Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Utah to the Rhine Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to the Rhine Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utah to the Rhine Campaign - 10/9/2000 6:06:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

Ok, here goes a quick brief on scenario 1. With artillery support I took the town on the left side fairly easily. Where I ran into trouble was with the German Panther and PGr platoons coming in on the south coupled with the Stug and infantry from the north. I should have know as much Given the campaign designer but it caught me unprepared. I mananged to handle them fairly well and won the scenario but it cost my corp units dearly. Didn't write down the ending score or losses but I'll be sure to get them after scenario 2. Speaking of which it is not looking good. So far it looks like a city battle with German armored units moving into it from the south while I'm coming from the north. A couple of nasty little bunkers to liven things up as well. I'm sure this will be a tough fight. I'm "scared" to think if I have to go toe to toe with German armor with a few Shermans and Stuarts. Well we'll see I guess. I'll post agin after this battle if my heart can hold out. ;-) Great Campaign Wild Bill! It's had me riveted to the screen for quite a bit now. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.
Post #: 1
- 10/9/2000 9:09:00 AM   
Wild Bill

From your description, you must have gotten a decisive victory because you've gone to Carentan. If you hadn't you would be back on Utah Beach fighting to keep it open (G). From this point on, we will call this thread the "Spoiler" . Remember if you read, it will give you hints on the campaign. Do it as your own risk Good report, Trooper. You did well in the first one. It gets better (or worse, depending on your point of view). I'm glad you are enjoying it. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Leibstandarte)
Post #: 2
- 10/9/2000 7:42:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

If I got a decisive I don't know how I pulled that off. I won't go into any further detail on here so as not to spoil anyone else's game but needless to say I have no more finger nails left. ;-) It goes without saying you have a nack for making edge of your seat scenarios and campaigns. Never a dull moment. I'll save my AAR's until the end and maybe I can post them on the AAR section of Matrix's site. Thanks again for a lot of time well spent on your scenarios/campaigns. Good thing I'm not a drinker, these could put an end to me. LOL ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Post #: 3
- 10/10/2000 10:58:00 PM   
Fredde

**WARNING! Spoiler ahead! ** Continue at your own risk! (happy WB? ) Can't resist writing a little about this. I have to say the first scenario of Utah to the Rhine campaign is one of the most interesting i have played. It demanded a lot of flexibility from my side, i had to reconsider my force disposition a couple of times. My core unit: One platoon of scout cars, one sherman platoon, one TD sec, one mech inf platoon, one M16 mobile AA and one mech engy platoon. Probably more like a mech company than a tank company, but that's more my style. Support: saw the city so i bought 3 batallions of mighty 8 inch guns. Also a single Stuart tank and a single Sherman dozer My first plan, advance slowly through the first city (expected some gerries to hide there!), move on westwards, catch up with the airborne and attack St Mere Eglise together with them. My mech engineer platoon was dispatched from the main force to occupy the three houses surrounding the southern victory objective. The Wolverine sec as reserve together with the Stuart, and the AA-gun (not much of a reserve). I couldn't even make the first part of my plan before i had to reconsider! Out of St Mere Eglise German armour came charging. My 57 mm AT gun with the Paras did wonders here. Left wrecks all over the place and wasn't spotted. Only one thing to do, full throttle ahead with my main force while i ordered the arty down on the attackers. The attack was stopped nicely, more by bad target picking from the AI and luck than by skillful play. More armour come charging down from the south, overrunning the poor Para-platoon guarding the woods. Another decision. Committed my entire reserve (together with the Sherman dozer ) and barely managed to kill off the northern attackers together with the remnants of the Para platoon. In the west everything went ok. My mech inf platoon together with the Paras advanced slowly but surely into the village heavily supported by artillery. But more German armour shows up, now to the south! No more reserves to commit, the Wolverines are busy fending off stug-III's attacking from the north. Luckily, the 57mm AT gun in the south did even better than the northern one. It got 11 kills in total, and 2 of those Panthers. The rest of the Germans didn't survive close contact with my mech engineers defending the objective area. After a turn of delay (because a german MG sneaked through my lines and recaptured a victory hex), the game ended in turn 12 with a decisive victory. 8932-340 to the Allies with 65 men, 1 jeep, 1 apc and 2 shermans lost. The Germans lost 503 men, 2 mortars, 8 APC's and a grand total of 26 tanks. Great fight! I can barely wait to jump into Carenthan. This campaign looks extremely promising

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 4
- 10/11/2000 1:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

SPOILER AHEAD! Thanks Fredde . . . . . . . . Good tactics. I chose the southern route into the city. Once fending off the German counterattack, (yes a medal for those AT gunners!), I fought my way into St Mere Eglise from the southern end. Once I had gotten into the outskirts of it, I sent my para force ahead from the east and caught them in a pincer move. Decisive here too! Of course, you missed defending Utah Beach, but that's okay. You did so well, Utah doesn't need defending now. On to the Rhine! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 5
- 10/11/2000 3:16:00 AM   
Tombstone

Spoiler. . . . . . . . . . This was a DAMN good campaign. I went through it with a platoon of m4a1's, a mech platoon, engineer platoon, scout platoon, and a m20 sec... and my support was a platoon of M10's and a couple of platoons of legs. It was a damn good fight. I was lucky in my dealings with the southern flank. I had a single wolverine take out the entire first pzIV platoon, and most of the infantry with a little help from one of the leg platoons. The middle was a grizzly fight though. My shermans did a lot in supporting the infantry, but the other 3 M10's got hammered by a pillbox south of the town. The eagles in the north had that area mostly under control, and I had parked the 76mm from the mech platoon on the northern objective hex, which in conjunction with the 57mm made for an ugly crossfire that put the StuG's out. It was a fantastic scenario. I went through the campaign with more infantry than the average person probably will. I ended up with one hell of a tank platoon though at the end. I had 4 easy 8's with 98 - 104 experience. It was fun being able to count on them to get the job done. I've said this before, but I believe this to be the best campaign experience available to date in the Steel Panthers universe. Tomo

Post #: 6
- 10/11/2000 3:26:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

I have to agree with Tombstone, this is the finest campaign I've ever played. I've got to had it to you Wild Bill, you definitly have a knack for these things. Can't wiat for the other three Normandy scenarios and your next campaign. Take your time though, I have my hands full with what I have now. ;-) Thanks again! ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Post #: 7
- 10/11/2000 6:00:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I had one of the finest testing groups a designer could ask for. My thanks. They were very diligent in their efforts and pointed out various problems along the way. My helmet is off to all of them. I hesitate to name each one for fear I'll miss someone, but here goes. William Rusco Rick Case Tombstone Tankhead Fabio P Justin Taylor John Keenan John Monahan Jim Raasch Steve Wang Michael Peck Stuart Millis Massimo Rocca I hope I got everyone. And a few others that took a quick look. As a result, one of this group is now doing his own campaign. It looks good, too! With so much testing, it was bound to come out well. And thanks for these encouraging reports, guys. It is a real incentive to start another right away. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited October 10, 2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 8
- 10/11/2000 6:25:00 AM   
RUsco

Wild Bill, I sure looks like you have a BIG winner."Utah to the Rhine." Congradulations Bill.

Post #: 9
- 10/11/2000 7:30:00 AM   
Major Ed

Just finished battle #1 SPOILER * * * * * * * * Core: HQ, M3 Halftrack Sec., Tank Co HQ, M4a1 Plt, M-10 Wolverine Plt, Mech Inf Plt (traded down to a jeep 60mm mortar and got 76mm AT) Support: Arm. Eng. Plt, M4 Dozer Sec. 105mm Arty (OB), FO jeep, Cav Recon Sec.(-)(M8 Greyhound,2 .30 cal jeeps) M-10's, Mech and HQ came out exit #4 and into Foucarville. Made it to the abn group on the hill next to the road to Beucville in time to help deal with the armored cars, the Jadg Pz's and the MK VI's. Took some inf. causalties but mostly sat back and hit them as they crested the hill. The M4's and engineers came out exit #3, went through the crossroads and swung around the south toward the 57mm near La Grand Chemin. When the pz grendiers and tanks came out of St Mere Eglise sent the M4's up that way to back them up. I agree will Fredde and Bill give that 57mm abn At crew a DSC or Silver Star. What's the equivalent of Master Gunner for a grunt? By turn 4-5 had repulsed most attacks with few casualties (some inf but not AFV's). Looked around and saw one of my victory hexes had been re-taken. Sent the engineers and recon folks to track down them jerries! At that point the German reinforcments showed up - in my rear areas!!. Swung the M-10s around to the north and the dozer M4's to the south. The center had degenerated into a slug fest. The M4's and OB arty supported the abn inf. As they slowly made their way into St Mere Eglise. Had to hurry the surviving M-10s south to deal with the Pz MK Vs. The other 75mm AT was literaly holding the fort. Ended on turn 16 or 17. Decisive Victory, but it was touch and go until the very end. Very intense, fast moving and enjoyable (all except the part where the bad guys are wreaking havoc in my rear area and when the german arty suppresses every unit I have in front of St Mere Eglise - wow!) Now let's see if I can get my act together and move onto Carentan. Great job, Bill but if they get any better I'll have to invest in the industrial size bottle of TUMS. "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag who allows the protesters to burn the flag." - Father Denis O'Brien, U.S. Marine Corps

Post #: 10
- 10/19/2000 6:45:00 PM   
Fredde

More spoilers..AAR's.. Finally got time to go on with the campaign. And what fights it was. From St Mere Eglise I went to Carentan. For the city battle I chose as much artillery as i could for support. A bigger scenario this time, with lots of aux units and.. for the first time, points per turn victory hexes. This proved to be difficult. A head-first bold charge for the victory hexes was tempting, but could also lead to heavy casualties. I decided to start more carefully and moved slowly southwards with infantry first. Perhaps a bad decision since I only found a couple of snipers between myself and the victory hexes. It would have been better to move quickly, seize most of the victory hexes and dig in waiting for the counter attack. It's always easy to be wise afterwards.. I met the German force advancing from the south somewhere in the middle of the city. We kept about one half of the victory hexes each. With my bad tanks (only 2 tanks with the L54 gun) i had no intention of charging his troops, so i sat back and dug in with the infantry awaiting the armour. Loads of Stug's supported by FJ troops came in hard on my position. My first line had to withdraw, but only after breaking the strength of the assault. The second line stopped the Germans, and counter-attacked. Pushing the remaining Germans in front of me, all over the map i managed to seize all of the victory hexes.. I suppose a little too late. I got a marginal victory only. Next scenario proved easier, plenty of time and no major German forces against me. I picked a para company as support. The German defence was almost purely fortifications to start with, not supported by infantry (other than a couple of snipers). Using recon i spotted the fortifications, placed smoke in front of them, moved around them with a combat team of engineers and tanks and killed them from behind. Many men and halftracks were lost to the mines. The German tanks hit me on the east side when i was in the city. They didn't do very well against paras and engineers hiding in stone buildings ;-). On the other side of the map, a Tiger managed to kill two scout cars and a Sherman before it took a bazooka shell in the side and went up in flames. The Germans tried to counterattack with infantry, but tough luck for them as they faced a para platoon supported by my M-16. The quad-50 mm Mg is one of the best anti-infantry weapons in the game i think. The scenario ended in tun 15 with a decisive victory. 7400-731 was the final score. Now on to a river crossing.. I have a feeling this will be a rough one! [This message has been edited by Fredde (edited October 19, 2000).]

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 11
- 10/19/2000 11:58:00 PM   
mogami

I am having a very good time so far!! In first battle Sgt Moe in Sherman 76 (named Nut House) crept out of smoke behind one of two Mark VI's that come from south at range 1 fired and gun malfuntions very embarressed when german points that long gun his direction somehow it missed and Moe retreats then on AI's turn MK-VI moves right next to sherman flame tank ("Zippo") and gets toasted (My 2 flame tanks are getting a lot of work now in battle with many bunkers) This is very enjoyable campagin (lucky so far tanks that get destroyed crews survive) Good Job Wild Bill!!! ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 12
- 10/20/2000 2:45:00 AM   
Don Doom

Ok this is my first try as an american, not so good. two groups of m4a1s, three plt of foot solder, one plt of eng. four 57mm atg. four spa 155s, one plt of m4 with inf riding running up the north road, one plt of m4s and inf up mid road, one plt foot solders walking/running up lower road. Paras attack large town and run into ht with inf and the three excech 35s show up? force one to be abandend. The other two blocking road into town. pzk IVs show up north and attack pars, force german inf back but tanks kep coming, Then for some reason the sherman I have sitting in a strand of trees not moving two hexes away, fires three times into the side and nothing happens. OK strick it up to luck I guess then my paras kill it at three hexes with a stove pipe????? Now I know why I hardly play the us side Loose one m4 to gun malf. one to close attack. Still in there but looks like battle in doubt. Can I call in a arc-light mission? Very good campain Will Bill, I hope I can challenge you some day to an onlie game. I will be either the russian or germany ) Don I may be down but I will be BACK!

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 13
- 10/20/2000 6:01:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thank you gentlemen. Coming from the cadre of experienced and well qualified gamers, I feel very honored. It had a good feel to it even in the design. I'm delighted that it has been challenging and fun. Yes, DD, you'll be back. Again, these notes are a great encouragement to push harder and do better. My heart-felt thanks to you all! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 14
- 10/21/2000 8:12:00 AM   
mogami

Hi just wanted to move this thread to top!!! For my first try at design I am doing the movie "Sahara" ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 15
- 10/22/2000 1:57:00 AM   
Don Doom

OK what happened to the post I had placed here? ?

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to the Rhine Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI