Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Grenades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> After Action Reports >> Grenades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Grenades - 12/5/2008 9:20:05 PM   
ferguson01

I've managed to capture 4 areas now. starting area, roadblock, safari, and train station at moderate difficulty level. I pretty much had to cheat though, saving the game every couple shots and reloading each time an enemy threw a grenade.

Then when I reloaded the game, I would focus fire on the guy I now knew had a grenade.

I have tried to play it clean, but those grenades are instant death for at least one merc, sometimes two.
The enemy can throw grenades super far! like perhaps 20% of the map length, and they often land right between my legs.

Now, I understand that grenades are powerful. they would kill a person, no doubt about it. But they feel a little bit game breaking to me. I've tried always keeping some extra movement left over on the off chance that I could see a grenade coming and run away. But grenades don't seem to trigger interrupts. Laying down only helps when the grenades don't land in your lap. So, that doesn't seem to be the trick.

Hillsides don't seem to help much either. It seems throwing up a hill is just as easy as shooting down. Its too bad, when I had height on someone I though I was golden!

Anyone find any good technique for avoiding these WMDs of hired-guns-land?

Post #: 1
RE: Grenades - 12/5/2008 10:16:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

My experience has been that being prone vastly reduces grenade damage. Also, I find firepower to be the best defense against grenades. A good, accurate merc team firing with max aim can in my experience take down the enemy before they get to grenade throwing range.

There are a few scenarios where the enemy start closer and those can be tougher. Close range grenades of your own and leg shots to cripple the enemy can limit the amount of return throwing.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ferguson01)
Post #: 2
RE: Grenades - 12/5/2008 11:37:42 PM   
SeanD

One other factor that is very important for grenades is armor. I know you're still probably not getting the option to buy good armor since it's early on in the game for you but you'll find when the Kevlar and the assault vests start showing up at Dickie Jay's that the grenades can in most cases aren't as much of a threat. They knock the wind outta your guys and maybe take a few action points away but armored pants, an assault vest, and a solid Kevlar helmet generally means you can straight up ignore pretty much any grenade except one stuffed into your mouth.

I guess I'm just repeating the point I made in the FAQ - don't skimp on equipment!

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager

(in reply to ferguson01)
Post #: 3
RE: Grenades - 12/6/2008 2:54:21 AM   
Erik Rutins

True - I often try to hire mercs with Kevlar early on, so I hadn't noticed that as much.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 4
RE: Grenades - 12/7/2008 1:10:22 PM   
Imvarda

It seems the mods here are playing a different game or are plain ignorant.
No offense.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Grenades - 12/7/2008 3:01:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

Right... well, I can only report on what I've experienced. Grenades are certainly lethal, but much less so if prone and wearing armor. Spacing your squad out also greatly limits their overall effectiveness.

Also, is this on the Easy level, which we recommend everyone start at?

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/7/2008 3:20:44 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Imvarda)
Post #: 6
RE: Grenades - 12/7/2008 3:33:56 PM   
Imvarda

On easy the rate of grenades being thrown at you is decreased, but the AI is decreased in such a way that the computer acts like a retard.

It's a difficult situation though because grenades are realistic and they should stay in, but it's to have a real chance of sticking with a few mercs (including your own) until endgame...the way grenades kick your ass now that's highly unlikely.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Grenades - 12/7/2008 5:15:38 PM   
Zipuli

Grenades seem too accurate, and to me it seems that AI can throw them over twice as long as my mercs. And I am using mini 'nades!

(in reply to Imvarda)
Post #: 8
RE: Grenades - 12/7/2008 6:06:01 PM   
Joram

I have to second what Sean and Erik are seeing to be honest.  With care you don't have to worry too much but inevitably you will lose some people to grenades.  I just don't sweat it, there's other mercs.

Now, with that said, I do think it is unbalanced a bit and I'll explain why.

The best tip is to just stay out of range and engage them however there is a very distinct lack of rifles early on in the game.  Yes, you can find some garands but with no ammo!  So either give me more ammo or have DJ sell other rifles with ammo.

Secondly, The enemy has a ton of grenades, literally, I think I saw an allied van line with grenades in one battle.  Given there's no way to stay out of range and fire at them, how about just toning down their frequency a bit. 

Thirdly, there are very few grenades available to mercs early on.  I'm ok getting into a grenade war if I at least had some to play with.  But I don't. 

So, given that one, there's almost no range weapons to hold them off, two, the preponderance of grenades the enemy has, and three, the lack of grenades we have - I can easily see how frustrating this can be.

I don't have any issue with the strength of grenades.  In fact, I recall surviving one nearly point blank thanks to some assault armor.  Barely survive, but hey, lived at least.  Armor, spacing, and cover are key.  Can't stress that enough.

I have not really noticed the extended range they throw because I rarely throw back due to lack of grenades, so I don't know if they can throw further than me or not.

(in reply to Zipuli)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> After Action Reports >> Grenades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI