Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you live with free games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you live with free games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you live with free games? - 8/29/2000 9:57:00 PM   
McDrum

Dear sirs: I am a complete newby to this forum and to the world of Matrix Games. Sorry if this question is a repetition. How do the Matrix Games staff live giving us these extraordinary games for free? How do they pay school, clothes for the children..? Another thing. How we, the end users, are suppossed to help Matrix and their project to survive? Cheers to all, gentlemen. McDrum

Post #: 1
- 8/30/2000 6:47:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We got started with SP:WaW a while ago and started working on SP mods becasue we love the game. We mostly have "real jobs" or are retired, and do this in what littel "free time" we have. We are working on "for pay" games and when they come we hope the community of gamers that have come to know us will vote with their wallets whether we aare successful or not :-) Despite what you'll read some places about us being some sort of wannabe Microsoft of wargames, we are just serious gamers like many of you, who decided to to put our collective time and effort where our mouths have been criticizing other company's games - with some of our own! [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited August 29, 2000).]

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 2
- 8/30/2000 1:30:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Despite what you'll read some places about us being some sort of wannabe Microsoft of wargames
Microsoft of wargaming?!? Please Paul, give me the URLs and a "Weapons Free" command....

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 3
- 8/30/2000 2:06:00 PM   
moore4807

Being the "microsoft of wargaming" doesnt seem all bad, who else has the US Justice Dept needed to haul into court for being too successful? I'm still drooling over the thought of PacWar being retooled... Gentlemen, Wallet is open, Credit Card ready, on my mark -three- -two- -one-....

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 4
- 8/30/2000 7:34:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Most of the "negative" come from a small but vocal group that either have personality conflicts with some members of the staff, or the other, a small but vocal group who think we are "hoarding" the SP code and ought to free it to the masses to allow "open source" games to be based on it. Unfortunately we have to honor the contracts with the holders of copyright on the code, who would be a little bit upset I think if we just published the code to one of their most successful games... But in their eyes that makes us like the Hunt Brothers, cornering the SP market to our bend the hobby to our evil plans (sit DOWN Mini-me - I'm talking to the insufferable fools ... er CUSTOMERS again...) where was I..Oh yeah Hunt around the lists and forums and you'll find them...If you go into their "lair" they will simply ban you as they openly declare themselves "Matrix" and "The Gamers net" - free zones. Unfortunatley their rantings leave us a little jumpy sometimes - so if we "blow our top" sometimes its often out of frustration and tension that "high tempo ops" in a sometimes hostile environment (note a big difference between hostile and CRITICAL - the latter is encouraged and we apologize if we occasionally get the two confused...) produce. [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited August 30, 2000).]

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 5
- 8/31/2000 12:34:00 AM   
Dave R

Remember Paul, when these idiots 'have a go' they do so because of envy. At the end of the day they ain't the ones with people cuing up waiting to pay them money! As I understand thing, your first pay for game will be the Napolionic one, not a time period that I'm perticularly interested in, but I'll still get and pay for a copy just to say 'thanks' to you guys.

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 6
- 8/31/2000 12:46:00 AM   
DougAngle

Your efforts are always greatly appreciated. I understand how very short 'free time' can be. I can guarantee you, we will be voting with our wallets.

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 7
- 8/31/2000 1:14:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: a small but vocal group who think we are "hoarding" the SP code and ought to free it to the masses to allow "open source" games to be based on it.
Sigh, I'm a free software person myself, but there are many times when the extreme in this group just downright embarrass me. This is not a war, there are no enemies, and I don't give a damn about MS one way or another. I happen to see value in an open OS, so I use it as much as possible, but if I want to run non-free applications/games on it, that doesn't make me evil. Sheesh. Hang tough with'em Paul, don't let'em get you down. [This message has been edited by Ed Cogburn (edited August 31, 2000).]

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 8
- 9/1/2000 7:31:00 AM   
troopie

Paul, Illegitimi non Carborundum! Carry on, you're doing fine. ttoopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 9
- 9/9/2000 1:43:00 AM   
Grok

I know this is a late posting, I just don't have the time to read every topic and posting, but I felt it important to address this particular problem. As with any effort that succeeds there will always be those who oppose it for various reasons. Mostly its a form of envy, rearing its ugly head as jealously. And those are the worst kind. But keep in mind those are usually the minority, and from the topics and postings I have seen(especially anything to do with SPWAW) you all have an extensive amount of support. Don't let the few distract you all from doing the job you all have chosen to do...if they could have done it, don't you think they would have? And thats my point, they couldn't do it and you all could, so there lies "their" problem. It would be foolish and unbelievable if I stated I didn't like freeware, and a few programs have actually gained by being open source, but by the same token other programs have suffered. So as far as I'm concerned, I will support you all with any and all efforts I can muster, especially from the wallet(the best kind of support). Just keep up the good work and don't be swayed by the negatives. With utmost thanks!

"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 10
- 9/21/2000 12:29:00 PM   
Supervisor

We don't We are all very rich and do this for a hobby. Wild Bill can be seen driving his custom amphibious Lexus that he takes to Hawaii. Paul Vebber is part owner of the Green Bay Packers. Mike Wood lives in Siliocon Valley counting his stock options as former lead programmer at Oracle. Nick Papp is a world famous artist using an assumed name. I won the california lottery 5 yrears ago and live on the beach. I am right now watching the sunset off Catalina Island and sipping a margarita while I type this on my laptop. Any more questions? a contented Grenadier

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 11
- 10/7/2000 4:06:00 AM   
mlehtonen

Any more questions? Yes! Can I please live with you?-) Seriously though. If the commercial games have half the love and devotion of SPWAW put into them, how can we -NOT- buy them? I just set aside a hundred bucks of summer pay for future Matrix purchases ------------------ --- "Purple is a fruit"

--- "Purple is a fruit"

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 12
- 10/7/2000 8:02:00 AM   
Supervisor

If you are very female,If you are 5'4" or less 125 lbs or less, beliecve the bird of true love is the swallow and won't bitch because all I di is play SPWAW, then I believe something can be arranged I like your thinking. It inspires me to do even better now. QUOTE]Originally posted by mlehtonen: Any more questions? Yes! Can I please live with you?-) Seriously though. If the commercial games have half the love and devotion of SPWAW put into them, how can we -NOT- buy them? I just set aside a hundred bucks of summer pay for future Matrix purchases [/QUOTE] ------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to McDrum)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you live with free games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI