Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/26/2008 3:03:14 PM   
SeanD

The spirits of wargaming past, present and future are coming to your door with lots of great deals!

With a bundle of discounts on strategy games, Matrix Games is spreading holiday joy by announcing their 2008 Holiday Sale Event! This is set to be the largest Holiday sale Matrix Games has ever had, with more games on sale than ever and the largest discounts to date! Starting on the morning of November 26th through midnight on January 7th, gamers around the globe will be able to purchase almost every title in the Matrix Games catalog at up to 30% off! Only games released in the past six months or those already priced at $19.99 and below are excluded. Every other game is part of the 2008 Holiday Sale!

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This is about as close as I can get to coming to your house in a Santa Claus suit! We’ve never had a Holiday Sale cover this many titles and at this great a discount before - there’s never been a better opportunity to stock up on our games. Don’t snooze through it and miss these great savings! Our Game on Demand boxed copy is a perfect present for your favorite wargamer – it comes shrink wrapped and our Standard editions include a printed manual… it’s also quite easy to gift wrap!”

Looking for an extra few stocking stuffers for the extended family? Strategy gamers will love you for getting them titles like Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States, Panzer Command: Kharkov or Advanced Tactics: World War II. Sports fans would be delighted to find PureSim Baseball or Maximum Football v2 wrapped and ready to play under their Christmas tree. Why not stay in touch with gamer friends and family through play by email gaming (PBEM)? Matrix Games offers a wide selection of titles that support PBEM as well as TCP/IP play which give players a convenient and easy way to connect through gaming with distant family and old friends. Try some of our newest releases like Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein, Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets, Commander: Napoleon at War or classics like The Operational Art of War III to catch up with that uncle or buddy who lives halfway across the country while pummeling him with your Panzers at the same time! It’s the best of both worlds, not to mention bragging rights for next year…

Click here for a full list of the games on sale this year, with discounts listed based on the digital download price.

And remember, if you’re a last minute shopper, there’s nothing more convenient than our digital downloads, which allow you to immediately receive your purchase (if you’re giving a download as a gift, you can either burn the downloaded file to a CD along with the serial number or just give the order receipt as a gift certificate and the recipient can download the game themselves by using our store download service at www.findmyorder.com).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

< Message edited by SeanD -- 11/26/2008 3:07:25 PM >

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/26/2008 6:35:22 PM   
MikeBrough

Guys, you've done it again - same as last year. Looks like you've rolled the sale and the exchange rate changes together. So UK prices are pretty much unchanged. Grrrr.

TOAW is £1 cheaper than yesterday, Across the Dnepr is £2 more. Don't think I'll bother.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/26/2008 7:29:24 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough

Guys, you've done it again - same as last year. Looks like you've rolled the sale and the exchange rate changes together. So UK prices are pretty much unchanged. Grrrr.

I was just thinking that. Ho, ho, ho... it's off to amazon.co.uk I go...

You are going to have to reconsider the exchange rate shadowing policy IMHO. If I bought a box copy of, say, Kharkov DotD I'd get no change from fifty quid. That would get me two full price releases from any UK online retailer (P&P included); people here just aren't going to pay that.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/26/2008 7:33:48 PM >

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/26/2008 8:21:58 PM   
mllange

Grrr... no War Between the States in the sale - the only Matrix game I was waiting to purchase that I don't already own. Guess I'll wait until next year.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:16:29 AM   
SuluSea

Great news!!!! Thanks Matrix!   

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:25:26 AM   
Gem35

Wow, very nice prices. Thank you Matrix Games.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:50:04 AM   
Erik Rutins

Guys, 30% is our deepest holiday sale discount ever. Those grumbling about exchange rates, you should probably thank us instead that we kept the old rates as long as we did. You can't really expect us to not update our currency exchange rates periodically.

UK prices for example are already affordable compared to many retail PC games, the sale prices keep things quite a bargain for you through January 7th.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:51:07 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or Grrr... no War Between the States in the sale - the only Matrix game I was waiting to purchase that I don't already own. Guess I'll wait until next year.

I hear you, that one just missed the cut as it was released in June. However, it's well worth the full price if you can't wait.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 6:42:05 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins UK prices for example are already affordable compared to many retail PC games, the sale prices keep things quite a bargain for you through January 7th.

Regards,

- Erik
Sorry, Erik, I have to disagree. You most recent releases are much more expensive than most retail PC games, appearing to average out between £33.99 (CC:WaR) and £39.99 (CNAW). Adding VAT pushes those prices over the £40 mark.

The vast majority of off-the-shelf game in the UK's chainstores cost around £30 (inc VAT) and you can usually beat the shelf prices by shopping around. Buying from Amazon knocks at least 20% off those prices.

So, as Hertson says, I can buy 2 or more triple-A titles for the cost of one of your newer releases.

I understand that it's a niche market but, at these prices, it's going to stay that way in the UK. And the irony of claiming that you're holding a sale when the prices are actually going up...

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 9:39:22 AM   
Adam Parker

Yes, doing e-business with the US right now is very bad. It's definitely going to impact the US balance of trade and hit a lot of businesses small and large, wishing to sell to overseas customers very hard.   As for the sale, thanks for the gesture but a lot of those games are still very bugged or either very old now. I was actually hoping for CC Wacht Am Rhine - a very risky purchase at full price right now given major hardware issues and bugs - but it isn't there. Yes, I would have bought it if so. At $61 AUD? Forget it!    I would have also bought the JT Campaign Series just to have it in an all in one package but then I read about the still bugged Dynamic Campaigns and of motor cycles towing 88's  Ah well, a PC game-free Christmas shopping season. Who'da thunk it?

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 10:51:57 AM   
Marc von Martial

I just think we should stop doing sale specials and adjusting currency conversion at all (like many many other publishers) then people actually have a reason to bitch.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 11:39:33 AM   
Adam Parker

Deleted by me.

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 11/27/2008 11:40:42 AM >

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 12
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 12:35:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

What I find remarkable is that the currency conversion rates aren't even back to what they were for most of Matrix's history yet. The recent very favorable rates were also very unusual historically, basically a "blip" of sorts. Did you guys have major problems with our pricing before the dollar dropped drastically? It seems to me that some stabilization had to be expected.

I just don't understand the reason to complain, vis a vis historical wargame pricing. We were going to have to update the currency conversion eventually. We took longer than we should have to do that, frankly, so you were getting quite a deal there for a while. Then we updated them at the same time as we announced our biggest sale ever, so in effect you're still getting quite a deal, yet the complaint is that we didn't give you 30% off on top of currency conversion rates that have been out of date for months?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 13
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 1:30:32 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins yet the complaint is that we didn't give you 30% off on top of currency conversion rates that have been out of date for months?

Who said complaints had to be rational to start with ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 14
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 1:36:55 PM   
Adam Parker

Just a general reply re e-business Erik but yes the low US dollar definitely generated more business form me to the US than now. I'd buy 5 books a month from Amazon, now nil.   As for Matrix, your games are so risky lately that the low dollar let me cut that danger sharply. What I bought, I did so on a whim - GG's War Between the States. What I didn't like I wrote off... Combat Commander Napoleon. Same for Stardock's Political Machine - crap but cheap crap. I wouldn't buy GG's WBtS now.   $61 AUD for your CC Wacht Am Rhine digital download is going to buy me a nice GMT board game and a Lock n' Load Expansion this weekend. Sorry. Too much risk and not enough value.   Your SSG prices have always made them too risky for me. $53 AUD for the now old and defunct Battlefront digital download? You gotta be kidding! It's $60 in my local store right now with a manual - and it hasn't sold for months.   Guys it's called Elasticity of Demand - you set your prices where you want, raise them how you want. At some point demand will stall. It's not bitching Marc. It's shopping thanks very much. Man, your comment makes me fume.

Post #: 15
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:16:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Adam,

Look at it from a different point of view. Our prices for some customers, as a result of the currency conversion and sale happening at the same time (they had to, as we were updating prices store-wide for the sale), either went down slightly or stayed the same. In no case did prices go up, yet we have complaints. The complaints center around the currency conversion, which is something that in a perfect world would be updated every day. The net result however is that at least until January 7th, we did not make our games any more expensive for you. I fail therefore to see how it could possibly have changed your purchase decisions.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 16
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:16:58 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker $61 AUD for your CC Wacht Am Rhine digital download is going to buy me a nice GMT board game and a Lock n' Load Expansion this weekend.

Got to ask. Since Lock 'n Load expansion are somewhere around $30 and GMT games around $50-$60, no S&H included - I wonder where I can get a dual package like that send to my home for $61AUD or $40.

TIA

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 17
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:18:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker $61 AUD for your CC Wacht Am Rhine digital download is going to buy me a nice GMT board game and a Lock n' Load Expansion this weekend. Sorry. Too much risk and not enough value.

How much is a GMT board game down there? Over here it's about the same price or higher than one of our PC wargames. CC WAR is not part of the holiday sale as a new release, nor should its price have changed substantially, given that it was released recently and priced at the conversion rates at release (as all new releases are). So again I'm not sure how this changed your purchasing decision?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 18
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:30:28 PM   
thegreatwent

Thanks Matrix I now have some new items on my wish list. In terms of the cranks, don't let it get to you Grognards are "grumblers" by nature.

Post #: 19
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:35:23 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker Guys it's called Elasticity of Demand - you set your prices where you want, raise them how you want. At some point demand will stall. It's not bitching Marc. It's shopping thanks very much. Man, your comment makes me fume.

If you think our games are too expensive for you in general then that is fair enough and fine. It is your decission as a customer were you put your money. If you think you get more value of a GMT game then out of CCWAR, fine and fair also, everybody has his preferences. I have to value my shopping too :)

My comments was completely aimed at the comments about the currency conversion and the holiday sale. Nothing more. I wonder how you made the connection to our general pricing when I clearly mentioned currency conversion and special sales?

Also GMT Boardgame + LNL module is pretty broad statement. Totally depends what you buy over there. So what do you get at GMT and LNLP for the $61 AUD?

Post #: 20
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:38:10 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins In no case did prices go up, yet we have complaints.

This is exactly the point.

Post #: 21
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 2:56:27 PM   
Gem35

Raise your prices matrix, we still will buy these great games. If you can't afford to play video games , maybe some of you need to either get a second method of income or marry a rich lady.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 22
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 4:11:58 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

In no case did prices go up, yet we have complaints. - Erik

Wrong, I'm afraid. Random example, first entry on th WW II page, Across the Dnepr is now £10.99 for DD and it was previously £8.99.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Post #: 23
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 4:23:23 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Raise your prices matrix, we still will buy these great games.

Sycophantic toady. Oops, forgot my smiley. Obviously money is no object for some.

quote:

If you can't afford to play video games , maybe some of you need to either get a second method of income or marry a rich lady.

I'll continue to buy computer games, probably not so many Matrix games, though. Most other publishers recognise that the average UK gameplayer isn't as well-off as their average US equivalent and adjust prices downwards. I believe Matrix do the same in Poland. But the UK£ prices (pre-tax) are actually higher than the US$ prices. Go figure.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 24
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 4:26:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough Wrong, I'm afraid. Random example, first entry on th WW II page, Across the Dnepr is now £10.99 for DD and it was previously £8.99.

Good point - the titles that were NOT in the holiday sale (either because they were already $19.99 or less or because they were released in the last six months) are relatively more expensive due to the updated currency conversion.

In any case though, I think I've explained why I was surprised at the negative comments in response to our biggest sale ever, since for 90% of our products, even if you had a currency conversion rate change, the price either stayed the same or went down. If we hadn't held this sale, the price would have gone up 30% then! I mean, if you've been ordering anything else that's converted from US dollars, you would already have been paying higher conversion rates for a few months. I guess for you guys, this ended up being an announcement that the "ongoing sale" you've been enjoying due to us being slow to update the conversion rates will eventually end come January, but really how could expect it not to? I just don't see how we are realistically expected to not update our currency conversion rates.

The conversion rates are also still lower than they've been for most of our history as a company, so again I guess I just don't see how this would get _me_ worked up and thus I don't understand why other folks are getting worked up about it. International currency conversion rates are entirely out of our control or your control. It's like being disappointed that there's also inflation every year (speaking of which, have any of you noticed that PC wargame prices have NOT gone up with inflation since the 80s?).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 25
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 4:33:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough I'll continue to buy computer games, probably not so many Matrix games, though. Most other publishers recognise that the average UK gameplayer isn't as well-off as their average US equivalent and adjust prices downwards. I believe Matrix do the same in Poland. But the UK£ prices (pre-tax) are actually higher than the US$ prices. Go figure.

Ok, this is starting to get ridiculous. Who adjusts their UK prices downward? Every mainstream company I've dealt with in gaming does not do this? Poland was a one-time experiment for us and frankly, it was not a success as far as the bottom line goes, though I'm glad some Polish wargamers got access to our games. Are you seriously comparing the UK to Poland in terms of per capita income?

Also, we do a straight currency conversion to UK pounds, the only "rounding" that happens is based on getting to XX.99, which should be trivial. You're giving the impression that we're somehow trying to gouge UK customers which astounds me. We've always been fair in pricing our games to customers around the world at exactly the same price as the US price, just converted based on current currency rates.

What do you think happens when you buy a game from us in the UK? Your payment gets converted through those same conversion rates (after your government takes out their taxes and DR takes their cut) and what's left in dollars is what we get to share with our developer. It's simply the way the world works and how folks can use this as a negative against us is beyond me.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 26
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 4:41:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

I realize I'm probably seeming a bit stubborn on this, so I want to be clear about a few things.

First, we realize times are tough for folks all around the world. We're not exactly exempt from the economy either. Our goal with having our biggest holiday sale EVER was specifically to make the holidays a bit more cheerful by making our games, which are not normally a big expense, still more affordable.

When doing a store-wide price change, we have to take the newest currency conversion rates into account. We can't change what happens with international currency conversion rates, we can only use them. So please take into account that the world is what it is, and in the middle of all that, we're having a huge holiday sale. Anything apart from the 30% discount is really out of our control.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 27
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 5:14:07 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

Ok, this is starting to get ridiculous. Who adjusts their UK prices downward? Every mainstream company I've dealt with in gaming does not do this?

Every distributor selling in the UK does. There's a price point of £29.99 above which they will not go. If that means EA getting fewer dollars per sale given the conversion rate, they live with it. Better a sale with $2 profit than no sale at all.

quote:

Poland was a one-time experiment for us and frankly, it was not a success as far as the bottom line goes, though I'm glad some Polish wargamers got access to our games. Are you seriously comparing the UK to Poland in terms of per capita income?

We've established the principle, now we're haggling over the price.

quote:

Also, we do a straight currency conversion to UK pounds, the only "rounding" that happens is based on getting to XX.99, which should be trivial.

I've selected a few of your more expensive games at random and the US price for DD is $49.99. UK price is £33.99. Gives an exchange rate of £1 = $1.47. All prices are pre-tax. Exchange rates over the past few months only hit 1.47 on 2 days in the last month. 1-month average has been 1.53.

quote:

You're giving the impression that we're somehow trying to gouge UK customers which astounds me. We've always been fair in pricing our games to customers around the world at exactly the same price as the US price, just converted based on current currency rates.

What do you think happens when you buy a game from us in the UK? Your payment gets converted through those same conversion rates (after your government takes out their taxes and DR takes their cut) and what's left in dollars is what we get to share with our developer. It's simply the way the world works and how folks can use this as a negative against us is beyond me.

Regards,

- Erik

I suspect your MI will show UK sales falling off faster than US sales in this depression. Again, would you rather have 3 or 4 sales at a dollar profit each or no sales at all?

I understand your point of view on this but see it from mine - you announce a sale, I check the prices, and they're either static or have gone up!

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Post #: 28
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 6:53:50 PM   
McGlu

I have no complaints about this sale at all. Granted, I am in the US, but I don't see why everyone is so upset about the exchange rate. That's just the way our world economy works. I've been paying way too much for European stuff for quite some time now. It's good to see things swinging the other way.

Thanks for the great promotion! I will definitely be grabbing something!

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 29
RE: Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! - 11/27/2008 7:38:07 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough

quote:

Ok, this is starting to get ridiculous. Who adjusts their UK prices downward? Every mainstream company I've dealt with in gaming does not do this?

Every distributor selling in the UK does. There's a price point of £29.99 above which they will not go. If that means EA getting fewer dollars per sale given the conversion rate, they live with it. Better a sale with $2 profit than no sale at all.

Exactly. I don't know where you get your ideas about the UK market from, Erik, but you need to revise them pronto. Marc is just as bad.. he claimed in another thread that major games publishers sold in the UK on a pound for dollar basis, something he was unable to back-up when challenged; unsurprisingly as it is completely untrue.

I won't speak for anybody else, but I'm not 'grumbling' about exchange rates. I've bought over 20 Matrix games over the last six years and, exchange rate wise, have taken the rough with the smooth. I'm merely explaining that if you believe that

quote:

UK prices for example are already affordable compared to many retail PC games

you are wrong, at least if "affordable" is to be interpreted as "competitively priced with". Your games are not, currently, competitively priced with mainstream releases on sale in the UK, or anything like it. You are sheltered to a significant extent in that, with the exception of the AGEOD stuff, very few 'proper' wargames are available off the shelf, but even so the sort of price differential I described in my last post will inevitably hurt your sales and hence profits, particularly in what is now a confirmed recession. Rather more so, I venture to suggest, than pricing according to market, at least for the duration.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/27/2008 7:40:23 PM >

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Matrix Games Announces the 2008 Holiday Sale! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI