Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simpleton Tip #1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Simpleton Tip #1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simpleton Tip #1 - 4/19/2002 1:51:48 AM   
Goblin

If you get shot at, seek cover immediately. This means get into or behind something that will block high velocity bits of metal.

Goblin

Post #: 1
Simpleton tip #1A - 4/19/2002 2:20:32 AM   
Capt. Pixel

If you get shot at -
DON'T return fire with that unit.

Seek cover. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 2
- 4/19/2002 2:46:59 AM   
Charles2222

If you get shot at, don't hide, show them your bigger gun and make them hide.

I think this is what you would call the Crocodile Dundee philosophy.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
- 4/19/2002 5:05:54 AM   
JVRyk5

Use scout cars to get shot at. Hide. Show up again. Get shot at, hide, sooner or later your opponents run out of OP-fire and your tanks have no problems sending hail of fire and send them hiding.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
- 4/19/2002 6:15:20 AM   
chief

OP FIRE Comments: I've noticed that when fighting the AI that the (Nasty) AI will temp you to fire Main tank weapons and ATgs etc. at Inf troops and trucks then will move his tanks forward when all you have to fire with is MGs. The AI gets tanks and artillery for his trouble and you get hosed. Forewarned is ForeArmmed.:mad: :eek: :D :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 5
- 4/19/2002 9:51:06 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JVRyk5
[B]Use scout cars to get shot at. Hide. Show up again. Get shot at, hide, sooner or later your opponents run out of OP-fire and your tanks have no problems sending hail of fire and send them hiding. [/B][/QUOTE]

When under the game's control (AI; PBEM) its possible for units to op-fire as long as they have ammo...they can exceed their normal rate of fire. With this 'special op-fire' I've seen some units fire more than 10 times per turn, even when heavily suppressed.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
- 4/19/2002 3:05:15 PM   
Skyfire7631

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chief
[B]OP FIRE Comments: I've noticed that when fighting the AI that the (Nasty) AI will temp you to fire Main tank weapons and ATgs etc. at Inf troops and trucks then will move his tanks forward when all you have to fire with is MGs. The AI gets tanks and artillery for his trouble and you get hosed. Forewarned is ForeArmmed.:mad: :eek: :D :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, I noticed that too : but the question is "is there a workaround for this ?" (sorry if it's a dumb question ;)).

Regards.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 7
- 4/19/2002 4:48:06 PM   
JVRyk5

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]

When under the game's control (AI; PBEM) its possible for units to op-fire as long as they have ammo...they can exceed their normal rate of fire. With this 'special op-fire' I've seen some units fire more than 10 times per turn, even when heavily suppressed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, but it seems to be rare fire, that doesn't happen quite so often as first reqular return fire. Besides, they can fire as often as they want, they can't hit MY scouts. I drive them in laps behind a hill or somewhere out of sight before showing them. Doing 30mph is a good defence.;) BTW: Does OP-fire tip into their special ammo reserves, HEAT or Sabot against armored cars, does computer use them?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
Op fire and the AI - 4/19/2002 6:50:07 PM   
herr1

I seem to remember that special Op fire was introduced to limit players 'using up' AI op fire v's fast or low value targets. The idea is that even when you think that 'all' of the op fire has been used up the AI can still give you the odd surprise.

I have also noted that even when Op fire frequency has been modified I only get two regular op fire opportunities per unit and the AI gets three!

We should also bear in mind other advice from the SPWAW forum to turn off co-axial MG's in tanks to increase the op fire frequncy of the main gun.

Dr Rob H

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
- 4/19/2002 7:24:44 PM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skyfire76
[B]

Yep, I noticed that too : but the question is "is there a workaround for this ?" (sorry if it's a dumb question ;)).

Regards. [/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, overwatch. Usually the special Op fire is only good for four shots.

If shot at pound the H**** out of it with artillery.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
- 4/19/2002 7:33:24 PM   
Skyfire7631

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pbear
[B]
Yes, overwatch. Usually the special Op fire is only good for four shots.

If shot at pound the H**** out of it with artillery. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, so that means there's no clever way to tell your tanks to Op Fire at infantry with guns, and at tanks with your main weapon, I suppose :(

Regards.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 11
- 4/20/2002 3:08:04 AM   
chief

Skyfire: I hit the right mouse button when it request I opfire with heavy (main) weapon and many a time a nearby lighter weapon will be selected to fire at the light (inf, sniper etc.) target allowing my heavier weapon to remain available for Tanks and such when they start to advance. In other words just cause you can take a shot don't always do it, it the AI knows how far away you really are. ;) :) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 12
Re: Op fire and the AI - 4/21/2002 7:29:53 AM   
voyrep

[QUOTE]Originally posted by herr1
[B]
We should also bear in mind other advice from the SPWAW forum to turn off co-axial MG's in tanks to increase the op fire frequncy of the main gun. [/B][/QUOTE]

Really?? I am in doubt...
Can someone please confirm this.

Voyrep

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 13
- 4/23/2002 4:24:19 PM   
Skyfire7631

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chief
[B]Skyfire: I hit the right mouse button when it request I opfire with heavy (main) weapon and many a time a nearby lighter weapon will be selected to fire at the light (inf, sniper etc.) target allowing my heavier weapon to remain available for Tanks and such when they start to advance. In other words just cause you can take a shot don't always do it, it the AI knows how far away you really are. ;) :) :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks chief, I'll try that :)

Regards.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 14
Re: Re: Op fire and the AI - 4/24/2002 1:40:47 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by voyrep
[B]

Really?? I am in doubt...
Can someone please confirm this.

Voyrep [/B][/QUOTE]
Might work, me I just crank the range down. This means that your unit will fire only if the enemy is in range, one exception if your unit is fired on and the unit firing is out side the range you have set, your unit will automaticly reset it range to the range of the unit firing.
Of course you can always turn on Op Fire Confirm which allows you to tell your unit not to fire. But if you don't just say no it will fire.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Simpleton Tip #1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI