Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

interest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> interest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
interest? - 11/13/2008 4:51:36 AM   
spadman

Is there still interest in this game? A year ago I bought this game and after trying it I realized I was going to need some more time to figure it out. I have a little more time to give to it now and was wondering if I figure it out is there still an active group to play against. I am not a big fan of playing against AI's as playing against people is what I find truly exciting.
Thanks for any answers.
Mike
Post #: 1
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 7:49:24 AM   
fuelli

Welcome aboard!
I´m sure you will find PBEM opponents with out any problem!

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 2
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 9:35:32 AM   
xj900uk

Hi there Spadman

Yeah, there's a good deal of interest still in this game.
Playing against the AI is OK but it gets a bit predicatable after a time
If you ever want a PBEM opponent, just advertise on the appropriate part of the Forums

(in reply to fuelli)
Post #: 3
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 12:56:20 PM   
borner

There seems to have been an increase in people in the forums in recent months. I agree that when you are ready for a game, you should have no problem finding a player.

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 4
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 4:05:07 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Is there still interest in this game? A year ago I bought this game and after trying it I realized I was going to need some more time to figure it out. I have a little more time to give to it now and was wondering if I figure it out is there still an active group to play against. I am not a big fan of playing against AI's as playing against people is what I find truly exciting.
Thanks for any answers.
Mike

Yes there is interest. Look in the AAR section.

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 5
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 8:02:14 PM   
tocaff

The interest in UV seems to ebb & flow.  The old vets seem migrate to WITP eventually as they look for something more and then there's always an influx of new blood to keep things going.  Considering that the game was released in 2002 it's done rather well.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 6
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 10:23:22 PM   
bigbaba

agree todd. for such a old game, Uv is doing well. i have 3 PBEm games running at the moment and must say, that i got more for my bucks when playing Uv then in most of the other games.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 7
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 11:27:59 PM   
Ike99

quote:

The interest in UV seems to ebb & flow. The old vets seem migrate to WITP eventually as they look for something more and then there's always an influx of new blood to keep things going. Considering that the game was released in 2002 it's done rather well.

I´m not sure how many people are going to be around for WITP AE though. To take WITP at 60 miles per hex and change it to 30 miles per hex seems like insanity to me.

As enormous as WITP map is and then to DOUBLE that! Take all the division units and break them up into the regiments and support troops...the grand campaign will be unplayable for all but a very, very, few.

That´s too much.

Hopefully it will have the UV scenarios included. That alone will make it worth the purchase.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 8
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 11:50:29 PM   
Nomad

Well, the hex size will only be 40 miles per hex. But, if you change the hex size from 60 to 30 you do not double the map size, you quadruple it.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 9
RE: interest? - 11/13/2008 11:52:08 PM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

quote:

The interest in UV seems to ebb & flow. The old vets seem migrate to WITP eventually as they look for something more and then there's always an influx of new blood to keep things going. Considering that the game was released in 2002 it's done rather well.

I´m not sure how many people are going to be around for WITP AE though. To take WITP at 60 miles per hex and change it to 30 miles per hex seems like insanity to me.

As enormous as WITP map is and then to DOUBLE that! Take all the division units and break them up into the regiments and support troops...the grand campaign will be unplayable for all but a very, very, few.

That´s too much.

Hopefully it will have the UV scenarios included. That alone will make it worth the purchase.

I agree. All Matrix really needed to do with WITP was sort out the obvious problems once and for all, instead they are going to add on 200 types of ship damage and 10000 ship types that no one gives a toss about.

The reason for the delay in releasing it is AI problems. The greatest programmer in the world could not make a workable AI that has to to consider a million variables each turn.

Why not just get the basics right and release it as a PBEM only game???

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 10
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 12:41:28 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Well, the hex size will only be 40 miles per hex. But, if you change the hex size from 60 to 30 you do not double the map size, you quadruple it.

OK, 40 miles per hex. Still, that´s insane. It should have many, many, many theatre scenarios or forget it.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 11
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 12:44:43 AM   
Ike99

quote:

But, if you change the hex size from 60 to 30 you do not double the map size, you quadruple it.

Nonsense to make a game so huge.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 12
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 12:57:10 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Why not just get the basics right and release it as a PBEM only game???

The only people who will be able to play the grand campaign because of time is people retired and half of them would be dead first before they could complete the entire campaign.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 13
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 2:36:11 AM   
borner

There will be another game out there now that is not "quite" as good as it can be? Imagine that.  As for the map in WiTP, I guess if you have  42" TV you can hook your computer up to it will be more workable. Guess that leaves me out

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 14
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 2:53:52 AM   
Ike99

quote:

There will be another game out there now that is not "quite" as good as it can be? Imagine that. As for the map in WiTP, I guess if you have 42" TV you can hook your computer up to it will be more workable. Guess that leaves me out

Forty seconds to scroll from one side of the map to the other!!

On a laptop, forget it!

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 11/14/2008 2:56:47 AM >

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 15
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 6:20:48 AM   
spadman

Wow, I am really surprised at the amount of people still in this game. This must also be a testament to how fun the game is. I am working through the manual and tutorial once again and will let you all know once I am ready for a PBEM game.
BTW, I would doubt I would move on to WITP as this is probably as deep as I care to go in a "game". I hear you have to get your doctorate in wargaming to get into that game.
Thanks for all the replies.
Spadman

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 16
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 1:42:21 PM   
borner

I guess it's a choice 5-6 UV games going with time left over, or 1 WiTP  

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 17
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 2:06:33 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

I guess it's a choice 5-6 UV games going with time left over, or 1 WiTP  

Not really. I have 3 UV PBEM games going and still find time to keep a solitaire learning game of WitP going, although not with a rate of progress that would be expected of a PBEM committment.

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 18
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 2:21:36 PM   
bigbaba

quote:

quote:

But, if you change the hex size from 60 to 30 you do not double the map size, you quadruple it.

agree, ike. thats why imho most of the WITP players will still play their PBEM games with WITP instead of AE. AE is simply too big and too complicated.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 19
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 3:17:21 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

quote:

quote:

agree, ike. thats why imho most of the WITP players will still play their PBEM games with WITP instead of AE. AE is simply too big and too complicated.

I disagree. Personally, I can't wait for AE to come out. 3 of my 4 WITP PBEM opponents have already agreed that once AE comes out we are going to restart a game with AE. The WITP games we are dropping are games that we already have 3-4 years invested in. The joy for us isn't getting to the destination (end of the game), it is the trip to get there.

The way I see it is that my opponents and I average about 3-5 turns a week. That means that WITP will take us about 12 years to complete. With AE, the turns may take a little longer to do, but the turn around rate should stay pretty much the same....therefore, AE will take just as long to complete as WITP.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 20
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 3:57:56 PM   
Ike99

quote:

I disagree. Personally, I can't wait for AE to come out. 3 of my 4 WITP PBEM opponents have already agreed that once AE comes out we are going to restart a game with AE. The WITP games we are dropping are games that we already have 3-4 years invested in. The joy for us isn't getting to the destination (end of the game), it is the trip to get there.

I do not understand the logic of playing a game you´ll never complete. It is good there is you and others who will enjoy WITP AE grand campaign but, I´m thinking that´s not average player.

Bigger is not always better. One could make a WITP game and break it all the down to how many rivets you need to move for repair a ship at Iwo Jima and how many bolts you need for a P38 engine.

Would that type of detail make a game better? In my opinion, no. It wouldn´t even make for a good game for me personally.

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 21
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 4:46:00 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

I do not understand the logic of playing a game you´ll never complete.

The enjoyment of the journey. Sure, it would be nice to finish the game eventually. I'm only pushing 50, so I hope I'm around long enough to finish it....if I'm not, it won't matter. If my opponent doesn't live to finish it....well, that could be a disappointment.

quote:

Bigger is not always better. One could make a WITP game and break it all the down to how many rivets you need to move for repair a ship at Iwo Jima and how many bolts you need for a P38 engine.

Would that type of detail make a game better? In my opinion, no. It wouldn´t even make for a good game for me personally.

Well, AE doesn't quite go that far and I wouldn't want it to either. The scale change is the biggest, but that really shouldn't make that much of a difference. It will be the number of units you have to micromanage that will be the time consumer. However, it is my understanding that even though the number of units may have increased they have fixed and added a number of things that will help in the micro-management. So it is possible that even though there is more to do, the added "tools" (i.e patrol zones...sorting buttons) may actually decrease the time needed.

It has been my experience with WITP that the time spent doing turns is high in the beginning of the game, but once you have things where you want them you can focus on specific areas and not worry about the "small things" which decrease the time spent on a turn. In one of my PBEM games (me=Japan) after I watch the combat, I just take care of a few "house-cleaning" details and sent the turn back to my opponent.....total time spent on a turn....< 10 minutes. About every 5th turn, I will do a more detail inventory of my situation.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 22
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 5:02:57 PM   
Ike99

quote:

It has been my experience with WITP that the time spent doing turns is high in the beginning of the game, but once you have things where you want them you can focus on specific areas and not worry about the "small things" which decrease the time spent on a turn.

No doubt. The first turn of Japan is a 2-3 day setup.

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 23
RE: interest? - 11/14/2008 5:19:46 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

quote:

It has been my experience with WITP that the time spent doing turns is high in the beginning of the game, but once you have things where you want them you can focus on specific areas and not worry about the "small things" which decrease the time spent on a turn.

No doubt. The first turn of Japan is a 2-3 day setup.

I've played enough that I can do it in about 8 hours now.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> interest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI