Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VH values in generated maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VH values in generated maps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VH values in generated maps - 4/14/2002 10:41:53 PM   
Mike Rothery

When using computer generated random maps, what are the range of VH vales you get? Does the computer use only end-of-battle values, or does it ever use points-per-turn?

The normal values seem to be 50 or 100 point end-of-battle VHs...anyone seem anything different?

MikeR
Post #: 1
- 4/14/2002 11:14:39 PM   
Charles2222

There's plenty of times when you get points-per-turn, though I am a little disappointed that the system is capable of awarding points for units advancing off the map, and that I've never seen that being the case in campaigns.

(in reply to Mike Rothery)
Post #: 2
- 4/15/2002 3:06:31 PM   
El_Peco

I got also point per turn, batween a range of 10 to 30 points per turn.
For the end of battle VHs I got values from 30 to 200.

Regards.

Post #: 3
- 4/16/2002 9:38:55 AM   
Svennemir

I've seen 5 per turn to 30 per turn,
and (I think)
10 points at end of battle (or was it 20) to 250.

These values are way too small in my opinion, making objectives secondary to kills. This also causes the many draws experienced in e.g. PBEM meeting engagements.

Either objective point values should be increased, or the impact of losses on score should be decreased.... I think. Who agrees?

Post #: 4
- 4/16/2002 10:06:34 AM   
WhiteRook

The answers you have received so far are pretty indictive of how the game handles it.
The thing you have to remember here is that the game is Never going to Match a Human created map and or scenario.
A well balanced map/scenario is just that a "balancing act" that the human designer has to dance around till the designer gets it right! :)
I have been designing scenarios and maps for every version of SP for several years now and I still continue to say that the balancing of the Victory Point Hexes is the key to any scenario turning out good and still the hardest part of the whole process.
Just my input for this can of worms! :D

Post #: 5
- 4/16/2002 4:53:48 PM   
Mike Rothery

It may help if I explain why I am asking.

Last year in the Combat Command leagues, we had a small number of players registering huge scores. The sort of scores you would have to play 15-20,000 point games to get. It occured to me that what was happening was that some folks were using maps with high per-turn VHs. And were thus pulling in scores over the 20,000 point mark when playing relatively small, quick games.

I set an arbitary max point limit of 15,000 for the last league, but had one player report a legitimate score just over this.

What I am considering is limiting the max values for VH's, and wanted to hear of your experiences so that I set a limit just above that normally encountered in generated maps.

MikeR

Post #: 6
- 4/18/2002 11:10:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

FOr competitive purposes I would use pre-designed maps with the V-hexes assigned by a human.

Also note that in a scenario you can ust the "V+" button to scale the ratio between the v-hexes and the units.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VH values in generated maps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI