Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What am I Missing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> What am I Missing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What am I Missing? - 12/4/2008 12:02:38 AM   
BK6583

Frank,

Playing CP against AI. France surrendered Jul 1915. I redeployed to the Italian front and declared war on Italy Nov 1915. At the end of strat phase resolution I controlled the Eastern Med and the Western Med was shown as not being controlled by either side. Yet on the very first impulse there was a British infantry corps right on the front line stacked with two Italian corps. How did it get there?

Regards,

Bob
Post #: 1
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/4/2008 12:09:46 AM   
hjaco

Excellent question.

One of my favorit opponents Ulver claims he can transfer units through neutral sea areas where the criteria used to be need of control.

Is this an intended change?

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/4/2008 11:21:29 PM   
BK6583

Ok this is starting to ruin it for me. I restarted the beginning of the Nov 1915 strat phase and this time when it ended I controlled BOTH the Eastern and Western Meds as the CP. At the of the second impulse there are Brit corps in Milan and adjacent to Milan. Remember, Italy was neutral up until the Nov 1915 turn when I declared war. Beats the heck out of me how those Brit corps got there!

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 3
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/4/2008 11:40:12 PM   
hjaco

Could have walked in from the French border?

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 4
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/5/2008 12:18:51 AM   
boogada

quote:

ORIGINAL: hjaco

Could have walked in from the French border?

quote:

France surrendered Jul 1915

quote:

France surrendered Jul 1915

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 5
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/5/2008 9:01:48 AM   
hjaco

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 6
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/5/2008 12:26:47 PM   
BK6583

Ha ha! No seriously - I would think that the weird, bizarre, and otherwise unexplainable behaviors of the AI or the game mechanics in general would have been identified and removed at this point in time.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 7
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/5/2008 2:00:54 PM   
boogada

I had a problem with the BEF showing up in France in turn1 even though I didn't DOW on Belgium. With one of the 1.30 versions. I think this was fixed in the latest patch. At least the release note said something about it.

Even if you could transfer something through the uncontrolled sea zone - how did the unit get to the frontline then?

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 8
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/13/2008 6:26:47 PM   
BK6583

Hi Frank,

Felt I had to chime again reagrding in this case the TE AI. I'm now at the May 1917 time frame as the CP against the AI. I'm very surprised at the almost complete lack of Brit or USA units on the map (USA entered Nov 1916). Granted, France and Italy are conquered and I've garrisoned amphib assaultable hexes that I control, but Greece and the Middle East are wide open (two Brit corps are in Greece). I got curious and switched all air assets to the Western front and lo and behold, stacks upon stacks of Brit and USA corps were just sitting in Britain and USA respectively (BTW - should I be able to air recon the USA hex??). Not one USA unit had been transported to Britain. This is May 1917 - the TE AI certainly could have and should have been sending all of those corps to Greece and the Middle East - had it done so it would certainly have put a lot of pressure on me as I was ensconced in trying to knock the Russian behemoth out. I would also think with the USA in the war, that perhaps the TE AI could at that point have also declared war on Albania and Holland to open things up even more. I once again recognize the enormous difficulties of scripting the AI, but how difficult would this aspect be? Can you look at this?

Regards,

Bob

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 9
RE: What am I Missing? - 12/14/2008 3:18:57 AM   
Kaliber

quote:

ORIGINAL: BK6583

Hi Frank,

Felt I had to chime again reagrding in this case the TE AI. I'm now at the May 1917 time frame as the CP against the AI. I'm very surprised at the almost complete lack of Brit or USA units on the map (USA entered Nov 1916). Granted, France and Italy are conquered and I've garrisoned amphib assaultable hexes that I control, but Greece and the Middle East are wide open (two Brit corps are in Greece). I got curious and switched all air assets to the Western front and lo and behold, stacks upon stacks of Brit and USA corps were just sitting in Britain and USA respectively (BTW - should I be able to air recon the USA hex??). Not one USA unit had been transported to Britain. This is May 1917 - the TE AI certainly could have and should have been sending all of those corps to Greece and the Middle East - had it done so it would certainly have put a lot of pressure on me as I was ensconced in trying to knock the Russian behemoth out. I would also think with the USA in the war, that perhaps the TE AI could at that point have also declared war on Albania and Holland to open things up even more. I once again recognize the enormous difficulties of scripting the AI, but how difficult would this aspect be? Can you look at this?

Regards,

Bob

Whether it's WW1 or WW2, in every grand strategy game against the AI, it seems to be strugling with UK and US deployment. GoA is no different. There are of course games that have come further, but it does indeed seem to require substantial work. The problem with playing against the AI is that even a "challenging" AI doesn't compare to a human opponent. Usually, when playing at the highest difficulty settings, it becomes a matter of beating the system rather than beating your opponent. The normal difficulty setting is invariably a walkover. The only solution is to PBEM. Personnaly, I settled with the idea that one shouldn't really expect anything from the AI in any of these games. It's good for learning the game mechanics and that's pretty much all there is to it. I know nothing about programming, but feel that with all the different fronts opening up at variable times, it must require a great deal of work to get anywhere.

Frank could of course take a look at this, but I hope he takes care of the other issues first.

Regards,

Kaliber

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> What am I Missing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI