Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patch is not fixing the game for me! How to get a refund?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Patch is not fixing the game for me! How to get a refund? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patch is not fixing the game for me! How to get a refund? - 11/18/2008 9:51:21 PM   
Prospero

Hi everyone! (to all native english speakers, please don't mind my english being not so good)

I said I'd give the game a chance. Today I downloaded the patch and after some unpleasant problems with the serial number, which I solved with the help of a fellow forums member, I took the evening off to enjoy a good round of grand strategy gaming. That was what I was expecting.
So I started the game, a grand campaign, went through the war-plans phase, had some fun reading the events and deciding which one to keep, sent my diplomats here and there and came to the first military phase. I clicked on the first army (germany) to move them to Belgium and BANG!!! Visual C++ runtime error! Game crashed, task manager brought me back to the desktop where I could close the "nonresponsive program".

With all due respect, this was not what I expected from the patch. I feel I got fooled AGAIN and have decided to go for a refund. I have seen that there are users in the AGEOD forums providing workarounds and fixes for quite a number of problems, but I have no intention on trying these. It is not my job to fix a game: It's the developers job.

I have bought the game at the Matrix Online Store (Digital River) via Credit Card. Please explain step by step how I do get my money back.

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

Prospero

< Message edited by Prospero -- 11/18/2008 10:46:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/18/2008 10:03:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

It is not my job to fix a game: It's the developers job.

Unfortunately, that is a very good point.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 11/19/2008 1:52:28 PM >

(in reply to Prospero)
Post #: 2
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/18/2008 10:14:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Prospero,

I agree that it's the developer's job to fix the game. I'm sorry you've experienced some frustration from what should be an enjoyable game.

With that said, when there are bugs a developer can only fix them if they are reported and finding a single crash, however annoying, does not mean that a game is worthless. Did you run into any other problems or just that one? Did you have a save file you could go back to and continue? If you have a save or noted what the error was, please post those so that the developer has the best chance of resolving this issue.

I should add to this that we are honoring AGEOD's offer, so if you want a refund based on the reported issues, send me an e-mail please.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 11/18/2008 10:27:38 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/18/2008 10:41:14 PM   
tran505

Erik:

I think Prospero wanted info on how to get his refund.

The game has problems; some may be willing to wait and some not. I tried playing the Serbian miniscenario before the patch came out, and it blew up on turn 2. Not good. There will also be a raft-load of niggling issues that come next, but let's face it, if the game is not a stable platform, who cares about the details of gameplay? I'll try it again and see if I can get through it; then we'll let the niggling questions and issue fly.

- P

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/18/2008 10:46:24 PM   
Prospero

Hi Erik!

You are right, a single crash doesn't make a game worthless and my thread title is a bit harsh. Please note that I am a big fan of matrix games and have never been disappointed (I own World War II - Road to Victory, Commander: Europe At War and Gary Grigsby's World at War). This year 2008 I bought a total of four strategy games, War Leaders (german version) in May, World War II - Road to Victory in August, Aggression in September and... WWI La Grande Guerre.
War Leaders and Aggression, both having nothing to do with Matrix Games, are unplayable at present with no sign of any improvement and no possibility for me to get a refund.
So please note that I am just a disappointed customer who has met special circumstances this year. I don't have and won't have any personal problems with Matrix and AGEOD. In fact, I very much like the style of your and AGEOD's information policy. Not to mention I like the possibility for refund. I am also looking forward to some other titles your company is producing or publishing in the near future.

Kind regards,

P.

I will change the title of this thread (if possible). I understand it's a bit too harsh for having experienced one crash.

Post #: 5
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/18/2008 11:44:36 PM   
Prospero

Here's a picture of my second attempt. A savegame won't help you much, I think. It's a plain install with 1.0.4 applied, no option is changed, grand campaign - 4 players - Germany - first "round" - second military phase (with my units being locked in the first).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Prospero)
Post #: 6
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 12:32:50 AM   
Hanal

I know it's rare but did you send the error report to Microsoft and get a reply?  There have been an occasion or two where they direct me to the problem...I know it is rare but worth a shot.....

(in reply to Prospero)
Post #: 7
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 12:43:27 AM   
06 Maestro

Prospero

They change something with the patch that makes the game unstable if you play it in the strictly "turn based mode". There is an option for that in the in game options list. It is possible that is select it. Check it out, and make sure that WEGO (think thats it-only two choices) is selected.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 8
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 1:33:17 AM   
Prospero

Nope! As stated, I didn't change any option and can confirm and I checked: it isn't set on turn-based mode.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 9
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 3:05:15 AM   
06 Maestro

Well Prospero, I just had one of those window shutdowns myself. In my case, it only seems to happen if I resume, or start a new scenario without first completely shutting down the game. A little odd.

(in reply to Prospero)
Post #: 10
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 5:14:04 AM   
Jutland13

With all of these issues I will stay away, until I know it works. What is supposed to make this game better than "Guns of August"?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 11
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 5:46:21 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jutland13

With all of these issues I will stay away, until I know it works. What is supposed to make this game better than "Guns of August"?

WW1 has much greater "depth" to it. It could be a masterpiece-but not yet.

Even though it runs much much better with the patch, I am still having some difficulties with it. I don't want to bad mouth this game yet as the problems may be on my end-I will know in a couple of weeks (or less). At this point, I would advise anyone without 2 gigs of Ram on your rig not to buy this game-especially if you cannot further upgrade your existing ram ( a newer CPU might make the Ram issue a non issue). During some game operations it works fine, other times it takes 4 to 8 minutes to get through a particular AI update. I have watched the system use closely through hours of playing this game. On my machine it typically is using 1.5 to 1.7 gigs-which means for me; it is running on virtual memory (which I added to just to be safe). I'm afraid I'm still over taxing my CPU (Athlon 3500). Much of the time it is running at 100%.

To satisfy my desire for some WW1 gaming a couple of days ago, I played though over half the war with GOA-trouble free.

(in reply to Jutland13)
Post #: 12
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 12:11:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prospero
Here's a picture of my second attempt. A savegame won't help you much, I think. It's a plain install with 1.0.4 applied, no option is changed, grand campaign - 4 players - Germany - first "round" - second military phase (with my units being locked in the first).

Just FYI for anyone reading this, the info you will see if you click on the "click here" is much more valuable than the initial generic crash screen. A save file that duplicates a crash is worth its weight in gold to a developer.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Prospero)
Post #: 13
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 12:51:39 PM   
markwall06

Another minor issue I have is that the "Update Game" option in both the WWIGamemenu and in the Start-Programs etc menu doesn't actually update the game.  When I tried it it just said there was an error.  Spent a long time on the forums until I saw that someone mentioned there was a patch and then I had to spend a bit more time to find it.
Now with V1.0.03 it was jerky to the extent that it was just unplayable, When I downloaded and installed the new patch it was 100% better in terms of gameplay ie I could play it without waiting 10 minutes or so for the AI or the mouse freezing up so often that by the time it came back on I'd scrolled somewhere off the map.  I was really pleased and set myself up for a campaign two player game.  I got two turns into it and I got the same message as Prospero above.
Also it may be me being a bit thick but where is the load game option?

Post #: 14
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 1:13:38 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

Even though it runs much much better with the patch, I am still having some difficulties with it. I don't want to bad mouth this game yet as the problems may be on my end-I will know in a couple of weeks (or less). At this point, I would advise anyone without 2 gigs of Ram on your rig not to buy this game-especially if you cannot further upgrade your existing ram ( a newer CPU might make the Ram issue a non issue). During some game operations it works fine, other times it takes 4 to 8 minutes to get through a particular AI update. I have watched the system use closely through hours of playing this game. On my machine it typically is using 1.5 to 1.7 gigs-which means for me; it is running on virtual memory (which I added to just to be safe). I'm afraid I'm still over taxing my CPU (Athlon 3500). Much of the time it is running at 100%.

To satisfy my desire for some WW1 gaming a couple of days ago, I played though over half the war with GOA-trouble free.

My computer specs are very similar to yours so its a no go for me at this time. Additionally, it seems like the game is a lot of work and no fun subject to further patches and an updated manual. Agree that GOA has been a very good , trouble-free WW1 gaming experience.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 15
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 1:22:59 PM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

My computer specs are very similar to yours so its a no go for me at this time. Additionally, it seems like the game is a lot of work and no fun subject to further patches and an updated manual. Agree that GOA has been a very good , trouble-free WW1 gaming experience.

Oops, and I have a lowly Athalon 2000 with only 1 GB of ram, so I guess this game is out of the question for moi. But I keep perusing the Matrix site tyring to settle on a game. So far nada.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 16
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 2:16:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa
Oops, and I have a lowly Athalon 2000 with only 1 GB of ram, so I guess this game is out of the question for moi. But I keep perusing the Matrix site tyring to settle on a game. So far nada.

Well, if you like WW1 and you don't have enough computer for this title, have you considered Guns of August?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 17
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 3:30:19 PM   
ulver

quote:

Well, if you like WW1 and you don't have enough computer for this title, have you considered Guns of August?

Good advice. GOA is a discrete little masterpiece.

Deceptively simple but I still play it every week after close to two years. Perhaps the best game I’ve ever bought.

Great support from the designer as well – and the AI will actually give you a fight for the first games – witch makes it an exceptional AI in my estimation.

Only downside is that the documentation kind of sucks

Post #: 18
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 4:47:42 PM   
markwall06

I don't know if this is the right place for this or even if it means anything as I'm not so computer literate but I had another crash today, similar to the screenshot above- EXCEPT my only options were "debug" or "close".  I did manage to find the temporary file that the crash generated and copy it below.  If I've got it wrong then apologies to all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="WW1.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="autorun.exe" SIZE="2797568" CHECKSUM="0x5B9E898E" BIN_FILE_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="AutoPlay Application" COMPANY_NAME="" PRODUCT_NAME="AutoPlay Media Studio 7.0 Runtime" FILE_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="ams70_runtime.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="ams70_runtime" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Runtime Engine Copyright © 2008 Indigo Rose Corporation (www.indigorose.com)" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.1.1007.0" LINK_DATE="03/12/2008 16:06:38" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/12/2008 16:06:38" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="d3dx9_34.dll" SIZE="3497832" CHECKSUM="0x60EB9E9" BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.46" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.46" PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.0046" FILE_DESCRIPTION="" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® DirectX for Windows®" FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.0046" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="D3DX9D.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="D3DX9D.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1994-2007" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x10001" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x35EDA5" LINKER_VERSION="0x60000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.46" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.46" LINK_DATE="05/15/2007 05:13:00" UPTO_LINK_DATE="05/15/2007 05:13:00" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="d3dx9_35.dll" SIZE="3727720" CHECKSUM="0xD433132B" BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" FILE_DESCRIPTION="" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® DirectX for Windows®" FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="D3DX9D.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="D3DX9D.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1994-2007" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x10001" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x395201" LINKER_VERSION="0x70000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.19.949.1104" LINK_DATE="07/19/2007 21:54:38" UPTO_LINK_DATE="07/19/2007 21:54:38" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="DelZip179.dll" SIZE="246608" CHECKSUM="0xAA5DADAA" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.79.7.3" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.79.7.3" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.79.07.03" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Freeware Zip/Unzip" COMPANY_NAME="DelphiZip" PRODUCT_NAME="DelphiZip" FILE_VERSION="1.79.07.03" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="DelZip179.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="DelZip.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © 2007, Russell Peters" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x4174F" LINKER_VERSION="0x40000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.79.7.3" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.79.7.3" LINK_DATE="02/16/2007 00:47:40" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/16/2007 00:47:40" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="unins000.exe" SIZE="691481" CHECKSUM="0x9B3AE545" BIN_FILE_VERSION="51.49.0.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="51.49.0.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="0.0.0.0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Setup/Uninstall" COMPANY_NAME="" PRODUCT_NAME="" FILE_VERSION="51.49.0.0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="" INTERNAL_NAME="" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="51.49.0.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="51.49.0.0" LINK_DATE="06/19/1992 22:22:17" UPTO_LINK_DATE="06/19/1992 22:22:17" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="update.exe" SIZE="1858560" CHECKSUM="0xB16A0502" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="10/02/2008 14:56:46" UPTO_LINK_DATE="10/02/2008 14:56:46" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="Updater.exe" SIZE="1858560" CHECKSUM="0xB16A0502" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="10/02/2008 14:56:46" UPTO_LINK_DATE="10/02/2008 14:56:46" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="WW1.exe" SIZE="8713216" CHECKSUM="0xB0F15CF6" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.3.1" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.3.1" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.3.1" FILE_DESCRIPTION="World War One" COMPANY_NAME="AgeOD" PRODUCT_NAME="World War One" FILE_VERSION="1.0.3.1" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="WW1.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="WW1.exe" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="(c) 2008 by AGEOD. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x851EA5" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.3.1" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.3.1" LINK_DATE="11/17/2008 19:19:36" UPTO_LINK_DATE="11/17/2008 19:19:36" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="WW1Configurator.exe" SIZE="331776" CHECKSUM="0xD9D596B3" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.1.0.1" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1.0.1" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1.0.1" FILE_DESCRIPTION="WW1 Configurator" COMPANY_NAME="Luca Cammisa" PRODUCT_NAME="World War One" FILE_VERSION="1.1.0.1" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="WW1Configurator.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="WW1Configurator.exe" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="(c) 2008 by AgeOD. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x54460" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.1.0.1" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1.0.1" LINK_DATE="11/17/2008 19:17:00" UPTO_LINK_DATE="11/17/2008 19:17:00" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="DirectX\directx_9c_redist.exe" SIZE="35113704" CHECKSUM="0x7581D35A" BIN_FILE_VERSION="6.0.2600.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="6.0.2600.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="6.00.2600.0000" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor                                           " COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="6.00.2600.0000" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="WEXTRACT.EXE            " INTERNAL_NAME="Wextract                " LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x21829EA" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="6.0.2600.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="6.0.2600.0" LINK_DATE="08/18/2001 01:42:57" UPTO_LINK_DATE="08/18/2001 01:42:57" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="DivX\DivXCodec.exe" SIZE="3436280" CHECKSUM="0xA573F179" BIN_FILE_VERSION="6.8.4.7" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="6.8.4.7" FILE_DESCRIPTION="DivX Community Codec Installer, L:EN;ES;DE;FR;JA, DivX Codec 6.8.4" COMPANY_NAME="DivX, Inc." FILE_VERSION="6.8.4.7" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="bundle-communitycodec.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="bundle-communitycodec" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (c) DivX, Inc. 2008" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x34AB39" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="6.8.4.7" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="6.8.4.7" LINK_DATE="03/31/2007 15:09:51" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/31/2007 15:09:51" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x7D737C09" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF44A2" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" UPTO_LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

Oh and I managed to find the load game menu - it appears under the scenarios once you have  saved game name

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 19
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 4:59:02 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ulver

quote:

Deceptively simple but I still play it every week after close to two years. Perhaps the best game I’ve ever bought.

Great support from the designer as well – and the AI will actually give you a fight for the first games – witch makes it an exceptional AI in my estimation.

I loved the idea of Guns of August and I did love the game...unfortunately, I grew tired of the interface...after quite some time playing, I still found it tedious!

If you can get past that, it is a great game though.

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 20
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 6:03:14 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

My computer specs are very similar to yours so its a no go for me at this time.

My gaming rig also has a N Vidia 256 graphics board. This is the first time a game has over taxed my system-I knew the day would come. I have 2 Gigs of RAM in the mail from Crucial; I will report on the improvement asap.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Additionally, it seems like the game is a lot of work and no fun subject to further patches and an updated manual.

The "work" in this game is figuring out how to play the darn thing. I have made considerable progress, but there is great depth yet to explore. I don't know why developers don't have a standard, "golden rule" to include in the manual a straight forward list of tasks/actions, in order with pertinent details, of a complete turn, from beginning to end. They seem to think everyone should know what is already in their head-I don't, I need them to tell me. I wonder how many players just give up on a game because it is too much trouble to figure out how to play it. Being in a hurry to get it to market is no rational reason for not doing this-one extra hour of development time seems a small price to pay for this "feature".

I have had some fun with this game. I have already have come across several areas that are very interesting. Things that add a healthy dash of realism and things that will make for excellent game play regarding: orders, methods of movement, reserve positioning, and deployments. There are other areas of the game I have hardly looked at because of the current difficulties. When this game is brought up to speed, it could very well be the best mutiplayer strategy game on the market. It is a WEGO type.

quote:

Agree that GOA has been a very good , trouble-free WW1 gaming experience.

GoA is indeed a very good game. I do not have any problem with the UI other than the map (and scrolling). If that game had a zoom-able map, I would upgrade it from "very good" to "great". I guess you can't have it all.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 11/19/2008 10:35:05 PM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 21
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 7:37:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: markwall06
I don't know if this is the right place for this or even if it means anything as I'm not so computer literate but I had another crash today, similar to the screenshot above- EXCEPT my only options were "debug" or "close".  I did manage to find the temporary file that the crash generated and copy it below.  If I've got it wrong then apologies to all

Best thing as far as crash info is to either post it in the tech support sub-forum here or post it at the AGEOD official forums (link is posted in this forum). In the middle of a thread like this it will just get lost.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to markwall06)
Post #: 22
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 8:59:46 PM   
PDiFolco

Prospero
The 4-player GC is still buggy when played solo vs 3AI, AGEOD guys told it one hundred times.  It will be fixed, but for the moment try the 2 pl GC.

Stwa
Unexpectedly the game (patched) just works fine on my Athlon2400/2GB RAM and my Centrno/1GB RAM laptop. Eventually it should also work on your rig (I suppose you're using XP, who will put Vista on a 5-yrs old machine ?).

Post #: 23
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 11:51:05 PM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: ulver

quote:

Yes, actually, I have been lurking over there as well. So that maybe the one. Other candidates are AT and CCMT.

But also Erik, I would like to say, sometimes it angers people to have to mess with sending around save files and stuff, especially when people feel like they exactly followed the instructions to install and use the software.

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 24
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/19/2008 11:55:00 PM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

<snip>

Stwa
Unexpectedly the game (patched) just works fine on my Athlon2400/2GB RAM and my Centrno/1GB RAM laptop. Eventually it should also work on your rig (I suppose you're using XP, who will put Vista on a 5-yrs old machine ?).

Ok, thanks, I could run BoA and WiA just fine, so I am glad to hear my rig is still in the hunt for this game.

And yes I use XP. What's funny is I really don't want to even think about upgrading to Vista. Everything I need and want works great in XP now.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 25
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 12:14:38 AM   
ETF

quote:

I should add to this that we are honoring AGEOD's offer, so if you want a refund based on the reported issues, send me an e-mail please.

Regards,

- Erik

I have been trying for two days to get a refund from your telephone chaps but they stated no problem and would call me back. Today they refused the refund.

I just noticed your email..... Re directly to you. I assumed they were aware of your decision but they stated you do not set policy and could not offer refunds??

Even with the patch after 2 hours of piecing it together today still having problems not to mention the Multiplayer aspect not working. I have emailed you directly as per your instructions sir.

I hope to repurchase the game assuming these error(s) can be rectified.

I hope my email get to you. Thanks so much.

< Message edited by ETF -- 11/20/2008 12:15:46 AM >

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Post #: 26
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 12:24:25 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

<snip>

Stwa

Ok, thanks, I could run BoA and WiA just fine, so I am glad to hear my rig is still in the hunt for this game.

And yes I use XP. What's funny is I really don't want to even think about upgrading to Vista. Everything I need and want works great in XP now.

Potentially good news for me too (Athlon 3000 w/ 1 gig and XP OS) but may think about adding another gig of ram. I have to agree re: XP. My limited experience w/ Vista hasn't been bad but I don't want to upgrade until I absolutely have to.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 27
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 1:05:39 AM   
SlickWilhelm

Of all games, why did this mess have to happen to a WWI game? It's hard enough generating interest in a WWI game as it is, and this is not going to help. 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 28
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 11:09:30 AM   
doomtrader

I'm not completly sure but IIRC we have got some problems with multithreads under VISTA in WW2:RtV after first release. If the WW1 devs would like to, I can try to get some details.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 29
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 11:30:07 AM   
EUBanana

I loved GoA and am hungry for more WW1.  So I will be a dead cert to buy this - when it works.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Patch is not fixing the game for me! How to get a refund? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI