Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kaiserschlacht 1918

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Kaiserschlacht 1918 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/3/2008 5:15:10 PM   
Zorchi

First hello to all.
I've been looking at toaw3 AAR boards for a long time, but never wrote anything. I like to come every then and again and read all those new AARs page by page, because i find them very entertaining and interesting.
I mostly play short pbem scenarios with a buddy ('beer and pretzels' scenarios meaning not beeing 'worthy' of putting them down in an AAR).
But we decided to play a little bigger one this time and this beasty is probably borderline, but still qualifies to be 'worthy' of an AAR.

So on to the scenario.
It is Kaiserschlacht 1918, the last german major attempt on the western front to change the course of WWI and force Entente forces to surrender, before americans come in numbers.

I play as central powers and my buddy as entente forces.

As this is WW1, arty(or better proper utilization of arty) is the key to the victory. I've played this scenario with PO as allies and bitterly lost after starting major success.

To recap that battle, i was just whamming british forces with my arty (on ignore loses) for the whole first turn. I managed to get 4 batlles, where on the last 2 i would use stosstrupen to assist with limited attack. End result was i managed to evaporate every second british infantry unit in the first fornt line, but i have not moved any of my own into the breach. Turns 2 to 6 i managed to exploit this succes somewhat and pushed the british to the Arras-Bapaum-Perone-Nesle-Ham-Tergnier, whereupon things started to go really bad really quickly, partly beacuse reinfrcements and a big reillroad network and partly because i think PO recombined its units, so at this point my stosstrupen were practicly in splinters and i only defended till the end against fresh british-french fromations. After the end as i inspected the map, i saw that entente forces were not that many as i had thought, they were just 'bigger'.

So for this one i plan to go forward as quickly as possible and to destroy as many entente forces befre those reinforcements start coming in. First few turns CP(central powers) have bonuses that i need to exploit for maximum effect. And I especially need to do as much damage as possible to those two british armies that are in reorganization so i planed accordingly. I employed only arty on the first cycle of battles and whacked at 4 places, so that i destroyed fortifications. For the second wave i already used stosstrupen on limited attack, and for the third i attacked. I managed to puncture through all four places and started arty shelling and stosstruppen limited attack on a second line where it existed(if not i just tried to move as much troops in the breach as posible). I think i managed 5 battle cycles. This agressive stance has come at a great cost and now wonder if i have acted corectly. Yes british front is in shambles and i have plans for a few encirclements but i have already stosstrupen troops that are below 10(urg) in strenght.

So this is the map at the beginning.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zorchi -- 12/3/2008 6:32:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/3/2008 5:20:13 PM   
Zorchi

And after the first turn...
(As i have not saved screnshot before i saved my turn, i just loaded the allied first turn and saved the screenshot)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorchi)
Post #: 2
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/3/2008 5:42:43 PM   
Zorchi

Current status.
(Again, as i had forgotten to save before i saved and sent, this is the beggining of turn 2, after i loaded turn one for allies. So reinf for my side are counted in but no casualties due to entente first turn attacks. So all casualties are for the first turn.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorchi)
Post #: 3
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/3/2008 5:51:31 PM   
Silvanski

Nice to see an AAR of this scenario.
It's gonna be a bloody affair, as there is no room for manoeuver like in WW2 scenarios.
Wherever the German troops wanna go, they have to blast their way through

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Zorchi)
Post #: 4
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/3/2008 6:29:18 PM   
Zorchi

And a niffy little giffy for the first turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 5
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/7/2008 3:11:59 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorchi
...and partly because i think PO recombined its units, so at this point my stosstrupen were practicly in splinters and i only defended till the end against fresh british-french fromations. After the end as i inspected the map, i saw that entente forces were not that many as i had thought, they were just 'bigger'.

There's a house rule against recombining the units that begin the game sub-divided. But I couldn't get the PO to obey that rule.

(in reply to Zorchi)
Post #: 6
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/7/2008 5:09:03 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
There's a house rule against recombining the units that begin the game sub-divided. But I couldn't get the PO to obey that rule.

To prevent Elmer from doing this, those divided units really need to be individual units on their own...
I realize that reworking the OOB would require a bunch of work

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/7/2008 9:44:15 PM   
Zorchi

Curtis
Thought so, and when i went to read the briefing again, at the end there was the same "warning".

While waiting for my buddy to send me his turn, I played Kaiserschlacht 1918(mini) (also a heck of a fun map). Here I managed a draw (took half of the map, but not Amiens and didnt managed to free my northern units).
...and while still waiting i played Sevastopol map as axis also... I won that one on 10 turn.(it could be won on 9 or maybe 8th turn by a pro) That map showed me what a crappy opponent Elmer can be. Good defence positions, even briefing gave warning about hard map and problems of wining before turn 20 but that probably goes for PBEM only. Gees, Elmer literally handed me almost undefended Petrov(HQ) unit on a platter, and with it quick victory.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zorchi -- 12/7/2008 10:34:50 PM >

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 8
RE: Kaiserschlacht 1918 - 12/7/2008 10:31:22 PM   
Zorchi

Bad Elmer...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorchi)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Kaiserschlacht 1918 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI