Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/14/2008 12:28:48 AM   
wdolson

There has been a function since the original game that undefended bases will change hands if there are enemy units in the area.  It's some kind of random event that causes the switch.  I haven't looked at the code for the conditions under which it happens.

So if the Japanese abandon a base in Burma and the Allies don't get around to moving a unit there, it will probably change hands back to the Allies eventually.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 511
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/14/2008 1:40:10 AM   
witpqs

I understand that, but I thought his question was different. I thought he was asking about when Japan is on the offensive early in the war and blows right through Moulmein with units that keep advancing toward the next target, perhaps even chasing Allied units. That being the case the closest units would be Japanese.

However, the closest bases might be Allied - would that make a difference?

I might have misinterpreted, but that's what I thought he meant.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 512
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/14/2008 5:48:35 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I understand that, but I thought his question was different. I thought he was asking about when Japan is on the offensive early in the war and blows right through Moulmein with units that keep advancing toward the next target, perhaps even chasing Allied units. That being the case the closest units would be Japanese.

However, the closest bases might be Allied - would that make a difference?

I might have misinterpreted, but that's what I thought he meant.

Yes, that is what I meant. The way the CHS map is, moving up from Moulmein, the unit moves one hex up the road/rail and has to move back down to Rangoon. Rangoon is is the same distance to Moulmein as the Japanese yet because of the river and the Japanese would have to move by sea to get to Moulmein. The auto check for change in ownership changes ownership back to the allies forcing the Japanese AI to keep moving back to retake Moulmein despite the fact they would be blocked by the Japanese.

A strong defense at Rangoon might be the culprit. I am not privy to the code, but perhaps the code looks at the number of men at a base to determine the auto change. In my game I moved the Burmese units to Rangoon and fortified the city. Japanese came with one Division and eventually some armor {I think} and did not have enough to take Rangoon.

Dropping the auto change and going to last unit ownership would fix this problem, but I do not know if it would cause others. The Auto change is a nice idea, but it appears to be broken by the terrain surrounding Rangoon.

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 10/14/2008 5:50:56 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 513
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/14/2008 8:17:29 PM   
witpqs

Maybe auto change should go by supply/LCU movement distance instead of distance as the crow flies. That would cause the calculation to use the same roads, etc as the LCU's instead of telepathy through the jungle.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 514
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/21/2008 10:28:55 PM   
Jorm

Hi Andrew

what 'off map' areas will be available

i see Panama in the screen shots,
how about aden and madagasca ?

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 515
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/21/2008 10:54:08 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm

Hi Andrew

what 'off map' areas will be available

i see Panama in the screen shots,
how about aden and madagasca ?

Hi Jorm,

No Madagascar. The off map areas are: Panama, North American East coast (USA/Canada), Port Stanley (Falkland Islands), Cape Town (SA), Mombasa (East Africa), Aden, Aabadan (Persian Gulf), UK.

Andrew

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 516
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/22/2008 1:54:07 PM   
John Lansford

Will the off map areas have the capability to repair ships, or are they just staging areas for where ships will first arrive?

Post #: 517
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/23/2008 8:33:03 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Will the off map areas have the capability to repair ships, or are they just staging areas for where ships will first arrive?

A few do have repair capability.

Andrew

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 518
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 1:06:50 AM   
Q-Ball

Interesting Off-Map areas.

Why Port Stanley?

Post #: 519
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 1:42:09 AM   
JeffroK

Cos it was a refueling point for ships doing the Cape Horn route.

Maybe a bit less in Oil fired rather than Coal fired days.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 520
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 4:21:12 AM   
Yamato hugger

Mainly to represent the ability of going through the Straights of Magellan I should think.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 521
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 4:37:47 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Mainly to represent the ability of going through the Straights of Magellan I should think.

Yes, that's why it is there. It is another entry point into the Pacific (which involves long distance sailing).

Andrew

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 522
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 4:40:25 AM   
bradfordkay

I gather that there's varying time periods for transfers between the different of-map areas? 

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 523
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 10:17:05 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I gather that there's varying time periods for transfers between the different of-map areas? 

Yes, based on the sailing distances to the off-map bases.

Andrew

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 524
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 12:17:02 PM   
m10bob

Will there be a "chance to" in way of risking going from England to theatre via the Suez Canal?

The Rhona was sunk in the Med enroute to Kowloon via India.

Post #: 525
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 8:44:23 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Will there be a "chance to" in way of risking going from England to theatre via the Suez Canal?

The Rhona was sunk in the Med enroute to Kowloon via India.

No. This sort of thing was considered (such as having "U-boats", either real or simulated, attack ships moving between "off-map" areas) but we decided to leave it out. Too many other things to do, and this is "War in the Pacific", after all.

Andrew

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 526
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 10:36:31 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Hi Jorm,

No Madagascar. The off map areas are: Panama, North American East coast (USA/Canada), Port Stanley (Falkland Islands), Cape Town (SA), Mombasa (East Africa), Aden, Aabadan (Persian Gulf), UK.

Andrew

Will they function the same as 'normal' on map bases? Or will they play a little differently?

For instance, the offmap base Port Stanley would represent just a single base, airfield and so on. However, the East Coast or the United Kingdom would represent a huge number of ports, airfields and troop bases/staging areas and unlimited storage capacity for anything (troops, ships, aircraft, supplies, ect.).

So will they be represented by something more than 'East Coast: Size 10 Airfield, Size 10 Port'? Also, will they have their own 'base forces' so we can store planes and troops there to refit?

Thanks in advance.

Chad

Post #: 527
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 10:52:45 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
Will they function the same as 'normal' on map bases? Or will they play a little differently?

For instance, the offmap base Port Stanley would represent just a single base, airfield and so on. However, the East Coast or the United Kingdom would represent a huge number of ports, airfields and troop bases/staging areas and unlimited storage capacity for anything (troops, ships, aircraft, supplies, ect.).

So will they be represented by something more than 'East Coast: Size 10 Airfield, Size 10 Port'? Also, will they have their own 'base forces' so we can store planes and troops there to refit?

Thanks in advance.

Chad

They are just bases, like on-map ones. There is no special code for them. Most of them do have their own (static) base forces. There is nothing stopping the Allied player from moving other base forces (or any other unit) there if he wants to, however.

Keep in mind that the facilities at these bases is not the sum total of the actual facilities present, but the portion of those facilities made available for the Pacific campaign. For example, the "UK" base has a size 100 repair yard. In reality there would be well over a thousand points of repair yards in the UK, but only 100 points are available for repairing ships sent there from the Pacific/CBI theatres - all of the rest is considered to be allocated to other priorities.

Andrew

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 528
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/24/2008 11:38:21 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

They are just bases, like on-map ones. There is no special code for them. Most of them do have their own (static) base forces. There is nothing stopping the Allied player from moving other base forces (or any other unit) there if he wants to, however.

Keep in mind that the facilities at these bases is not the sum total of the actual facilities present, but the portion of those facilities made available for the Pacific campaign. For example, the "UK" base has a size 100 repair yard. In reality there would be well over a thousand points of repair yards in the UK, but only 100 points are available for repairing ships sent there from the Pacific/CBI theatres - all of the rest is considered to be allocated to other priorities.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Nice to see these additions well thought out and the greatest effort made to have this game represent reality in every way possible.

Post #: 529
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/25/2008 12:07:54 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

...They are just bases, like on-map ones. There is no special code for them. ...

Andrew

Said the man that did not have to write the off map TF movement code.

Post #: 530
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/25/2008 1:38:32 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

...They are just bases, like on-map ones. There is no special code for them. ...

Andrew

Touché!

Andrew

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 531
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/25/2008 4:58:45 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

Andrew

He meant that for a talented programmer like you it was nothing special.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 532
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/25/2008 9:32:19 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

Thanks in advance.

Chad

Off map bases can not be attacked by IJN forces in any way. Yes they have base forces and yes you can add troops if you want. They have sizes just like on map bases. And yes, the "east coast" is 1 "base" (as is the UK a single "base").

Edit: And allied air units based in them can not affect the on-map area at all.

Post #: 533
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 11/25/2008 3:22:58 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Off map bases can not be attacked by IJN forces in any way. Yes they have base forces and yes you can add troops if you want. They have sizes just like on map bases. And yes, the "east coast" is 1 "base" (as is the UK a single "base").

Edit: And allied air units based in them can not affect the on-map area at all.

With that in mind, I suppose having 3000 aircraft sitting on the 'East Coast' base isnt really an issue.

Personally, the offmap bases and movement is one of the biggest improvements in AE in my opinion.

Did we mention we are anxious for this game?

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 534
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 11:50:43 AM   
Speedysteve

Guys,

A query on Leyte. From reading a few books (most recently Hastings' Nemesis) it appears the general consensus is that Leyte was NOT a suitable place for construction of and provision of oddles of runways and planes. Quite simply put the marshy environment made any construction of hard runways if not impossible highly problematic and improbable for extensive use.

Does Leyte have a lower Airfield SPS than in Stock?

Regards,

Steven

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 535
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 12:04:18 PM   
m10bob

Maybe linked to the last question..IRL the area around Darwin had maybe 20 airfields, and since each hex equals more than just that one location, will more bases in each hex equal a higher initial aircraft capability?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 12/10/2008 12:07:43 PM >

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 536
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 2:43:25 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Guys,

A query on Leyte. From reading a few books (most recently Hastings' Nemesis) it appears the general consensus is that Leyte was NOT a suitable place for construction of and provision of oddles of runways and planes. Quite simply put the marshy environment made any construction of hard runways if not impossible highly problematic and improbable for extensive use.

Does Leyte have a lower Airfield SPS than in Stock?

Regards,

Steven

The pre-war planning was to invade at Davao, particularly if the garrison had been able to hold on. Leyte was chosen instead. This was to establish a fleet base, not an airbase.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 537
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 3:12:55 PM   
Speedysteve

Not according to what i've read. They planned to stage 100's of Kenney's planes there AFAIK to cover the invasion of Luzon.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 538
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 3:19:05 PM   
Terminus

MacArthur wanted to put airbases on Leyte. That was his whole reasoning for choosing it in the first place, and he predictably ignored intelligence that most of the island would be submerged in mud once the rains came.

Douchebag...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 539
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 3:38:47 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

MacArthur wanted to put airbases on Leyte. That was his whole reasoning for choosing it in the first place, and he predictably ignored intelligence that most of the island would be submerged in mud once the rains came.

Douchebag...

Morison says something similar (politely). However, the two suitable locations for a large fleet base in the southern Philippines were Leyte and Mindinao.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI