Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker 1.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.4 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 10/31/2008 5:04:05 AM   
mikemike

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

MikeMike, you must think I got my degree from a Corn Flake packet ... with the number of times you have posted about this ...

Damian, I feel for you. After more than two decades of software development, I've had my full share of bug fixes that mysteriously disappear on the way from developer test to release version, and stranger things have happened than the folks building the release package mistakenly compiling the wrong source version. Would you believe that an outfit that shipped source code to customers included code that had never compiled successfully?

Two of the Murpyisms I've always found to be worryingly true are

- bugs that are obvious are usually hellishly difficult to squash
- if a program seems to run correctly on the first try, it probably hides a subtle but serious bug somewhere that never surfaces in testing but brings the application to a screaming halt first day in production.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 691
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/2/2008 4:54:04 PM   
Crimguy

Minor request - On the bases page, sorting by VP's doesn't work properly.  Any way to fix?

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 692
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/3/2008 2:09:23 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Minor request - On the bases page, sorting by VP's doesn't work properly.  Any way to fix?

Yes, I'll get Floyd to look at it when he returns from his holiday.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 693
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/3/2008 10:42:54 AM   
Matto

Found a possible bug ... playing WitP CHS from witpdtracker version 1.3.1 ... now updated to 1.4.0 and it looks, that history of pool of a/c is do not updated or wrong updated ...

Attachment (1)

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 694
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/3/2008 12:24:58 PM   
n01487477

Yes Matto,
I found that ... it is my mistake ... sorry, I'll fix it very soon, with an interim release, maybe in a few weeks.
Sorry for creating problems, when none existed before.

Damian

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 695
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/3/2008 12:50:43 PM   
Matto

No problem ... 
Thanks for your work !

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 696
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/4/2008 10:02:05 AM   
Nemo121

Damian, got it working by deleting the old db files and just letting it generate everything afresh.

Couple of things which I think would be doable and add a lot to the utility of tracker...

1. I've been looking through my ship ugrades and I'm trying to see if a particular CA upgrade is worth it.... basically an IJN player has the option of upgrading a single Mogami class ship to a CS in June 1942. All of the other Mogami class ships upgrade in October 1942 to just remain standard CAs with their standard gun armaments.

Anyways the Mogami June upgrade used to be a dead end. Once it was done there was no way of going back ( I've fixed that in order to allow it to upgrade to the "normal" CA in October 42 ) so what I think would be wonderful is if we could have the option of seeing what the NEXT upgrade would do. E.g See what happens with the June 42 upgrade is it currently is but also have the option of seeing what happens at the NEXT upgrade after the June 42 one.

2. Would it be possible to show a comparison of pre and post-upgrade speed, class type capacity, radars, AAA, ASW and gun power? Sometimes I'm not really sure if an upgrade is worth it or not. Sure it seems to give me radar but sometimes I'd rather keep the guns and wait for the upgrade after the current one.

E.g. In my mod the Minekaze APD becomes a DD but I think it loses a fair bit of AAA power in doing so. It'd be nice to be sure about this one way or the other before I let a whole class upgrade.

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 697
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/4/2008 11:10:44 AM   
n01487477

Nemo,
I think this is doable, and would certainly make the upgrade screen more useful. Especially getting a rating on AA/ASW etc.

The Ship Class screen does show all the upgrades (without ratings ... which would be a good addition here too), but I get your point about seeing multiple upgrades. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ship upgrades take a linear path and if you miss one, you must do the first upgrade before the second ... right ?

The ship upgrade area is Floyd's but I'm sure he will take note of it and maybe he can look at it after his holidays.

I was thinking that I won't do the Mogami upgrade, but I'm glad to hear that a new version, would allow other upgrades.

Cheers, I'll get a turn to you soon

Damian

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 11/4/2008 11:11:33 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 698
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/4/2008 12:48:44 PM   
Nemo121

Aye, the ship upgrades follow a linear path and you have to get the 1st before you can do the 2nd BUT if you are in Osaka and you are due your 2nd upgrade simply waiting 3 or 4 days for sys damage to be repaired after the first upgrade should allow you to get the 2nd.

Turn: Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 699
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/5/2008 6:06:16 PM   
scout1

Just upgraded to v1.4 ....

Terrific tool ! Couple of questions/items......

1) When I have upgraded, I lose my previous turn history from previous version that I was running. Is this expected ? If not, how do I import "old" turns (all under the same game turn file, just over time) and if not, could this feature be added ?
2) With the latest turn I got all my LCU's that arrived as arriving at an unknown location ? .....

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 700
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 11/6/2008 7:34:51 AM   
n01487477

quote:

1) When I have upgraded, I lose my previous turn history from previous version that I was running. Is this expected ? If not, how do I import "old" turns (all under the same game turn file, just over time) and if not, could this feature be added ?

The DB is upgradeable, you should not lose any old information if you do what I suggest below.

quote:

From a previous post but for your convenience ...

quote:

OPTION 1
And remember to back up the old tracker, at least until you have the new one working correctly.
What I do is:
1. Download the new version.
2. Unzip to a new location.
3. Copy files (shown in the pic) + the last save file.
4. Start the new Tracker and see if it is working. It will say Upgrading DB.
5. Try to load a new turn.

OPTION 2
Alternatively, you can just copy the new WitpTracker executable jar file into the old working folder and run it ... (of course the witptracker.properties file is slightly different now so you will have to use the new file)

Any problems, drop me a line, and I'll see if I can clear up any probs

quote:

2) With the latest turn I got all my LCU's that arrived as arriving at an unknown location ? .....
Are these units newly produced or are they marching somewhere ? If they are the former, can you tell me what mod / map ...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 701
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 11/6/2008 5:55:33 PM   
Chris21wen

Small error. The Indian command is missing from the LCU HQ drop down list

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 702
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 11/6/2008 9:33:42 PM   
scout1

quote:

quote:

) With the latest turn I got all my LCU's that arrived as arriving at an unknown location ? .....
Are these units newly produced or are they marching somewhere ? If they are the former, can you tell me what mod / map ...

I believe they are new builds. The mod is BigB ...... Don't know if earlier turns did this or not. Just caught my eye with my upgrade to v1.4 and ALL of the LCU's show this ....

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 703
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 11/7/2008 2:36:37 AM   
n01487477

Chris - ok, we'll put it in ...

Scout - sorry should have asked before, can you tell me one units name or post me the screen, and where they actually did appear ...

Sorry for the problem, I actually get the error too sometimes ... we will continue to refine it until it is hopefully solid.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 704
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 3:11:02 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

The program was tracking Sys damage etc already for the repair screen, so yes it was included. I'd like to discuss with Floyd a better way to manage ship carrying planes, so maybe to show the air groups in the display panel ... I agree the device info is really useful. Although frustrating that the engine doesn;t reinforce more quickly. Otherwise it would also be nice to track where devices go each turn, without searching each one... maybe a colour indicator could make this easier.

Yes, that'd be useful for some. Personnaly, I only look on several turns, to get an idea about the speed at which the LCU reinforces. But green/red arrows, like everywhere else, would be a good way to do it. I find those arrows make the tables easier to understand than simply colouring the number or the background.

And I fully agree with the display of the carrier air groups. As for the history, it's not only damage, but also Endurance that pleasantly surprised me.

Not sure what kind of display you mean for where the devices are going to. Do you mean on the Current Usage table to also show how the count changed (increase or decrease)? Then you can check how each LCU changed turn-by-turn in its' history. Or something else...?

As for ships, we've tracked almost everything that can change from turn-to-turn, just didn't display it all until now.

quote:

quote:

I'll have a look and see if there are similar problems, but we often *1000 before rendering down ... but I don't think this is it ... maybe it is a savegame error ... you would be amazed by the errors that occur.

I am already. I'm becoming quite the philosopher there...
The numbers shown are probably depicting the proportion of elements non-disabled compared to the total number of elements in the unit. And as there's no TOE attached to the unit, it doesn't scale down to a base-100.
I'm 99% sure it's a problem with the savegame, but I won't be able to reunite those subunits for a month (game-time, a big week RL) to be sure. And these are the only ones to have that problem, while I've split numerous chinese corps.

I don't scale the LCU device counts, so that can't be it. Something else must be going on. I may need save files or database files to figure this out.

quote:

quote:

I thought we do a history of the global planes lost in the victory pts panel(Totals), and an individual model history in the plane production area but I've just noticed that the plane histories are not working properly for 1.4 but did for 1.3.1 ... I'll need to fix this for the next release, I believe that we tried to fix something else here and caused another problem ...

When I mentionned "total", I meant "totals split as ground, A2A, flak & ops losses totals". IIRC (I'm at work currently - or rather, in my office, since work, hum...), the VP panel shows only the "total-total" number. Msuggestion was more about a table showing how many planes were lost that turn (say turn X), than showing the total number of planes lost from turns 1 to X (which is what VP panel shows).

I do show the per-turn loss for the day ("J Day Air" and "A Day Air") and then a running sum ("J Air Loss" and "A Air Loss").

quote:

And thanks for always giving good suggestions and using good net etiquette ...

Thank you, I try to help.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 705
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 3:13:13 AM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Yes, I'll get Floyd to look at it when he returns from his holiday.

The program sorts it as a string, so I'd need a specialized routine for it...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 706
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 3:14:54 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Damian, got it working by deleting the old db files and just letting it generate everything afresh.

Couple of things which I think would be doable and add a lot to the utility of tracker...

1. I've been looking through my ship ugrades and I'm trying to see if a particular CA upgrade is worth it.... basically an IJN player has the option of upgrading a single Mogami class ship to a CS in June 1942. All of the other Mogami class ships upgrade in October 1942 to just remain standard CAs with their standard gun armaments.

Anyways the Mogami June upgrade used to be a dead end. Once it was done there was no way of going back ( I've fixed that in order to allow it to upgrade to the "normal" CA in October 42 ) so what I think would be wonderful is if we could have the option of seeing what the NEXT upgrade would do. E.g See what happens with the June 42 upgrade is it currently is but also have the option of seeing what happens at the NEXT upgrade after the June 42 one.

2. Would it be possible to show a comparison of pre and post-upgrade speed, class type capacity, radars, AAA, ASW and gun power? Sometimes I'm not really sure if an upgrade is worth it or not. Sure it seems to give me radar but sometimes I'd rather keep the guns and wait for the upgrade after the current one.

E.g. In my mod the Minekaze APD becomes a DD but I think it loses a fair bit of AAA power in doing so. It'd be nice to be sure about this one way or the other before I let a whole class upgrade.

Good idea. I'll add that to my list.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 707
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 11/14/2008 3:19:26 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Small error. The Indian command is missing from the LCU HQ drop down list

I only show HQ that an LCU can be assigned to ("top-level" HQ).

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 708
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 3:30:08 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Just upgraded to v1.4 ....

Terrific tool ! Couple of questions/items......

Importing old turns is not easy, since a lot of the data is computed as a difference between two turns. If you insert a turn in the middle of that, this could cascade several turns' information. Headache just thinking about that...

Yeah, for the LCU arrival, it seems that I never put the real base in there... On my list.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 709
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 3:59:00 AM   
Nomad

nothing

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 710
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 7:26:45 AM   
Ambassador

Hi Floyd, had nice holidays ?

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Not sure what kind of display you mean for where the devices are going to. Do you mean on the Current Usage table to also show how the count changed (increase or decrease)? Then you can check how each LCU changed turn-by-turn in its' history. Or something else...?

I'm not sure either. I must have been tired at the time, for I don't know what I actually meant there. But your understanding of my suggestion is fine for me. However, there would be the problem of the device-count changing due to other reasons (splitting the LCU for transport, battle casualties, etc). This might not be as helpful as I thought at first.

quote:

I don't scale the LCU device counts, so that can't be it. Something else must be going on. I may need save files or database files to figure this out.

And that's where I say "ooops", because while trying to put the saves and database in a separate folder for archiving when I started a new game last week, I lost the files (damned Vista).
Anyway, I'll be on the look-out for that problem, I'll be ready to pounce on it when/if it appears again.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 711
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/14/2008 1:26:12 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador
Hi Floyd, had nice holidays ?

Yes, it was okay. I had lots of mother-in-law jokes running through my head, but we'll just leave things as me being glad she lives 6700+ miles away.

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure either. I must have been tired at the time, for I don't know what I actually meant there. But your understanding of my suggestion is fine for me. However, there would be the problem of the device-count changing due to other reasons (splitting the LCU for transport, battle casualties, etc). This might not be as helpful as I thought at first.

It may not be so bad to see when you lose devices as well, but the splitting/merging will also show up. Maybe not that bad, since it's probably not happening every turn to each LCU.

quote:

quote:

And that's where I say "ooops", because while trying to put the saves and database in a separate folder for archiving when I started a new game last week, I lost the files (damned Vista).
Anyway, I'll be on the look-out for that problem, I'll be ready to pounce on it when/if it appears again.

Okay, thanks. I did see things like that show up when I was testing, but it wasn't often and I attributed it to other things I was doing at the same time. Could be something that slipped through...

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 712
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/22/2008 11:54:20 PM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Good idea. I'll add that to my list.

In addition to the line-by-line information shown in the Ship Upgrades when you select a ship, I added an attribute-by-attribute comparison pop-up as such:

Is that what you were looking for?

Floyd

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 713
RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/23/2008 9:46:10 AM   
n01487477

Floyd,
that looks great ...

• I think Nemo was also talking about seeing multiple upgrades, not just the next. Not sure how this can be done well...side by side obviously only gives two, maybe 3 side by side is needed or a button to advance the left and right display by one upgrade ??
  • I'd also like to see total ASW rating and AA rating in that comparison if not too much trouble.

I've fixed the air & ship production, and am working on some new data points, plus some other things I'll email you about... In two-three weeks I swing back to holiday mode ... then I'll clear up my to-do list.

Cheers
    Damian

(in reply to floydg)
  • Post #: 714
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/25/2008 11:42:33 PM   
    floydg

Okay, I added ASW and AA ratings:

I'll look at the first point, but I'm not confident that I can do something usable... ideas are welcome.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 715
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/26/2008 6:16:20 PM   
    Thesix

quote:

Okay, I added ASW and AA ratings:
    I'll look at the first point, but I'm not confident that I can do something usable... ideas are welcome.

I liked already the ship upgrade screen and it's really great now.
    Personally, I don't really need the comparison with following upgrades.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 716
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/27/2008 1:00:53 AM   
    floydg

Okay, hacked around a little more and came up with this:

The top has a menu which lets you choose:
    - current compared to next upgrade
    - current compared to next-next upgrade
    - next compared to next-next upgrade

The last two options are only shown if the next upgrade has an upgrade.

Comments?

(in reply to Thesix)
    Post #: 717
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/28/2008 8:34:57 AM   
    Micke II

Actually I  am using WiTP Tracker in my 2 current games and its works fine.  Without these tool at least the japanese player is missing something. It's like he is playing with only one leg or in semi blindness.
    Nevertheless could I suggest some improvements to get even more accurate informations:
    Will it be possible to create a new window with informations concerning the flow of replacement going in the LCU ?
    It will be very useful to know at a glance where exactly the replacements are going for a specific turn.
    Concerning the airplane R and D would it it be possible to know how many prototypes have been built for a specific model ?
    And 3rd suggestion, in the air production window would it be possible by clicking on the line concerning a specific plane to have a picture of this plane appearing on the screen ?
    I am aware that this new development could be very time consuming to implement.
    So thanks in advance if you can consider this request, and again all my congratulations for all the efforts you have already made.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 718
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/28/2008 9:22:54 AM   
    n01487477

Thanks Micke II,

quote:

Will it be possible to create a new window with informations concerning the flow of replacement going in the LCU ?

I defer to Floyd, but I think he is considering it ...

quote:

Concerning the airplane R and D would it it be possible to know how many prototypes have been built for a specific model ?
    I know Floyd and I do not want to show information that can not be shown in the game, and secondly, I'm not sure if/where the savefile has this information ... but for reason of experimentation and personal curiosity I'll have a look ...

quote:

And 3rd suggestion, in the air production window would it be possible by clicking on the line concerning a specific plane to have a picture of this plane appearing on the screen ?

I guess if I can find the room, I will try to do this, it isn't much work, just a matter of room. Or do you mean below in the sub-panel or maybe above ?

Cheers
    Damian

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 11/28/2008 9:24:11 AM >

(in reply to Micke II)
    Post #: 719
    RE: WitPTracker 1.4 - 11/28/2008 9:39:56 AM   
    Micke II

quote:

quote:

I guess if I can find the room, I will try to do this, it isn't much work, just a matter of room. Or do you mean below in the sub-panel or maybe above ?

Cheers
    Damian

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Concerning the picture it could be the same system which is used for the naval production. When you click on the line of a ship you get the photo or picture, depending on the mod you are using, below.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 720
    Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.4 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI