Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Serious Question for Gil R.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> OT Serious Question for Gil R. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/29/2008 3:14:51 PM   
siRkid

Would you ever consider using the FoF engine to make a fantasy game? I would be willing to donate time and or money for a serious game with fantasy units. Most of the turn based fantasy games developed in the past are always on the cuties side. Sword of Aragon was an excellent game that should have been expanded on. My dream would be a marriage between you and Warhammer but I understand they are very hard to work with.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 3:48:50 AM   
Gil R.

I'd personally welcome a fantasy game, since I wouldn't have to edit 1000 bios for it!

But seriously... I just messaged you. Thanks for your post.

What do others thing about using the COG/FOF engine for fantasy, sci-fi?

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 5:07:50 AM   
haruntaiwan

I don't understand why my Fireball Catapults keep getting hit by counter-fire from barbarian units with the tribal shaman attribute...I thought only buying the wizard attribute could make infantry counterfire indirectly?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 6:06:22 AM   
Gil R.

The best thing about a fantasy game is that if we decide to give the trolls a navy, no one is going to complain that our game is deeply flawed because everyone knows that the trolls' navy shouldn't be as strong as the centaurs' navy.

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 9:15:44 AM   
moose1999

Hehe, well, a fantasy game on the FOF engine wouldn't be of much interest to me.
I'm sure it could be fun, but a big portion of the fun of FOF and COG for me is the historical content and context.
I'd personally much rather see you use your time and energy on historical wargames than on a fantasy game.

regards,

Briny

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 3:35:59 PM   
Hard Sarge

yea but, just think of the Bios you could write !

I for one, would support it, as long as I get to help test it :)

(and it had HW in it)

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 4:04:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
I'd personally welcome a fantasy game, since I wouldn't have to edit 1000 bios for it!

Fantasy generals need bios too, Gil. Besides, the game just wouldn't be good without them!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 6:39:22 PM   
siRkid

quote:

The best thing about a fantasy game is that if we decide to give the trolls a navy, no one is going to complain that our game is deeply flawed because everyone knows that the trolls' navy shouldn't be as strong as the centaurs' navy.

No but you would get comments like, "hey you have Dwarfs fighting beside Elves and everyone knows they hate each other." or "how come the undead need supplies?"

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 7:57:30 PM   
WallysWorld

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman
Hehe, well, a fantasy game on the FOF engine wouldn't be of much interest to me.
I'm sure it could be fun, but a big portion of the fun of FOF and COG for me is the historical content and context.
I'd personally much rather see you use your time and energy on historical wargames than on a fantasy game.

I agree with the above comments.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 9:00:41 PM   
jkBluesman

What kind of fantasy should it be? LoR is out of the question, Song of Ice and Fire would be great but has not that many magical creatures. Malazan might work as Steven Erikson created his world for role playing. But if you create your own fantasy world you have to introduce this world to players somehow and that might lead to a 200 page manual.
Better to go back in history, let's say to BC maybe?

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to WallysWorld)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/30/2008 9:17:48 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Ah yes, but then a fantasy game isn't expected to be based on historical accuracy either.

Most of those complaining of historical accuracy issues in FoF seem to have moved on.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/31/2008 6:41:22 AM   
2ndACR

I enjoyed Sword of Aragon years ago........I like to be able to grow and improve my empire

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 12
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 10/31/2008 2:45:06 PM   
morganbj

Gee, it seems to me that FOF IS a fantasy game.  The South overrunning the North in '63?  Sure, that could have happened.

But, on topic, it would be kinda cool, a change of pace.  But, keep it moddable, so scenarios could be built for it by all those dwarfs, trolls, and fairies out there.  (Absolutely NO puns intended.)

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 11/2/2008 3:24:27 AM   
Tanaka

A fantasy game using FOF engine would be amazing! You guys would draw even more of a crowd for that! I would pick that one up in a heartbeat!

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 14
RE: OT Serious Question for Gil R. - 11/2/2008 11:51:32 AM   
GShock

FOF engine can be used in any environment, fantasy included. Look at AGEOD's experience: 1 engine = many games, each in a different scenario it's a choice that pays. 

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> OT Serious Question for Gil R. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI