Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BTR Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> BTR Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BTR Editor - 12/27/2008 8:30:16 PM   
Cull956

Hi All,

While waiting I've dusted off my copy of BTR, and was wondering if anyone has the old editor for it (if its ok to distribute)?

You can email it to me at rharlow at taunton.com
Post #: 1
RE: BTR Editor - 12/28/2008 4:15:58 AM   
Staggerwing

About 1/2 way down the page...is this what you wanted?

(in reply to Cull956)
Post #: 2
RE: BTR Editor - 12/28/2008 6:30:08 AM   
Cull956

Yes, thanks so much! I appreciate your help.

Happy Holidays

(in reply to Staggerwing)
Post #: 3
RE: BTR Editor - 12/28/2008 12:37:54 PM   
Mad Onion

I'm using this editor and I can't edit Locations and Equipment, Do I need something more to do this?

I was playing vs AI and my game has gone to the end in turn 154, I won :) But I want to play on, is there any way to play the game after Victory? I was hoping that using this Editor I can change something and play on, but can't see anything that might help :(

(in reply to Cull956)
Post #: 4
RE: BTR Editor - 12/29/2008 4:19:51 PM   
wernerpruckner

be careful with the editor......too many things are hardcoded in BtR and may - with time - screw up the game.

(in reply to Mad Onion)
Post #: 5
RE: BTR Editor - 2/4/2009 3:01:06 AM   
TechSgt

A few "real time" days ago, I discovered that the 12th Sqdn/1st Bomb Group does not have a commander -- zero leadership & inspiration. I don't remember losing this commander in the last few "game-time" days/weeks.

Anyhow, I've downloaded the editor, so my question is...

Just stick it in the data file directory and execute away?

Also, the CO of the 321st/XII is currently flying P-51b's with the 27th FS/XV. This is my fault having played around with detachments. According to the readme file I should be able to return this AWOL airman to his correct unit, Right?

< Message edited by TechSgt -- 2/5/2009 3:31:10 AM >

(in reply to Cull956)
Post #: 6
RE: BTR Editor - 2/4/2009 8:02:17 AM   
jseppane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Staggerwing

About 1/2 way down the page...is this what you wanted?

Harley Diwell asked me to remove them.

Jukka

(in reply to Staggerwing)
Post #: 7
RE: BTR Editor - 2/4/2009 8:48:00 AM   
harley

Thanks, Jukka.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I no longer support or endorse the editor, and never granted repost rights to anyone. I originally wrote the editor to fix problems in the Talonsoft version that became apparent as time went on. Now that I am able to correct those issues within the code, I am, hopefully eliminating the need for the editor (that won't work in the Matrix release anyway).

The other reason for having the editor taken down is that as a private individual, I considered it to be a conflict of interest with my work for Matrix on EDBTR, and did not want to have any impact on my ability to renew this game. I'd like to stress absolutely that at no time did Matrix ask me to abandon the editor, or remove it from distribution, it was entirely my own decision.

the final question Jukka asked was about future development on the editor. I'll say it right now, there will not be any. The Matrix release will use a compressed and encrypted save file to prevent pbem tampering (not that I think anyone does, but if the protection is there from the start, it's hard to accuse anyone of misconduct). I'm thinking of other ways to protect the pbem user's keyfile, probably using a "what you know" approach. (You put a password in once, and it's hashed and saved. If you destroy your machine, you only need your old username and the password to recreate the hash) (thank you IT Security Uni course, you've come in handy at last!)

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to jseppane)
Post #: 8
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 12:09:35 AM   
jcjordan

So w/ the new editor there will be no ingame editing after starting one just pregame like in WITP?

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 9
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 12:37:18 AM   
harley

Um, that question is based on an incorrect premise.

To be categorically clear to all:

There is no in-game or pre-game editor whatsoever for the Matrix edition of Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich. The editor Ron uses to create the order of battle is proprietary, and will not be released to the general public.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 10
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 3:17:02 AM   
jcjordan

Oops, I thought there was going to be some kind of editor w/ the game, guess I'm getting AE/WITP & this mixed up - going senile you know

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 11
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 5:56:39 AM   
harley

that's cool, just needed to get that in-check should anyone think we were offering one...

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 12
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 6:37:20 AM   
Alfred

So just to clarify, this means that the future EDBTR community will not be able to create new scenarios as currently occurs in WITP.

Alfred

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 13
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 6:45:53 AM   
harley

Effectively, yes that is correct.

There is a lot of hard-coding of various parameters in the game code. Ron, Waynno and I tried to break stuff out to the OB, but it just wasn't possible to make them dynamic at all. The OB is a static database of units on a given day (for BTR its either 17 August 1943, or 1 Jan 1944 (I think)). The at-start scenario code manipulates that data in all sorts of ways, removing some types, advancing the date, culling sites and units... All sorts of things.

I don't know how WITP implements either the database, or the feature, but it's just not possible for us to make it happen.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 7:39:19 AM   
Alfred

harley,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Now before anyone complains, I would like to remind others that at least in EDBTR, we will therefore be spared all the misinformation about the non existent WITP - AE

Alfred

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 15
RE: BTR Editor - 2/5/2009 10:39:48 AM   
Hard Sarge

Feb 20th 1944 is the 2nd start date

we had posted a number to times, that we would not be adding a editor for this game

it is just too easy to break the game, planes, units, devices are set into slots for a reason, most of them, you make a change, you change the whole game

very early on, after seeing how the code and data worked, we decided it would be bad to include a editor

if you remember the old OOBs that were being made for the BTR, one of the issues with that, adding changing planes, didn't take into account how the code read the data base, so most of the planes would not build

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: BTR Editor - 2/6/2009 2:09:44 AM   
Richrd

No sale.

Richrd

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: BTR Editor - 2/6/2009 12:07:59 PM   
Hard Sarge

if it is not for you, it is not for you, I can't force you to buy it, and I would not beg you to buy it, all I can do is tell you what it can and can't do, or what we will have and not have added, and where I can, the reasons for it

this game is a rebuild, so lots of the game engine has to be kept, and by keeping it, we got to do as the engine demands, if it was a brand new game engine, we could and would of added a editor to the mix

some one who helped work on the first game with some programming, made mistakes and screwed up the game by making data changes that were wrong, what is someone with no idea of the code going to do ?, and luckyly  his changes only made some oddities that he couldn't explain

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 18
RE: BTR Editor - 2/17/2009 3:41:02 PM   
Akmatov

While I regret the lack of an editor-although, honestly EDBTR will prob be far to complex for me to want to mess with, I appreciate the information that explains why it is impractical.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> BTR Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI