Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unofficial English translation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Unofficial English translation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unofficial English translation - 12/10/2008 5:49:45 PM   
Sebastiancain

Hey everyone :) I'm a long-time fan of Jagged Alliance games and believe we have a potential jewel on our hands with this newest iteration of their franchise. One of my gripes though is the obvious and glaring grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors throughout the whole of the game. I'd like to help and offer my own time and go through and fix as much as I can so that we can all enjoy it that much more. I just need someone to point me in the right direction and show me where the bulk of these files are so that I can get to work.

Thanks!

-Seb
Post #: 1
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/10/2008 6:08:56 PM   
SeanD

I believe you can make most of the modifications here:

C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Hired Guns - Jagged Edge\basis\locale\usa

Some things will not be available for edit. When you've made some changes and find what exactly is not editable make a list and let me know and I'll see what I can do about changing that.

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager

(in reply to Sebastiancain)
Post #: 2
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 2:01:49 AM   
NobillyT

Hefty thanking for swift retrieval of the utilizable demonstration, perchance it has made benefaction regarding the locality!

-translation: Thanks for the quick and informative response, this may help us fix some of the localization.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 3
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 4:02:36 AM   
SeanD

This manner of loquacity elicits a copiously sanguine lacrimatory response.

Trans: Talking like this makes my eyes bleed. (Sorry I couldn't resist a reprise.)

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager

(in reply to NobillyT)
Post #: 4
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 4:15:05 AM   
bssybeep

quote:

ORIGINAL: NobillyT

Hefty thanking for swift retrieval of the utilizable demonstration, perchance it has made benefaction regarding the locality!

-translation: Thanks for the quick and informative response, this may help us fix some of the localization.

LOL, my exact feelings about this game. I'm trying to figure out what they are trying to say most of the time.

(in reply to NobillyT)
Post #: 5
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 4:22:58 AM   
Sebastiancain

Hehehehe :) I sew dogtag into sleeve of uniform. You hear me not?

Seriously, I just watched Borat and it totally reminded me of some of the dialogue in this game, hehe. Thanks for the heads up on those files, though, and I plan to start tackling it tomorrow. I'll let you know of my progress and see what I find.

-Seb from Kazikstan of the country of greatness and good people. Not!

(in reply to bssybeep)
Post #: 6
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 10:19:24 AM   
Marc von Martial

Actually, I personally kind a like the "wierd" translations, they have a certain flair. But then again I'm not a native english speaker too.

Post #: 7
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 5:18:29 PM   
Terl

I don't mind it; they are quite humorous.  The IPA test was a bit strange though.  That one needs some serious work.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 8
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 5:33:11 PM   
SlickWilhelm

LOL, funny thread.

The only real humor I've found so far is during combat. I love the little insults the the soldiers say to each other, like in the first sector between the soldiers & the marauders.

What would've been hysterical is if they has been able to knowingly make it a Borat-ese translation. 

The first time I called Lin and tried to recruit her, I cringed as I listened to an obviously Russian woman speak in English and attempt a Chinese accent.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 9
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 10:18:32 PM   
Sebastiancain

Well, it looks good. I found all the lines of text for just about everything in those xml files from the crazy Babelfish IPA Quiz to every missions dialog and NPC/IMA Merc history and dialog to weapons and ammo. Looks like everything. There's definitely a lot of work here, but it shouldn't be too bad. If anyone else wants to help, let me know as all the missions are nicely broken down into individual folders. Again, I'm just looking to fix all the spelling errors and the obvious bad translations as they were run through some Babelfish-type program. Some phrases are just wacky and don't make any sense, and even some of the missions are hard to follow it's so bad. Thanks again for the link to this and I'll let you know how it goes!

-Seb

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 10
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/11/2008 11:06:23 PM   
ShadoWarrior

I don't know if this is something that's in an XML that you can fix, but the sector info screen where it displays what upgrades you can buy and how much money you make has a section labeled "Harrison" (just above 4 slots for any mercenary teams you hire) which should instead say "Garrison".

Post #: 11
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/12/2008 11:56:27 AM   
vorkosigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terl

I don't mind it; they are quite humorous.  The IPA test was a bit strange though.  That one needs some serious work.

The question about being in hell and deciding what to say to Satan made me laugh - out of sheer weirdness. I mean, Slavic peoples have lots of stories about smart people fooling Satan... but in South Western Europe... man, nobody claps Satan in the back!

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 12
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/12/2008 8:36:34 PM   
Sebastiancain

Here's the quick and simple fix from changing the 'Harrison' to 'Garrison'. Unfortunately the forums only allow txt files to be uploaded and the file is actually an *.xml file, so a simple renaming is necessary. Download the attached file which is called ui.xml.txt and place it C:\Tri Synergy\Hired Guns\basis\locale\usa\scripts\strres assuming you installed to the default directory. Make a copy of the ui.xml file you have and delete it and rename the file ui.xml.txt to just ui.xml and it's fixed.

I've been going through all the merc's and fixing their bio's first, then will be the missions, then will be everything related to the internet (emails, spam, etc). Again, I'm just fixing spelling errors and the overall localization. A lot of this reads like it was written by a 12-year old so I'm taking the gist of it all and essentially re-writing it so it looks more professional. If you like the current localization, it's easy not to use :)

I've done about 1/3 of the mercs so far and should have them all completed by the end of the day. The missions should be done by the end of the weekend and I'll then release what I have. Next week I'll finish the emails and possibly the guns and ammo stuff. Hope it helps!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sebastiancain -- 12/12/2008 8:41:37 PM >

(in reply to vorkosigan)
Post #: 13
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/12/2008 8:37:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

FYI, the Mods sub-forum allows zip file uploads.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 14
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/12/2008 8:40:49 PM   
Sebastiancain

Oh sweet! Thanks Eric. I'll put the completed package there when I'm done then. Thanks again!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/13/2008 12:27:36 AM   
ShadoWarrior

Thanks for finding that XML file, Sebastian. I went into Excel and edited it myself. I fixed a couple of other problems I found in the file while I was at it. I'm really looking forward to your comprehensive fixes package.

Post #: 16
RE: Unofficial English translation - 12/13/2008 1:56:34 AM   
NobillyT

Sebastian, thanks for taking the time to work on "re-translating" the translation.

(in reply to ShadoWarrior)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Unofficial English translation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI