Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2008 7:32:40 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 25, 1944

Course: South
Attached to: TF 27
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 432

Orders: Proceed to Bonin

---

Admiral Tashiro’s task force receives a slight change in orders. Instead of Iwo Jima the ships will go to Chichi Jima and rendezvous with their reinforcements there.

“Why the change, sir?” Lieutenant Kuwaki asks Ishii as the ships alter course slightly.

Ishii shrugs. “It could be any of several things,” he says. “There might be more fuel or provisions available there. My guess, though, is that is a bit further north and maybe less subject to air attack.”

“I haven’t heard anything about Iwo Jima being bombed,” says Kuwaki.

“No,” says Ishii, “but I doubt that we would. Bad news does not travel fast these days.”

“One does not speak of rope in the house of a hanged man,” says Kuwaki. “That’s what my grandmother used to say, sir.”

“That gets tricky if the occupants are supposed to be making mooring lines,” says Ishii.

“Sir?”

“Nothing, Kuwaki. Never mind.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3721
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2008 11:59:13 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 26, 1944

Course: None
Fuel: 410

---

The Japanese ships anchor in Chichi Jima’s Futami Harbor. Around them rise rugged green-clad slopes, scarred here and there with signs of recent construction. In other places the pristine appearance of the hillsides has been carefully restored to avoid giving away the location of defensive emplacements that have been built over the past year.

On Hibiki’s bridge Ensign Izu looks up when he hears a flutter of wings. Out on the rail of the starboard observation platform perches a small bird. It has a yellow underbelly and is olive-drab on top. When it cocks its head at Izu he sees that there is a white ring around each eye with striking black markings around the white.

“It’s a Bonin white-eye!” he exclaims in delight. Lieutenant Sugiyura, standing nearby, looks over at him.

“What’s that, Ensign?” he asks.

Izu points out at the observation platform. “Uh, the bird out there, sir, it’s a Bonin white-eye,” he says. “They are found only in these islands.”

Sugiyura glances out just in time to see the bird fly away. “Birds?” he says. “They’re noisy and dirty. Who cares about birds?”

“But sir, haven’t you ever seen a raptor strike?” says Izu. “It’s the most amazing blend of speed and power. They must calculate their dive exactly and strike at precisely the right moment. It’s like watching a perfectly executed torpedo attack.”

Sugiyura looks impressed. “I admit I have never seen that,” he says. “I would like to. Are there such birds here?”

“Well, no,” says Izu. “Sadly many of the bird species here were wiped out by feral pigs and other animals introduced by Westerners.”

Sugiyura’s lip curls. “Now there is a nice analogy,” he says. “Western pigs wiping out loyal Japanese birds. It sounds like what we face if the enemy wins, doesn’t it? The destruction of our essence by foreign swine.”

“Um, yes sir, I guess so,” says Izu.

“Luckily we are raptors and not songbirds,” says Sugiyura. “Not so easy to catch and eat, eh?”

“Actually, sir, the pigs eat the eggs and destroy the nests…” begins Izu, but Sugiyura holds up a hand to stop him.

“Don’t mess up a good analogy with facts, Ensign” he says. “At least not a superior officer’s analogy.”

“Of course not, sir,” says Izu. “They may be larger but we have sharper talons, right?”

“Now you’re talking,” says Sugiyura approvingly.

---

Bonin White-eye:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3722
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2008 6:29:52 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 27, 1944

---

Riku accompanies Lieutenant JG Kataoka ashore in the morning. As they have just come from Japan there is nothing the destroyer really needs but Chichi Jima is a new place and Riku wants to have a look around. He likes to meet people and establish contacts before he really needs something, anyway. That way when something does come up he already has a foot in the door.

He meets a navy man down by the docks, a seaman second class who works in the base’s mess. The man is oddly reluctant to be drawn into conversation at first but brightens when Riku asks to have a look at the large ice-making facility. It is brand new and the man is very proud of it, having helped set it up. He shows Riku various features and talks about how many cubic feet of ice it is capable of producing per hour. Ordinarily, he says, a base this size would not rate such an installation but two regiments of infantry and additional support units have recently been moved to the island.

“Of course the enemy has noticed this activity,” the man tells Riku. “There was an air raid a couple of weeks ago that fortunately missed the ice plant. Some enemy planes were shot down, though, and they haven’t been back since.”

“That’s good,” says Riku. “Say, what kind of food do you have here? Anything good? We usually carry some extra food aboard Hibiki, and drink too. If you guys have anything to offer I’d be happy to work out a trade. I have a case of scotch I might be willing to let go of, for example.”

The man’s face closes down like a door slamming shut. “I have to go,” he says, and walks stiffly away.

“Hey!” says Riku, trotting after him. “What is it? Look, there’s nothing wrong with some trading, not if our superiors approve everything.” The man stops as Riku catches up to him but looks down at the ground and will not raise his head. There is an odd tension radiating from his body.

“What’s wrong?” says Riku more quietly. For clearly something is. He wonders if the man might be a little off his rocker. It happens, in the war.

Then the man looks up at him. Riku does not think he has ever seen such haunted eyes. He wants to take a step back but doesn’t, even though for some reason he is suddenly afraid.

“Don’t,” says the man in a whisper.

“Don’t what?” says Riku. Without thinking he too whispers.

“Don’t touch our food,” says the man. There is strain in his voice. “Don’t eat anything here.”

“What is it?” says Riku. “Why not?” But the man just shakes his head.

“Leave me alone,” he whispers, then walks swiftly away. This time Riku does not follow him. The man walks so quickly he is almost running and soon is out of Riku’s sight.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3723
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2008 8:11:40 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

“Don’t,” says the man in a whisper.

“Don’t what?” says Riku. Without thinking he too whispers.

“Don’t touch our food,” says the man. There is strain in his voice. “Don’t eat anything here.”

Now there's a major "uh-oh" . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3724
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2008 8:27:01 PM   
tocaff

A base with a cursed mess?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3725
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2008 9:56:56 PM   
kaleun

Or a mess of a cursed base.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3726
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/18/2008 10:54:34 PM   
Alikchi2

Hibiki sails away, and the island disappears into the mist.. Ishii checks his map: Chichi Jima is actually supposed to be a hundred miles to the west... oh I give up.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 3727
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 12:45:27 AM   
Heeward

Uh oh - Apparently history has repeated itself here.......

The Wake

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 3728
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 1:02:40 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heeward

I think Heeward has it figured out.

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 3729
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 1:42:45 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

I think Heeward has it figured out.

Would he mind sharing with the rest of us?

EDIT: Ah, I get it now......

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 11/19/2008 1:58:22 AM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3730
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 10:04:47 AM   
String

hmh, interesting, is chichi jima out of supply then? :o

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3731
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 4:52:58 PM   
Marc gto

someone struck a nerve

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3732
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 8:19:47 PM   
Mobeer

From The Daily Mail:

"Portions of a beheaded American flier were served to senior Japanese officers on the Pacific island of Chichi Jima in February 1945, not because they needed the food, but to promote their own virility."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-482363/Why-use-bomb-Japan.html

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 3733
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/19/2008 11:08:40 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 28, 1944

---

Taiki stands at the rail watching a light cruiser – he thinks it is Yahagi – and four destroyers enter the harbor. Beside him Riku is describing his encounter ashore.

“It was kind of creepy,” Riku says in conclusion. “But I think the man was probably just a little mad.”

“It can happen,” says Taiki. “They know they are likely to be invaded here, sooner or later. The waiting must be rather stressful.”

“Maybe,” says Riku doubtfully. “Still, there was something…ah, I don’t know.”

Taiki turns his gaze from the arriving warships to his friend. “Maybe the stress of the war is getting to you, too,” he says, looking amused. “You seem a bit jumpy. Or perhaps you just miss Nanami.”

“I certainly do miss her!” agrees Riku. “Maybe you are right. Well, thank you for listening to me, Petty Officer. I’d better get back to work.” Taiki watches him depart and then heads for the radar room. He is not on duty but wants to see what the approaching ships look like on the display.

---

Taiki had not planned on leaving the ship. He is still fascinated by the new radar equipment and is busy training with it and learning everything about it he can. But when Lieutenant Kuwaki offers him a chance to accompany him ashore that afternoon he acts on impulse and takes it.

The drab new military structures dispersed around the harbor do not offer much in the way of sightseeing and the facilities are pretty utilitarian. While he waits for the lieutenant Taiki strikes up a conversation with a petty officer from the dock force. The two swap stories for a while and then Taiki, remembering his conversation with Riku that morning, asks him if he is worried about an enemy invasion.

“The enemy will not have an easy time if they want to come here,” the man tells him. “The only real beaches are very small. The island is all cliffs and ridges, ideal for defense. The harbor itself is protected by concealed batteries.” He points inland. “You see that ridge there? And over there? Those are both covered with hidden anti-aircraft emplacements. Any planes trying to bomb the harbor have to run a gauntlet between them. That’s how we shot down nine planes in the attack a couple of weeks ago.”

“It sounds like a good place to defend,” says Taiki.

“Yes, and even the Army might prove useful for a change,” laughs the petty officer. “There are a lot of soldiers here and their commander, General Tachibana, is very savage. His own men fear him more than they fear the enemy.” His smile disappears. “To tell you the truth, he scares me too.”

“Oh?” says Taiki.

The petty officer looks around. “I should not talk about it,” he says, lowering his voice a little. “But one hears things. I don’t know if they are true, and I don’t want to know. Let’s just say he is a good man to avoid.”

“Why?” says Taiki. “What sort of things?” The petty officer just shakes his head.

“I am back on duty soon,” he says. “It has been nice talking to you, Takahashi. Good luck to you and your ship.”

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 11/21/2008 12:07:10 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3734
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 1:02:23 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I think you stole SF'd thunder, Mobeer. 

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3735
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 2:16:59 AM   
Heeward

I thought about saying Long Pig for dinner.... The issue was covered in James Brady's book "Flyboys".

The Wake

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3736
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 2:18:54 AM   
thegreatwent

"Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!"

LOTR Two Towers

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 3737
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 2:43:33 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

I thought about saying Long Pig for dinner.... The issue was covered in James Brady's book "Flyboys".

"Flyboys" was in fact my source material for this bit. I will post more tomorrow...it's interesting stuff, I think you guys are going to just eat it up...

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 3738
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 3:06:18 AM   
Marc gto

cant wait :)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3739
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 3:25:39 AM   
kaleun

quote:

I read it too. It was awesome, and thought provoking.
Makes you think, it was different back then.
Sobering thoughts.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 3740
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/20/2008 8:21:08 AM   
Alikchi2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

...it's interesting stuff, I think you guys are going to just eat it up...

*wince*

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3741
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 12:17:25 AM   
Cuttlefish

September 29, 1944

---

The task force, now comprising a heavy cruiser, a light cruiser, and nine destroyers, remains idle at Chichi Jima. Saipan reports that they have received no transmissions from the island for two days, so it has to be assumed that the garrison there has been destroyed. Recon flights show a large number of enemy transports there, well covered by battleship and cruiser forces. There is no sign of enemy carriers but they could be lurking in the area.

---

In the petty officer’s wardroom Taiki mentions to Shun the strange conversations he and Riku have had with base personnel. Shun nods fractionally.

“There is a strange feeling to the place,” he says. “I felt it while ashore.”

“What do you think is going on?” Taiki asks.

Shun looks at him impassively. “Don’t ask too many questions,” he says. “You might not like the answers. It’s not our business, anyway.”

“But aren’t you even curious?” Taiki asks him.

“No,” says Shun. This effectively kills the conversation for the moment. Taiki sits at the table, staring into space, his fingers drumming quietly on the table. Shun reads a newspaper.

“Black market dealing on a large scale?” says Taiki after a while. “Maybe this General Tachibana has been serving his men rats or something and selling the good rations. Or maybe…”

Shun just looks up at him and Taiki trails off. After a moment Shun sighs and sets aside the newspaper.

“Come on,” he says, standing up.

“Where are we going?” says Taiki.

“Ashore.”

---

Shun stands impassively as Taiki throws up into some bushes beside the road.

“Finished?” asks the chief as Taiki rejoins him. Taiki nods once.

“I think so,” he says. His face is pale and strained. Behind them they have left one of the base’s cooks, a friendly fellow who did not really start talking until he got well and truly drunk. Then he would not stop talking, even though there came a point where Taiki desperately wanted him to. The man finally passed out, bringing a merciful end to his tale. It is possible, Taiki thinks, that the man will not even remember talking to them.

“You were right, Chief,” he tells Shun. “I should have left it alone. It’s an abomination! We have to tell Captain Ishii, we have to…” He stops as Shun’s hand comes down on his forearm with a grip of iron.

“You will not tell the Captain,” says Shun. His gaze catches and holds Taiki. “You will not tell anyone. I have known Captain Ishii for many years. I know exactly what will happen if he hears of this. He will confront the general directly. And it will not end well for him, whatever happens. For his sake, you will remain silent.”

Taiki gazes back at Shun for a long moment, then he looks down. “All right,” he says. He wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. “I should have listened to you, Chief. I should have let it go.”

Shun releases his arm. “Too late for that,” he says. “What matters now is how you deal with knowing.”

Taiki groans. “How could they, Chief?” he asks. “How could anyone?”

“You are a rational man,” says Shun. “You do not understand, maybe, the savagery men are capable of. I think it’s likely that Tachibana is insane. As for the others, let me ask you this: if Captain Ishii gave you a direct order to take part in such a feast, would you do it?” Taiki looks at him for a long moment.

“I see what you mean,” he says. “It would be very hard to refuse. But…no, Chief, I wouldn’t.”

Shun nods in agreement. “There is strength in you,” he says. “Not everyone has that. You have learned a lot, Takahashi, but you still need to learn this: if you expect the worst from men they will seldom disappoint you.”

Something deep within Taiki rebels against such a cynical judgment but he says nothing. At the moment, in fact, he is inclined to agree with his mentor. He does not speak on the return trip to Hibiki and does not look back at the island.

---

Historical Note: General Yoshio Tachibana was executed in 1946, along with several members of his staff, for war crimes related to the murder of several captured American pilots. Tachibana, a brutal and sadistic alcoholic, appears to have been a head case even by Japanese standards of the time. Accounts contradict each other to some extent but it seems clear that between August 1944 and March 1945 Tachibana executed at least four captured pilots and had their livers served to himself and his senior officers. Other atrocities may also have been committed.

George H.W. Bush, the future forty-first president of the United States, was shot down while attacking Chichi Jima but escaped this fate when he was rescued by submarine Finback.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3742
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 3:27:50 AM   
Marc gto

wow that hit like a ton of bricks

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3743
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 3:29:16 AM   
vettim89

Too late to get Nixon involved as he was assigned to ComAirSols throughout the war. Gerald R Fordhowever was aboard CVL Monterey at this point. Just food for thought (ouch, I really didn't intend that pun)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3744
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 2:17:06 PM   
AcePylut

What a delictable, delicious read :)

Thanks Cuttle, this cannibalism is something I never knew, but now I do.  Great story... I hope you realize you've created a story that will last forever on Matrix.  10 years from now, 20 years from now, I guarantee there will still be references to the "voyage of the hibiki" on these here forums.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3745
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 7:30:31 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Too late to get Nixon involved as he was assigned to ComAirSols throughout the war. Gerald R Fordhowever was aboard CVL Monterey at this point. Just food for thought (ouch, I really didn't intend that pun)

Well, I haven't really involved George H.W. Bush in the story, I just pointed out that historically he came close to being one of Tachibana's victims. Food for thought indeed!

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3746
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 7:32:38 PM   
Cuttlefish

September 30, 1944

---

From the personal diary of Petty Officer First Class Taiki Takahashi:

I did not sleep much last night. As I lay awake I thought of that British pilot we rescued in the early days of the war. It was obvious at the time that Captain Ishii delayed turning him over to the kempei and when we were hit by that bomb I suspected that Lieutenant Miharu allowed him to escape. I always wondered why. Now I know.

All my life I have been taught to serve and to obey. I have never doubted that this war was just, because I knew we were fighting to save Japan from enemies who wished to destroy us. If I thought about it at all I believed that they hated us because we were Asian and that they did not want us to take our rightful place among the world’s powers.

I learned a long time ago that the Americans and the British are not the savage demons that we say they are. What I did not suspect was that there are really are demons – and that they wear the same uniform I do.

I do not know what to do now. Do I keep silent? If I do, am I really any better than those who do these evil things? Do I speak out? Shun says no one will listen if I do and it will only cause grief for me and for the captain. And he does not say so but I think it might cause trouble for Sayumi as well.

I used to think that if I stayed to the path of honor that honor would be my guide when decisions became hard. Now I think perhaps that I was young and foolish. Maybe there is no honor. Or maybe there are times when honor is useless. I do not know.

I wish I knew what to do.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3747
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 7:39:01 PM   
tocaff

Nothing worse than realizing that there are monsters, especially when they're your own countrymen.  It shakes the very foundation of everything you were taught that is right & decent.

Excellent CF.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3748
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 8:16:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Accounts contradict each other to some extent but it seems clear that between August 1944 and March 1945 Tachibana executed at least four captured pilots and had their livers served to himself and his senior officers. Other atrocities may also have been committed.

George H.W. Bush, the future forty-first president of the United States, was shot down while attacking Chichi Jima but escaped this fate when he was rescued by submarine Finback.

Double wow. I hadn't put those two historical tidbits together.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3749
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/21/2008 8:32:23 PM   
John 3rd

The incedent involving President Bush fundamentaly shaped his future life.

CF---as always...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3750
Page:   <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI