Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Effects of Paratroopers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Effects of Paratroopers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 1:01:49 AM   
Coach Z

Is there a modifier on the defender when he is attacked....
A] solely by paratroopers?
B] by Paratroopers and an amphibious (or cross river) attack?
c] by Paratroopers and other enemy units already in the hex with the defender?

I can see that PAratroopers themselves suffer heavy disruption after they are dropped, but I vaguely remember someone saying something about a modifier somewhere, but can't find it in past threads.
Help very curious.....

ZUCK
Post #: 1
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 2:21:42 AM   
Feinder

As I recall, they're supposed impose 1/2 AV modifier on the defender when attacked by paratroopers. 

However, I've really been able to definatively quantify this.  There are so many variables going on in a combat, it's hard to say, "Ah!  There's the 50%!"  You could test it easily enough by isolating a para unit attack vs. a like sized ground attack (with no other units).  But I've never bothered with it.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Coach Z)
Post #: 2
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 2:39:07 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Z

I can see that PAratroopers themselves suffer heavy disruption after they are dropped, but I vaguely remember someone saying something about a modifier somewhere, but can't find it in past threads.
Help very curious.....

An amphib assault, cross river attack, or paradrop triggers an automatic bombardment attack by the defender which cuts its AV in half in effect.

(in reply to Coach Z)
Post #: 3
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 5:00:03 AM   
Feinder

quote:

an automatic bombardment attack by the defender which cuts its AV in half in effect.

That's interesting.  How so and/or why would the defender bombarding enemy units (esp those landing on their beach), halve the defender's AV?

If that's the way it is, then so be-it.  But it sure sounds odd (wouldn't be a first for WitP).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 5:35:36 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

quote:

an automatic bombardment attack by the defender which cuts its AV in half in effect.

That's interesting.  How so and/or why would the defender bombarding enemy units (esp those landing on their beach), halve the defender's AV?

If that's the way it is, then so be-it.  But it sure sounds odd (wouldn't be a first for WitP).

-F-

i'd heard it the other way - shock attack* DOUBLES the attackers AV, however, the defender gets two bombardments against the attacker, which can radically increase casualties (and decrease the AV thereby)... i suppose if you thought of the attacker's (original) AV as a constant, it would in effect have the defender's AV.

*as noted in posts above, this is automatically triggered by landing on an atoll, at a river crossing, air assault, and can be ordered as a choice.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 10:54:43 AM   
Yamato hugger

Pretty sure its in the rules, look it up. Cant find mine right now - the wife "cleaned". Will take me years to find my stuff.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 1:29:21 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

Help very curious.....

An amphib assault, cross river attack, or paradrop triggers an automatic bombardment attack by the defender which cuts its AV in half in effect.

never experienced that in my games...

Post #: 7
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 4:41:25 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Pretty sure its in the rules, look it up. Cant find mine right now - the wife "cleaned". Will take me years to find my stuff.

i did - section 8.4, page 151 - "Units executing a shock attack at doubled for odds calculations purposes".

Again, one could think of it as doubling the attacker's AV... or one could think of it as halving the defender's AV (but not both.)

Post #: 8
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 11:01:42 PM   
Oldguard1970

Thanks for the info about the shock attack... which should apply no matter what triggered the shock attack.

I seem to recall that a defeniding unit is less effective if it is set to bombard.  Of course, it also gets to hurt the attacker, so that might offset whaterever disadvantage there might be.

Does a defending unit suffer an adverse effect for being set to "bombard" rather than being set to "defend"?  (Again, I assume the effect of being set to "bombard" will apply if the command to bombard was set by the player or triggered by a game action.)

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 9
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/25/2008 11:03:29 PM   
Oldguard1970

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

quote:

Help very curious.....

Hello Castor Troy - I always see it in Stock.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 10
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/26/2008 12:18:16 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGuard1970

Thanks for the info about the shock attack... which should apply no matter what triggered the shock attack.

I seem to recall that a defeniding unit is less effective if it is set to bombard.  Of course, it also gets to hurt the attacker, so that might offset whaterever disadvantage there might be.

Does a defending unit suffer an adverse effect for being set to "bombard" rather than being set to "defend"?  (Again, I assume the effect of being set to "bombard" will apply if the command to bombard was set by the player or triggered by a game action.)

iirc, this is the first i've heard of such an effect... not saying it doesn't occur, but...

Actually, the game manual states that the "defensive fire is doubled against shock attacks." This is usually thought to mean there are "double bombardment" effects, but i am not actually sure how the game mechanics work on this.

Since there is ALWAYS defensive fire in an attack (whether or not you have ordered a bombardment) it is hard to see how this would effect the defender's AV... watching the numbers in animation carefully in shock attacks, it appears to me that the attacker's AV is approximately doubled, but the defenders AV is about the same.

However, if someone can demonstate this is incorrect, it would be good to know.

EDIT: PS - using the search function for every instance of "bombardment" - i could find no reference to the defender's AV being reduced by ordering a bombardment.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/26/2008 12:23:43 PM >

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 11
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/26/2008 12:25:43 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

quote:

Help very curious.....

Hello Castor Troy - I always see it in Stock.

Always see what, exactly? A bombardment being triggered, or the defender's AV being halved?

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 12
RE: Effects of Paratroopers - 12/26/2008 10:56:10 PM   
Oldguard1970

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

iirc, this is the first i've heard of such an effect... not saying it doesn't occur, but...

Actually, the game manual states that the "defensive fire is doubled against shock attacks." This is usually thought to mean there are "double bombardment" effects, but i am not actually sure how the game mechanics work on this.

Since there is ALWAYS defensive fire in an attack (whether or not you have ordered a bombardment) it is hard to see how this would effect the defender's AV... watching the numbers in animation carefully in shock attacks, it appears to me that the attacker's AV is approximately doubled, but the defenders AV is about the same.

However, if someone can demonstate this is incorrect, it would be good to know.

EDIT: PS - using the search function for every instance of "bombardment" - i could find no reference to the defender's AV being reduced by ordering a bombardment.

Hi Bob, Thanks for the good info. I don't know the source of that idea about bombardment settings influencing defensive rating. I am happy to be back on track.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Effects of Paratroopers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI