Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Maybe a wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> RE: Maybe a wish list Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 1:18:14 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

is there a way to see what the Merc's health is out side of the tact screens ?

Yea, right click the area in the bottom left of the strat screen and all the mercs pop up showing stats (green means they have increased in that stat) and health etc.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 31
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 1:23:02 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

Fair enough but I shouldn't have to get a TPA to do what 99% of games already do these days. That's why it's called a "wish list" anyway...

OK, I wish HG would do the dishes for me. I hate washing dishes!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 32
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 1:33:39 PM   
dodger bullet

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: dodger bullet

can we have a realistic version? where one bullet is fatal, and enemies drop what they're equipped with?

If they added that then it would apply to your own Mercs too. That would kill the gameplay.

no. it'll be like JA 1.13 with realistic value of gun damage. not 30 45s to the torso and the guy can still nade you graveyard dead.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 33
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 1:35:10 PM   
dodger bullet

quote:

quote:

quote:

can we have a realistic version? where one bullet is fatal, and enemies drop what they're equipped with?

If they added that then it would apply to your own Mercs too. That would kill the gameplay.

no. it'll be like JA 1.13 with realistic value of gun damage. not 30 45s to the torso and the guy can still nade you graveyard dead.

it's just a wishlist milk. don't be a negative nancy now and add consternation and needless heckling to an otherwise productive thread.

(in reply to dodger bullet)
Post #: 34
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 2:40:30 PM   
Hard Sarge

I think what they are asking for, with  realistic value of gun damage, is that a 30-06 to the Chest or Head is not a good thing to have happen to you, I have gotten Arm Kills with a 9mm, and have seen a guy take 3 head shots with a 30-06 and not even be damaged (still has the same damage level as before the hits)

(did have a nice one though, shot at a Officer on the bridge, missed him and hit a guy up on the cliff face, in the leg, and watched him slip and fall off the cliff and then die when he hit the bottom (that was a rifle round)

I got one of my gals taking out the dieing, 3 head shots from point blank range and the dieing guy is still dieing (9mm)

I am getting some nice chest hits, but most are still only doing -2 damage

a pain to be shooting at legs all the time

(not to bore you or to bragg, but this is part of my background, I was the Pit NCO on a Rifle range, I was a expert with a Rifle, a High Expert with a Pistol, was asked to join the Div Rifle Team, did train people to fire Rifles and Pistols (Match and field) in the Corps, we had a 200, 300 , 500, 1000 and 1200 yard line for fireing, some of the guys (and Gals) could put 10 rounds into the bull from 1000 yards with iron sights, and the bull is 6 inch)

(so far, none of these Merks would be allowed to join my team, until they did some training and learned some fireing skills)

Post #: 35
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 4:38:23 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I've still got three suggestions to improve the gameplay, now that we have a way to edit the breath, camera and NPC strength issues:

1. I wish we didn't get rifles and assault guns so quickly in the game. I liked how in JA2, you always started out with handguns and then it was a big deal when you found a rifle after a battle. When we(and the enemy) start HG with mac10's and Uzi's, why bother even having handguns for sale? It may be more realistic to have assault rifles from the very beginning, but IMO it cheapens the sense of accomplishment and discovery. Finding a crate of Garands would've been very exciting had the mercs all started out with .38's and Baretta's.

2. The grammar, and the writing in general needs a complete overhaul. The story is not compelling, the translations are horrible and grammatical faux-pas are legion. Also, it is sadly lacking in humor, which IMO is a huge mistake in their design decision.

3. The whole LOS situation need to be improved. It shouldn't cost 3-6 AP's for me to have my merc try to shoot at an enemy with a red target over his head, only to have that merc tell me he can't shoot at that. If he can't shoot at a target, then it shouldn't have a red target over it's head.

I actually think this game has good potential, but it needs some work. There is a lot of good in the game, and the fact that I want to see it get better instead of just dumping it, says a lot.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 36
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 6:16:31 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

is there a way to see what the Merc's health is out side of the tact screens ?

Yea, right click the area in the bottom left of the strat screen and all the mercs pop up showing stats (green means they have increased in that stat) and health etc.

am I doing this wrong ? I get the stats, but not the health ?

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 37
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 11:26:55 PM   
Trifler

I would like to see the number of grenades an enemy NPC has be finite.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 38
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/8/2008 11:58:14 PM   
milkweg

quote:

Oops, that's wrong. Left click on the stores in the bottom left and it also brings up your mercs so you can see their current health level on the strat screen.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 39
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:01:20 AM   
milkweg

quote:

am I doing this wrong ? I get the stats, but not the health ?

Sorry, was going by memory and told you the wrong thing to do. Left click on stores and you see the same info you would see in the tact screen for your mercs. I'm assuming you mean the red health bar, right?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 40
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:07:37 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trifler

I would like to see the number of grenades an enemy NPC has be finite.

In c:\Matrix Games\Hired Guns\basis\scripts\logic\constants.xml there's all kind of interesting stuff you can play around with..one of them being TOSSES_PER_10TURNS, which according to babelfish means the number of grenade tosses a character can throw in 10 turns. Now, I don't know if this variable would affect NPC's only, Merc's only, or every character...but you could always lower the value and see what happens. Just make sure to create a backup copy ofthe original constants.xml, constants_easy.xml or constants_hard.xml, depending on which level of difficulty you're playing on.

(in reply to Trifler)
Post #: 41
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:17:17 AM   
milkweg

quote:

I downloaded that mod for JA2 just two days ago but haven't installed it yet. Don't know if I will like my mercs being killed with just one shot but will check it out.

Post #: 42
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:28:41 AM   
SeanD

As I've hinted to before - we're working on an update to fix the grenade problem ASAP. We'll make sure everything is tweaked to difficulty etc.

For the adventurous people who want a quick but not in depth fix you can always pop into the things.xml file and change the kit load outs for characters. As you can see in that file, the most common enemies do have finite grenades but they have quite a few. Delete some of those cells with nades or cut back the number of nades.

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 43
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:37:37 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanD

As I've hinted to before - we're working on an update to fix the grenade problem ASAP. We'll make sure everything is tweaked to difficulty etc.

For the adventurous people who want a quick but not in depth fix you can always pop into the things.xml file and change the kit load outs for characters. As you can see in that file, the most common enemies do have finite grenades but they have quite a few. Delete some of those cells with nades or cut back the number of nades.

I also noticed all the Mercs from JA2 in that things.xml file, Sean. What's up with that?

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 44
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 1:55:41 AM   
SeanD

HG was originally developed as JA3 if I remember correctly. This was years ago before Matrix was ever involved. The developers back then must have inputted that character info and then when the project changed direction they cut out the JA content but they must have missed this little snippet.

Sean Drummy

Post #: 45
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 3:20:57 AM   
NobillyT

Another wish to add to the wishlist: that in-game nighttime looks like...well...night. As it is, the day and night look the same.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 46
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 4:31:44 AM   
SeanD

This may be the case and we can look into making some visual bells and whistles to differentiate between the dark/light. However, bear in mind that visibility is decreased at night (duh) even though you may not see dark on the tactical map there are "night" modifiers at play .

Sean Drummy

(in reply to NobillyT)
Post #: 47
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 4:46:57 AM   
ShadoWarrior

It would help if we at least knew if it is night or day. When exactly is dawn and dusk in HG?

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 48
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 5:14:52 AM   
NobillyT

quote:

This may be the case and we can look into making some visual bells and whistles to differentiate between the dark/light.

Cool. I try not to be too much of a graphics whore, and the graphics in the game looks good enough for me, but I a dark night would help with the suspension of disbelief.

I'd settle for one lighting state during daylight hours (the one that's already there) and another state for night. And since time doesn't pass during tactical missions, you'll be staying in the lighting state you begin the mission in for the entire mission anyway, so dynamic night/day cycles don't need to be worried about.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 49
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 8:22:21 AM   
mmalficia

nod i admit  in a normal run on my game moneys very tight i cant seem to  keep  key sectors defended well enough :>    but with my luck of the draw as far as weapons, i miss JA2 insector mechent npcs to either sell to or buy spare ammo from  .. either thats just not in HG  or i havent found  one yet..  

anyone  find any enlistable  npcs  besides your main merc ? (ie  that arnt costing an arm and a leg )

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 50
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 9:23:36 AM   
Hard Sarge

I don't mind the cost for going from prone to knee, or prone to standing, but, if shot and knocked down, the cost should be much higher

(in fact, most people shot with a Rifle type weapon in the leg, don't stand again for while)

(in reply to mmalficia)
Post #: 51
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 10:58:54 AM   
zhanga

Hard Sarge - You may be right that the mercs in the game aren't too crash hot shooters. But I think the game models real combat situations where there's moving targets, smoke and fire, explosions and sudden encounters. This is not exactly a shooting range. With all due respect to your team of sharp shooters, the guys and gals in your team would be lucky to even see a target 20 feet away on a real field of battle than putting a round into someone at 1000 yards. In this respect I think the game is realistic in this respect including the frustration.

I'm enjoying this game immensely, been waiting for something like this for 10 years since JA2. And I have to say this game beats Silent Storm (SS is not a bad game btw) by a long shot. Thanks Matrix for publishing this one, it could have been lost so easily...

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 52
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 11:06:06 AM   
Hard Sarge

I think we need to look at carry costs, they are just plain silly, Jabby is at 104, and he has 26 pounds of gear (normal frontline Grunt carries 90 or so nowadays)

plus weight on your body (Hel/vest/pants) don't mean the same thing as something in your hands

which is also the whole idea of web gear (which about 15 pounds for him is all carry weight, not holding weight)

(the old Flak Vest was heavy, but once on, you didn't notice it, other then it was hot and bulky, the Kevlar, was light and you only noticed the heat)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 53
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 11:08:38 AM   
milkweg

quote:

(so far, none of these Merks would be allowed to join my team, until they did some training and learned some fireing skills)

Well, that's just it, the game was just released a few days ago so I doubt anyone has any highly skilled mercs yet because they either won't work for you or are too expensive to hire. Not being a "negative nancy", just a realist. Not saying some values don't need to be tweaked just realize that it is an abstracted strat game that is designed for fun and not RL hitman sniper squads.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 54
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 11:14:39 AM   
milkweg

quote:

it's just a wishlist milk. don't be a negative nancy now and add consternation and needless heckling to an otherwise productive thread.

Boo! Hisss! ;)

Maybe it would be more appropriate if I changed my username to milkweed?

Post #: 55
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 12:30:06 PM   
Scautura

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

quote:

I also noticed all the Mercs from JA2 in that things.xml file, Sean. What's up with that?

I noticed an "imp_set" - yet my IMP doesn't have any kit! It would be useful if he actually started with something (even a 92F and a couple of 9mm clips)

Post #: 56
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 1:07:31 PM   
CowGod

The shop should also have much of the equipment from the start. In reality DJ did not open for buisness just for you, he might have been in buisness for severall years so why does he have old crap stuff? He should supply almost everything, it would be better and more realistic. Anyway....even if the heavy loudout is there, you cannot afford it early in the game but at least you can decide if you want to invest on a decent sniper of a good assault guy. Without some good firepower, you cannot do this! Also these hardened mercenaries have very little-if any- ammo when you hire them. So my wish list is as follows

• DJ's shop should have almost all the stuff from the start.
  • Hired mercs should have more decent equipment.
  • I agree with the rest of the wish lists above as well.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 57
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 2:01:56 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

Well, that's just it, the game was just released a few days ago so I doubt anyone has any highly skilled mercs yet because they either won't work for you or are too expensive to hire. Not being a "negative nancy", just a realist. Not saying some values don't need to be tweaked just realize that it is an abstracted strat game that is designed for fun and not RL hitman sniper squads.

I think you misunderstood me, I meant, if I was hiring, none of these guys would be able to make my team, you need to at least be as good as I am, or have some skills I don't have, and outside of running for speed, I was pretty well trained

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 58
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 2:29:41 PM   
CowGod

I agree, i have the same problem as well!!! xit loads of guns......without ammo. why is that a dead enemy drops a gun without ammo? maybe he ate it? :)

And another thing that hugley bugs me. DJ is now supplying a huge ammount of advanced guns but guess what? he's still offering the small caliber ammo like 9mm, .45 and shells anly!!!!!!! doesn't make sense.

< Message edited by CowGod -- 12/9/2008 3:06:50 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 59
RE: Maybe a wish list - 12/9/2008 5:22:15 PM   
Hard Sarge

you know, I still think the torso thing is a bug, we keep getting told, that well it is the bullet hitting the armor the may be wearing, but then was does AP ammo do the same two points that ball or HP (OC) ammo does ?

plus and I am not sure how far along we have gotten with the tech, but, back in the day, vests were called Flak Jackets, they were designed to stop scrapnel, not bullets, the Media, is the one that came out with the bullet proof vest name, a Flak Jacket may stop a 38 or a buckshot, but most High Powered ammo goes right though them (at the time, it was a trade off on weight, make it strong enough to stop bullets and it weights too much to wear)

(in reply to CowGod)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> RE: Maybe a wish list Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI