Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

And the profile nonsense bites again

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> And the profile nonsense bites again Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:07:17 PM   
mbsports

As I prepare my league for our CFL season I tried to import profiles - because as annoys the heck out of me - the absolutely horrific use of a profile to allow the computer to change up a human team comes into play while simming if you don't set a f'ing profile.

Please excuse my language albeit abridged as I'm just about as frustrated as I've ever been with this sim.

So I try to set up the GD profiles but I can't import them b/c I need to start a new season first.
OK first of all, I don't want to start a new season. I actually manually have to bump my seasons forward b/c again the sim automagically does things that should be under human control such as generating enough draft players to fill 45 leagues of this size. Why? Just cuz - Yes I know I can update the DB but I shouldn't have to.

Now with this change I'm trying to copy/paste the profile in thru excel, but again that isn't working, why? I have some suspicions it again comes down to some of the absolutely insane formatting that was put in place for again no apparent reason. Why the most difficult path was chosen for things like this and for how stats are saved is just is extremely frustrating.

So basically this stupid f'ing profile nonsense is again causing me to have to go thru advanced DB changes b/c it apparently is too hard to tell the computer if it's a human team don't f'ing drop and sign or ever f'ing generate players.

This is without a doubt one of the most annoying and frustrating issues with Max FB and as opposed to some of the issues such as output... people cover up for it. Under no circumstance should the computer EVER change the depth chart, add a player, or remove a player from a team.

This is why people don't use MaxFB and why I struggle with it. It makes decisions and determinations automatically that should never be made automatically. If the team is human controlled the cpu needs to keep hands off - but for some reason that very very simple requirement is seen as a major no no.

Still F'ing Nonsense and every justification for it still seems wrong to me. If the lineup is invalid give the human a chance to fix it, if the lineup is valid run, but letting the cpu make decisions that directly affect the team based upon a draft f'ing profile? That is kind of silly.

Mb
Post #: 1
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:15:11 PM   
mbsports

As a note - I fixed this by importing thru a linked DB - again this is something that I shouldn't have to do for the sake of preventing the cpu from jacking up human controlled teams.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 2
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:21:08 PM   
Tullius

Sorry, i do not see your problem. You can define a profile and save it. Even when the season has started you can still import the file. A problem can occur when you change the number of a position or do not fill the depth charts. In the latter case the AI manages the team when there is problem but this means it overhauls the whole team.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 3
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:25:54 PM   
mbsports

Yeah but I can't import it or update it inside the simulation at a certain point - which is a problem with the sim.  I don't know why it isn't functioning properly but if I have to perform nonsensical tasks then those nonsensical tasks should be functional.

Also the AI should never manage the team - it's a human managed team.  The AI should never manage a human team - or else it would be an AI team, in which case I would agree with you.  It's human managed, meaning a human should have to make those changes - never the AI. The AI needs to stay out of the realm of setting up the makeup of the team.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 4
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:32:25 PM   
Tullius

Maybe because i have the latest build when i have an invalid depth chart the game sends now an error message and does NOT manage the team (both in the sim and 3D modus). Here is a screen. Before the game i removed all QBs from the depth chart.

When a season has started you can export a file and then import the file to your or any other team - but i seems only these profile which have been saved after the start of the season.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tullius -- 8/24/2008 7:33:28 PM >

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 5
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:42:07 PM   
mbsports

Yup - I do not have the latest build as I'm not a tester... but that is a really nice change... and exactly the functionality that I am looking for.

On the build that the serfs have we don't get things like that or scoring summaries yet.

Makes it hell to run a league using this thing.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 6
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 7:59:26 PM   
Mykal

Jeepers MB, just read your top post

I thought ya' head was gonna explode,
Chill Bro, Chill, Breathe deeply now, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.............aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, aint that better.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 7
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 8:10:20 PM   
mbsports

Well once I figured out a way to import via sql to the db it pretty much ceased to be a huge issue - I'm back to being pretty happy now because I was able to run a few test games to make sure the quick sim settings were providing accurate results and boo ya'.  They're better then we've seen in seasons' past.

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 8
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 9:20:09 PM   
Tullius

quote:

When a season has started you can export a file and then import the file to your or any other team - but i seems only these profile which have been saved after the start of the season.

Here i was wrong. Even when the season has started you can now import team profiles - when they are in the TeamProfiles folder.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 9
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 9:25:54 PM   
Tullius

And when we speak about team profiles i will mention that at the moments a team profiles creator is in works. This little tool will produce team profiles as .txt file so that you can import the profile. But it is not really suited for drafts because the positions are not shuffled.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 10
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/24/2008 10:08:30 PM   
garysorrell

I use excel to randomly generate my profiles. I entered in a basic profile for my league and then use the =RAND() command to add a column of numbers and then sort by them. I then save as txt and open it and clean it up if need be. Then I re-generate the column of numbers again and re-sort. On and on to get some random profiles.
A little wonky but i like to have lots of profiles handy.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 11
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/25/2008 3:22:06 AM   
mbsports

I can see how valuable it would be for CPU run teams, but when you've got human beings, man does it get frustrating.  It's good to know that it has been addressed though.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 12
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/25/2008 2:53:24 PM   
Mykal

Kewl, all chilled out again MB
excellent, normal play resumed

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 13
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 8/25/2008 3:35:15 PM   
Tullius

quote:

But it is not really suited for drafts because the positions are not shuffled.

The tool is almost ready. So i can correct my statement. A draft is still possible because you can fill up to 24 slots in the advanced modus.

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 14
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 10/31/2008 9:10:50 PM   
Hampe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tullius

Maybe because i have the latest build when i have an invalid depth chart the game sends now an error message and does NOT manage the team (both in the sim and 3D modus). Here is a screen. Before the game i removed all QBs from the depth chart.

What exactly can cause a team profile to be invalid? All the teams in my new league keep getting this, but with "team profile".

< Message edited by Hampe -- 10/31/2008 9:13:29 PM >

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 15
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 10/31/2008 9:35:43 PM   
Tullius

quote:

What exactly can cause a team profile to be invalid? All the teams in my new league keep getting this, but with "team profile".

The team profile is not invalid - "only" the roster. When the profile requires to have 6 WR and you have 5 or 7 active WR then you will get the message.

(in reply to Hampe)
Post #: 16
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 10/31/2008 9:47:51 PM   
Hampe

Nevermind, I got it.  I changed the team size number in the league DB, because I wanted to have rosters of 29, not 20. 

The team profiles were for 20, and after I created 9 more entries for each team, it appears to work.

(in reply to Hampe)
Post #: 17
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 11/26/2008 6:46:13 PM   
mbsports

FYI - setting up profiles is still a disaster on the latest update - I'm working with 3 DBs, a SQL query setup and a file called stupid.xls in order to properly put in the profiles as the humans determined outside of the system.

The more I work with leagues in Max FB the more I've come to the conclusion that the profile section is one of the worst designed, worst implemented, and worst executed devices in any sim that I've used.

The profile section is a joke and never should have been included as something that has to even be included for a human controlled team.  The profile is the team as created by the human, there should be no need for a draft profile that affects in season play.

So frustrating to deal with even though I have a methodology for addressing my leagues. 

(in reply to Hampe)
Post #: 18
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 11/26/2008 8:09:17 PM   
Marauders

There are reasons for having the team profiles the way they are, especially for computer controlled teams, but it would be nice to allow human controlled teams to turn this off or at least have the actual roster numbers indicated on the team profile screen.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 19
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 11/26/2008 8:42:06 PM   
mbsports

No doubt - here's a good way around it though for all you kids out there.

Run another DB and just pull in your active players with team #, Position #, Player #

Only pull the actives though or else this won't work.

Once you do that copy the thing out to excel and set up your columns like this

Team #, Season #<put in manually>, Round #, Position #, Criteria 1, Criteria 2

Now if you're talking human teams the criteria don't mean a lick so just put 1 and 2 all the way down, then for Round # do this

Sort by Team # and make the value for the top row in round # 1
Then below that run an if query in excel
=IF(A3=A2,C1+1,1)

That should do what you need and then you just copy and paste back in and you're all set.

Easier then hand typing even if it's annoying :-)

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 20
RE: And the profile nonsense bites again - 5/6/2009 8:20:58 AM   
Marauders

quote:

I actually manually have to bump my seasons forward b/c again the sim automagically does things that should be under human control such as generating enough draft players to fill 45 leagues of this size. Why? Just cuz - Yes I know I can update the DB but I shouldn't have to.

In my opinion, this is something that is broken. There are too many players generated for a league. How many kickers does an eight team league need?

It's a good idea to use J.D.'s utility to make many of those players worthless.

I have brought this topic up several times.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> And the profile nonsense bites again Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI