Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 1:25:13 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

90 years ago today a treaty was signed that many claims laid the foundation for WWII,
a)what treaty, and
b)were was it signed?
c)What part did the answer for Q b play in WWII?

a) The Versaille treaty of armistice that ended WWI (ans some say, started WWII).
b) Versaille, in a wagon.
c) Hitler wanted to sign the surrender of the French army in June 1940 in the same wagon.

Actually, the armistice was signed at the Compiègne Forest on November 11, 1918. The Treaty of Versailles wasn't signed until June 1919. The Great War didn't officially end until then, which explains why so many memorials have 1914-1919 on them. The French cease fire in 1940 was signed in the same railway carriage.

Incidentally, I think it's interesting that World War One is being called the Great War again.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 781
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 2:03:40 PM   
micheljq

The name of a german commander known to be the only one who did criticize Hitler openly many times, even right up in his face?

Another easy one I guess.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 11/11/2008 3:37:19 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 782
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 3:24:05 PM   
composer99

I know it's OT for a WWII quiz, but who was the last soldier to die in WWI and when?

As for micheljq's last question, I would guess Rommel.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 783
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 3:37:02 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

As for micheljq's last question, I would guess Rommel.

No not Rommel.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 784
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 3:47:56 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

I was thinking of Guderian who wrote a book in 1937 "Achtung Panzer". He was convinced that the armor should be used in formations to break enemy lines followed by motorized infantry to fill and protect the gap opened by the armored forces.

Ouinn too easy!!!

Heinz Guderian had counterparts in England, France, USSR, but it was only in Germany that the blitzkrieg doctrine was taken seriously in the 1930's. Strangely, the british had demonstrate the potential of the armor at the end of WW1.

Q.1 - Who was the counterpart of Guderian in France? Guderian was reading his articles :

Q.2 - Who was the counterpart of Guderian in the USSR?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 785
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 5:13:38 PM   
Beryl

Q1 - De Gaulles
Q2 - Tukachevsky

Beryl

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen!" - Guderian

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 786
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 5:43:36 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beryl

Q1 - De Gaulles
Q2 - Tukachevsky

Beryl

Correct, Toukachevsky was executed in 1936 with thousands of the Red Army's officers during Stalin's purges. Without the purges, operation Barbarossa could have been different.

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 787
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 5:59:49 PM   
micheljq

What is the name of a russian movie produced in 1938 whose action was taking place during an invasion of russia by german armies.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 788
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 7:14:07 PM   
composer99

Alexander Nevsky, I believe. Based on an opera of Russia throwing back an invasion by the Teutonic Knights. Prokofiev was the composer if I am not mistaken.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 789
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 7:32:18 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Alexander Nevsky, I believe. Based on an opera of Russia throwing back an invasion by the Teutonic Knights. Prokofiev was the composer if I am not mistaken.

correct.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 790
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 8:05:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

The name of a german commander known to be the only one who did criticize Hitler openly many times, even right up in his face?

von Manstein.

..or... maybe it was Froonp?

-Orm

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 791
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 8:49:41 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

von Manstein.

-Orm

Wrong.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 792
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 8:55:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Walter Von Reichenau

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 793
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 9:05:15 PM   
warspite1

Which Field Marshal was in charge during the worst single disaster suffered by the German Army?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 794
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 9:22:17 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Walter Von Reichenau

I don't know that commander I am speaking of another. What did Von Reichenau?

< Message edited by micheljq -- 11/11/2008 9:23:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 795
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 9:32:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Walter Von Reichenau

I don't know that commander I am speaking of another. What did Von Reichenau?

Warspite1

Reichenau is one of the more interesting Field Marshals. He was a liked by Hitler initially, though the outspoken views of Reichenau - especially to Hitlers face - turned the relationship sour. Reichenau was openly critical of many of Hitlers policies - the idea of attacking France in the winter of 39/40, the Italian alliance, the invasion of the Soviet Union and Hitlers refusal initially to employ Ukrainians and others to fight Stalin were never going to make for a lasting friendship.....Reichenau solved the looming problem by dying in early 1942.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 796
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 9:53:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Which Field Marshal was in charge during the worst single disaster suffered by the German Army?

and another

Which was the only Royal Navy ship fitted with 5-inch main armament? and why?

and another

What was the first Royal Canadian destroyer lost in WWII? How did she meet her end?

and finally

Which French battleship served with the British Eastern/East Indies Fleet in WWII?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 797
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 10:08:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beryl

Q1 - De Gaulles
Q2 - Tukachevsky

Beryl

Correct, Toukachevsky was executed in 1936 with thousands of the Red Army's officers during Stalin's purges. Without the purges, operation Barbarossa could have been different.

Warspite1

Maybe. Or an extreme scenario is that Barbarossa would not have happened. One of the things that convinced Hitler to fight the Russians in 1941 was the Red Army`s pathetic showing against the Finns. If that had been better orchestrated and executed maybe Hitler would have got cold feet? Unlikely - but another of WWII`s interesting what ifs?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 798
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 10:39:56 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I guess I would go with Paulus at Stalingrad, though there were a lot of other disasters after that. Or are you looking for something from ~1803?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 799
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/11/2008 10:58:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

von Manstein.

-Orm

Wrong.

Then it might have been more than one. According to my sources he argued with Hitler to his face.

Cut from wikipedia -
"Von Manstein continued to argue with Hitler about overall strategy on the Eastern Front. Von Manstein advocated an elastic, mobile defense. He was prepared to cede territory, attempting to make the Soviet forces either stretch out too thinly or to make them advance too fast so that they could be attacked on the flanks with the goal of encircling them. Hitler ignored Manstein's advice and continued to insist on static warfare. Because of these frequent disagreements, von Manstein publicly advocated that Hitler relinquish control and leave the management of the war to professionals, starting with the establishment of the position of commander-in-chief in the East (Oberbefehlshaber Ost). Hitler, however, rejected this idea numerous times, fearing that it would weaken his hold on power.

This argument also alarmed some of Hitler's closest henchmen, such as Göring and the SS chief Himmler, who were not prepared to give up any of their powers. Himmler started to question von Manstein's loyalty openly and insinuated that he was a defeatist unsuitable to command troops. Von Manstein's frequent arguing combined with these allegations resulted in Hitler relieving von Manstein of his command in March 1944. Instead, on April 2, 1944, Hitler appointed Walther Model, a firm supporter, as commander of Army Group South. Nevertheless, von Manstein received the Swords for his Knight's Cross, the second highest German military honour."

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 800
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 12:35:25 AM   
terje439

quote:

What was the first Royal Canadian destroyer lost in WWII? How did she meet her end?

Was it the Fraser, which was rammed by another vessel(CLAA??) during the evacuation from Dunkirk?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 801
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 1:21:47 AM   
Neilster

Guderian often challenged Hitler too.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 802
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 2:51:03 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

I forget if the man in charge of 6th army in Stalingrad was Paulus or von Paulus, but I think he is the one you are looking for.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 803
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 7:06:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I guess I would go with Paulus at Stalingrad, though there were a lot of other disasters after that. Or are you looking for something from ~1803?

Warspite1

No it was not Paulus. I think you meant 1806 (Jena Auerstadt) - but no this is a WWII question.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/12/2008 7:16:58 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 804
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 7:09:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Was it the Fraser, which was rammed by another vessel(CLAA??) during the evacuation from Dunkirk?

Warspite1

It was HMCS Fraser - she collided with HMS Calcutta off the West coast of France not Dunkirk. You can have half a point.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 805
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 7:11:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

quote:

I forget if the man in charge of 6th army in Stalingrad was Paulus or von Paulus, but I think he is the one you are looking for.

Warspite1

His name was Friedrich Paulus (no Von) - but Stalingrad - contrary to popular belief - was not the biggest disaster the German suffered.

Clue: It was on the Eastern Front.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/12/2008 7:16:37 AM >

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 806
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 7:39:35 AM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

quote:

Warspite1

His name was Friedrich Paulus (no Von) - but Stalingrad - contrary to popular belief - was not the biggest disaster the German suffered.

Clue: It was on the Eastern Front.

The Collapse of Army Group Centre, beginning on June 22nd 1944. It was due to the Soviet Operation Bagration, which eventually petered out several months later after massive gains and vast encirclements of German forces. It was a strategic surprise and Hitler's meddling and "no retreat" orders didn't help.

I think Busch was in charge at the beginning but from in memory he was replaced pretty early on by Model. I read a book on this operation a couple of years ago. Some of the stories are completely amazing. Some bands of German soldiers managed to infiltrate back to their lines after epic marches, having evaded the Russians for many weeks.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 807
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 7:55:07 AM   
Twotribes

Stalin conducted the Purges because he rightly feared his Generals. No purges and Stalin probably wouldn't have been alive or in charge in the Summer of 1941. The Soviet Citizenry believe that no Stalin and the war would have been lost in the first 6 months.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 808
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 10:39:29 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

It was HMCS Fraser - she collided with HMS Calcutta off the West coast of France not Dunkirk. You can have half a point.

Since fractions are rounded up in MWiF that means one point

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 809
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/12/2008 11:25:48 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Stalin conducted the Purges because he rightly feared his Generals. No purges and Stalin probably wouldn't have been alive or in charge in the Summer of 1941. The Soviet Citizenry believe that no Stalin and the war would have been lost in the first 6 months.

It was my understanding that there was no military plot to overthrow Stalin and I checked wikipedia to see what it said on the subject.

Cut from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_of_Trotskyist_Anti-Soviet_Military_Organization
"Another suggestion is that Tukhachevsky and others did indeed try to conspire against Stalin. Leon Trotsky in his later works argued that while it was impossible to speak conclusively about the plot, he saw indications in Stalin's mania for involvement in every detail of Red Army organization and logistics that the military had real reasons for dissent, motives which may have eventually led to a plot. However, the revelations of Stalin's actions following the release of Soviet archival information have now largely discredited this theory. While the military may well have had many secret reasons for their dislike of Stalin, there is now no credible evidence that any of them ever conspired to eliminate him."

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Purge

-Orm

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI