Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

help with scenario design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> help with scenario design Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
help with scenario design - 12/2/2008 1:03:10 PM   
scottthecanuck

Hi

I am trying to find out the number of aircraft in typical squadrons featured in the game. For example I know through research that the 57th FIS of the USAF used F-15C and were based in Keflavik but I can't seem to find any info telling me how many aircraft the squadron had. Likewise for Norwegian F-16 squadrons, US Navy P3 squadrons etc.

Anyone know where to go, I have tried wikipedia (lots of good info but no specifics on numbers) to find out this sort of info. What about Soviet Union....I'm guessing even less info is available there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: help with scenario design - 12/2/2008 1:12:42 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottthecanuck
Hi
I am trying to find out the number of aircraft in typical squadrons featured in the game. For example I know through research that the 57th FIS of the USAF used F-15C and were based in Keflavik but I can't seem to find any info telling me how many aircraft the squadron had.

I believe most USAF F-15 squadrons had 18 aircraft. Confirmed for the 57th FIS here:

http://www.skytrailer.com/57%20FIS.htm

quote:

Likewise for Norwegian F-16 squadrons, US Navy P3 squadrons etc. Anyone know where to go, I have tried wikipedia (lots of good info but no specifics on numbers) to find out this sort of info. What about Soviet Union....I'm guessing even less info is available there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I'm sure you know or have found out, this is a pretty large undertaking. There is no one source which contains all of this information, and most of it (when you can find it at all) has to be assembled from myriad bits and pieces of info spread all over the Web and in hard copy books and periodicals. I'll expect you will have most luck searching for one piece of data at a time.

In the interim, a good source of modern day info for air force squadrons, airbases and organization is Scramble.

< Message edited by CV32 -- 12/2/2008 1:13:02 PM >

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to scottthecanuck)
Post #: 2
RE: help with scenario design - 12/2/2008 3:12:23 PM   
scottthecanuck

Thanks....particulary enjoyed the link to Scramble.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 3
RE: help with scenario design - 12/2/2008 3:28:41 PM   
Shark7

You will also find that no two squadrons are the same. Depending on mission type a squadron can be as few as 2-5 aircraft (USN EW/AEW units) or even up to 24 aircraft for some fighter squadrons. Another example is the old Soviet bomber regiments which tended to be around 27 aircraft (3 squadrons X 9 a/c).

In other words, there is no set number for what constitutes a squadron.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to scottthecanuck)
Post #: 4
RE: help with scenario design - 12/2/2008 5:36:38 PM   
noxious

And never forget that those numbers are somewhat theoretical, in that very rarely are all the planes in a squadron ready for normal duties : peace time numbers with 25%+ of a/c being serviced, etc seems to be a common ratio.
In wartime, possibly even lower after combat losses.

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> help with scenario design Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI