Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Major Problem:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Tech Support >> Major Problem: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 10:37:23 AM   
Sfox28

OK, how do I best explain this? Purchased WAR the day it came out and got the download and physical. Installed the download version on my computer plus patch and after I came out of the game itself I got a message "Unable to read one or more registry entries please re-install Close Combat". Well, I forgot about that error message and continued playing a campaign 5 days into it. I got a couple of drop out fades to a black screen but continued. (The game was basically playing well however) My computer then blew up on me (not sure if it was the game or what) and I went out and got a brand new computer. Specs...AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core. Each core operates at 2.20GHz with 4x512KB L2 cache and 3600MHz HT 8 GB DDR2 Memory with a ATI Radeon HD 3200 Video card and a 750 GB Hard Drive. A 15-in-1 Digital Memory card Reader. In other words a very high end computer. I installed the download version of WAR plus the patch into the new computer and after I went into the game and came back out again, I got the same error message "Unable to read one or more registry entries, please re-install Close Combat" Well, needless to say...I decided not to play into any game or campaign until I find out what is going on with my WAR installation! I don't want to get any screw-up's on this new computer. I have not received the physical shipment yet and really would like to find out what maybe going on before I proceed with my most favorite game...all the close combat games! I've been playing CC games since the first one came out in the '90's! I could use some serious help here gang! Any ideas or answers?

Mahalo,
Sfox28
Post #: 1
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 5:41:56 PM   
Tejszd

You didn't state what OS you are using?

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 2
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 7:11:48 PM   
Andrew Williams

Did you re-install CC like the message said?

quote:

"Unable to read one or more registry entries please re-install Close Combat"

< Message edited by Andrew Williams -- 11/16/2008 7:12:55 PM >

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 3
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 7:56:11 PM   
Sfox28

Sorry, the system is VIsta the newest one.  I am going to try to re-install it...after I break through all the crap needed to un-install it!  But it's a fresh install to a new computer from a clean?????? download...with patch!  Whatever!

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 4
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 8:36:54 PM   
Sfox28

OK, just un-&-re-installed the game and patch (now the 2nd time on this computer) and when I went out of the game....I got the same message "unable to read one or more registry entries please re-install Close Combat". Not sure how to continue, because of what happened on my old computer. Remember, there (old computer), I came up with a couple of black screen error, fade out of the game, messages that I was not sure helped my old computer screw up. Love this game (favorite of all time) but not sure how to move forward. Should I wait till I get my physical copy to try another new install from that? Or should I just continue with a campaign and see if I get any, pop out of the game, black screen error messages? Got any ideas on this guys?

Mahalo, for any help

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 5
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 8:45:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

A few questions:

1. Did you turn off any anti-virus/security software before installing?
2. Are you installing/running with an Administrator account?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 6
RE: Major Problem: - 11/16/2008 9:40:29 PM   
Sfox28

AVG security...never had a problem with it before or with any other games.  Administrator account?  Not sure what that is, and if I'm not sure what it is, I'm pretty sure I'm not running it with it?  It's the same message I had on XP OS on my former computer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Major Problem: - 11/17/2008 2:09:58 PM   
Greg Wilcox

What are you using for a firewall? Sometimes that blocks the registry entries from being created.

-Greg

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 8
RE: Major Problem: - 11/17/2008 4:36:54 PM   
NefariousKoel

Sfox -

Right click on the shortcut to the game, click Properties, under the Shortcut tab click the Advanced button,  click on the Run as Administrator box and make sure it is checked.  Click OK.

I do that with all my games in Vista.  Sometimes it's not needed, but sometimes it is so do it just to be sure.

Also, it's not a bad idea going into the Compatibility tab there and checking Disable Desktop Composition if you're using the flashy Aero in Vista.  That'll automatically turn off Aero when you start something from that shortcut and turn it back on when you exit.

Note: I think AVG has an optional rootkit detector but that should've popped up large amounts of ok/cancel windows when you install anything (and the registry is modified).

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 11/17/2008 4:38:32 PM >

(in reply to Greg Wilcox)
Post #: 9
RE: Major Problem: - 11/17/2008 10:11:38 PM   
Sfox28

Thanx Nefarious...I'll try both of these things and see if that may change the registry problem.  Should I re-install again...although, it seems redundant!

Mahalo, again.....

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 10
RE: Major Problem: - 11/18/2008 8:48:18 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sfox28

Thanx Nefarious...I'll try both of these things and see if that may change the registry problem.  Should I re-install again...although, it seems redundant!

Mahalo, again.....

Just to be sure, when you next reinstall, right click on the installer program and select "Run as Administrator". I doubt that will change anything but worth a shot.

The other stuff is just something you want to do with all your games in Vista since the occasional one will have an issue if you don't.

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Tech Support >> Major Problem: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI