Wiki, but they only list about 30 bases in 16 countries. Can you give me any ideas where the other 670 bases are located?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases#Overseas

Hello...? Reading comprehension, anyone? Those are the USAF bases. What about the other branches?

Granted, that list doesn´t add up to 700+, but 30 is a serious misrepresentation as well.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 105
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 3:38:28 PM   
SireChaos

@Terminus:
Fair enough. Not particularly flattering, but probably an accurate characterization.

I realize my early posts in this thread were overly... provocative - or at least could be read as such without a large dose of benefit of doubt. I hope, though, that I have made it clear what I actually think.

@Mike Dubost:
What the HELL are you saying there? Don´t you know that you have a stereotype of an insular, ignorant, arrogant American to be true to?
Seriously, though... thanks for that reply. I am well aware that most Americans are not at all like the [expletive deleted]s that steal so much screen time - though it would help if you guys spoke up a little more often.

@Lützow:
I don´t think we could have done it alone. How much of an army would we have needed to beat off the entire Warsaw Pact on our own? The Bundeswehr at the end of the Cold War was about 320,000 men or so - against how many million Pact troops? I mean, even the Bundeswehr itself considered its own forces badly inadequate for the task - the joke I´ve heard from soldiers was that the Bundeswehr´s task was to slow down the enemy until the real soldiers arrived.

@Splinterhead:
Actually, the folks in Prussia still speak German - they are just not doing it in (East) Prussia any more.

@Neilster:
So, "Made in Germany" is still a sign of first-rate quality, eh?

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 106
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 4:03:32 PM   
Lützow

quote:

@Lützow:
I don´t think we could have done it alone. How much of an army would we have needed to beat off the entire Warsaw Pact on our own? The Bundeswehr at the end of the Cold War was about 320,000 men or so - against how many million Pact troops? I mean, even the Bundeswehr itself considered its own forces badly inadequate for the task - the joke I´ve heard from soldiers was that the Bundeswehr´s task was to slow down the enemy until the real soldiers arrived.

If I recall right, manpower of the Bundeswehr was around 500k soldiers prior to reunification. However, we didn't need to beat the Sovjets, which were predominant in conventional forces anyway, but rather stop them from further advance toward the West and this again could have been achieved through nuclear armament. To paraphrase it: with German missiles targeting Moscow the presence of american forces would have been obsolete.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 107
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 5:28:48 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Not agreeing with USA foreign policy means you hate USA?

That´s interesting.

Your concerns are well founded SireChaos.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 10/11/2008 5:29:49 PM >

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 108
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 7:16:54 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

@Lützow:

If I recall right, manpower of the Bundeswehr was around 500k soldiers prior to reunification. However, we didn't need to beat the Sovjets, which were predominant in conventional forces anyway, but rather stop them from further advance toward the West and this again could have been achieved through nuclear armament. To paraphrase it: with German missiles targeting Moscow the presence of american forces would have been obsolete.

Nuclear weapons for Germany? No thanks! Not to mention, after the Nazi regime, which person within yelling distance of sanity would have trusted the Germans to have nuclear weapons?

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 109
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 8:25:13 PM   
Lützow

quote:

Nuclear weapons for Germany? No thanks! Not to mention, after the Nazi regime, which person within yelling distance of sanity would have trusted the Germans to have nuclear weapons?

Care to elaborate why it was better to have nuclear missiles based under control of foreign powers and no possibility to interfere if they had decide to wage another war ? The main battlefield for WW3 would have been Germany.

Mistrust of themselves is, as part of the outcome of WW2, a German disease I fortunately was never affected by.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 110
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 8:40:30 PM   
Ike99

quote:

At least Argentina didn't invade a country under false pretenses. The Falklands was all about conquest, land grabs, and maybe a little raping, looting and pillaging. You got to give them credit for not pretending it was about anything else, like liberating people who wanted no part of the most fascist regime in the Southern hemisphere.

I think JD can support me on this Doggie.

I have heard of no Argentine prisoner soldiers who were abused or mistreated by British soldiers and this comes from talking to and knowing many veterans personal, not from media.

I´ve never heard and know of no stories of British soldier prisoners abused or mistreated by Argentine soldiers from either a British or Argentine source.

No Kelpers were abused or mistreated by Argentine or British soldiers and a single one was killed accidentaly by a British shell.

Now, tell us about your recent war prisoner record. Embarresing pictures are optional.

quote:

Maybe you should consider the fact that a member of a dictatorial banana republic which threw thousands of it's own citizens out of aircraft into the South Atlantic and turns soccor stadiums into torture chambers should think twice about criticizing the actions of people from civilized countries.

Maybe you should go discover who supported those dictators (USA) who were throwing people out of airplanes and torture, where most of them were trained, (School of the Americas, Georgia, USA) why, (Fight against communism) and who opposed them.(The vast majority of Argentine people)

quote:

I aint got much patience with some Europeans, but at least you can visit Europe without much fear of being grabbed up by the secret police and tortured to death. That's not something you can say about Argentina.

You´re misinformed. Maybe you should visit sometime and see for yourself. I think with your extreme right opinions and arrogance it would be best to avoid political discussion though.

Maybe not. Perhaps what you need to do is go out of the USA and see what effect your far right rhetoric has in the rest of the world in person.

No comment on the rest of what you said for reasons of ¨civility¨

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 10/11/2008 8:41:58 PM >

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 111
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 9:16:03 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

Care to elaborate why it was better to have nuclear missiles based under control of foreign powers and no possibility to interfere if they had decide to wage another war ? The main battlefield for WW3 would have been Germany.

Nuclear weapons are (or were, during the Cold War) the weapons of great powers. Every time Germany becomes a great power, a disaster Made in Germany happens. ´nuff said.

Besides, US missiles defended us, too, so what did we need our own missiles? There was plenty of potential for doomsday anyway, without adding another set of buttons waiting for a madman to press them.

quote:

Mistrust of themselves is, as part of the outcome of WW2, a German disease I fortunately was never affected by.

Not mistrust of myself. Mistrust of such august figures as we care to elect into offices. Survival in the age of Mutually Assured Destruction depends on whoever is the least stable of those leaders possessing nuclear weapons. I would not have wanted Franz Josef "We have a right to no longer hear about Auschwitz" Strauss within arm´s length of The Button, nor any number of other glorious authority figures we have been afflicted with.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 112
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 9:52:31 PM   
andym

Just thought i would say that the Russians fired an ICBM from a Nuclear Sub in the Barents Sea this week.Scary or what?

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 113
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:10:07 PM   
cdbeck

1. The Argentinian president is hot for a lady her age.

2. A train leaves Hartford going toward New York at 12:00 going 45 mph. It is 45 miles to New York City. On the same track, going 45 mph, a train leaves New York City, going to Hartford. What happens at 12:30? In what way does this answer describe this thread?

3. I apologize for the above... all of it... also the parts that are mine.

4. According to recent research, Argentina has some of the highest per capita carbon emissions in the developing world, higher per capita than larger and more populated Brazil and China and one of the largest in South America. My point being is that one could say something bad about the actions of every nation in the world. Not everyone in the United States agreed (or still agrees) with entering Iraq. Many oppose Gitmo. To label the actions of a government as being representative of the people within the nation is spurious, illogical, worthless, shallow, and short sighted. Frankly, I'm surprised the type of talk above hasn't gotten this thread locked down as being political in nature. This is what the Steakhouse and the R&P Section of Wargamer.net is for. I'm certainly not saying we don't want to see Steakhouse people over here in general chat (howdy Doggie), I'm just saying that the threads are typically different there than here.

5. I love Macaron's in Marseille. They are not like Macaroons everywhere else. They are like hamburgers with sweet candy buns and flavored cream "burger." They should be illegal.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 114
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:11:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

Personally, I don't think there's much chance for a WWIII...no one could afford the fuel to launch all those missiles!

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 115
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:14:11 PM   
Lützow

quote:

Nuclear weapons are (or were, during the Cold War) the weapons of great powers. Every time Germany becomes a great power, a disaster Made in Germany happens. ´nuff said.

Guess I have a different view on history then. The european tragedy started at Sarajevo in 1914 and everything worse happened during 20th century can be traced back to this incident - till Kosovo war in late 90'ish. Other major powers were involved as well and pursued their own policies. I could quote Churchill here, but elaborating this would derail this thread.

So let's rather go back and bash somebody else.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 116
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:16:10 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Personally, I don't think there's much chance for a WWIII...no one could afford the fuel to launch all those missiles!

Well, I assume Iran could.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 117
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:17:17 PM   
andym

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,macaroons!

While were onabout english stuff and now food,what about a nice Full English?

3 rashers of Bacon(proper bacon,not that US stuff)
2 Sausages,preferrably Cumberland or Lincolnshire.
slice of fried bread(one side fried after spreading with Tomato Sauce)
big dollop of Baked Beanz(Heinz or better still MOD issue Beans)
BIG slice of Black Pudding
2 Fried Eggs
BIG spoon of Devilled Kidneys

All wasjed down with a mug of "builders" tea!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 118
RE: English is Easy? - 10/11/2008 10:32:26 PM   
Ike99

quote:

I'm surprised the type of talk above hasn't gotten this thread locked down as being political in nature. This is what the Steakhouse and the R&P Section of Wargamer.net is for. I'm certainly not saying we don't want to see Steakhouse people over here in general chat (howdy Doggie), I'm just saying that the threads are typically different there than here.

I agree with you 100%. I don´t even like politics. Unfortunately certain zeolots feel it necessary to throw in ¨fertilizing fields¨ and ¨rebuilding nations¨ at

every,

possible,

opportunity.

I learn not to respond. Peace...man.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 119
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 1:48:00 AM   
Doggie

quote:

I agree with you 100%. I don´t even like politics. Unfortunately certain zeolots feel it necessary to throw in ¨fertilizing fields¨ and ¨rebuilding nations¨ at

every,

possible,

opportunity.

I take every opportunity to remind you filthy apes who live in glass houses shouldn't sling feces. In order to be self rightous, one must first have at least some rightousness on which to base your alleged "outrage".

Yes, certain individuals from wretched third world countries with absolutely deplorable human rights records who serve as sanctuaries for mass murdering war criminals do seem to want to fertilize the playing field with their particularly rancid hypocrisy and excrement.

It does take a unique sort of arrogance to blame the people of a civilized country who are trying to drag your barbaric regime out of the 17th century for the excesses of your own blood thirsty, goose stepping, wanna be storm troopers.

Get back to us when somebody from Argentina accomplishes something besides mass murder, atrocities, and invansions of defenseless islands in the south atlantic.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English is Easy? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI