Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

And why do I have ships?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> And why do I have ships? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And why do I have ships? - 10/23/2008 8:12:00 PM   
Xerkis

So what do ship do?

So far I have completely ignored ships in this game. And that might be the best for now – still trying to get my tactics down and trying to keep those impatient and fickle governors happy.

But sometime in the future I would like to bring them into play.

Any simple - starting off – type sugestions.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 8:38:33 AM   
haruntaiwan

If you are the south, keep your ships in port and ignore them.

Has anyone ever used them as the South?

If you are the North, creating blockade fleets is very useful, and even maybe some amphibious landings.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 2
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 12:55:07 PM   
Xerkis

I did try for a little while to use them as North in a blockade. Maybe my way of thinking is wrong here. Please correct it if it is.

I was thinking that if I had a ship in every ocean space that it would block the supplies coming into the South. I also have tried to chase after the Southern ships, thinking I could attack them. But end results were supplies keep coming in and I never seem to be able to attack another ship.

How do you use them for blockade and can you – and how – do you attack another ship?

Amphibious landings?? How do I do that?

Thanks for the help.

< Message edited by Xerkis -- 10/24/2008 12:58:02 PM >

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 3
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 5:04:06 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xerkis

I did try for a little while to use them as North in a blockade. Maybe my way of thinking is wrong here. Please correct it if it is.

I was thinking that if I had a ship in every ocean space that it would block the supplies coming into the South. I also have tried to chase after the Southern ships, thinking I could attack them. But end results were supplies keep coming in and I never seem to be able to attack another ship.

How do you use them for blockade and can you – and how – do you attack another ship?

Amphibious landings?? How do I do that?

Thanks for the help.

- Whenever you have a ship in the same sea area as a runner, there is a chance each turn that your ship will damage the runner
- if you manage a complete blockade that should get you some VPs unless my memory serves me incorrect
- I rarely play the Union, but unless I'm very mistaken there should be a pulldown menu when you have a ship selected that allows you to chose "blockade port #enter name here#" (as long as there is a port in the sea area your fleet is located). To blockade I believe your fleets need atleast 3 ships in them.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 4
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 5:06:14 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: haruntaiwan

I had one game some time back when I built a fleet and three ICs, managed to wreck havoc on the Union fleet, but I would say that it is a huge drain on the already strained Confederate economy to build a fleet that is worth bringing to sea.
(I will also disband my riverboats as well when I play)

Post #: 5
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 5:24:22 PM   
Xerkis

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

- Whenever you have a ship in the same sea area as a runner, there is a chance each turn that your ship will damage the runner

So are you saying there is no way to "attack" an enemy ship? it is just a luck (chance) thing and you have no real control over that?

quote:

- if you manage a complete blockade that should get you some VPs unless my memory serves me incorrect
- I rarely play the Union, but unless I'm very mistaken there should be a pulldown menu when you have a ship selected that allows you to chose "blockade port #enter name here#" (as long as there is a port in the sea area your fleet is located). To blockade I believe your fleets need atleast 3 ships in them.

Got ya. I need to make sure there is enough ships in fleet and sitting at the port with the option selected.

Thanks

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 6
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/24/2008 5:25:50 PM   
Xerkis

quote:

quote:

I had one game some time back when I built a fleet and three ICs, managed to wreck havoc on the Union fleet, but I would say that it is a huge drain on the already strained Confederate economy to build a fleet that is worth bringing to sea.
(I will also disband my riverboats as well when I play)

If I have riverboats sitting where a fort or city is - does that help in any way for attack or deffence?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/25/2008 2:23:02 AM   
terje439

quote:

So are you saying there is no way to "attack" an enemy ship? it is just a luck (chance) thing and you have no real control over that?

There is no way to "attack" a runner, that is correct. Other ships will be engaged when both sides have ships in the same sea area, but the Confederacy does not have enough ships to go out to sea and face the Union fleet anyway. But yes, a die roll to damage the runners, it would render runners useless if not done this way, as the Union has so many ships, and would kill of the runners in a turn or two.

quote:

If I have riverboats sitting where a fort or city is - does that help in any way for attack or deffence?

Riverboats will help in sieges against enemy cities/fortifications. If a riverboat is in the same river area as an enemy container (and with no friendly container), it will be forced to retreat, and if there is nowere to retreat to, will be destroyed. So it is useless in defence as it will be forced away before the siege starts.

(in reply to Xerkis)
Post #: 8
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/25/2008 6:46:58 PM   
Mutation2241

quote:

if you manage a complete blockade that should get you some VPs unless my memory serves me incorrect

Whats the prerequisites for complete blockade?! Not sure if i got how it works... There are 22 Union ships in Mid-Atlantic in my current game, and neither Wilmington nor Raleigh or the Halifax province (has an anchor symbol for harbor) are beeing blockaded. Whats the deal

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/25/2008 10:29:12 PM   
terje439

Since I never play the Union I actually had to look this up hehe

1. Each ship in a sea zone has 10% chance each turn to damage a blockade runner (individual roll per ship)
2. Blockading ports also might reduce ammount of goods the Confederacy recieves from Europe
3.Anaconda Plan
*2 VP to USA for each of the following conditions:
--US controls every every province of Mississippi River at and below Illinois
--50% or more of CS ports blockaded by fleets of at least 30 Strength (in ship units)
--100% of CS ports blockaded by fleets of at least 30 Strength (in ship units)

One ship=10 Strength unless damaged so 3 ships is the minimum for a blockade.

(in reply to Mutation2241)
Post #: 10
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/27/2008 8:14:22 AM   
haruntaiwan

Terje,

You disband your river boats as the CSA?

How much do you save?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 11
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/27/2008 9:01:47 AM   
terje439

quote:

Terje,

How much do you save?

No idea in term of resources, it is just that I find it annoying having them pushed back and then I forget them somewere... Nah only one way to bring down a Union fort - Bring some good Southern lads and charge it

Post #: 12
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/27/2008 1:20:24 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

Terje,

How much do you save?

No idea in term of resources, it is just that I find it annoying having them pushed back and then I forget them somewere... Nah only one way to bring down a Union fort - Bring some good Southern lads and charge it

They really appreciate your doing it that way too. They get to kill so many more of them when you have terrible artillery and engineering. All that river boat does is up your artillery rating tremendously.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/27/2008 9:57:54 PM   
terje439

Nah, thanks to the Union I usually have plenty of arty

And Camps will usually bring in some 10-15k new recruits every turn.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 14
RE: And why do I have ships? - 10/28/2008 3:12:03 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

Nah, thanks to the Union I usually have plenty of arty

And Camps will usually bring in some 10-15k new recruits every turn.

You wouldn't have if you played anything other than the AI.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> And why do I have ships? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI