Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 1/26/2008 5:33:13 AM   
AcePylut

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pearl3.htm

On Sunday, December 7th, I was resting, trying to relax from the grind of the past weeks and to free my mind from the concern caused by the very grave tones in which the President dictated Saturdays message. I was rather abstractedly looking at a Sunday paper when the telephone rang and Louise Hackmeister said sharply:

'The President wants you right away. There's a car on the way to pick you up...

"The Japs just bombed Pearl Harbor!"

With no more words and without time for me to make a single remark, she cut off the connection. She had a long list of people to notify. In twenty minutes I was drawing into the White House driveway, already swarming with extra police and an added detail of Secret Service men, with news and radio reporters beginning to stream into the Executive Office wing and State, War and Navy officials hurrying into the House. Hopkins, Knox and Stimson already were with the Boss in his second floor study; Hull and General Marshall arrived a few minutes later.

Most of the news on the Jap attack was then coming to the White House by telephone from Admiral Stark, Chief of Naval Operations, at the Navy Department. It was my job to take these fragmentary and shocking reports from him by shorthand, type them up and relay them to the Boss. I started taking the calls on a telephone in the second floor hall but the noise and confusion were such that I moved into the President's bedroom.

General Watson, Admiral McIntire, Captain Beardall, the Naval Aide, and Marvin McIntyre were on top of me as I picked up each phone call and they followed me as I rushed into Malvina Thompson's tiny office to type each message. All of them crowded over my shoulders as I transcribed each note. The news was shattering. I hope I shall never again experience the anguish and near hysteria of that afternoon.

Coding and decoding operations in Hawaii and in Washington slowed up the transmission. But the news continued to come in, each report more terrible than the last, and I could hear the shocked unbelief in Admiral Stark's voice as he talked to me. At first the men around the President were incredulous; that changed to angry acceptance as new messages supported and amplified the previous ones. The Boss maintained greater outward calm than anybody else but there was rage in his very calmness. With each new message he shook his head grimly and tightened the expression of his mouth.

Within the first thirty or forty minutes a telephone circuit was opened from the White House to Governor Joseph B. Poindexter in Honolulu. The Governor confirmed the disastrous news insofar as he had learned it. In the middle of the conversation he almost shrieked into the phone and the President turned to the group around him to bark grimly:

'My God, there's another wave of Jap planes over Hawaii right this minute.'

Mr. Hull, his face as white as his hair, reported to the Boss that Nomura and Kurusu were waiting to see him at the exact moment the President called to tell him of the bombing. In a tone as cold as ice he repeated what he had told the enemy envoys and there was nothing cold or diplomatic in the words he used. Knox, whose Navy had suffered the worst damage, and Stimson were cross-examined closely on what had happened, on why they believed it could have happened, on what might happen next and on what they could do to repair to some degree the disaster.

Within the first hour it was evident that the Navy was dangerously crippled, that the Army and Air Force were not fully prepared to guarantee safety from further shattering setbacks in the Pacific. It was easy to speculate that a Jap invasion force might be following their air strike at Hawaii - or that the West Coast itself might' be marked for similar assault.

Orders were sent to the full Cabinet to assemble at the White House at 8:30 that evening and for Congressional leaders of both parties to be on hand by 9:00 for a joint conference with the Executive group.

Shortly before 5:00 o'clock the Boss called me to his study. He was alone, seated before his desk on which were two or three neat piles of notes containing the information of the past two hours. The telephone was close by his hand. He was wearing a gray sack jacket and was lighting a cigarette as I entered the room. He took a deep drag and addressed me calmly:

'Sit down, Grace: I'm going before Congress tomorrow. I'd like to dictate my message. It will be short.'

I sat down without a word; it was no time for words other than those to become part of the war effort.

Once more he inhaled deeply, then he began in the same calm tone in which he dictated his mail. Only his diction was a little different as he spoke each word incisively and slowly, carefully specifying each punctuation mark and paragraph.

"The entire message ran under 500 words, a cold-blooded indictment of Japanese treachery and aggression, delivered to me without hesitation, interruption or second thoughts."

(press play): http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrpearlharbor.htm

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 1/26/2008 5:37:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 1/26/2008 6:19:37 AM   
Nomad

Oh goody, the other side of the storey.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 2
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 1/27/2008 7:35:23 AM   
AcePylut

Here's our HR's...

6 ships in ASW TF Max

Night Bombing. City attacks (Manpower only) for non-game designated air units. No restriction on night naval attacks.*

No invasions against hexes that do not contain a dot/base in them.

No bombing empty bases for exp. Bypassed bases with troops on them, sure, bomb them. Empty bases, no. If it does happen (and probably will) just notify in the next email that Base X is empty.

And most important

Play Fair. If ther'e something which seems like an exploit or just plain wrong we'll discuss it and work thru it cause neither of us know the engine well enough. We are playing for fun and having read a lot of WW2 pacific history. If any vet is reading this AAR and notices me doing something that's an exploit, please PM me and let me know if it's an exploit, game bug, or just something considered cheesy by some.

I'll make mistakes, hopefully you do too. After turn 2 though all bets are off (no attacking US CV's on Turn 1)

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 1/27/2008 7:36:25 AM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 1/31/2008 7:23:37 AM   
AcePylut

December 8th, (45 minutes after the speech) President Roosevelt enters a hastily arranged conference room. In the center of the room is a large oaken table covered by a map of the Pacific and Indian Ocean. Sitting quietly around the room are a number of generals, admirals, experts, and aids. Some he knows intimately, some are new. Thoughts of betrayal, death, carnage swiftly enter his mind and are quickly pushed aside as he imagines the horrors to come.

Sliding up to the hastily constructed table, he notices the map is filled with flags, mini-ships, planes, men… as he looks around the room at the assembled “high chiefs of war” (as he affectionately called them), he speaks quietly….

Mr. President: situation report.

Everyone turns and focuses on a lone man sitting at the end of the table. A young man, probably in his late 20s. President Roosevelt raises an eyebrow at this young gentleman, a captain in the US Army, where the next lowest ranking person in the room is a Lt. General. President Roosevelt notices the Signals Intelligence Corps insignia on his arm. This is no ordinary captain, thought the President.

The captain stands up, clears his throat, opens his folder, and pulls out a sheet of paper, and speaks:

Captain: Mr. President, I was requested to provide this briefing. As I hope you understand, the task of determining the scope of this treachery has taken all of my time, and we have not had adequate time to brief all of the cabinet members. I will be as brief and objective as possible. There is a lot to cover, unfortunately. Early Dec 7th, our time, as you know , the Japs launched a coordinated attack throughout the Pacific Rim, attacking multiple military and civilian installations.

First, at Pearl Harbor… we were attacked by approximately 400-500 Japanese Naval aircraft. Such a quantity would require a minimum of 6 heavy carriers. It is reasonable to assume that the entire Japanese carrier fleet – known as the Kido Butai – were involved. The location of what we have termed the “mini-Kido Butai”, consisting of their remaining light and light-heavy carriers is unknown. At Pearl, damage is not as bad as it appears. Yes, all of our battleships are heavily damaged, but none are sunk. Many other ships have also been damaged. They can be repaired to fight again. Yes, our airforce was caught on the ground and many planes were smashed to bits, however, most of our pilots survived and most of the planes lost were obsolete anyways. Better to lose them on the ground, than in the air with a pilot. The airport repairs will take approximately 4 days. But sir, most importantly, they did not damage our oil depot. Had they done that, the damage to our fleet would have been far greater than any damage to the battleships. Since the attack, all planes at Midway and Pearl Harbor were placed on instant search. No invasion fleets have been discovered as of yet, and we have a blanket around PH for 1000 miles in any direction.

Second: Wake Island has been invaded. We still hold the Island, but will lose it shortly as we’re heavily outnumbered with no assets in the area to reinforce this bastion.

Third…

Mr. President: Wait… how many soldiers are on Wake?

Captain: Approximately 600 marines, and 1200 civilian contractors.

Mr. President: 2000 men…. We must do something to help them.

Captain: Sir, two transports have been tasked to evacuate the Island, but it is covered by long range bombers from Japanese bases to the south of Wake. Japanese carriers last known heading was directly for Wake Island. It is my opinion that anything we send to the Island will also be lost. We have little to no strength in the area that can get there in time.

Mr. President (shakes his head, tears up a bit): We will make every attempt to save them. Every attempt.

Captain: Yes Mr. President. Shall I continue? (President nods his head) Third… the Phillipines. The Japs have landed in northern Luzon, Southern Luzon, Mindano. The Japas have already overrun small garrisons at Puerto Princessa and Jolo Island. Before they were overrun, many aircraft spare parts were spotted being unpacked out of shipping crates. The crates were labeled “Fruit and Vegetables”. Our spies in Formosa didn’t think twice. Local coastwatchers also spotted multiple air groups of long range bombers and a many squadrons of this “Zero” aircraft we’ve been hearing rumours about. Our airfield at Clark has been put out of commission and many planes have been lost,without spares to repair them. With no airforce to speak of, General McArthur has ordered all shipping to flee the PI as fast as possible under warplan “Shoot the Chutes”. He has also activated defense plan Triangle-Rubble.

Mr. President: Was he authorized to activate these plans?

Captain: I do not know.

Fourth: Japanese forces have invaded the port of Rabaul in New Guinea, and a small air base under construction at Lea. The local Aussie garrisons are putting up a fierce fight, but will not hold forever. Makin and Tarawa atoll have been invaded.

Mr. President: Wonderful. A couple specks of dirt in the middle of the ocean.

Captain: Yes Mr. President, can I show you what this does. (Points to globe) This forces any shipping heading to Australia to detour another thousand miles south. It adds two weeks to the journey. The Japs can use these to springboard south down the pacific to more island. If they make it to the society Islands, we will have lost all refueling depots. If that happens, all shipping heading to Australia will have to travel across the Atlantic, south around Africa, across the Indian Ocean.

Mr. President: …. (ponders for a minute)… continue…

Captain: Fifth, the Japanese have invaded the north coast of Borneo, and have overrun the major port and airfield at Brunei. They are now in complete control of the seas and skies of the South China Sea. Airplanes were spotted flying into Brunei just 45 minutes before I came here.

Sixth: Japanese snuck multiple divisions of troops into the Malaya peninsula over the last few months. In coordination with the attack on Pearl Harbor, they have begun marching down the Malaysian peninsula to Singapore. We intercepted a signal from the local commander of the Singapore garrison… it read “Force Z: Intercept and destroy the invasion fleets at Kuching and Singkawang.” (President Roosevelt interrupts)

Mr President: You intercepted…?

Captain: Yes Mr. President. Intercepted. We broke the British SouthEast Asia military code 6 weeks ago.

Mr. President: Do we now spy on our allies?

Captain: Well Mr. President, not exactly…. It was more of a bet.

Mr. President: Explain.

Captain: Well, uh, a Lt. bet another Lt. that he couldn’t break the new British South East Asia code in less then 4 days. He broke it in three. It was fairly basic code. Quite astonishing really, as the British codes are usually top notch. We practice breaking theirs, and I’m sure they do the same to us.

Mr. President: Continue with your report.

Captain: Singapore is a fortress, sir, or so the British claim. I believe it has a two major weakness, however, #1 is an assault from the north east. It is not fortified in that direction. Second is that it is filled with Civilians. If the japs start bombarding the island, they may well surrender to save their city.

Mr. President: The Brits didn’t surrender last year when the Germans blitzed London, what makes you think they’d do that in Singapore, captain?

Captain: #1 Singapore is not the British Home Islands. If they lose Singapore, they have not lost the war. #2 The British Isles are protected by a 22mile wide channel. Singapore is protected by a small river. #3 British Isles are filled with British and have the support of the local population. Singapore does not. That is my objective opinion Mr. President, and I can not in good conscience present an opinion that I do not believe in.

Mr. President: Is that why you’re a 30 year old captain.

Captain: Perhaps. I do not know.

Mr. President: What are the Dutch doing.

Captain: They, also, have begun to fall back to three strategic locations, and are preparing to defend these locations. They are the rubber factories at Palembang. The oil fields of Sorebaja, and the port of Balikapan. They have requested assistance from the Australians and British. I am not aware of any replies made to the Dutch government.

Seventh: Britian has ordered the India command to move to Burma in effort to repel any attacks through Burma. This will keep the vital lifeline to China open. The Japanese have not moved in any aggressive fashion towards India, but if the Dutch East Indies fall, it’s a possibility.

Eighth: China. The situation has not changed. It’s a bloody, brutal, three way war between the Chinese Communists under Mao-Tse-Tung, the Nationalist forces of our ally Chiang Kai-Shek, and the Japanese forces. Chiang still controls Chunking… and the American Volunteer Group has deployed to inner China.

That is the situation as best as I know, Mr. President.

(Roosevelt stares off into the distance, pondering this information for a few minutes. The room is silent. Finally, Roosevelt speaks).

Mr. President: What is your name?

Captain: Captain Foley, United States Army, Signals Intelligence Division.

Mr. President: How could signals miss all this and not have a clue.

Captain (ponders the question for a minute): Lack of imagination, sir.

Mr. President: (raises an eyebrow, signaling the captain to speak)

Captain Foley: The breadth of this attack was beyond our wildest fantasies, Mr. President. We simply couldn’t imagine that something like this could actually happen.

Mr. President: How old are you son?

Captain Foley: 28

Mr. President: Are you married, family?

Captain Foley: Yes, Mr. President. A wife and a baby girl.

Mr. President: Go home. Make love to your wife. Tomorrow morning, Be here at 7 AM. You report to me now.

Captain Foley: Yes, Mr. President.

Mr. President: Dismissed.

As Captain Foley leaves the room, he looks over his shoulder, watches the president lean forward and speak “Generals, Admirals…. discuss. I want options. I want action. I want….” As the door shuts behind him. Time to make love to his wife, knowing that his work for the president will require many long hours and many days away from his wife.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 1/31/2008 7:37:52 AM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 4
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 1/31/2008 7:51:13 AM   
AcePylut

Location: 130 miles southwest of Jolo Island, a small freighter takes three torpedo's in the port side, and begins to sink.

Seaman Foley clutches the side of the freighter as it begins to break up and sink. Heavily wounded, his last thoughts cry out at the incompetence of the allied high command... "Shoot the Chutes.. my arse... more like Shot to Sh*T. Brother, avenge me. Wipe these bastards off the face of the earth... mom... dad... sister... love... oh gooooddddddd, ohhhh nooooo, hellllllppppP!!!!!!!!"... as the ship keels over and sinks, taking Seamen Foley with it to the bottom of the ocean.

Thousands of miles away, on his ride to his wifes home, Seamen Foley's older brother, Capt Foley, feels a sudden overwhelming sense of anger, revenge, hate, love, and fear. He wonders where it came from.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 5
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:21:26 AM   
AcePylut

December 31th, 1941

Captain Foley ponders events of the last three weeks… his last glance at his wife, meeting with the president, a cross country train ride to deliver sealed papers to the Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, gofering a sealed package from PacSigInt (oh how I longed to see in that case) to “Nimitz”, immediate orders to board the next ship to Pearl, jumping the plank at 11Pm on a cargo boat full of dismantled fighters and their crews…. Then late that night, on the deck, with 5’s over 2’s, the telegram to open the briefcase and review the contents. Damn, left 34$ on the table with a bunch of drunk army pilots jazzing about their aircraft.

Opening the briefcase, Capt Foley removed the file marked “Top Secret: Captain Foley”, broke the seal, and read the contents of the top page… “Strategic Situation and Tactical Analysis of December 31”. The ink on the map was still wet, and smudged. "Dang airtight briefcase" he tough.

Map 1: Strategic Situation, Dec 31, 1941:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 6
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:33:19 AM   
AcePylut

"Dang, the Japs are hitting the Dutch East Indies hard."

Lets see what's going on...

In the DEI, Japan landed at Khota Baru, Kuching, Brunei, on Dec 7th. Singkawang 2 days later. Troops shuttled into the Malayan Peninsula have steadily marched towards Singapore. All allied troops were ordered to March towards Singapore and build defenses, and hold until relief can come.

On December 10th-13, Force Z engaged multiple taskforces around Kuching, culimnating in the great sea battle of Dec 13, 1941. 2 Japanese Cruisers were reported sunk, multiple destroyers damaged, and a Japanese BB was heavily damaged, reported to be sinking. Upon this battle, Force Z withdrew from the battle, and none too soon, as many long range Japanese bombers were sighted in the area the following day. Current location of Force Z, unknown.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 7
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:38:31 AM   
AcePylut

In the Phillipine Islands, All units ordered to fall back to base and defend. The US Pacific Fleet is on the way to resupply the Islands.

The Japanese have moved many soldiers to the Islands. An armed recon of Manila was repulsed on December 18th. Davao and Cayagan are under continuous bombardment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 8
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:42:30 AM   
AcePylut

Shoot the Chutes can only be termed a success. Most shipping was able to flee the PI to safety, however, a total of 80 ships have been lost...however, 33 of them were slow patrol craft. Only one warship has been sunk to date, a DD caught trying to evacuate troops from Pontiniak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 9
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:47:42 AM   
AcePylut

And with the last report, Capt Foley merely smiled.

Great honors were bestowed upon Captain Kim Li and newly promoted Ru Fong, who in a great aerial battle above Changsta on December 30th, were able to turn away multiple bombers of the IJA. Li and Fong, flying their durable I-16's, shot down two incoming escorts, code named Oscar.

(Side note, check it out, these guys had an exp of 30ish, then they each go and get a kill, and look at their exp now) WOOT!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/15/2008 3:48:58 AM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 10
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/15/2008 3:57:49 AM   
AcePylut

So, the question comes... what to do next.

Well, it's only December 31. My plan is to continue to try and hit undefended targets. If I can jump unescorted bombers, I will. If I can strike transports, I will.

When I am presented with any form of force, I retire. I must.

I plan to continue to give ground with as few of losses as possible. I figure that the more I pull back, the more I consolidate, the more he gets stretched thin. I am building up OZ, and a few bases in the Pacific, for the eventual counterattack.

At this stage, my esteemed opponent is still occupied with the SRA. In the DEI, I have been running destroyers ragged trying to pickup troops and form some sort of a last ground, and trying to pull base forces back to OZ, so that my airpower coming from the US in a few months will not be short of aviation support. In China, I have been keeping my guerilla forces on the move, trying to interdict supplies. Sometimes, however, they get caught, and slaughtered to the man. I don't care. The more my guerilla forces can occupy his troops, the longer I have to form my defense lines along Changtsa, Honan, Yenan, Kumning.

In the south pacific, nothing much to do but slowly build a ring of defenses with PH at the center. A few fuel depots are in place.

In the Phillipines, I'm making my stand at Clark, but have plenty of units at Manila to take advantage of the terrain.

But really, there's not much the allies can do at this point except look for the Japs.

Miller has not tipped his hand, yet, to the "post SRA" blast. First, must take SRA. Then, where the hammer falls, not sure yet.

I have spotted multiple carriers in the DEI. I believe that his KB and mini-KB are now prowling the SRA seas, just waiting for Force Z to pop it's head up again.

It will. Soon. When the time and weather is right. Again, I want to pinprick him as much as possible, without any serious losses. With upcoming withdrawal request from Britian, well screw the UK. If they are going to recall ships, they are going to get heavily damaged ships LOL.

As far as my CV force? That's a surprise that will wait for later.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 11
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/19/2008 6:23:52 AM   
AcePylut

It's now January 11th, and things have heated up in the SRA.

Over the last 12 days, many units have been sighted marching down the Malaysian peninsula.

Accompanying this inevitable assault on Fortress Singapore, an invasion of Palemburg and surrounding islancds was launched, with a diversionary assault on the Ambomenia (sp).

Ambomenia fell, along with the other base on teh Island. My troops have retreated to the mountains, and over 3 successive assaults of 4-1 odds, have held their ground. They are running low on ammo, and are not expected to last much longer.

Many planes were flown back into Singapore, and launched multiple air strikes against the Japanese invaders.

A number of transports have been hit... and a few attacks have broken through the mini-KB's CAP, but sadly, no bombs found carrier marks.

The Mini-KB continues to sit in the triangle formed by Batavia, Palemburg, and Pontianik. More planes have been moved forward to attack shipping.

My buffalo's have taken a beating... on Jan 4th, I was losing A2A battles at a 3-1ratio. After the last week, my loss ratio is now 6-1. That will all be forgiven with a couple of bombs in a CV, however.

In the PI, my boys have finally been lost control of the air over Clark and Manila, and have been ordered to evacuate.

My soldiers are holding strong in Manila and Clark, however, against a continuous bombardment. Another pair of recon-in-force attacks have been repulsed, and the nip finally wised up and sent troops into Clark en masse. I do not believe I will be able to throw them back.

In good news, sigint noted a Japanese para batallion on a specific AP. The very next day, that AP was sunk by a submarine on a 2 shotter.

Also in this day, I must say, I saw a PT boat score a single hit on a torp... that torp happened to hit the ammo mag, and I was presented with a beatiful "Ammo mag explosion" followed by an instant sinking. That brave PT boat paid for that attack with it's life.

The pacific has been very quiet as of late... I've been able to move some scout planes forward... no sign of any jap fleet activity. But that tend to scare me... it being so quiet. I believe a major push will come in the pacific soon... the question is where - will he thrust down through the Solomons and towards New Zealand, or will he adopt a South Pacific strategy and go for Suva/Pago Pago? Perhaps he will go for a Central Pacific thrust, and be met with the fate of the japs irl.

My carriers remain hidden, but not "sitting in San Fran catching rays and zzz's". I do not plan on pulling the usual "sit back and wait for '43".

In China, my guerillas are slowly being surrounded and picked off.... but I am happy for their contribution, for their contribution has provided the time necessary to organize a line of defense. My chinese air force has been performing quite well, to say they least. They are not getting slaughtered, and have about a 1 to 1 A2A ration. I even got a squadron of IL-4's to bomb Samah port, and the hit two ships in port. Both ships - an AV and an AP experienced "massive explosive damage".

Here's the line around China. Please note how I am trying to take as much advantage of terrain to support my defense... hiding behind rivers, sitting in exposed cities building up forts, etc. I must admit, I'm rather happy with the sacrifice the guerilla's made. Also note, this map pic was taken on Dec 7th. Forces have moved around. Miller still has not tipped his hand to where the main thrust will be. I still suspect it will come through Changsta, but may also come through Ichang, and there are plenty of units in North China.. but that is territory I can afford to lose, given the great defensive terrain. That will be very costly indeed. I hope.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 12
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/21/2008 6:47:18 AM   
AcePylut

Well I think I'll settle on the "theater report" type of AAR. I spent way too much time doing the other one:

Jan 13th, 1941

India/Burma: Still Quiet. Troops have formed a defensive line by the Imphal river. An air battle over Rangoon has begun. I've been shuttling my Brit pilots to Singapore and Back, so my CAP over Rangoon is low. Hurricanes are coming online, however, and are quickly being brought forward. Supplies, fuel, and combat troops are making their way to a couple of "hold at all costs" bases.

China: My IL-4 Squadron has move forward to the Changsa/Hengchow line, and over two days worth of port strikes (one against Samah, one against Hong Kong) have scored "massive explosive damage" against a DD, an AV, and an AP. My guerilla's - who have been interdicting supply lines behind the man Japanese forces, are slowly being encircled and defeated. Their sacrifice has bought the needed time to setup a defensive line (see above). Enough base forces are now close enough to the front lines to begin returning the troop bombing favors that my guerilla's have been receiving since the start of the war. A2A combat in this zone is about 1-1.

DEI: Palemburg fell. Many dutch and british aircraft have been harassing Japanese shippin in the 'Singapore / Pontianik / Batavia' triangle. My A2A losses are quite tremendous, but every bomb from a low exp crappy aircraft that strikes a target means one less ship for the Japanese expansion. Multiple attacks on the Mini-KB have leaked through, no carrier strikes. The KB has been sighted hanging around Amboneia. I suspect they are sitting there in preparation for another assault, perhaps on Makassar, perhaps on Sorejaba (can never spell that right), perhaps Koepang. This seems to be a feeler. Units have been given orders to run as fast as possible from the KB.

Australia/NG/New Britian: Rabaul and Lae have fallen. PM still holds, but no concerted effort to take out PM has occured yet. Forts all along the OZ coast are being built up. Troops have moved forward. As one can suspect, this area is quiet, for the time being.

Phillipines: My airforce over the Clark/Manila/Bataan has been defeated. After a couple of recon-in-force attacks were thrown back, the Japanese have moved many soldiers into Clark and Manila. They look like they are there to stay. Soldiers have been ordered to defend at all costs, until relief can come. The remaining elements of my air force have relocated to parts beyond. They may come back for a surprise at a later date... we'll see.

South Pacific: Not much happening here, except for the odd sub attack. ASW tf's are instantly ordered to hunt down and destroy any Submarines noted.

Central Pacific: Midway is quickl being reinforced. After the initial PH raid and an assault on Wake, this area has been devoid of Japanese. Multiple "trip wires" have been set, to give my boys a few extra days notice, should a thrust come in this area.

Over the last week, my A2A loss ratio has jumped from 3-1 against to 7-1 against. This is what happens when crappy martins are escorted by crappy buffalo's against the wonder weapon of 1942, the Japanese Zero.

The War Under the Pacific seems to be about even. There was a week where my subs wouldn't even attack... and in the irony of ironies, I made a comment about my terrible subs to my opponent Miller41... well as soon as I "chewed out my sub commanders" in that email, they went on a tear and have been popping ships right and left. But so have his subs. We're probably about square as far as losses go. One of those "glen" carrying subs is hanging about 600 miles off of San Fran. I've dispatched multiple ASW tf's to find and sink that nip... but so far, their search has come up empty.

Point stand at 6800 Allies, 4000 Japs. I've lost about 100 ships to his 30ish... but other than about 20-30 AK's/APs, I've only lost 4-5 DD's. The rest of my losses have all been Patrol boats (my DEI/PI PT boats have been slaughtered, but they scored a few good hits).

In fact, I had a single PT attack a large surface combat task force, and saw something pretty cool. My PT struck a DD with 1 torp, and that torp hit an ammo mag, the DD blew up and sank instantly. That was kind of neat.. but it ticked off the Jap tf and they pummeled that PT to bits. And they gunned down the crew as they were bobbing in the ocean. So if that's how the Japs want to fight, so be it. In a few years, I'll get revenge and firestorm Tokyo. Twice. And Hiroshima too. And when I get a nuke, I'm dropping it on the Emperor, I don't care what the score is.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/22/2008 5:56:29 PM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 13
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/22/2008 6:00:31 PM   
AcePylut

A DEI update: Jan 14th, 1942

Today, a 300 soldier strong commando raid against Georgetown was a success. The base is temporarily under ABDA control, destruction of supplies, ammo, an infrastructure was the goal.

The raid took slightly longer than projected however, and as dawn approached, many japapnese aircraft from a nearby base pounced on the transport, stranding the troops at Georgetown. They have been ordered to dig in and hold while a new evacuation plan is implemented. The soldiers have created a new term to describe this situation: SNAFU.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 14
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/26/2008 5:06:42 PM   
AcePylut

Well time for an update.

India/Burma: Mostly quiet, my planes that evacuated the SRA have been pulled back to safer parts (read Bombay and Karachi) to rebuild their depleted strength, and most likely await upgrades to take advantage of their "high" exp. Japan has begun an air assault against Rangoon, coming from Tavoy. So far, these are just minor raids, however, I suspect it will get intense very quickly.

China:
My guerilla's have finally been eliminated. Just in time for my soldiers to get into position to defend against any attacks. 1 months of time brought a lot of fortifications to my bases. Air probing attacks have occured along the front. It seems as if Changsa is going to be the first location for a Jap assault. Most of the air attacks are being centered on Changsa. The AVG, the mass horde of I-16's, and a few fighter squadrons from the PI have moved forward to begin attritting the Jap forces. Major Greg Boyington, an exp 95ish pilot, crashed his aircraft on landing and was killed. Wonderful.

DEI: This is getting easier and easier to plot turns, and base after base falls. Currently, the only remaining mass concentration fo troops is in Batavia, Singapore, and Sorejaba (sp). They have been ordered to fight to the death. My Dutch air force has been eliminated for the most part, and all remaining squadrons have pulled back to reform, regroup, and upgrade. The KB had been hanging around Kendari for about a week, but has now disappeared. Of all the subs that moved into the area to get that lucky shot, not a single one even attacked the KB and he must have run over my subs at least 50 times.

Most importantly, in the first week fo the war, Force Z intercepted and engaged multiple enemy fleets around Singapore/Kuching. Over three days of combat, not a single Brit ship was lost, and at the time, I had noted that heavy damage was done to a Jap BB. Today, spies in Brunei informed me that the Battleship KONGO was sunk trying to reach port!!!!

Oz/NG/New Britian: Still quiet. Some ships have moved into the area to support their initial landings at Rabaul, Lae, Buna, Kaveing. I highly suspect that the recent disappearance of the KB from the DEI has to do with New Guinea. I suspect that he pulled the KB back to re-arm and refuel, and it will henceforth support an invasion of PM in the very near future. 3 Sub divisions have been tasked to interdict this invasion force.

Phillipines: The Iron Triangle holds. Supplies are being depleted. A recent deliberate attack on Clark Field cost the Japanese over 4000 troops at a loss of about 1000 of my troops. I hope to make this as bloody as possible. The more I hold here means the longer it takes for these Jap troops to be used elsewhere.

South Pacific: I'm moved forward a number of high speed AVD's and search planes. These are my "trip wires" spoken of earlier. They will give me advance notice of any happenings in the Gilbert Islands. Kwaj seems to be a backwater, for the time being.

Central Pacific: Midway has been reinforced by a full division of troops. This island is being fortified and built up as quickly as possible.

West Coast: All my tankers finally came into play. Some 100 or so of them. They are being loaded up with fuel asap and sent to parts unknown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/26/2008 5:07:33 PM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 15
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/26/2008 5:10:25 PM   
AcePylut

Here's a screenie of the commando raid on Georgetown, in Malaya. These guys have been evacuated by fast transport... (after the two AK's dispatched to pick them up were sunk by Japanese Dive Bombers).

It was just in time, for the day after they were evacuated, the Japanese showed up and took back Georgetown. And they executed 250 civilian civil servants for "collusion with the enemy".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 16
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/26/2008 5:11:36 PM   
AcePylut

In New Guinea, you can see some Japanese ships moving to their forward bases. As noted, I suspect the KB will show up in this area shortly, with an invasion fleet destined for PM.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 17
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 2/26/2008 5:13:42 PM   
AcePylut

Here's our victory conditions, as the allies see it. My A2A loss ratio went from 3-1 against to about 5-1 against after the recent battles in the DEI.

Not sure what to make of the victory conditions yet... this is my first game against a real person.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/26/2008 5:14:18 PM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 18
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 4/27/2008 7:19:03 AM   
AcePylut

Already, game time currently is 3/24/42, so I can start updating this for you guys without giving anything away.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 19
RE: The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) - 12/4/2008 11:26:34 AM   
AdmFletcher

Very good gentlemen. Keep it up. Reporting on what has happened doesnt give anything away. Would be nice if Miller41 can give his side of the events.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> The War in the Pacific (AP vs Miller41) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI