Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 3:42:27 PM   
wfzimmerman

Sometimes I think I am a really good publisher, and sometimes I think I am an idiot.

It just dawned on me that I have been observing the creation of a really fun little book in the OT-WWII Quiz thread.

Am I smart for thinking of that now, or stupid for not thinking of it months ago? YMMV.

Here's my idea:

I will turn the Q&As in the WWII Quiz thread into a book, most likely ~ 100 pp. Simple Q&A format, most likely organized chronologically or by theatre.

I will ask everyone whom I quote directly for permission to quote them in the book. I may ask for citations via PM or email.

I will turn over the author's royalties to Steve H. as the MWIF community's gesture of appreciation for his service above and beyond the call of duty. in all likelihood, these won't be much (I am a micro-publisher, not Random House), but they will be enough to buy him dinner on us every month or two.

In the thread title I asked Steve H.(aka Shannon O'Keets) not to read this thread so he would not suffer from an inconveniently noble impulse to refuse our gift, and Steve, if you are reading this anyway, zip it. ;-)

Thoughts? Any glaring red sirens that should tell me to cease and desist?

Post #: 1
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 4:18:33 PM   
composer99

Many of the quiz questions may have come from other people's WWII trivia/obscure fact books, so I suppose there could be some IP issues there.

~ Composer99

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 2
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 4:28:53 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Many of the quiz questions may have come from other people's WWII trivia/obscure fact books, so I suppose there could be some IP issues there.

That's an argument for rewriting or paraphrasing, the facts themselves aren't copyrighted, just the expression of them. I will be sure and check with posters to see where they got their questions.

Fred

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 3
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 6:02:48 PM   
Anendrue

Outstanding idea.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 4
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 7:40:00 PM   
cockney

I think its a great idea.

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 5
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 7:48:53 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman
I will turn over the author's royalties to Steve H. as the MWIF community's gesture of appreciation for his service above and beyond the call of duty. in all likelihood, these won't be much (I am a micro-publisher, not Random House), but they will be enough to buy him dinner on us every month or two.

Hey, that's a hell of an idea !
If you do that, I'll buy one too !

Post #: 6
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 10:40:29 PM   
bredsjomagnus

Great idea! Go for it!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 7
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/7/2008 11:07:56 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

+1

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 8
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/12/2008 6:22:22 PM   
mlees

Been done:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-WWII-Quiz-Book/dp/B001GTX03I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1226514093&sr=1-2

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/12/2008 10:25:52 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Been done:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-WWII-Quiz-Book/dp/B001GTX03I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1226514093&sr=1-2

yes, I saw that -- it's kind of a mixed signal that there' s only one wwii quiz book out there. Usually, if a type of book is popular, you see a lot of lemmings///// publishers heading for the cliff. We'll see!

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 10
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/13/2008 12:54:24 PM   
Frederyck

quote:

Been done:

Yeah, but that book is almost 25 years old, published by Barnes and Noble in 1984 and reprinted once in 1998, so I wouldn't worry too much about there already being one out there.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 11
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/13/2008 3:56:03 PM   
mlees

I wasn't "worried". For some reason, I got the impression that the OP felt that there weren't any WW2 trivia books out there (even if he didn't actually state that), and I pointed to a book I knew (from having a copy) that there were some out there.

Also, I'm not sure that the age of the book matters that much, in this case. After all, we're talking about events that occured 40 years prior to the books publishing date. The "facts" should not have changed much since then, and while there has been some progress in official records becoming declassified, I am not sure if that would translate to mountains of new trivia to be revealed to average folks. (Professional/Academic historians, amybe. But not armchair historians like me. :) )

However, I don't want to leave y'all with the impression that I am a negative personality. Even if there were a hundred quiz books out there, the OP is free to work on getting whatever he feels like published. I like trivia, I am facinated with WW2 history, and I wish the OP lot's of luck in his endevours in this regard.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 12
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/13/2008 9:29:24 PM   
Frederyck

The age thing was mostly a factor in that it might not be readily available nowadays, and thus not a competitor in that regard. A small *new* paperback with lots of cool questions from this board, marketed well (on this and lots of other wwii forums etc) wouldn't lose any sales from an old book like that, I think, as it probably would have if that old book instead just had been published.

As it stands, it doesn't matter if the content is similar. People like shiny new stuff.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 13
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 11/15/2008 3:50:05 AM   
brian brian

I scored a copy of that book at my Library's annual book sale this summer, and is where I got some of the questions I brought to that thread.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 14
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 1/12/2009 10:01:39 PM   
wfzimmerman

Just a quick note to let everyone know I have not forgotten about this project -- in fact I have about 50 pp done -- I have been swamped with contracted books -- but I will be coming back to this soonish.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 15
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 1/13/2009 2:59:27 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

+1

ditto very much! I have a world of useless trivia, but, kind of like how hearing a joke will remind you of another that you might have not remembered for years, I usually dont think of it until I read someone elses question. But count me in!

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 16
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 1/13/2009 5:01:54 AM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

Been done:

Do it anyway.

Any original work is fine. Just don't plagarize. As was said before, the facts are facts. Quoting sources is fine. Much of this stuff is in the public arena or easily available to anyone with access to a history library (or any good sized library with a good history section), or access to the internet.

It is a great idea.

Do it.

Mark

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 17
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 1/29/2009 9:12:06 PM   
wfzimmerman

I've put this on the schedule for May 2009.

http://www.nimblebooks.com/wordpress/forthcoming-from-nimble-books/

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 18
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 2/4/2009 2:26:20 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

I've put this on the schedule for May 2009.

http://www.nimblebooks.com/wordpress/forthcoming-from-nimble-books/

Updated my schedule to read July 27, 2009.

Post #: 19
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 2/7/2009 1:55:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Great idea, good to see this come from a forum thread, I've often thought there was a ton of great military history in these forum thread.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 20
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 4/6/2009 6:41:54 PM   
wfzimmerman

Time to decloak on the Wargamer's WWII Quiz book, to be published in honor of Steve Hokanson's heroic work in completing Matrix World In Flames. As described in this thread, the goal is to publish the book on MWIF's release date, July 27, 2009. All author's royalties will be donated to Steve as a "thank you" from the community.

To get there in time, I need to enlist your help in "crowd-sourcing" the editing and publication. I have created a Google Form that should be accessible to anyone regardless of whether you have a Google ID. The URL is:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA..

As the form explains, you must agree to the contributor's contract, which essentially says you are donating your efforts, but will receive an author's copy of the book, and you must affirm that what you are contributing is not copyrighted. the form is set up to allow the entry of up to four questions and answers. You can do this as many times as you want. If you really want to get industrial about this (and please do!), just send me an email to wfz at nimblebooks doht com and I will add you as a collaborator to the Google Doc.

< Message edited by wfzimmerman -- 4/6/2009 8:23:48 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 21
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 4/6/2009 8:01:29 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Time to decloak on the Wargamer's WWII Quiz book, to be published in honor of Steve Hokanson's heroic work in completing Matrix World In Flames. As described in this thread, the goal is to publish the book on MWIF's release date, July 27, 2009. All author's royalties will be donated to Steve as a "thank you" from the community.

To get there in time, I need to enlist your help in "crowd-sourcing" the editing and publication. I have created a Google Form that should be accessible to anyone regardless of whether you have a Google ID. The URL is:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/nimblebooks.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA..

As the form explains, you must agree to the contributor's contract, which essentially says you are donating your efforts, but will receive an author's copy of the book, and you must affirm that what you are contributing is not copyrighted. the form is set up to allow the entry of up to four questions and answers. You can do this as many times as you want. If you really want to get industrial about this (and please do!), just send me an email to wfz at nimblebooks doht com and I will add you as a collaborator to the Google Doc.

I tried the link and it only gets me to a sign-in page.

Paul

Post #: 22
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 4/6/2009 8:28:01 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA

I tried the link and it only gets me to a sign-in page.

Try now. Google makes this very difficult.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 23
RE: OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! - 4/6/2009 9:43:29 PM   
wfzimmerman

It's working for others now.  Pile on!

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> OT -- WWII Quiz -- Steve H., don't read! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI