Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interested in any reviews

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Interested in any reviews Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interested in any reviews - 11/11/2008 8:44:28 PM   
thegreatwent

This game looks good, any polite comments on gameplay or reviews may tip my decision. Please enlighten me.

Post #: 1
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/12/2008 7:30:33 AM   
aknaton

As seen on the Ageod forums this game has some "issues". But I am confident that in a month or two it will be a great game. I personally will wait until after Christmas before I buy it.

/aknaton

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 2
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/12/2008 2:44:40 PM   
elmo3

I'd love to see a good WWI design succeed.  Will also wait for some professional reviews before deciding on this title.  It's unfortunate first impressions from some buyers are not great.  But as the saying goes; you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

(in reply to aknaton)
Post #: 3
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/12/2008 4:27:27 PM   
GShock

You'll have to wait very long for professional reviews. The learning curve for AGEod games is very steep.

Its complexity needs months and months of long study and lots of experience before you really make the pieces do what you want them to do.
You could have a report on the "feel" of the game, but not on how worth it really is, not before at least a 6-month intensive period.

But of course that depends on what you mean by "professional review".  

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/12/2008 4:43:05 PM   
elmo3

I meant a review from someone like Jim Cobb @ The Wargamer or Armchair General.  Many companies give copies to reviewers prior to release so they can have reviews available soon after a game ships.  No idea if AGEOD did that or not.  If it takes 6 months then so be it.  Alternatively if the forum posters were glowing in their praise that might push me off the fence, but so far that is not happening.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 5
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/12/2008 6:01:01 PM   
Hanal

I was thinking about doing an AAR similiar to the one I did for Guns of August but this is an entirely different beast.....I think it has great potential but there is no way I am comfortable enough with the gameplay to do it any justice at this time....

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 8:57:11 AM   
DBeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

This game looks good, any polite comments on gameplay or reviews may tip my decision. Please enlighten me.

I think the statement from the company itself offering a refund is review enough in itself.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 7
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 11:23:12 AM   
Krasny

This game looks like a frikkin bijou disasterette.

Alarm bells started ringing when I heard it was based on the great invasions engine. Another game that's a frikkin bijou disasterette.

And I'm too late to cancel my order from Amazon.

Alarm bells started ringing when I heard it was based on the Great Invasions engine. Another game that's a frikkin bijou disaterette.

AGEOD released this shoddy game on purpose. Screw them.

Matrix should offer a refund to all people who bought it at their site.

< Message edited by Krasny -- 11/14/2008 1:35:11 PM >

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 8
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 11:49:24 AM   
Joram

Tell us how you really feel why don't you.  ;)

I too am interested in a good review.  In many years of gaming I've never really gotten into WWI and am interested in seeing how this one turns out.  Once all the issues are fixed of course.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 9
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 1:50:19 PM   
Krasny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I too am interested in a good review.  In many years of gaming I've never really gotten into WWI and am interested in seeing how this one turns out.  Once all the issues are fixed of course.

Jor

I think my response was a measured one, given the fact that AGEOD are offering a refund. Which I believe is somthing unique in the history of computer games.

It is the publisher, AGEOD that deserve the condemnation for this, not the developer. AGEOD CHOSE to release the game in a parless state.

I just got my copy in the post. Luckily I only spent £17 on it, including postage, and I haven't got the willpower to try and get a refund off Amazon.

Why was this game released? It seems AGEOD's marketing department outranks anybody who actually played the game.

And before you dismiss my remarks are the baseless wibblings of someone who hasen't actually played the game, please note:

THE GAME IS SO BROKEN, AGEOD ARE OFFERING A REFUND!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 2:03:17 PM   
Joram

Krasny I was amused by your response but in no way dismissed it or begrudge you your opinion.

Cheers,
J

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 11
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/14/2008 2:41:31 PM   
Arsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

THE GAME IS SO BROKEN, AGEOD ARE OFFERING A REFUND!

I would read the issue a little different than you (you know, the glass is half full, half empty... or broken it deepens of how you want to see it).
Instead of you apocalyptic views (funny to see how you are screaming around before even installing the damned game!) it could also be put like this:

The game has problems as dozens of games have on release version. But ONLY AGEOD has the decency to offer a refund for those who don’t want to wait for the patches to solve them.

Sounds a little different, don’t you think?

Instead of looking to other side and maybe issuing a patch or two some months after the release and then forgetting completely about the game, AGEOD has compromised to solve the issues as thoroughly and fast as we are accustomed to with them… AND in addition, has gone so far in their support politics as to offer a refund if you don’t want to wait.

For me the refund offer does not mean the games is more broken than many others. It means that the company has more decency than many others, acknowledge his errors and offer the alternative to stick around and see them fixed eventually or jump out of the boat.
You choose

Regards

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 12
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 12:38:37 PM   
Krasny

For me the glass half full attitude is way too Pollyannaish, and the refuge of the fanboi.

Not only is the glass half empty, it is cracked and caked around the rim. To paraphrase Leonard Cohen.

To be fair to AGEOD, they are doing the honourable thing. Nuff respec. To quote a certain Queen Mother. I'm sure any other company would hide behind weasel words, promise patches and point out that 'caveat emptor' is latin for 'screw you.'

But it doesn't excuse Ageod from the crass error of judgement in releasing the game. It is stupid in every respect. They will sell fewer games becuase of it, and AGEOD have lost a lot of trust and good will. I own all their wargames, but I'm certainly going to look upon future releases sceptically.

Well now I have had the benefit of actually playing the game, well I managed to get part way through Tutorial 2 before the seeming impossibility of merging units and a freeze crash sapped my morale.

My observations based on this limited exposure to the game:

1. The map orientation is an esthetic abomination. Seriously what manner of wuckfittery caused this thing to come to pass?

Designer: We're going to save a bit of memory if we have North to the left.

Publisher: Sounds good, we don't want to sell any copies of this game anyway.

2. Merging units is impossible. Seriously. I followed the instructions in the tutorial for about half an hour before giving up. It transpires from the AGEOD forum that you have to be pixel perfect.

Designer: We're going to make a simple game mechanic and major feat of dexterity to perform.

Publisher: Sounds good, we want our few customers to be pissed off from the get go.

The only thing that adds a little levity to this game thus far, are the tutorial translations. They made be chuckle and helped stave off the gloom.

< Message edited by Krasny -- 11/15/2008 5:50:30 PM >

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 13
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 3:06:59 PM   
LarryP

quote:

For me the glass half full attitude is way too Pollyannaish, and the refuge of the fanboi.

Not only is the glass half empty, it is cracked and caked around the rim. To paraphrase Leonard Cohen.

To be fair to AGEOD, they are doing the honourable thing. Nuff respec. To quote a certain Queen Mother. I'm sure any other company would hide being weasel words, promise patches and point out that 'caveat emptor' is latin for 'screw you.'

1. The map orientation is an esthetic abomination. Seriously what manner of wuckfittery caused this thing to come to pass?

2. Merging units is impossible. Seriously. I followed the instructions in the tutorial for about half an hour before giving up. It transpires from the AGEOD forum that you have to be pixel perfect.

Designer: We're going to make a simple game mechanic and major feat of dexterity to perform.

Publisher: Sounds good, we want our few customers to be pissed off from the get go.

The only thing that adds a little levity to this game thus far, are the tutorial translations. They made be chuckle and helped stave off the gloom.

Your post gave me a good laugh. Thank you! I know these are serious issues but there is some good humor here.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 14
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 5:49:26 PM   
Krasny

Never mind, it will be fixed by Christmas!

More humour for you

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 15
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 7:15:51 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

To be fair to AGEOD, they are doing the honourable thing. Nuff respec. To quote a certain Queen Mother. I'm sure any other company would hide being weasel words, promise patches and point out that 'caveat emptor' is latin for 'screw you.'

Your post gave me a good laugh. Thank you! I know these are serious issues but there is some good humor here.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 8:43:32 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

Not everyone seems to have faith that the biggest problems will be fixed soon. I am keeping the faith-for now.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 17
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 8:52:38 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

My eyes started to tear up.

On an upbeat note, I did see something at Ageod about them possibly remaking the map to something more, shall we say, "normal".

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 18
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 9:27:12 PM   
Krasny

Update: Still working through Tutorial 2. Along side the problem of merging, is the problem of moving, I find it takes me several attempts to achieve a move because when I try to drag a unit, that unit deselects.

Now I know I'm a clumsy old man, with the hand-eye coordination of a corpse, but all other strategy games give me no problems.

I have abandoned Tutorial 2 because of mouse freezing problem on the strategy screen.

BTW Thanks for the apprecation of my humourous critisism.

Wait for the patch I guess.

< Message edited by Krasny -- 11/15/2008 9:30:12 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 19
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 9:41:12 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Alarm bells started ringing when I heard it was based on the great invasions engine. Another game that's a frikkin bijou disasterette.

I too saw the similarities of WW1 and GI, but was not too concerned about it. It is true that GI had some issues; tutorials were outdated/non functioning, rules manual not the best, and the UI issues. It was difficult to learn, but turned out to be a good game (using the JMass Mod).
I had expected WW1 to be somewhat better in its initial release-apparently it is not. I am one of those unlucky enough to have a CPU the game does not like. The patch to correct this should be out on Monday, so I am still not in a tizzy over this.

We should keep in mind that many are apparently able to play the game without any serious problems-luck of the draw. This is not to say that there are a few interface situations that should not be corrected along with the required hardware fixes.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 11/15/2008 11:31:47 PM >

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 20
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 10:23:21 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

And I'm too late to cancel my order from Amazon.

Alarm bells started ringing when I heard it was based on the Great Invasions engine. Another game that's a frikkin bijou disaterette.

AGEOD released this shoddy game on purpose. Screw them.

Matrix should offer a refund to all people who bought it at their site.

Hmm, not sure they released this "thing " on purpose...I dont think they want to help speed up Europe's recession

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 21
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 10:46:58 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker
Hmm, not sure they released this "thing " on purpose...I dont think they want to help speed up Europe's recession

I agree. At a risk of sounding supportive of lazy software developers, there are a huge amount of different hardware and software configurations. For a smallish company to try to make a system perfectly compatible before release must be a near impossible task.
For the few small game company's that do accomplish this feat (or come very close to it) certainly deserve a huge amount of respect from us.
However, how in the hell did they not test an AMD Athlon 3500-its not that old.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 22
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/15/2008 11:00:08 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

Never mind, it will be fixed by Christmas!

More humour for you

I got it!

I really like your sense of humour

I do see with the glass half empty analogy though. WW1 was a lot of trench warefare where nothing happened. Game simulates it well

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 23
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 1:19:31 AM   
wheelsboy

As an addict of the board game version of La Grande Guerre (which is, by far, the best and most comprehensive WWI board game available), I can say that the computer game appears, so far, to be a very faithful (almost identical) treatment of the original board game.  The main difference being the area-based map, which is hex-based in the LGG board game.  That said, LGG is an acquired taste.  It is not an "action" game at all.  There are entire seasons where little combat takes place at all, but when lots is going on in diplomacy, politics, and the economic/production side of the game.  This is World War I, not WWII, so the action is slower, and success is often based on patient build up of supplies (RP/Mun), improved technologies, events, and improved tactics as the game goes on.  On balance, once some obvious interface and stability bugs are addressed, I think this will be a great game.  That said, I share the frustration of many with some of the clearly stupid bugs in the original release.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 24
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 1:30:38 AM   
Moltke71

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

I meant a review from someone like Jim Cobb @ The Wargamer or Armchair General.  Many companies give copies to reviewers prior to release so they can have reviews available soon after a game ships.  No idea if AGEOD did that or not.  If it takes 6 months then so be it.  Alternatively if the forum posters were glowing in their praise that might push me off the fence, but so far that is not happening.

I'll be doing a review but will wait for the patch. Anyway, the holidays mean I'm hip deep in reviews.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 25
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 1:46:14 AM   
elmo3

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the game Bismarck.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 26
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 9:30:21 AM   
Primasprit

A patch is planned for monday. It should solve the stability problems which occur with certain hardware and fix reported gameplay bugs.

AGEOD Dev. Team

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 27
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 9:51:04 AM   
GShock

I just can't understand why AGEod entrusted this project to a third-party developer and on a new engine instead of using AGE which is the most brilliant engine for this abstraction level with the skilled hands of Pocus and the newcomer Hok, who's already proven his worth on WiA.

It's a question that truly pains me...I don't doubt that WW1 will arrive to a very high quality game in due time, as i said, i am positive about it but perhaps the release was premature given these starting considerations. This premise was a good enough reason to take this as an opportunity to change a certain development method that in the past has already given less than satisfying results in the very first days after a release...which are the most important ones for sales.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Primasprit)
Post #: 28
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 10:15:15 AM   
Venator

quote:

I just can't understand why AGEod entrusted this project to a third-party developer and on a new engine instead of using AGE which is the most brilliant engine for this abstraction level with the skilled hands of Pocus and the newcomer Hok, who's already proven his worth on WiA.

Quite.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 29
RE: Interested in any reviews - 11/16/2008 11:27:55 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: GShock

I just can't understand why AGEod entrusted this project to a third-party developer and on a new engine ...

They are the publisher in this case, just like Matrix publishes lots of games they don't design or develop. And the engine is not new, it's the same one used for Great Invasions according to AGEOD.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 11/16/2008 11:28:22 AM >

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Interested in any reviews Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI