Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I have questions on Battle resolution screen.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> I have questions on Battle resolution screen. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I have questions on Battle resolution screen. - 12/8/2008 7:46:46 PM   
GBS

The two vertical columns slowly fill with blue and gray and the battle progresses. Thgere is a numbr at the top of each column. What does this represent?
Has a battle ever been won by the side that had the lowest number in their column?
Has a side with the fewer troops committed ever won a battle?
Can there be a draw with both sides withdrawing to lick their wounds?
Post #: 1
RE: I have questions on Battle resolution screen. - 12/8/2008 8:55:16 PM   
silber

The columns represent the percentage of the troops available from that side which are actually committed, with the number being the total number of strength points. I'm not sure whether it only counts infantry/militia, or if cavalry and artillery are factored in.

Since commanders have a great deal of influence, it is frequently the case that the side with the lower number wins. However, typically if your number less than half that of your opponent you will lose, unless heavily fortified. Note that a good commander will not only give you bonuses, but a higher percentage of your force will be committed, and will be committed early.

I frequently see the side with fewer troops win, even on the offensive (if it is a good AC with good Corps commanders). However, in many such cases the "winner" will take proportionally (or even absolutely) more casualties.

No draws.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: I have questions on Battle resolution screen. - 12/9/2008 9:14:02 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: silber

The columns represent the percentage of the troops available from that side which are actually committed, with the number being the total number of strength points. I'm not sure whether it only counts infantry/militia, or if cavalry and artillery are factored in.

Since commanders have a great deal of influence, it is frequently the case that the side with the lower number wins. However, typically if your number less than half that of your opponent you will lose, unless heavily fortified. Note that a good commander will not only give you bonuses, but a higher percentage of your force will be committed, and will be committed early.

I frequently see the side with fewer troops win, even on the offensive (if it is a good AC with good Corps commanders). However, in many such cases the "winner" will take proportionally (or even absolutely) more casualties.

No draws.

Historically, the side that took lower percentage casualties in the battle almost always (that is, about 90% of the time) won. If that's not happening in the game, the game is wrong.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> I have questions on Battle resolution screen. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI