Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> 3rd Party Developers Area >> DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 5:56:11 AM   
dreamtheatervt

The wing-T is possibly my favorite offense, the misdirection, the multitude of threats simultaniously posed to the defense... a migrane headache waiting for defensive players. I don't know when it will be done, but I want to give a sneak peak as again this will be a radically different type of playbook that will rely heavily on the run.

What follows is the basis of the Wing-T attack, the 20 series.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dreamtheatervt -- 9/7/2008 6:03:40 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 5:56:51 AM   
dreamtheatervt

It starts with the buck trap...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 2
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 5:57:34 AM   
dreamtheatervt

Once the defense collapses on the trap, the sweep hits the flank

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 5:58:34 AM   
dreamtheatervt

and once the sweep is defended...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 5:59:38 AM   
dreamtheatervt

...you fake the buck trap and sweep...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 6:00:33 AM   
dreamtheatervt

...and attack the opposite flank with the boot

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 6:01:22 AM   
dreamtheatervt

and now that we have threatened the middle and both flanks...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 6:01:59 AM   
dreamtheatervt

... we can start throwing the ball

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 6:02:29 AM   
dreamtheatervt

and continue to make big gains

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 6:08:58 AM   
therhino

Wow that looks really cool DTVT. That is really going to give my leagues teams some options.

Post #: 10
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/7/2008 7:15:19 AM   
garysorrell

Good stuff. Im looking forward to this. Thanks for all your hard work.

(in reply to therhino)
Post #: 11
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/8/2008 1:03:39 AM   
quixian

The wing-t looks sweet.  Set up the 335 D this weekend and was impressed, particularly with the zone coverage and outside run containment.  The offensive spread sets were really nice also.  Can't wait to try out the wing-t next.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 12
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/24/2008 6:43:05 PM   
BigSmooth

How is this coming along? I set up one of the weaker teams in the GFF with your Spread/ 335 Defense playbook and they have become a dangerous team. I'm looking forward to this playbook.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 13
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/24/2008 11:24:43 PM   
garysorrell

Yeah, what BigSmooth said.....we want our spread

Seriously though, thanks for all the work you and other guys like Hack do on playbooks, makes the game 100% better.

(in reply to BigSmooth)
Post #: 14
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/25/2008 5:46:02 AM   
dreamtheatervt

It's still in the works, but life has kept me busy the past two weeks.  I might be able to push this through within a week or so, but no promises.  The problem I run into is I always want to make the playbooks too big, so striking a balance between completeness and ease of use is something that drives my perfection seeking self bat $**t crazy.  I started this one, but now I'm wondering if I should have organized by formation & series as apposed to just formation.

@ BigSmooth - Which team uses the Spread /335?  Do any teams use my other Pro/43 book?

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 15
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/25/2008 1:39:39 PM   
DAWUSS

I'll take the bigger playbooks. IMO I have enough high school-sized playbooks and not enough professional-sized ones

Post #: 16
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/25/2008 3:34:26 PM   
dreamtheatervt

The problem with large playbooks is that they become unwieldy to use on the spot.  I'm not a sim-player, I like to call my own plays, and if I have too many plays in a formation, it becomes too difficult to manage.  If there were a paging (EA) or tab system (FBPro) in addition to what is in place, I'd be all about making ginormous playbooks, but anything I make I have to use, so I'll be sticking to about 25 plays per formation.

(in reply to DAWUSS)
Post #: 17
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 9/25/2008 3:49:19 PM   
BigSmooth

The Hollywood Stars will be using the Spread/335 playbook and the Philadelphia Americans will be using the Pro/43 playbook. I'm in the process of play testing,tweaking the constants and assigning different playbooks to teams to make them competitive before I restart season 1.

Post #: 18
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 10/22/2008 10:24:59 AM   
Tullius

The Delaware T-Wing is an interesting project and i had the idea to make a playbook for FBPro99 a long time ago. I have all the Raymond/Kempski book (except the book about the Option).

I have some questions about implanting this offense in the MF universe.

1. When you look at the average skill range of a TE and RB in the maindata.mdb you will see that an average TE has a blocking rating of 43 (like a WR) and a RB of 58. The average OL is rated 80. An average QB has an average blocking rating of 18 and when i recall some plays right then a QB has sometimes blocking duties. So we need to adjust the skill range.

2. More interesting is if a T-Wing playbook could be run successfully in a MF league when the league has a professional style. I understand that in the NFL you could not run the Delaware T-Wing because the matchups RB / DL or LB are not in your favour and a running, passing and blocking QB will be a major headache for all coaches (and owners) but in a MF universe it would be nice when a typical college play can be so successful like a "professional" play.

(in reply to BigSmooth)
Post #: 19
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 10/22/2008 5:59:53 PM   
Marauders

quote:

DTVT stated: The problem with large playbooks is that they become unwieldy to use on the spot.  I'm not a sim-player, I like to call my own plays, and if I have too many plays in a formation, it becomes too difficult to manage.  If there were a paging (EA) or tab system (FBPro) in addition to what is in place, I'd be all about making ginormous playbooks, but anything I make I have to use, so I'll be sticking to about 25 plays per formation.

That is a very good point.

One must consider that although real world playbooks have hundreds of plays, many of those plays are not practiced and gameplanned each week.  In Maximum Football, one must consider the playbook to be what the team had gameplanned for that week.  It can be revised and altered between games with any plays that one wishes from the larger playbook that is all plays available.

Good playbook design means good plays, organization, nomenclature, and gameplans.  It is not a simple thing, but that's part of the fun of it.

Note that Madden custom playbooks are limited to 81 plays and FBPro playbooks were limited to 64 plus the special plays on each side of the ball.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 20
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 10/22/2008 8:47:58 PM   
dreamtheatervt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tullius

The Delaware T-Wing is an interesting project and i had the idea to make a playbook for FBPro99 a long time ago. I have all the Raymond/Kempski book (except the book about the Option).

I have some questions about implanting this offense in the MF universe.

1. When you look at the average skill range of a TE and RB in the maindata.mdb you will see that an average TE has a blocking rating of 43 (like a WR) and a RB of 58. The average OL is rated 80. An average QB has an average blocking rating of 18 and when i recall some plays right then a QB has sometimes blocking duties. So we need to adjust the skill range.

2. More interesting is if a T-Wing playbook could be run successfully in a MF league when the league has a professional style. I understand that in the NFL you could not run the Delaware T-Wing because the matchups RB / DL or LB are not in your favour and a running, passing and blocking QB will be a major headache for all coaches (and owners) but in a MF universe it would be nice when a typical college play can be so successful like a "professional" play.

To address your points:

1) Using JD's tools, you can fix those values. I think they are reflective of the pass-happier CFL since David is Canadian. Nothing wrong with that, we can make the game what we want. QB's block about as often in the Wing-T as they do in other offenses, which is very rarely. I will state that in practice they do fine against 34 and 43 defenses. Blocking in the Wing-T is more about getting leverage and angles than overpowering the defender, so not having great blocking values isn't critical. The Wing-T team I played against in high school had small o-lines, but they always led the conference in rushing and were always a top team despite not having the size of some the other schools in our conference.

2) I think it can in the game. FBPro98 didn't take kindly to non-pro style offenses, but it's predicesors did (FBPro93 the Wing-T was nearly unstoppable for me). I was planning on making a 34 defense to go along with the Wing-T, but I may put that on hold and just release the offense when I get home so people can play with it and see what they think. The real hinderance to the Wing-T is that teams don't like putting their QB at risk.

As an aside, I'm not making a true Delaware Wing-T, there are parts that don't fit into the game, so I had to change and replace some of the series. I also made some other changes for other reasons...but it's still the Wing-T, and not the Spread-T (a spread/Wing-T hybrid some smaller colleges are using).

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 21
RE: DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview - 12/24/2008 10:00:30 PM   
SJ9R

Hi dreamtheatervt,

The Wing T looks awsome. Will you make it available when it is finished? I would love to use it in my league.

Thanks,
SJ9r.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> 3rd Party Developers Area >> DTVT's Wing-T Offense: A sneak preview Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI