Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

hunter-killer sub tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> hunter-killer sub tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/3/2008 3:26:53 AM   
VictorInThePacific

I have to apologize for wasting people's time. I have been working with an old version of the game (Harpoon Classic). I have just come across the following information:

The original Harpoon II / 3 database was flawed and detection ranges were much too great. Submarine duels turned into long-range torpedo shootouts instead of 'knife fights in a booth' as in real life. Submarines were also on the defensive in the ASuW battle, and were often little more than sitting ducks for ASW helicopters. Not so with the DB2000 database. The revised detection ranges are based on Larry Bond's excellent Harpoon4 boardgame ruleset as well as valuable input from ex-US Navy and German Navy ASW officers and u-boat drivers. Submarines are now the hunters and ships are prey. Detection ranges closely mirror those in real life, and anti-submarine warfare has become as realistic as it possibly can get in a commercially available simulator. Engagements between submarines usually take place at less than 2nm for diesel subs, and about 1-4nm for the latest high-tech nuclear attack submarines. As the commander of a modern US destroyer you'll be real lucky if your AN/SQR-19 towed array sonar detects a Victor III 5nm out, or an advanced Kilo SS or Akula SSN at 2nm. For most systems, detection occurs is in the 0.5-3nm range, and often the first thing your ships' sonar systems pick up is enemy torpedo launches.

(from http://www.harpoonhq.com/harpoon3/scenarios/features.html)

Until now I have not been aware that the game data has been so drastically changed, although some people have hinted at it.

Therefore nothing I have said in this post has any relevance to the current game.

Before Harpoon, I used to have the general impression that submarines operated for the most part independently.

But seeing the actual sensor and weapons characteristics provided in Harpoon leads me to question this approach.

Definition: Submarine Lethal Range: The distance from a submarine within which you cannot outrun its TORPEDOES. This depends, of course, on the speed of the target. And while a torpedo is not guaranteed to hit or kill the target, I consider that depending on a random number generator for survival is no defense at all. Finally, missiles are excluded from this definition because there ARE defenses to missiles.

Suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using passive sonar. What is the worst that can happen to you? You could fail to locate the enemy sub until you are within its lethal range. Doesn't seem like a reasonable option.

Suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using active sonar. You will be detected early, that's a given. But I believe that you WILL locate the sub before you are within its lethal range. At which point your air support will squish it flat. What is the worst that can happen to your sub? Enemy air support will squish YOU flat.

So it seems to come down to: who has air superiority?

Now suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using active sonar AND you have air superiority. What is the worst that can happen to you? The enemy sub can kill your sub with a stand-off missile/torp.

Now suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using active sonar AND you have air superiority AND your sub is coordinated with a surface search radar (perhaps its own) AND (preferably) you have something available to pick off the stand-off weapons while they are in the air. What is the worst that can happen to your sub? Absolutely nothing. Your sub is perfectly safe.

THEREFORE your sub-hunting team of choice should be:
1) A sub with a good sonar;
2) A good surface-search radar;
3) Something to shoot down the stand-off weapons.

All elements of your sub-hunting team are perfectly safe, so by all means turn on the sonar and pound those enemy subs.

An optimal sub-hunting team would be almost any modern sub plus a land-based ASW airplane plus any modern fighter.

An acceptable sub-hunting team would be any fast modern sub plus a land-based ASW airplane. You don't actually need the fighter because the torp phase of the missile/torp stand-off weapon has sufficiently short range that, if the sub flees at top speed as soon as the missile is detected, it is safe.

Another acceptable sub-hunting team would be almost any modern sub plus any modern fighter. You won't detect the stand-off weapon soon enough for the sub to flee, but you can still shoot it down. Bear in mind that the sub does have a SS radar which it can use while at periscope depth or on the surface.

A minimal sub-hunting team would be any fast modern sub alone. The sub travels on the surface (this is safe because you have air superiority), using its radar to detect stand-off weapons, which it flees, and its sonar to detect subs, which the air support kill.

My question to the forum is, is this technique used in real life, and if not, why not?

There does not seem to be any situation in which you will not be able to easily assemble this type of anti-sub force in some way, unless the enemy has air superiority, in which case he will do it to you. So why would you ever operate a sub alone, or even want to?

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/9/2008 7:09:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/3/2008 4:49:37 PM   
NefariousKoel

Aircraft.  Hunt enemy subs with aircraft.

(in reply to VictorInThePacific)
Post #: 2
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/3/2008 5:13:45 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: VictorInThePacific
Finally, missiles are excluded from this definition because there ARE defenses to missiles.

In a scenario where you have air superiority or at least some decent air defences, I suppose that's true, but otherwise standoff ASW missiles (SS-N-14/15/16, SUBROC, and to a lesser extent, ASROC, etc) are VERY dangerous.

quote:

Suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using passive sonar. What is the worst that can happen to you? You could fail to locate the enemy sub until you are within its lethal range. Doesn't seem like a reasonable option.

The other guy is facing the same circumstances. In such a situation, it comes down to who has the better tools (self-signature, sonar, weapons, countermeasures, speed, and an able crew).

quote:

Suppose you hunt subs with a sub that is using active sonar. You will be detected early, that's a given. But I believe that you WILL locate the sub before you are within its lethal range.

Active sonar is notoriously short ranged, and in most cases, a limited and very risky tool. The usual comparison is that energizing your active sonar is akin to turning on a small flashlight in a large dark room where you know there are bad guys lurking. You can see only a short distance, but everybody else will know exactly where you are.

quote:

THEREFORE your sub-hunting team of choice should be ...

See Nefarious' post. Aircraft, aircraft, aircraft. Just ask Donitz what threat aircraft pose to submarines.

quote:

My question to the forum is, is this technique used in real life, and if not, why not? There does not seem to be any situation in which you will not be able to easily assemble this type of anti-sub force in some way, unless the enemy has air superiority, in which case he will do it to you. So why would you ever operate a sub alone, or even want to?

I think you misunderstand the fundamental mission of the modern submarine: reconnaissance, or (grossly simplified) to go where the enemy doesn't know you are. Most other missions are secondary.

In circumstances where you have air superiority (and thank God for that, because half the war is already won), your submarine will likely be operating in concert with a naval task force (or carrier battle group) or under cover of land based air. The mission then often switches to pure defense (defending the naval group against enemy submarines) or pure offense (often attacking land targets, something not every submarine can do).

In most cases, however, I think you'll find that submarines do not enjoy air superiority, usually because they are operating in enemy controlled waters (conducting that recon referred to earlier), ahead of any friendly force and often ahead of any outbreak of actual conflict.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 3
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/3/2008 6:08:27 PM   
NefariousKoel

The reason ASW aircraft are the best is because there is almost no risk.  Subs generally have no attack capabilities vs. aircraft.

That means.. there's no risk from the enemy sub when searching/attacking it.  The best way to win - with no losses.

Unfortunately, in the current HCE version, you have to micromanage dropping every sonobuoy from long-range ASW aircraft or any others not attached to a surface group.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 4
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/6/2008 2:12:41 AM   
VictorInThePacific

I am going to have another crack at this topic. The feedback I have received so far is either “it won’t work against a human” or “it won’t work in real life”.

I will restate the case, including more details, and attempting to refute the counterarguments I have seen so far.

First let me define air superiority. If one side can safely operate slow, unarmed aircraft in a region, and the other side cannot, the first side has air superiority. This is a relative concept, and it will depend on just what is available to contest the airspace. In general, NATO will have air superiority anywhere over the Atlantic or in the GIUK area, except possibly within a few hundred miles of a Soviet airbase. The Atlantic is a given, because Soviet aircraft will simply never be there. The airspace within several hundred miles of a US CVBG will always be controlled by NATO. Otherwise, the CVBG will shortly cease to exist. The airspace within 50 nm of a Kirov or Slava will generally be controlled by the Soviets, unless there is a Tomcat nearby, in which case that region is not safe for either side.

Second, I think that we will agree that the most effective way to KILL an enemy sub is with an aircraft. On the one hand, the sub can never shoot back. On the other hand, the aircraft will always be able to rapidly approach the sub, almost always be able to rapidly locate the sub exactly, and generally be able to drop large amounts of nasty ordnance on the sub from point-blank range. Finally, if one aircraft is insufficient, you can generally replace that aircraft with another one, and another one, and so forth.

But I think that it is incorrect to claim that an aircraft is the most effective way of HUNTING a sub, that is, generating an initial contact. The most effective ASW aircraft, the Orion, carries a MAD and about 100 sonobuoys, and cruises at about 400 kn. If the Orion flies in a straight line for an hour, its MAD will sweep out an area 2 nm x 400 nm = 800 sq miles. It may be only half that, and there is a depth restriction, and it only works on steel subs. Unfortunately this long, narrow strip is not that useful. The MAD is a nice bonus, but it doesn’t work that well for the purpose of clearing an area of subs. The sonobuoys cover, I believe, 2 x 7 nm = 14 sq miles. (Or is it 1 x 5 nm ?) Placed in a dense pattern, 1400 sq miles can be covered. Unfortunately, the Orion then has to return to base for resupply. And by the way, although the pilot could probably do it in real life, you’re really not going to be able to get the Orion to search any appreciable area in the game under manual control.

Now consider what a ship- or sub-mounted sonar can do. A good passive sonar has a range of about 25 nm, which gives a baseline of 50 nm. As the unit advances, say at a speed of 15 kn, it sweeps out an area of 750 nm. But as opposed to the aircraft, it can continue to sweep out this area hour after hour without resupply. And the area swept has a useful shape. The disadvantage is that the passive sonar detection probability is sufficiently low that you cannot guarantee that the area is actually clear of enemy subs.

A good active sonar has a range of about 15 nm, which gives a baseline of 30 nm. As the unit advances, again at a speed of 15 kn, it sweeps out an area of 450 nm. It can continue to sweep out this area hour after hour without resupply, and the area swept has a useful shape. The active sonar detection probability is on the order of 50% per 30 s round. At 4 min per nm, each nm will be searched 8 times, so the probability of failing all the searches in that mile is only .25%. I think it’s fair to say that that region has been swept.

It has been pointed out that if your sonar range is only 15 nm, and you are travelling towards a stationary, silent enemy sub, you will first detect it when launches the weapon that will kill you, and I that we can agree that that isn’t acceptable. But what about the convergence zones? My understanding is that active sonar works out there. Now we’re talking a 35 nm range for any decent sonar, 65 nm for a good one, and 100 nm for the best ones.

Furthermore, if your ship or sub is travelling towards a stationary, silent enemy sub, it will see you regardless of whether your sonar is on or off. If your sonar is off, it is almost certain that you will first detect the enemy sub when it launches the weapon that will kill you. If your sonar is on, you have a good chance of detecting the sub before it kills you. In fact, this is the main argument for running with your sonar on! There is also the circumstance that the computer tends to shoot at the first opportunity. So in game terms, if you can defeat what the enemy is going to throw at you, you will want to make as much noise as possible, although this needs to be considered a flaw in the program. No real opponent is going to waste ordnance firing at the first possible opportunity.

It has been pointed out that if your sonar is on, then many more enemy units will see you than if it is off. This gives them a better chance to coordinate attacks on your hunting unit. What can they throw at a ship? Lots of stuff: long range bombers, long-range missiles, and so forth. Ships are pretty vulnerable to all this stuff, although they do have defenses. What can they throw at a sub? Almost nothing. Bear in mind that you are assumed to have air superiority. If the enemy has air superiority, HE will be doing the sub hunting, not you. To be specific, there are only 2 possible threats to your hunting sub. First, the sub-launched ASW torpedo. But all these torpedoes have very short lethal ranges, and your active sonar will detect the enemy sub in good time. So there is only one threat that your sub actually needs to be concerned about, and that is the sub-launched stand-off missile/torp. Most Soviet subs carry this weapon, and a few US boats, but that’s all!

Next I am going to show how the sub-launched stand-off missile/torp can be defeated, at which point your sub-hunting sub becomes invulnerable. The missile phase of the weapon appears to have no guidance. If the weapon is launched at maximum range (50 nm), traveling at 660 kn, and your sub flees at 30 kn when the missile is detected, your sub will have moved about 2 nm by the time the missile arrives where the sub used to be. Then the torp chases your sub at 38 kn. It needs 15 min to close the 2 nm gap at a speed difference of 8 kn. But this weapon (I am referring to the Soviet version) appears to have only 10 min (or less) of endurance, so your sub never gets caught. Each knot of speed above 30 that your sub can manage will have a dramatic effect on this calculation. However, this argument does not make your sub invulnerable; it merely demonstrates why you should never launch this weapon at maximum range.

If we assume, as is reasonable, that the weapon will not be launched until your sub is within its lethal range, then you need to provide some additional air support in the way of a good fighter for the sub, and probably more than one fighter, and certainly you have to ensure a continuous resupply of fighters. How about a Tomcat at 80 miles? Phoenix missiles are free, right? Then it’s good-bye, sub-launched stand-off missile/torp, and then it’s good-bye, enemy sub.

It has been pointed out that coordinating a hunter-killer group including a sub is not possible because a submerged sub cannot communicate with the outside world. But this is a doctrine, not a physical restriction. As early as WW II, subs were in communication with other subs, airplanes, ships, and shore stations. For example, Admiral Galatin discusses this in his book “Take Her Deep”. (He does point out that one of the reasons the German wolfpacks were ultimately unsuccessful was that their communications were monitored by the Allies, once the Allies had that technology.) The main reason why subs don’t communicate is that they don’t want to reveal their presence. Since I am advocating that the sub turn its sonar on, it may as well be in direct communication with its air support. And, oh heck, travel on the surface with active radar as well! What are we afraid of? We have air superiority. What depth the sub is at and what sensors it is using have no bearing on how vulnerable our sub is to the only weapon that can actually hurt us: the sub-launched stand-off missile/torp.

To summarize, I claim that the optimum hunter/killer group for clearing a region of enemy subs is
1) Any fast sub with a good sonar. Its sonar will be ON. It may want to travel on the surface with radar active as well. The task of the sub is to either detect a stationary, silent enemy sub with the active sonar, or to provoke the enemy sub into taking some action that will reveal itself. Moving or noisy enemy subs will be revealed in any case.
2) A unit with a good SS radar whose primary task is to detect sub-launched stand-off missile/torps in the missile phase.
3) A good fighter to shoot down above missiles.
4) An ASW aircraft to exactly locate and then kill the enemy subs.

Several of these requirements might be handled by one unit. For example, the F/A-18 (probably configured for the long-range air-air mission) covers 2 and 3.

If nukes are in use, none of the above can be considered valid.

It has been pointed out that anyone can sit here and propose theoretical tactics, and the only meaningful test is to try them out against a human opponent. I agree. However, I do not have the technology to do this at this time. Perhaps someone else will be willing to give it a try.

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/9/2008 2:00:57 AM >

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 5
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/6/2008 3:44:30 PM   
CV32

VitP, although your analysis is always interesting, I'm afraid you've made many huge assumptions here, several of which are based on some rather inaccurate information. I don't have the energy to go through them piecemeal, but suffice to say that its clear from about 100 years of submarine operations now, no navy has subscribed to the theory that active sonar is the way to go for sub vs sub warfare.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 6
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/6/2008 7:56:45 PM   
Warhorse64

Victor, question for you: using active sonar means that your opponent will know you are in the area before you are able to get a fix on him. If you have air superiority, he's going to know that engaging your hunter sub is most likely a losing proposition. So how do you manage to force your opponent to engage? How do you keep him from just motoring off to the side out of your way until you pass, and then coming back in behind you to clobber whatever it is you're supposed to be clearing a path for?

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 7
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 12:51:32 AM   
scottthecanuck

How do you get AC to lay sonobuoys outside of formation editor. The manual says to place them at low alt. and loiter. I am doing this with ASW tasked AC but do not see sonbuoys appearing. What am I missing here?

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 8
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 2:37:17 AM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottthecanuck
How do you get AC to lay sonobuoys outside of formation editor. The manual says to place them at low alt. and loiter. I am doing this with ASW tasked AC but do not see sonbuoys appearing. What am I missing here?

Tap the "." (period) key while loitering at Low altitude.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to scottthecanuck)
Post #: 9
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 3:22:32 AM   
scottthecanuck

Thanks!

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 10
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 4:47:01 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

Victor, question for you: using active sonar means that your opponent will know you are in the area before you are able to get a fix on him. If you have air superiority, he's going to know that engaging your hunter sub is most likely a losing proposition. So how do you manage to force your opponent to engage? How do you keep him from just motoring off to the side out of your way until you pass, and then coming back in behind you to clobber whatever it is you're supposed to be clearing a path for?

Although I proposed this tactic using one sub / one fighter / one asw airplane, and nothing else, it is, as you point out, mostly about keeping enemy subs away from surface units that either are vulnerable to subs or that you don't want the enemy to detect. The surface units will be about 30 - 100 miles behind the sub, and I will hopefully be using a group of subs around the protected units.

If the enemy subs are going to be trying to get around my advancing radiating sub into the areas which I consider to be "safe", it seems to me that they will need to be traveling significant distances, which implies at significant speeds. I believe that my passive sonars will alert me to this. The better NATO sonars work out to 100 miles; the better Soviet ones work out to 65 miles.

The problem I am trying to deal with is the stationary, silent enemy sub which is lying in wait in my path of advance and which my passive sonar will not detect. I want to winkle him out before he gets too close to my units. I have explained above why I don't consider aircraft / sonobuoys adequate for this task. So the only thing left is active sonar, which doesn't care how silent or stationary the enemy sub is, as far as I know.

And again, as long as I have air superiority, I am not concerned too much about broadcasting the location of my sub. There is no asw weapon with a range greater than about 50 nm. As I have stated above, I think that the only weapon that my hunting sub has to fear is the sub-launched stand-off anti-sub missile/torp, and I think that I have a method to deal with that weapon.

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 11
Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/7/2008 7:49:19 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV32

quote:

Be certain that your NumLock key is in the OFF position for this to work.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 12
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/7/2008 3:32:52 PM   
Warhorse64

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

quote:

quote:

Be certain that your NumLock key is in the OFF position for this to work.

Or you can use the period key in the main body of the keyboard, which doesn't care about the NumLock key.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 13
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/7/2008 3:48:31 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse64
Or you can use the period key in the main body of the keyboard, which doesn't care about the NumLock key.

That one happens to be my favorite period key.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 14
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 5:35:47 PM   
FransKoenz

quote:

quote:

And again, as long as I have air superiority, I am not concerned too much about broadcasting the location of my sub. There is no asw weapon with a range greater than about 50 nm. As I have stated above, I think that the only weapon that my hunting sub has to fear is the sub-launched stand-off anti-sub missile/torp, and I think that I have a method to deal with that weapon.

Explain........ I'm one big ear!

Post #: 15
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/7/2008 6:05:01 PM   
Warhorse64

quote:

Although I proposed this tactic using one sub / one fighter / one asw airplane, and nothing else, it is, as you point out, mostly about keeping enemy subs away from surface units that either are vulnerable to subs or that you don't want the enemy to detect. The surface units will be about 30 - 100 miles behind the sub, and I will hopefully be using a group of subs around the protected units.

Well, I hope this is your main effort, because that's going to need at least most of the SSNs in the theatre, if you in fact even have enough available.

quote:

If the enemy subs are going to be trying to get around my advancing radiating sub into the areas which I consider to be "safe", it seems to me that they will need to be traveling significant distances, which implies at significant speeds. I believe that my passive sonars will alert me to this. The better NATO sonars work out to 100 miles; the better Soviet ones work out to 65 miles.

The enemy subs might not have to move all that fast. Your hunter sub will need to be moving quite slowly (under 10 knots) in order to keep self-noise low enough to detect the faint echo from a CZ target, especially since the target likely has an anechoic coating. Even considering the greater distance they must travel, the hostiles probably won't need to go as fast as 15 knots to dodge you, which means you won't likely get a passive detection outside of torpedo range. Bear in mind that the ranges listed are ideal, best-case scenarios. Real life is rarely so kind.

quote:

The problem I am trying to deal with is the stationary, silent enemy sub which is lying in wait in my path of advance and which my passive sonar will not detect. I want to winkle him out before he gets too close to my units. I have explained above why I don't consider aircraft / sonobuoys adequate for this task. So the only thing left is active sonar, which doesn't care how silent or stationary the enemy sub is, as far as I know.

Okay, let's say you get a contact in the first CZ. (You are highly unlikely to do any better against a modern sub.) At that range, the CZ is about 3 miles wide, and the ping takes about 40 - 45 seconds to get from your sub to the target. It probably takes a minute or two for you to decide you have a valid target rather than a whale or a school of fish, and another minute to inform the ASW plane of same. But if your target goes pedal to the metal as soon as he hears your sonar, it will take him less than 10 minutes to clear the CZ. Add in a few minutes for the ASW plane to get to the target area, and a few more for it to deploy a sonobuoy pattern, and it is by no means clear that you will be able to maintain the contact! So now you've got a situation where your opponent is creeping in on you, and he knows exactly where you are, but you don't know where he is. You can hope that your air support finds him, but you've already conceded that that's not a great bet. You can hope that your active sonar finds him again when he gets into direct path range, but if you stay near the surface, he can run in under the layer and be well into lethal range before you have a hope of spotting him. (The layer reflects active sonar that hits it at a shallow angle, just as clear glass reflects light at shallow angles.) You can drop down under the layer, but that takes you out of contact with your air support, and also exposes you to the danger of standoff ASW weapons because your radar is down. Are you beginning to see a problem, here?

quote:

BTW: Given that your method essentially holds the sub at the surface anyway, why are you using a sub? Why not just use a surface ship with good sonar?

Post #: 16
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/7/2008 6:06:06 PM   
Warhorse64

quote:

quote:

That one happens to be my favorite period key.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 17
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/8/2008 4:13:42 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

From Taitennek:

Explain........ I'm one big ear!

I'm not sure exactly which part of this you would like me to explain, so if the following is not adequate, ask again, or refute my explanation.

I have defined air superiority above. Let me add a few details. I am expecting no enemy combat vessels or asw aircraft in range. For example, in the Atlantic, there would be no Soviet combat vessels or asw aircraft. They simply wouldn't be there. NATO wouldn't even need any aircraft in the area to guarantee this. It would be handled by the NATO land-based air flying from Europe. There are other situations where one side has clear air superiority, such as when you have previously wiped out all opposing aircraft. So the only possible enemy combat units around are subs.

By broadcasting the location of my sub, I am guaranteeing that nearby enemy units will see me, and they will be able to vector other units in as well. But I am claiming that the only units that will be able to respond will be the submerged ones, due to the fact that I have air superiority.

Air superiority is a prerequisite. I am not suggesting the use of this tactic unless the prerequisite is met.

By ASW weapon I am referring to a gun, missile, rocket, or such. You might consider an airplane an ASW weapon, and an airplane certainly has a range of more than 50 miles, but I am distinguishing between weapons and platforms here. And, due to the above, the only ones I am really considering are the sub-launched ones.

ASW weapon ranges:

ASW torpedoes have a maximum range of about 25 nm for the best NATO ones. All other ones have a shorter range. I am estimating the lethal torpedo range as approx. half maximum range. I am very much expecting to detect the enemy sub before it gets within lethal torp range to my sub.

ASROC maximum range 30 nm for certain Soviet ships. Not relevant here.

sub-launched stand-off anti-sub missile/torp - the nasty one. Best range is 60 nm for the hypothetical NATO nuke. Best standard range is 50 nm for the Soviet one, and a LOT of Soviet boats carry this. A few US boats have one with a 30 nm range. That's all.

sub-launched stand-off anti-sub missile/torp

I consider this to be the nastiest asw weapon (after airplanes). If your sub attracts one of these while submerged, it won't know about it until it's in the torp phase, most likely within one mile of your sub, with a maximum impact time of 10 min. The only method I can think of to deal with it is to shoot it down in the missile phase. Hence the tactic described in this post, which is causing such a controversy. I understand that a sub can defeat a torp by maneuver and decoys, but the scale of Harpoon is not appropriate for me to use this. I am not satisfied with putting the fate of my sub in the hands of a random number generator.

Incidentally, does anyone else have a better solution to deal with this weapon?

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/8/2008 4:58:12 AM >

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 18
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/8/2008 5:19:13 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

quote:

Well, I hope this is your main effort, because that's going to need at least most of the SSNs in the theatre, if you in fact even have enough available.

It may well be my main effort in this phase of the battle. One possibility would be to keep my CVBG away from all forms of detection. Quite frankly, I am expecting a US CVBG to wipe out any enemy threats and for the escorts to wipe out any missiles that get through the fighters. And incidentally, notwithstanding some of the jokes I have made, I would expect the American taxpayers to be happy paying for all the Phoenix missiles used up in this effort. But I am paranoid and I want ZERO CONTACTS on my CVBG. The enemy may see millions of airplanes flying around and be able to deduce the presence of a CVBG, but even a BO missile launch is not possible without at least a minimal contact. If it is not a US CVBG, then it will not be able to deal with any significant air or missile attack, so we had better keep this one hidden, yes?

In the case of a CVBG, you betcha, it will be screened by as many subs as I can find. Incidentally, if you were wondering where all the fighters are coming from that are defending my subs, that's where.

In the case of a convoy, I treat it as a target. I do not want any enemy contacts on it. So I will be allocating as many subs as possible.

If I have many subs, they will be in a ring about 100 nm away from the target. This is far enough away for those stupid Leahys to not waste their SM2ERs shooting uselessly at the asw missile/torps, which by the way also prevents my fighters from shooting. And I hope that it is far enough away for the enemy subs to not see my target.

If I have only one sub available (small target), the target will be about 30 nm behind the sub.

quote:

The enemy subs might not have to move all that fast. Your hunter sub will need to be moving quite slowly (under 10 knots) in order to keep self-noise low enough to detect the faint echo from a CZ target, especially since the target likely has an anechoic coating. Even considering the greater distance they must travel, the hostiles probably won't need to go as fast as 15 knots to dodge you, which means you won't likely get a passive detection outside of torpedo range. Bear in mind that the ranges listed are ideal, best-case scenarios. Real life is rarely so kind.

I generally use 15 kn. I actually don't know what is the optimum speed. I may have some good data on this soon. Ditto for the numerical values of the detection probabilities.

quote:

BTW: Given that your method essentially holds the sub at the surface anyway, why are you using a sub? Why not just use a surface ship with good sonar?

Because there are no weapons with a range of greater than about 50 nm that work against subs. If all I have available to "winkle out" stationary, silent enemy subs is a surface ship with an active sonar, I am expecting a million long-range bombers to pound on my ship. OK, not really, I do have air superiority, but Oscars, Charlies, and Tomahawks, oh my, spring to mind.

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/9/2008 12:03:52 AM >

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 19
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/9/2008 12:05:29 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

quote:

Okay, let's say you get a contact in the first CZ. (You are highly unlikely to do any better against a modern sub.) At that range, the CZ is about 3 miles wide, and the ping takes about 40 - 45 seconds to get from your sub to the target. It probably takes a minute or two for you to decide you have a valid target rather than a whale or a school of fish, and another minute to inform the ASW plane of same. But if your target goes pedal to the metal as soon as he hears your sonar, it will take him less than 10 minutes to clear the CZ. Add in a few minutes for the ASW plane to get to the target area, and a few more for it to deploy a sonobuoy pattern, and it is by no means clear that you will be able to maintain the contact! So now you've got a situation where your opponent is creeping in on you, and he knows exactly where you are, but you don't know where he is. You can hope that your air support finds him, but you've already conceded that that's not a great bet. You can hope that your active sonar finds him again when he gets into direct path range, but if you stay near the surface, he can run in under the layer and be well into lethal range before you have a hope of spotting him. (The layer reflects active sonar that hits it at a shallow angle, just as clear glass reflects light at shallow angles.) You can drop down under the layer, but that takes you out of contact with your air support, and also exposes you to the danger of standoff ASW weapons because your radar is down. Are you beginning to see a problem, here?

This argument is sufficiently complex and good that it deserves its own section, and maybe its own thread. And Warhorse may force me to concede that my hunter/killer group may need to be strengthened, and may not be as applicable as I had supposed. But I don't think it will be refuted.

Let me start by saying that, so far in this thread, I have only described the general aspects of the proposed hunter/killer sub tactic. I will add some details here. The first phase is the hunting phase. Here I mostly rely on my sub to generate an initial contact. A variation might be if I detect a weapons launch but have no sub contact. A subphase would be dealing with any possible weapons launch, which would either involve my sub fleeing and/or my defensive air support doing its job. The second phase is the killing phase. As soon as some sort of contact has been generated, my sub goes silent (hides or flees). Its job is done. My offensive air support now eliminates the enemy sub.

According to data in the game and BattleBook, convergence zones appear to be about 10 nm wide.

The response times stated probably refer to real life. I have to admit that all I am working with is my observations of response times in the game.

As for how long it takes my air support to find and kill the enemy sub after one minimal contact, or if it can even maintain the contact, my Orion / Nimrod / May / pair of Vikings, parked about 50 nm away from the enemy sub, will be engaged within 10 min. Traveling at 30 kn, the enemy sub will have moved about 5 nm. That's about 1 sonobuoy, depending on direction of airplane motion. The airplane carries about 100 sonobuoys. The airplane travels 10 times as fast as the sub, so to a first approximation, the sub is stationary. A pattern of 10 sonobuoys should be sufficient to bracket the sub. Further sonobuoys will only be used up inadvertently, as my airplane moves around and loiters to refine the contact. Some stationary subs may be a bit hard for the sonobuoys to find, but if the enemy sub is pedal to the metal, cavitating to all bejasus, no way is the sonobuoy going to fail to spot it. Once the airplane is directly above the sub and has an exact contact, I drop 3-4 torps all at once, repeating if necessary. The sub is typically dead within seconds of the first torp launch.

The survival time of the enemy sub can be measured in minutes from the first contact. I have complete confidence in this statement. As soon as they hear the first ping of my sub's active sonar, the crew of the enemy sub should surface and put out the white flag.

I have stated that I prefer subs to airplanes for generating the first contact. But the fact that airplanes are by far the most effective way of killing subs after the first contact is beyond debate.

As soon as the ASW airplane is en route to kill this sub, its replacement is scrambled from the nearest base. Depending on how many ASW airplanes I have, the replacement may already be parked 100 nm away, and all I have to do is replace the replacement.

As for the enemy sub approaching my sub, bear in mind that I am using the best available attack subs for this job. They have good or excellent sensors, weapons, and speed. The enemy sub for sure knows where my sub is. But does the enemy really want to be trying to sneak up on my sub, which, please keep in mind, has friends parked overhead?

I do not understand the 3-dimensional aspect of submarine combat very well, either in real life, or in game terms. To what extent are units invisible to units on the other side of the thermal layer? Are there any reasons a sub can't be crossing the layer repeatedly?

Regarding communication with submerged subs, I do not know the full details of how this works, but I understand that as early as WW II, subs WERE in communication with other subs, ships, airplanes, and bases. I expect that today, with satellites and stuff, it should be much easier for this communication to happen. And I understand further that the sub being submerged is not a problem, especially if you only want to communicate with nearby units. There may be a depth restriction, but simply being submerged is not the issue.

Also consider that my sub does not need to be in continuous communication with its air support. The sub travels at 15 kn. To the airplane, my sub is almost stationary. If, once per hour, my sub tells the airplane course, speed, contacts, or simply "no news", that should present no problem whatsoever. My sub may need to approach the surface for a few minutes. If worst comes to worst, the sub doesn't need to tell the airplane anything at all except its initial course and speed. When my sub gets a contact, it sends "enemy sub there" and goes silent. This process may need to be refined, but today, when satellites can see the hair on a gnat, there can't be any significant problem.

Consider further, that if, as CV32 points out, subs are intended to perform reconnaissance of enemy dispositions, there must be some system to allow that information to be transmitted to base, because if you have to wait months for the sub to return to base, the information might be useless.

Finally consider that everybody who plays Harpoon is de facto acting as though all their units are in constant and instantaneous communication. I believe I have seen some debate about this elsewhere. Overall, everyone is simply deploying their units as they deem appropriate. All I am doing is using that shared information to coordinate a small tactical group which includes a submarine. I know that this point does not make my sub hunter/killer tactic realistic, but I have explained why I don't think that communication is a problem for the use I am proposing.

I have stated that my hunting sub may be traveling on the surface with radar on. Warhorse questions this procedure. OK, I admit, I am not proposing this as a standard procedure. The sub's radar isn't rally good enough to do the job. And, as Warhorse points out, there are other deficiencies to being on the surface. (On the other hand, just as an aside, you may some time want to amuse yourself by attracting computer-launched SS missiles and then submerge. Just as an aside.) My hunting sub traveling on the surface is really only viable in special situations, and as a last resort, and perhaps not at all.

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/9/2008 2:10:05 AM >

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 20
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/9/2008 12:41:40 AM   
FransKoenz

I wonder if VitP knows about the chararsitics of sonar or MAD. It is ping-ping [or what sound you may choose for that sonar beam] as long there is no echo from something massive, like steel, you may survive
But when there is a Pong......... you are detected and killed.

I'm still one ear when talking about dealing with Stand-off ASW and torpedoes.

< Message edited by Taitennek -- 12/9/2008 12:42:15 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/9/2008 7:11:00 AM   
VictorInThePacific

I have to apologize for wasting people's time. I have been working with an old version of the game (Harpoon Classic). I have just come across the following information:

The original Harpoon II / 3 database was flawed and detection ranges were much too great. Submarine duels turned into long-range torpedo shootouts instead of 'knife fights in a booth' as in real life. Submarines were also on the defensive in the ASuW battle, and were often little more than sitting ducks for ASW helicopters. Not so with the DB2000 database. The revised detection ranges are based on Larry Bond's excellent Harpoon4 boardgame ruleset as well as valuable input from ex-US Navy and German Navy ASW officers and u-boat drivers. Submarines are now the hunters and ships are prey. Detection ranges closely mirror those in real life, and anti-submarine warfare has become as realistic as it possibly can get in a commercially available simulator. Engagements between submarines usually take place at less than 2nm for diesel subs, and about 1-4nm for the latest high-tech nuclear attack submarines. As the commander of a modern US destroyer you'll be real lucky if your AN/SQR-19 towed array sonar detects a Victor III 5nm out, or an advanced Kilo SS or Akula SSN at 2nm. For most systems, detection occurs is in the 0.5-3nm range, and often the first thing your ships' sonar systems pick up is enemy torpedo launches.

(from http://www.harpoonhq.com/harpoon3/scenarios/features.html)

Until now I have not been aware that the game data has been so drastically changed, although some people have hinted at it.

Therefore nothing I have said in this post has any relevance to the current game.

(in reply to FransKoenz)
Post #: 22
RE: hunter-killer sub tactics - 12/9/2008 1:10:16 PM   
CV32

quote:

I have to apologize for wasting people's time. I have been working with an old version of the game ... Until now I have not been aware that the game data has been so drastically changed, although some people have hinted at it. Therefore nothing I have said in this post has any relevance to the current game.

Don't feel too bad about it, VitP. Although I think your approach was wrong, i.e. develop the theory and then look for data to support it. (Shoulda been the other way around. ) I do admire your willingness to dive into a specific issue and analyze the living krap out of it. Lastly, you need to buy HCE and then we can have some meaningful discussion.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> hunter-killer sub tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI