Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 6/20/2008 1:57:44 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

All's well that ends well - glad you finally recovered!

Yes, although iirc, there was something about (maybe) recently installing Xp Service Pack 3 recently that is disturbing... if that is the case, we may have to be on the lookout for more problems like this.

i suspect that another person's suggestion that that CODEC was screwed up by something Windows did/installed might be the underlying problem.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 6/21/2008 2:28:09 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

All's well that ends well - glad you finally recovered!

Yes, although iirc, there was something about (maybe) recently installing Xp Service Pack 3 recently that is disturbing... if that is the case, we may have to be on the lookout for more problems like this.

i suspect that another person's suggestion that that CODEC was screwed up by something Windows did/installed might be the underlying problem.

Thanks.
For the record , though I have re-installed Windows XP Home with Service pack 2, I have not installed Service pack 3 this time around as I did earlier about the same time i started seeing this strange issue and my PC seemed VERY sluggish.
I am not implying that service pack 3 was the problem but the coincidence is there.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 32
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/25/2008 2:45:51 AM   
RRStewart

So you're not the only one with this problem!  Since XP SP3, I've had the exact same "arrow issue".  After more WITP reinstalls than I can explain... both mod'd and unmod'd... the arrows persevere.  I have not tried a reinstall of XP or a roll-back to SP2.  Did you ever find a fix, Gem35... other than not updating to SP3?  Thanks much for any suggestion!

I just hope that the Devs make AE "arrow free".

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 33
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/25/2008 10:09:30 PM   
tabpub

It's a memory issue; I turn off all extraneous programs before watching the replay now, otherwise I have the same thing. I guess I have to dig up some more RAM now.....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to RRStewart)
Post #: 34
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/26/2008 12:48:17 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

It's a memory issue; I turn off all extraneous programs before watching the replay now, otherwise I have the same thing. I guess I have to dig up some more RAM now.....

i strongly recommend that
1) always run the replay from a fresh boot and
2) never have anything else running in the background unless it is absolutely necessary.

This will help avoid replay bug, as well as other problems like this.

i had one WITP problem that i could reproduce consistently, but the troubleshooters never could... the problem was solved when i disabled the screensaver i had...

EDIT: turned out the screensaver was a memory hog.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 35
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/27/2008 2:12:55 AM   
Gem35

It's NOT a memory issue, my machine has more RAM(4GB) and an E6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz along with a 3870 video card which shreds any recommended WitP requirements. I am a PC geek who builds and "plays with" PC hardware. I know what I am doing.
It either was a spyware issue which perhaps "ate" up all of my RAM or a compatability issue with  XP Service pack 3.(some motherboards do not like service pack 3 for some reason)
The only fix was re-installing windows and problem disappeared.
I am now running Vista Home premium 64-bit without ANY issues so far.
Sorry you are having problems RRS.
It is not fun, I empathize with you my friend.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 36
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/27/2008 5:21:25 PM   
Crimguy

I've seen those image placeholders, but only when playing witp via VMWare Fusion on my mac. Is it a memory issue? I'm only allocating 1GB of ram to the virtual machine, so I wouldn't be surprised in my case.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 37
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/28/2008 2:25:53 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

It's NOT a memory issue, my machine has more RAM(4GB) and an E6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz along with a 3870 video card which shreds any recommended WitP requirements. I am a PC geek who builds and "plays with" PC hardware. I know what I am doing.
It either was a spyware issue which perhaps "ate" up all of my RAM or a compatability issue with  XP Service pack 3.(some motherboards do not like service pack 3 for some reason)
The only fix was re-installing windows and problem disappeared.
I am now running Vista Home premium 64-bit without ANY issues so far.
Sorry you are having problems RRS.
It is not fun, I empathize with you my friend.

Perhaps, but certain programs (including some screen savers) will soak up ALL available memory, leading to problems... i could see how virus/worm/malware could do this as well, although certainly other effects could be in play.

BTW, i am finding some malware can and will get through the router firewall, Windows firewall, antiviral programs, and various anti-spyware/anti-malware programs... best solution i've found is Malwarebytes AntiMalware (download free)... my brother in-law just installed it on his machine protected by at least 4 different layers of security (including all the things listed above)... Malwarebytes found no less than 20 different infestations (and removed them all).

EDIT: Windows Xp Service Pack 3 has been reported to cause problems with WITP by several reports, although i don't think everyone is affected... i have elected not to install it.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/28/2008 2:28:23 AM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 38
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 12/28/2008 3:31:20 AM   
Crimguy

SP3 might be my problem FWIW. My new macbook has a fresh copy of XP Home with SP3. Only time I've ever had problems with witp, including a few freeze-ups and missing images during combat resolution. ONly run through a couple turns but we'll see.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 39
RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat - 3/22/2009 12:11:42 AM   
Salamandra

Hi there,

I had the same exact problem :

MS XP SP3
symptoms:
no japanaes ships/ subs
no ships at all during naval combat
when selecting a scenario, when you read the background and stuff, there should be 3 buttons (confirm scenario, go back to menu..) but it only shows arrows like the arrows for the dissapearing ships.

How did i solve this ?

I reinstalled the game under another folder e.g. c:\bis\Matrix\...

I moved all my art, sound, map etc to this folder by extracting in a loose folder and from there copy paste in my new directory.

What i suspect ...
1. corrupt installer from time to time...
2. problem with izarc my extracter ...?

so this is resolved for me for the time being...

Good luck
Salmandra

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI