Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best ancient time battle wargame?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best ancient time battle wargame? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 10:56:46 AM   
invernomuto

Hi to all,
which is the best wargame on the market for ancient time battles? I remember an old title that I played when I had an Amiga (ages ago!!!), Universal Military Simulator, with battle of Hastings, Gaugamela ecc. Something like that. Good graphic is a plus but not really necessary.
Thanks for suggestions

Post #: 1
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 11:09:45 AM   
Lützow

Still Rome Total War for me.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 2
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 1:01:17 PM   
Hertston

Both the Matrix 'Tin Soldiers' games and the HPS 'Ancient Warfare' games are excellent, although very different. TS is almost a simulation of tabletop miniatures games while AW is more 'historical'. I can't take RTW seriously in a 'wargame' context, although it's a decent enough strategy game.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 3
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 2:39:22 PM   
sullafelix

I have the new HPS titles Gallic and Punic wars. They are very detailed and very good. The only problem is it is very slow going until you actually have the armies in contact. The Great Battles series from Interactive magic 1998? are still the best for me. There are tons on downloaded battles and they are much more more fast paced than the above mentioned. The only thing some people might not like is that it is based on command control, just like GMT's Great battles boardgames where they came from. You do not have control over which pices can be moved when. If your commander on one side of the field does not pass the chance to give orders segment than those troops are not moving.

I have both of the Tin Soldiers games from Matrix and they are not bad. I for one could never really get into command cards to be used when needed. The only real knock against them for me is the inability to play the armies against Caesar and Alexander. I wish that a mod had been released to play either side.

For middle ages I really like XIII century. All it is is battles from that time period. The battles are very much like the Total War series, although the AI and historical feel is to me much greater.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 4:41:14 PM   
mllange

The Great Battles Collector's Edition is 4 games in one- The Great Battles of Alexander (the Great), The Great Battles of Hannibal, The Great Battles of Caesar, and a Scenario Designer/Player Utility. This collection is one of the best wargame compilations ever made, as all 3 games are outstanding, highly underrated miniature wargames that deserve much more acclaim that it received. Here is a synopsis of basic gameplay mechanics from Edward Hayes' excellent review for Wargamer.com:

"All the games run on the same engine, with a few additions and improvements in the Caesar and Hannibal versions. Play is by turns, but who starts first each turn is determined by the quality of the leaders on each side, with the better ones getting additional phases within each turn. Each phase, a leader has a given number of orders, which varies according to that leader's quality, to allocate among those units in his Group that are within his command range, to rally, restore cohesion (repair), or move and fight. Leaders can order units that aren't part of the Group he commands, but at double the order cost. They can also issue Group orders for movements, attacks or repairs that ignore the command range and are much more economical, covering as many as 25 units in one phase. Group attacks are particularly impressive to watch, but of course the final placement is not as precise, with units seeking out the nearest foe.

All this means that a more realistic, flexible strategy must be adopted. You cannot be sure when your turn will start or how many phases you might have, and not all your units can receive orders every phase, unless of course you use the Group option. It also creates a lot of decision dilemmas and notable anguish waiting to see how your opponent will respond."

The game uses unit positioning and manoeuvres as the key to tactical success. Sheer size will not win you all battles. It is strategy that comes first and formost. How can you manage your force and make it conduct a complicated flank attack or piercing arrow movement is most important in this reviewer's experience. The interface of the games are smooth and the AI is extremely challenging.

Great Battles of Alexander follows the major battles in the life of Alexander the Great. To me, these are the most fun, (not most difficult of the 3) but most fun, simply because of the variety of terrain and opponents that Alexander fought on his conquests from East of Macedonia to the border of India. Great Battles of Hannibal follows Hannibal's battles against the Romans during the Second Punic War. Watch out for those Elephants! Hannibal's battles are very large and time consuming but more rewarding if you are victorious. Great Battles of Caesar deals mainly with the civil war between the forces of Pompey the Great and those of Julius Caesar. The battles contained in this sub game are the most complex and intriguing of the 3 collections. It is here that you must outwit the Ai and use your military brains to secure defeat, more than in the other sub games. As a student of Roman history, this collection will bring rewarding recreations of an important era in history. Finally, the Scenario Designer/Utility lets you recreate battles from ancient Egyptian times to the time of the Roman Empire. Many scenarios can be found online at The Wargamer.com archive, among others. Some of the excellent user-made scenarios include the great Thermoplyae battle from the Persian War between Greece and Persia. I've had much fun trying to defend that narrow mountain pass with a much smaller amount of men from the oncoming hosts of Persia.

Overall, The Great Battles: Collector's Edition is a must-play for every wargamer. The collection will delight wargamers and also fans of ancient history who don't get to see much on the market anymore of games covering this fabulous era. For those fans, this game is highly recommended-- expect to see many hours of challenge.
------------------------------

You can still pick up a copy from various sites and re-sellers, but it is no longer published - runs fine under Vista too!

That said, I also own and love the Tin Soldiers and HPS series already mentioned.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 5
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/30/2008 6:57:41 PM   
Brigz

I'd have to agree that "The Great Battles" series is the best ancients computer game available. There are lots of user made battles available too. Anyone who's looking for a fairly simple but challenging game of ancient warfare would enjoy this game. This link will give more information:
http://www.ianm1.plus.com/index.html

The "Tin Soldiers" series of two titles from Matrix are great but are limited to just two titles and no ability to create new battles. I also have "Chariots of War" by Matrix and it is also a good game but not a tactical game simulating actual battles.

I also have "Punic Wars" and "Gallic Wars" from HPS. They are probably the best games as far as detail and historical accuracy go, but they require much time to play. I like them lots but rarely have the time to play them. Although I hope they continue the series. It's worth owning these just to look at the armies arrayed on the battlefield.

I have "Rome Total War" but, even though it is a beautiful game, I just couldn't get into it. Never really felt like I had control of the game. 3D graphics are cool to look at but I'm just not an eye candy kind of guy.

"The Great Battles" series would be the one I'd keep if I had to choose.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 6
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/1/2008 11:24:56 AM   
killroyishere

There is an ancient game that uses cards called 'Hoplite' (googled it http://digilander.libero.it/zak965/main.htm) and it has over 40+ different leaders you can play against or be. It's fast, definitely a beer & chips sort of game and it's fun to see how far you can get with the different leaders. Of course Alexander is one of the better ones and you can win a lot of battles with his army, but, I prefer Spartacus and I've beaten Alexander with it....once.

< Message edited by killroyishere -- 12/1/2008 11:55:32 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 7
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/1/2008 11:46:19 AM   
GShock

I cant understand how the Total War engine can still be considered worthy at all.

Strategically, the AI sucks so much the modders have to give handicaps to the player and this heavy scripting takes ages to load between turns. Tactically, the AI uses always the same tactic and it's very easy to beat because all you have to do is kill the reckless enemy general or lure the whole army on advantageous terrain for you...and that's at the hardest difficulty levels, neh!

Solution would be the multiplayer but of course after 10 years Creative Assembly has yet to build a MP campaign...no no, forget it...it's just a fancy graphics game, for the rest it looks good on the shelf.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 8
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/1/2008 2:01:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

I have to admit I'm getting tired of the Total War series, though I recognize they are still great games, but they no longer really scratch my wargaming itch, they're more "general gaming". To me what would completely revitalize it is making the strategic layer truly multiplayer. I've been hoping for that since Shogun.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 9
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/1/2008 6:43:38 PM   
NefariousKoel

I've got the Great Battles Collector's Edition and it was great. 

Unfortunately, it was made for Win95 IIRC, and there was a setting or two you had to turn off for WinXP but it still worked just fine.  I wonder if it'll run on Vista?

I wish they'd make another one and update the graphics & such a bit.  Same for the Flight Commander 2 and those other MadMinute games.  I want an updated dogfight strategy game like those again, too.

I had debated trying out the Tin Soldiers stuff, but didn't think it had much of a campaign strategy layer to it.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 12/1/2008 6:44:07 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/1/2008 10:01:23 PM   
sullafelix

Actually I forgot that the best one ever was from 1988 and was called I believe Ancient Battles. You had the ability to fight from 1300BC until something like 1000AD. There was a bunch of stock battles but you could fight any era army against each other. It had tons of armies in the database. It had something like 6-10 different armies just for the Diadochi.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 11
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/2/2008 6:34:59 AM   
mllange

There's always the Vassal version of Commands & Colors: Ancients (now 4 expansions!) if you want online multiplayer only.

-Umberto Eco

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 12
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/2/2008 11:57:03 AM   
Grell

I'd have to echo the sentiment and go with the Great Battles series of games.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 13
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/2/2008 9:25:25 PM   
PDiFolco

Yep, Great Battles series and Hoplites are the only one worth stg imho.
Too bad there's been nothing new for ages...

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 14
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/2/2008 10:20:47 PM   
KG Erwin

Here's another vote for the Great Battles Collection -- best package deal I ever got (think I paid $20 for it several years ago). I still play it once in awhile.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 15
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/2/2008 11:13:19 PM   
mikul82

A vote for the Great Battles series from me as well.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 3:33:26 AM   
Sarge

Punic wars would top my list

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 17
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 7:51:32 AM   
Hertston

Sorry, guys.. but I think there's an awful lot of nostalgia going on here. I HAVE the Great Battles series and, frankly, both Tin Soldiers and the HPS games (for different reasons, although both have much better AI) are vastly superior. Have you actually played them? Not to mention that Alex in particular was a pig to get to run on XP, let alone Vista.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 8:06:48 AM   
Tanaka

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 19
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 10:32:11 AM   
Krasny

quote:

I have to admit I'm getting tired of the Total War series, though I recognize they are still great games, but they no longer really scratch my wargaming itch, they're more "general gaming". To me what would completely revitalize it is making the strategic layer truly multiplayer. I've been hoping for that since Shogun.

Didn't the Mongol expansion to Shogun add a multiplayer campaign game?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 20
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 10:34:41 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Sorry, guys.. but I think there's an awful lot of nostalgia going on here.

Totally agree - the Great Battles I remember looked great for their time but had an AI that just stood still and died!

I have the HPS Gallic title and didn't get any gameplay underway. As soon as I saw the graphics I uninstalled! But to its credit the series seems to have its ardent followers. Imho, the graphics stink.

To the OP, I'd go Matrix/Kois's Tin Soldiers right now.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 21
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 12:59:11 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

I have the HPS Gallic title and didn't get any gameplay underway. As soon as I saw the graphics I uninstalled! But to its credit the series seems to have its ardent followers. Imho, the graphics stink.

If you stopped or didn't play a game because the graphics sucked you are missing out on some of the best computer wargames of all tmie. Graphics are meaningless to me as I enjoy playing with rectangles from the old SSI series of Civil War games Gettysburg and Antietam, Sons of Liberty, and Battles of Napoleon and many many more from the 80's and early 90's. Graphics are overrated and really don't add enough to the games to even warrant the cost they are adding to games nowadays and/or the time they add just to get one game out. Look how long games today take to produce and back in the good old days they could release new games every 2-6 months. I guess you missed out on the X-Com and Master of Magic and Master of Orion series as well since they too have simple 8bit graphics. Wasteland and all those wonderful rpg games of yesterday. It's just hard to fathom a true wargamer or strategy gamer that puts graphics ahead of gameplay.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 22
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 3:15:52 PM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

I love EB as well, but can't bring myself to call RTW an "ancient time wargame" in any fasioN

< Message edited by mlc82 -- 12/4/2008 4:16:54 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 23
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/3/2008 9:00:31 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

If you stopped or didn't play a game because the graphics sucked you are missing out on some of the best computer wargames of all tmie.

I appreciate the tip re the HPS Ancients titles and will give it another look.

Re graphics, I don't buy a book by its cover but when I open it after checking that its blurb will likely offer what I need, as soon as I see a typo early on, I get soured. The second typo makes me put the book away. Just not enough attention to care makes me wonder if the attention to details are the same.

So when it came to Gallic Wars, as soon as I found buildings that hid units from view etc., and an interface that just wasn't inuitive, I put it away. Once again, I did not have the time to wrestle with a designer's programming - I'd rather wrestle with winning a scenario.

But like I said, I have heard great things about these HPS ancients titles. Stacked up against Tin Soldiers, the latter is just much more playable out of the box. It's a shame Koios abandoned the Tin Soldiers series. They had a monopoly that they could have refined for some great sales.

Post #: 24
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/4/2008 1:25:12 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Sorry, guys.. but I think there's an awful lot of nostalgia going on here. I HAVE the Great Battles series and, frankly, both Tin Soldiers and the HPS games (for different reasons, although both have much better AI) are vastly superior. Have you actually played them? Not to mention that Alex in particular was a pig to get to run on XP, let alone Vista.

Not at all. I have all the Great Battles Games and both Tin Soldiers and both Punic Wars and Gallic Wars. Yes, of course, Tin Soldiers and Punic/Gallic wars are superior wargames, no question. But I still have lots of fun occasionally playing Great Battles scenarios. It's a fun game. I don't get rid of games I like just because something new comes along. What I was saying was, that of the three publishers titles, I'd get more gameplay out of Great Battles than the other offerings. There are literally hundreds of scenarios available.

FWIW, I don't remember having any difficulty getting all three Great Battles games to run on XP. I believe the link I provided in an earlier post has that info somewhere.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 25
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/4/2008 12:01:44 PM   
killroyishere

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Centurion:Defender of Rome since it is one of the hardest and probably first turn based and real time ancient wargames of its kind. This truely is your origional Total War game. I don't think any other ancient game entertained me and frustrated me to no end at the same time like CDoR did. Normal difficulty was hard and if you can beat it on higher difficulties my hat off to you. I sucked at the chariot races, while loving them at the same time. Almost every match I would get thrown off trying to round a turn too fast and one of the most hilarious parts of it was if you fell off or got knocked out stretcher bearers would run out to get you but sometimes they would toss you from one side to the other missing getting you on the stretcher and they'd run off and leave you still laying face down in the dirt. Then there was animated gladiator battles and those I could win. Very simple easy to use battle functions much like the ones used in Sid Meiers Pirates. Course Adam Parker probably won't like this one either as the graphics are appauling compared to most of todays graphics. But, this is one of those classic rellics that is still as good today as it was yesterday. Even the diplomacy feature in the game is much much better than the TW series.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 26
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/4/2008 9:30:57 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere
Course Adam Parker probably won't like this one either as the graphics are appauling compared to most of todays graphics.

Don't get me wrong. Graphics and graphical AI's to me, need to be useful and inuitive. Eye candy without these is worthless.

Give me Cv 2 over Civ 4 any day. Pong over EA Sports. Railroad Tycoon 2 over Sid Meier's Rairoads.

Similarly I see no need to retrograde where a game's graphics have once set a benchmark. Eg: Going from Shogun Total War to Slitherine's Spartan.

Benchmarking, intuitiveness and user-friendliness are what measure my PC gaming.

Give me what I perceive to be grainy art, unnecessarilty pixelated art, inablility to view units by graphics, clickfests etc., (my first impression of the HPS Ancients titles) and I'll get easily turned off. And I'm the guy who owns multiple copies of the Commands and Colors: Ancients franchise and many other ancients boardgames ie: I love the era.

Post #: 27
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/5/2008 2:31:00 AM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Give me what I perceive to be grainy art, unnecessarilty pixelated art, inablility to view units by graphics, clickfests etc., (my first impression of the HPS Ancients titles) and I'll get easily turned off. And I'm the guy who owns multiple copies of the Commands and Colors: Ancients franchise and many other ancients boardgames ie: I love the era.

I'll be among those who agree with you about the graphics (and user interface) of the HPS series. I support the HPS effort, but seriously hope they will continue to work on improvements to the engine and the experience. Playing Punic Wars is kind of like walking through a peat bog in stormy weather to enjoy a nice warm bowl of homemade chicken soup by the fire, it's worth it in the end but the journey could be so much better. A campaign would be nice as well!

-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 28
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/5/2008 3:16:50 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

I'll be among those who agree with you about the graphics (and user interface) of the HPS series. I support the HPS effort, but seriously hope they will continue to work on improvements to the engine and the experience. Playing Punic Wars is kind of like walking through a peat bog in stormy weather to enjoy a nice warm bowl of homemade chicken soup by the fire, it's worth it in the end but the journey could be so much better. A campaign would be nice as well!

I agree with Adam about the graphics in the HPS ancient series games. They are bad. But I'm glad I own them. They are great games....I just really don't enjoy playing them. And I don't know why... they are certainly interesting games.

@ nim8or,
You have more patience than I.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 29
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/6/2008 6:45:52 AM   
mllange

@Dave
I'm not all that patient, I just love the time period and the romance, for lack of a better word, of mano e mano warefare, up close and personal, where some soldier isn't sitting in Colorado pushing buttons and manipulating an unmanned remote to bomb villages across the globe without a hint of remorse or loss of sleep. That said, I still enjoy the Great Battles Collector's Edition games a great deal more than HPS. Call me nostalgic, call me old fashioned and out of date, call me crazy, that's just the way it is. For anyone interested the series, this link is an essential. You will find tech support, strategy tips, additional scenarios and more. Hopefully the games will enjoy an extended lifespan well into the future.

Now how 'bout resurrecting Tin Soldiers for another title while we're at it?

-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best ancient time battle wargame? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI