Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/18/2008 11:04:12 PM   
gwgardner

I was just reading in Weinberg, in A World At Arms that immediately after the armistice with France, the Germans began preparations for taking out Switzerland. First I read about that. Anyway, since the 10 PPs in Zurich looked enticing, I decided to carry out the operation. Hasn't gone too well so far, as I had already transferred two air armies to Sweden for an invasion of Norway. My remaining air army has taken some heavy losses striking the Swiss corps in Lauzanne (66 PPs losses), with nary a dent in the Swiss defense, thus making a ground assault unfeasible as yet. The Italians have moved up from the southeast, but are unlikely to make much of a dent either, being more interested in a Greek adventure.
Post #: 1
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 2:24:33 AM   
cpdeyoung

Very cool, I have never even thought of trying it. They seem a tough nut. I have read speculation that currently they may have tactical nuclear weapons. What kind of ground stength do you have?

Chuck

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 8:25:53 AM   
doomtrader

AFAIK Switzerland is the only country in Europe able to field over 1 milion soldiers army in one week.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 2:48:42 PM   
gwgardner

All level 2:  2 infantry corps and 2 divisions at Zurich
               1 infantry division screening the three Swiss divisions between Zurich and Lausanne
               1 infantry corps in contact at Lausanne, 1 mech corps and a couple of infantry divisions available, will maneuver the infantry into the mountains

A couple of Italian divisions at the southern passes.

I had thought to hammer the defenses in both cities from the air, to reduce them and then waltz in with an infantry punch, but on the Swiss turn they have so far been able to reinforce back up to full strength.  I will now wait till the other two air armies currently in Sweden can be brought back down after the Norway invasion, before resuming the attack.  This 10 PP in Zurich is going to cost me.

It seems to me that the air defenses of the Swiss cities and forces are much more powerful than the Polish or French, but I have found nothing in the manual or tooltips (when hovering the cursor over the Swiss cities) that would explain that.  Perhaps just the luck of the die roll?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 4
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 3:40:39 PM   
cpdeyoung

The rebuilding of the unit, before you can exploit the losses, is one of the things that makes me always seek a seige. I was interested to find a rule that a unit never retreats from a city. This can make any non seige city battle really tough. With a seige, supported by air, you can hope to wear the enemy down.

I am going to have to take on the Swiss, just to see.

I am also ordering "A World at Arms" which I was not familiar with. Thanks for the pointer. I mentioned one I enjoyed "Hitler and the Middle Sea" by Walter Ansel, and while I was ordering a copy for myself I saw another by him, "Hitler Confronts England" which I ordered also. HatMS made me grab "Third Reich" and try some of his ideas out.

Chuck

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 5
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 5:31:45 PM   
gwgardner

So a siege is defined as surrounding a city?  I didn't find anyting on sieges in the manual.

Weinberg, in A World at Arms, offers info I've never found in other books on the war, like details on negotiations, war plans, treaties, incidents, etc. that get glossed over normally.  Examples: details on the Poland partition agreement between Germany and the USSR, and the way the ultimate partition was affected by circumstances; an acount of a German raider ship that the USSR helped on its way on the northern route around the USSR, for raiding in the North Pacific;  what was going on in Italian-controlled Ethiopia while Rommel was dashing across the desert.  Lots of stuff like that.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 6
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 7:23:40 PM   
James Ward

To seige a city you must occupy all adjacent land hexes.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 7
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/19/2008 9:44:50 PM   
Severian

Siege has been added later :)

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 8
RE: Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree - 11/27/2008 11:28:59 AM   
Samichlaus

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I was just reading in Weinberg, in A World At Arms that immediately after the armistice with France, the Germans began preparations for taking out Switzerland.

For an indepth view on this view this link (in english): http://www.schweiz1940.ch/tannen40-en/
A site with lot of information on operation "Tannenbaum" = x-mas tree. The germans developed around 5 battle plans for the invasion of Switzerland in 1940. They were never carried out for several reasons, one being that they needed the divisions for the intended invasion of England (sea lion).
Samichlaus
PS: There are even 2 very detailed TOAW scenarios covering the operation for download!

< Message edited by Samichlaus -- 11/27/2008 11:29:50 AM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Switzerland and Case Christmas Tree Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI