Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 4/22/2002 2:56:25 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok first rule you can only give one title in your post.

Because second place isn't "the greatest" so its not required.

Today I watched a film that so deftly booted what I thought was the "greatest" off the top slot with such incredible ease.

It's not a new film or a really old one (well not old to me I suppose).

I watched Good Morning Vietnam. Bill Maudlin would have been very proud of that film.

It wasn't about cool battle scenes or great effects.

I am voting for it because I cried several times while watching it. An unexpected result certainly. But I have never seen the complete idiocy of war better portrayed on film.

Perhaps we really should have a comedian in the top post of our countries. Maybe they could get everyone to finally see what we are not seeing.

It's just such incredible bitter irony, that a comedian was able to make a better war movie. But being a lunatic in my own way, I know that often comics are naturally more sensitive to insanity.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 4/22/2002 6:00:50 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

mmm....very difficult question Sarge^__^
let me think........
I'd probably say:"A bridge too far",not because of special effects,it's quite an old movie indeed,but because of the very good picture that is taken for every actor tah took part of that incredible Drama named Market garden
but i'm not so sure about my choice:D :D :D

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 4/22/2002 6:14:34 AM   
Bernie

My choice would have to be "Kelly's Heros" with too many stars in it to name them all, but some great shots of late model Tigers.

What, me worry?

Post #: 3
- 4/22/2002 7:07:24 AM   
Bing

TLD = The Longest Day. Better the cast, if you can. Actually better in the historical accuracy department than I originally thought - Lovatt really WAS a nut who bopped around the battlefield in a white sweater, hunting rifle slung over his shoulder.

Involves the single greatest military event in modern history. Nothing touchs Overlord as a WW2 subject for epic drama.

Besides, where else can you watch Burton - with his thick Welsh accent - emoting on the lines "At the bottom ... of the channel ..."? And not laugh while reading the line? You KNOW the other guy wants to say,"Oh drat, that means I won't be getting my boots back, doesn't it?" - but doesn't dare. Watch the scene closely - he almost laughs when Burton delivers, you can see it at the corners of his mouth.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 4
- 4/22/2002 7:40:14 AM   
WhiteRook

Kelly's Hero's gets my vote! This is another great movie that uses comdey to protray how absured war really is!
the preformances of Carol O'Connor and Donald Sutherland are just a major - major treat! and Don Rickels is a scream as always.
There is much to be learned from this movie if you study the charcters.... :)

Post #: 5
- 4/22/2002 7:42:32 AM   
Goblin

Well, you all knew it was coming... [I]Saving Private Ryan[/I] . I have agreed with the quality of all of the suggestions thus far, but c'mon now. Special effects, excellent acting, poignant message about the horrors of war, etc. I would, had it been officially a 'movie', have nominated HBO's [I]Band of Brothers[/I] . Don't get mad, I only named one actual movie.

Hey Sarge; maybe after a couple days of answers you could do a poll with the top few nominees. I think that would be interesting.

Goblin

Post #: 6
- 4/22/2002 7:48:52 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteRook
[B]Kelly's Hero's gets my vote! This is another great movie that uses comdey to protray how absured war really is!
the preformances of Carol O'Connor and Donald Sutherland are just a major - major treat! and Don Rickels is a scream as always.
There is much to be learned from this movie if you study the charcters.... :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Not to mention Clint Eastwood as "Kelly". :)

I swear, I still love the scene where Eastwood, Savalas, and Sutherland do a take-off on almost every western movie ever made and walk down the street gunfighter style to face down the Tiger. If you listen close you can hear the sound of 6 "brass ones" clinking as they walk. ;)

What, me worry?

Post #: 7
- 4/22/2002 8:11:14 AM   
Supervisor

Patton, To hell and back, Guns of Navarone, Bridge over the river Kwai, Kelly's hero's, Apocalypse Now, Platton. So many good ones to choose from. It's all a matter a preference I guess.

Post #: 8
- 4/22/2002 8:21:20 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gmenfan
[B]Patton, To hell and back, Guns of Navarone, Bridge over the river Kwai, Kelly's hero's, Apocalypse Now, Platton. So many good ones to choose from. It's all a matter a preference I guess. [/B][/QUOTE]

HE SAID ONE! We all bit our tongues and just named one (my mini-series doesn't count;) ) Jeez, moderate the board, and you can do whatever ya want.;) :)

Goblin

Post #: 9
- 4/22/2002 8:29:59 AM   
Supervisor

Ok fine, Kelly's Hero's. Happy, I swear you post here and you think you can push the moderators around.:D :rolleyes: :cool:

Post #: 10
- 4/22/2002 5:28:54 PM   
FNG

Glory.

A war film and so much more.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

Post #: 11
- 4/22/2002 6:35:09 PM   
M4Jess

The Cross of Iron. (the factory sceen is 2nd to none!)

M4

Im making war, not trouble~

Post #: 12
- 4/22/2002 6:47:39 PM   
CaffeineAddict

I'd vote Band of Brothers but that's a mini-series so I vote A Bridge to Far.

Saving Private Ryan was a good movie with a crappy plot.

CAFFEINE ADDICTION IS NOT A CRIME

Post #: 13
Cross of Iron - 4/22/2002 7:11:58 PM   
mogami

Hi "Dirt mixed with body oils can make you water proof"
You just don't get lines like that in many movies.

"I hate all stinking officers" That and Sam Peckinpaugh slow motion action make "Cross of Iron" my favorite. I am a big fan of James Colburn and James Mason. Saving Private Ryan is way to cliche Hollywood. It is well directed/acted/filmed but it follows the required Hollywood format of unsupported American unit, having to fight impossible odds. Like the USA would not know what unit Ryan was in and in 3 days had made no radio contact blah blah blah. What was medic doing attacking MG-42? Why did they not just use that sniper or better still lob a rife grenade into it?
Whats the big deal over that little bridge? Blow the **** thing and forget about it. The US could rebridge it in around 20 minutes. blah blah blah Hollywood soap. Runner up is "Paths of Glory" Kirk Douglass "I'll take the anthill" (he don't)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 14
Sorry to say - 4/22/2002 7:21:16 PM   
Gary Tatro

But the best war movie has to be the full 8 hour epic of "Lawrence of Arabia"

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

Post #: 15
- 4/22/2002 7:42:27 PM   
Don Doom

The Bridge, gets my vote. Those kids did me in.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 16
- 4/22/2002 7:53:26 PM   
Unknown_Enemy

Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

No other war movies can compare with it...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Post #: 17
- 4/22/2002 8:06:36 PM   
jlaurila

Talvisota hands down ;)
thats winter war for all u nonfinns :)

JLaurila

Post #: 18
- 4/22/2002 8:12:19 PM   
Lars Remmen

Tough one... Die Brücke or Das Boot?

A handful of kids hopelessly defending a bridge against the US Army or an experienced U-boot crew facing hopeless odds?

Probably Das Boot...but it's a close race...

Regards,

Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 19
- 4/22/2002 8:31:48 PM   
Saviola

the longest day is really a legend...the grand cast is uncomparable for all other movies...
the bridge over river kwai and the thin red line are also good portrayal of the world war two battlefields.
saving private ryan...hahaha,that's funny. I have watched the first 30 minutes over and over again, that's great...and after that...what a creep.
despite all are ww2 film... i think black hawn down is very good also

Post #: 20
- 4/22/2002 8:38:21 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Great replies so far.

Goblin gets a star for whacking the moderator for me heheh.

Looks like you guys all picked my fav movies, you guys obviously are either A as old as me or B have at least the same tastes (hope that didn't come out sounding like a put down hehe:) ).

Special effects seem to be the basis for so many films today. I liked Ryan mainly for how it stunned the audiences for the first 30 minutes with horrifyingly graphic violence.

For history nuts... The real Ryan was a limey that obviously went ashore on a British beach.

Great actors don't aaaaaalways make a great war movie, but lousy actors sure make a lousy one. Which is why I have never been overly worried about adding a few modern modern setting movies to my list, had a great plot and action, but I hated the actors to much.

Maybe I well start a thread later for "Crappiest War Movie ever".

Pity is I have seen some grrrrrreat war movies, but did they actually "move me emotionally" is a hard one to achieve. I left a few choices off my own selection process simply because they were only great movies, and not influential movies.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 21
- 4/22/2002 9:06:46 PM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars Remmen
[B]Tough one... Die Brücke or Das Boot?

A handful of kids hopelessly defending a bridge against the US Army or an experienced U-boot crew facing hopeless odds?

Probably Das Boot...but it's a close race...

Regards,

Lars [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! Lars, I got exactly the same movies on the top of my list!

Post #: 22
- 4/22/2002 9:13:00 PM   
mao

It has to be Black Hawk Down... although a close second is the Russian movie "Come and See"

I have heard a numbr of Finns talk about "Winter War" but have never seen it... and I REALLY want to see it

Post #: 23
- 4/22/2002 9:17:12 PM   
Penetrator

"Come and see", I second that.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!

Post #: 24
- 4/22/2002 9:18:50 PM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mao
[B]It has to be Black Hawk Down... although a close second is the Russian movie "Come and See"

I have heard a numbr of Finns talk about "Winter War" but have never seen it... and I REALLY want to see it [/B][/QUOTE]

IMO, "Winter War" is kinda clumsy movie, although it has some memorable scenes.

Post #: 25
- 4/22/2002 10:26:07 PM   
NaKATPase

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars Remmen
[B]Tough one... Die Brücke or Das Boot?

Lars [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahhh!! Seeing that posted made me remember seeing a bit of that film! (the bridge) If I remember correctly, I saw part of it in a high school history class... too long ago, can't remember clearly (if I've got this problem now, I don't want to know what it's like when I hit 30 :()

Anyhow, not sure if this is absolutely the best, but it's my favorite for non-world war two...
"March or Die"
Course, I've always been somewhat of a closet legion fanatic... ;-)

Post #: 26
Tough Choice - 4/22/2002 10:37:23 PM   
Kanon Fodder

I was thinking along the lines of "A Bridge Too Far"

Then I remembered "Stalingrad" (subtitled version)

Post #: 27
- 4/22/2002 11:29:25 PM   
Capt Chris

I am going with Band of Brothers.

I know it is a mini-series but I no other movie has ever captured the unglorified realism without the "Hollywood" feel. Just ask the men from Easy Company who were consulted and interviewed during the filming.

Capt Chris

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post #: 28
Re: Tough Choice - 4/22/2002 11:30:44 PM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kanon Fodder
[B]Then I remembered "Stalingrad" (subtitled version) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ouch! I dont want to offend anybody, but I´d vote German-made Stalingrad as the "Crappiest War Movie ever".

Post #: 29
smells like victory - 4/23/2002 1:35:41 AM   
11Bravo

[IMG]http://www.miramax.com/apocalypsenow/images/hasflash.jpg[/IMG][QUOTE]Saigon. ****! I'm still only in Saigon. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said 'yes' to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there. When I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now. I'm waiting for a mission - getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker. And every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream, it's my nightmare. Crawling, slipping along the edge of a straight razor and surviving....But we must kill them, we must incinerate them, pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village, army after army, and they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie and we have to be merciful for those who lie, for those nabobs. I hate them. I do hate them. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]At first, I thought they handed me the wrong dossier. I couldn't believe they wanted this man dead. Third generation West Point, top of his class. Korea, Airborne. About a thousand decorations. Etcetera, etcetera. I had heard his voice on the tape and it really put the hook in me. But I couldn't connect up that voice with this man. Like they said, he had an impressive career, maybe too impressive, I mean perfect. He was being groomed for one of the top slots in the corporation: General, Chief of Staff, anything. In 1964, he returned from a tour with advisory command in Vietnam and things started to slip. His report to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Lyndon Johnson was restricted. It seems they didn't dig what he had to tell 'em. During the next few months, he made three requests for transfer to Airborne training, Ft. Benning, Georgia and was finally accepted. Airborne? He was thirty-eight years old. Why the f--k would he do that? 1966: Joined Special Forces, returns Vietnam[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Kurtz: What did they tell you?
Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane and that your methods were unsound. (Kurtz clenches his fist.)
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
Kurtz: I expected someone like you. What did you expect? Are you an assassin?
Willard: I'm a soldier.
Kurtz: (disdainfully, with his face in full view) You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks to collect the bill.
[/QUOTE]

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI