Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/18/2000 12:15:00 AM   
jsaurman

I agree with Paul, Nazi and German are indeed two different things but for the sake of brevity are often used interchangably on this board. Let's all play nice and not get into splitting hairs, because for all intents and purposes for the years 1933 to 1945, all Nazi weapons were German, and all German weapons were Nazi. Not true for people, as most were not in the Party, but weapons were a different story as not too many private citizens bought and paid for a Tiger II or a Flak 88. Just my thoughts... JIM

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 31
- 10/18/2000 5:15:00 AM   
hammerhead

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Sorry - I don't have much time to respond lately, but wanted to quickly chime in here. The M36 seems to have the wrong 90mm gun designated. THis will be fixed, but hopefully one can understand the problems trying to rate everyt weapon form every country to the level of detail we have tried to go here. 10's of thousands of data points, even if we are 99% accurate hundreds will have typos, like the M36 given weapon 64 instead of 65. I'm sure this will get fixed. To the specific point, Please read the designers notes and look back at some of the threads on how the weapons are rated. IT is not just by using "book" penetration data. One can't just take book numbers and compare them at ace value becasue every country had different (and sometimes multiple) definitions of "penetration" that differed in effect by 25% or more. The data I have from multiple sources indiates teh 88 had significantly better AP penetration than the M3 - an example is the www.wargamer.org/GvA data, several other sources corroborate this data. The figures used in the game are backed off form 30 degrees vertical slope at 500m to o slope at 0 meters using the same proceedure for all weapons. The result is consistant - but generally will not match any book data exactly (much of which compares apples to oranges based on differeing definitions of penetration). The game uses a database of "book values" and two different threoretical estimators to come up with penetration. Fire control and accuracy are guesstimates. There is simply insufficient data to reliably set accuracy numbers that aren't skewed by crew proficiency, so these are often based on the original values in the game extended. FOr every instance of a gun being "accurate" are anecdotes to the contray, so barrel length and muzzle velocity are used to baseline raw gun accuracy. Using www.wargamer.org/GvA data as an example - the 88 APCBC ammo MV=1000m/sec down an L71 barrel, while the M3 APBC MV was 808 m/sec down an L52 barrel. Given that data I fudged the M3 to the HIGH side becasue I felt it was more accurate than the raw numbers gave it credit for. There is no "ground truth" metric that can be objectively be debated, hence you have the editor to change them to your taste. But one needs to be careful to judge context when throwing quotes around, and in the context of rating scores of weapons for many of which there is little or no data, a schem of rating values based on info common to them all must be used. That means outliers will exist, and many of those have been argued vociferously (see tiger front turret debate:-) and we change things as deemed appropriate by the OOB working group. As to OOBs and formations one has to remeber that we are under some severe limits based on what teh game allows us to do. We can't just change EVERYTHING as teh bugs that crop back up after being stomped, and persistant "toughies" point out. SO we have to live with "inaccuracies" form strict history (which I would argue is in many ways moot becasue "book" TO&E went out the window by contact with the enemy...but we need some sort of baseline and "book" TO&E - or as close as we can come was chosen. We also have a body of scenarios with which combatibility must be maintained. I submit given the time expended and scope of work undertaken, that the current result is about as accurate as can be had, and we will continue to improve them - a process that could easily take years as data is found and reviewed and discussed. We welcome questions about where the stats come from, and strive to make the OOB's better, but they can never be "perfect" only interanlly more consistent... ...but I do take a bit of offense to being caste a Nazi-phile. I did all the weapon numbers and have gone out of my way sometimes to give credit to the US and UK equipment even when the raw data tended to indicate otherwise. Honest disagreements ABOUT DATA are welcome, but lets keep the snide remarks out of technical debate, eh Greg? [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited October 17, 2000).]
quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Sorry - I don't have much time to respond lately, but wanted to quickly chime in here. The M36 seems to have the wrong 90mm gun designated. THis will be fixed, but hopefully one can understand the problems trying to rate everyt weapon form every country to the level of detail we have tried to go here. 10's of thousands of data points, even if we are 99% accurate hundreds will have typos, like the M36 given weapon 64 instead of 65. I'm sure this will get fixed. To the specific point, Please read the designers notes and look back at some of the threads on how the weapons are rated. IT is not just by using "book" penetration data. One can't just take book numbers and compare them at ace value becasue every country had different (and sometimes multiple) definitions of "penetration" that differed in effect by 25% or more. The data I have from multiple sources indiates teh 88 had significantly better AP penetration than the M3 - an example is the www.wargamer.org/GvA data, several other sources corroborate this data. The figures used in the game are backed off form 30 degrees vertical slope at 500m to o slope at 0 meters using the same proceedure for all weapons. The result is consistant - but generally will not match any book data exactly (much of which compares apples to oranges based on differeing definitions of penetration). The game uses a database of "book values" and two different threoretical estimators to come up with penetration. Fire control and accuracy are guesstimates. There is simply insufficient data to reliably set accuracy numbers that aren't skewed by crew proficiency, so these are often based on the original values in the game extended. FOr every instance of a gun being "accurate" are anecdotes to the contray, so barrel length and muzzle velocity are used to baseline raw gun accuracy. Using www.wargamer.org/GvA data as an example - the 88 APCBC ammo MV=1000m/sec down an L71 barrel, while the M3 APBC MV was 808 m/sec down an L52 barrel. Given that data I fudged the M3 to the HIGH side becasue I felt it was more accurate than the raw numbers gave it credit for. There is no "ground truth" metric that can be objectively be debated, hence you have the editor to change them to your taste. But one needs to be careful to judge context when throwing quotes around, and in the context of rating scores of weapons for many of which there is little or no data, a schem of rating values based on info common to them all must be used. That means outliers will exist, and many of those have been argued vociferously (see tiger front turret debate:-) and we change things as deemed appropriate by the OOB working group. As to OOBs and formations one has to remeber that we are under some severe limits based on what teh game allows us to do. We can't just change EVERYTHING as teh bugs that crop back up after being stomped, and persistant "toughies" point out. SO we have to live with "inaccuracies" form strict history (which I would argue is in many ways moot becasue "book" TO&E went out the window by contact with the enemy...but we need some sort of baseline and "book" TO&E - or as close as we can come was chosen. We also have a body of scenarios with which combatibility must be maintained. I submit given the time expended and scope of work undertaken, that the current result is about as accurate as can be had, and we will continue to improve them - a process that could easily take years as data is found and reviewed and discussed. We welcome questions about where the stats come from, and strive to make the OOB's better, but they can never be "perfect" only interanlly more consistent... ...but I do take a bit of offense to being caste a Nazi-phile. I did all the weapon numbers and have gone out of my way sometimes to give credit to the US and UK equipment even when the raw data tended to indicate otherwise. Honest disagreements ABOUT DATA are welcome, but lets keep the snide remarks out of technical debate, eh Greg? [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited October 17, 2000).]
It seems my efforts on this subject are perhaps fruitless. I am not talking about "Perfection". I am talking about getting things right as well as one can expect. I put a great deal of my own rather precious time into attempting to address ONLY ONE of the errors I see in this game. It was suggested here that I provide 'constructive ' and detailed input into these 'apparent' or percieved errors. I have done that, using as a first example obvious error regarding the M3 gun as a first test of the good will of that request. I assumed it was not just a rhetorical proposal? I was not providing data about penetration and plate angle test varacity or type of ammo or any other technical information or test results. I was simply stating that three sources agreed on the matching power of the 90mm and the 88. The penetration value technical assessment or non technical, was not anywhere in my text. The only statemnet regarding detailed and tested performance was regarding muzzle velocity. This came from tests performed by the US Army during the war. It did not measure penetration to any angle or accuracy or any other aspect of performance. It stated that the muzzle velocity of the 90 was slightly better than the 88. That is all. I might add that unless the US 90mm shell was far larger than the 88mm, which seems to make little sense, or the German [ don't say the "N" word ] shell was somehow far more areodynamic than the Ami shell, the laws of physics require the ranges to be somewhat the same ... not 33 percent different. I was talking about range. That is all. It is becoming clearer to me with responses of each post that, to change the mind-set of this group may take more time and patience than I can muster. Again, I realize the immense amount of work that goes into the process of making this game real. I have enormous respect for those who work on it day in and day out. I was only trying to correct, one by one, the detailed errors, as I thought it would improve the quality of the game. I have no axe to grind and no vendetta to pursue. And I do not wish to creat one here. As far as 'snide' remarks... I can only say that such was not my intention. I used the term for the Germans that was used by Allied soldiers throughout the war. Apparently this has become unacceptable with this gaming group. I continue to puzzle over the favoritism and admiration most gamers seem to have for the German [don't say the "N" word] army and equipment, while being surprisingly ignorant about their own nation's soldiers and armament. If such issues cannot be discussed here, where a game displays an SS soldier [Nazi] on its opening screen, I must say that this also puzzles me. I spent a year living in Germany with German friends and relatives, touring in Europe, and interviewing German soldiers and SS soldiers. They all admitted that during the war they felt love and absolute support for the Fuehrer and his goals. This was not coerced. This only changed as they realized they could not win the war. If they were fooled, they were fooled as a nation, by their leaders, whom they elected. As I have still many friends in Germany, I can say with some certainty that THEY would be concerned if people in the US failed to learn from Germany's mistakes. If calling the weapons and armies and slave labor that fed and supported them during the war a NAZI system makes anyone on this Forum upset, then I would suggest that they look into their own hearts and minds, [or simply request that I be removed from the list]or perhaps read a few more words about what course Garmany took willingly during the war and where it got them. If history must be blurred to allow some to be comfortable while playing these games, then so be it. As for me, I have no problem enjoying the game and respecting some of the awesome weapons and excellent command system and soldiers that were produced under the Nazi regime. But my eyes are not dimmed as to how they came about. I have read hundreds of books on the subject, and had thousands of hours of talk with those who were subjected to the regime or were willing members of it. So no more 'snide' remarks from me. It's just real difficult to read some of the complacent remarks by some. This will be my last comment on the subject. [Whether it be by my removal from this forum or my own promise to avoid this puzzlingly uncomfortable subject.] I will stick to writing lists of the corrections I feel need addressing in the game. I will provide no source references unless they are requested. I will become poitically correct and not use the "N' word. I will be a good soldier. ------------------ "Mediocrity carries its own price." It is my pleasure to communicate with you. Greg - "Hammerhead"

"Mediocrity carries its own price." It is my pleasure to communicate with you. Greg - "Hammerhead"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 32
- 10/18/2000 6:30:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

I have done that, using as a first example obvious error regarding the M3 gun as a first test of the good will of that request. I assumed it was not just a rhetorical proposal?
And I tried to point out using techincal data why it is not so obvious that there is an error, and in fact it appears that you are in error.
quote:

I was not providing data about penetration and plate angle test varacity or type of ammo or any other technical information or test results. I was simply stating that three sources agreed on the matching power of the 90mm and the 88. The penetration value technical assessment or non technical, was not anywhere in my text. The only statemnet regarding detailed and tested performance was regarding muzzle velocity. This came from tests performed by the US Army during the war. It did not measure penetration to any angle or accuracy or any other aspect of performance. It stated that the muzzle velocity of the 90 was slightly better than the 88. That is all.
The first case compares 88 APCR and M3 HVAP. Guess what they both have penetration 255 (which the game converts to 310 or so +/- 10%) and the M3 has a LONGER range than the 88. 50 to 45 hexes. What's the problem, seems to be as you suggest it should be!! If you take 310mm at 0m (assuming the usually 30 degree angle to the vertical most tests use) that converts to about 162mm or about 6.3 inches at 1000yards (+/- 10%) so that is a little less than the 7 inches, but if you assume a vertical plate that goes up to nearly 8 inches, so I seem to have bracketed your 7 in number. The third quote doesnt indicate the mark of Tiger, the Tiger I was the predominant model so comparing the M3 and 88L56 in APCBC performace is not bad: M3 Range - 64, accuracy 24 and pen 185 88L56 Range 64 accuracy 27, pen 150 In fact the penetration is a good bit better on the M3, and the accuracy a shade better on the 88. I could see arguing that the acuracy on the M3 is a bit low, 25 might be better assuming parity in MV and the barrel length is the main difference. But one can split hairs forever +/- 1 or 2 on these things... You also continue to use the wrong 90mm gun for comparison, (admittedly the wrong was was given to the M36 - Pershing has the correct one) the range of the M3 is 64 hexes, which one could argu could be increased to 72 (at that distance the program uses steps of 8 hexes), but again based on muzzle velocity difference of nearly 20% (comparing APCBC shells) , one might expect the effective range to differ by a like 20%? If you want to try to educate then, please try to get the facts straight. A little examination would have shown that the game supports your contentions nearly exactly! I accept that your intention might not have been to offend, but understand that when you imply that the game designers are at best "not grown up" or "lacking knowledge" and at worst have a "pro-Nazi bias" how that that can raise ones hackles. We've had the "Geramn/Nazi" debate ad nauseum and I am not trying to invoke that, other than to point out I have done the best job given the data available of compiling and evaluating it with a PRO ALLIED bias if anything in evaluating the data. Out of respect for the various sensitivities of people on this forum we have tried to minimize the use of the "Nazi" to generically describe the German Army. Just like many Japanese take offence to being called "Nips" or "Slopes". Feel free to open that debate again. But its not going to change the fact that many view the label like an epitaph, for good or ill. No one (well I at least) am not trying to erase NAZI from the vocabulary, just offereing that a littel sensitivity goes a long way. I meant only to distance myself from a "pro-Nazi" moniker you seemed (and I accept that I perhaps misunderstood you) to want to stick on the game designers. You seem to be put out that we aren't hailing your "obvious errors" with a slap on the head - you do point out the M36 has a typo, but your other arguments to not hold up to scrutiny. We welcome folks pointing out errors, but I would hope that the depth of analysis that was done to use hard data to come up with the numbers in the game would be given more than a cursory glance before "obvious" errors are driven home with such conviction. As to "banning people from the forum" - that will NEVER be done over a difference of opinion!!! [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited October 17, 2000).]

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 33
- 10/18/2000 9:52:00 PM   
Charles22

hammerhead: I don't kow if you realise it or not, but though some US soldiers might have referred to all AT fire as 88s, they weren't all the same gun, even if what was shooting at them was an 88. The 88 on the Tiger is quite different from the one on the flak gun, which was different from the one on the King Tiger, and so on (sometimes the only real similarity was the size of the shell, but the velocity and barrel length were another thing entirely. As well, if you're suggesting that since the Maus didn't see action, that the 128mm flak gun never saw action, that is quite erroneous. I would also suggest that the Maus gun wasn't the same as the 128mm flak. As with the 88 comparison above, it was likely just the same shell, but I would suspect it had nowhere near the barrel length the flak mount had.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 34
- 10/18/2000 11:29:00 PM   
Major Destruction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles22: [B]hammerhead: I don't kow if you realise it or not, but though some US soldiers might have referred to all AT fire as 88s, One might suppose that the average US tanker was no different from a Canadian tanker. According to a report "Analysis of 75mm Sherman Tank Casualties Suffered Between 6th June and 10th July 1944" in which the REME studied 45 destroyed tanks, 82% of those hit by AP fire were from 75mm (77% penetration) and 18% from 88mm (18% penetration). In a note it states "estimates by fighting soldiers were found to be unreliable since many reported they had been knocked out by an 88, when in fact it had been 75mm shot, while the reverse mistake has not yet been discovered".

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 35
- 10/18/2000 11:35:00 PM   
Major Destruction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pbear: [B]Thank you, from what you are saying there is no restriction on which OOB you use to create a unit such that the Italian OOB could be used to make new German units. Correct? Yes in scenario design, if you want, you can create a German unit with Italian weapons from the Chinese OOB- so long as the China OOB has those Italian weapons available. However, I believe the Germany national characteristics will apply to the new unit and not the China characteristics- and of course you would want to change the name of the leader.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 36
- 10/18/2000 11:41:00 PM   
Major Destruction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dice4Eyes: [B] Yes thats right, the 10,5cm and 128mm Flak guns were orgenised in GrossBatterien for the protection of German cities. From what i can surmise they were quite effective against allied raids. I think they were radar controled, but i dont now. I spoke recently with one veteran of such a battery. He was stationed in Denmark. He told me that although he (and the rest of his crew)was only 16 years old, the 10.5's were easy to use and they could shoot down Allied bombers as well as any other crew. He did not mention radar.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 37
- 10/19/2000 2:00:00 AM   
John T_MatrixForum

Regarding 128 mm German flak-gun. That is NOT the same gun as used in the Maus or jagdtiger, same caliber but quite a different mount.
quote:

Originally posted by hammerhead: If such issues cannot be discussed here, where a game displays an SS soldier [Nazi] on its opening screen, I must say that this also puzzles me.
This is one place where I fullhartedly will support Hammerhead. *The Logo* Does look like a Waffen SS Recruitment Poster. I Does *not* imply that anyone at matrix are nazis, just that the logo put SS in the limelight and the Limey are in the background. You are looking for trouble, not only by Political correct Americans, but from most who understand what tremendous effort the Nazi party invested in their symbols. (IMO The Best logo of all SP games are the one used by the Franko-Russian edition.) Cheers. John T.

/John T

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 38
- 10/19/2000 6:48:00 AM   
silentsurfer

Man, we all just gotta relax a little. Everyone likes the German (Nazi is a party, not an army. I think when people say Nazi, they are likely refering to the SS, which is an army, no direct connection with the party per se) side when playing the game because they have the coolest toys. You do have to respect the engineering and leadership of the German army and its resourses.If Germany had the resourses the Americans or other allies had, they would have won the war without question, in my mind. Near the end of the war Tigers and Panthers were being abandoned on the battle field for lack of Gasoline. I know this thought is uncomfortable for many people but I beleive it to be true, Germany, with its technology and military prowess, should have won the war (yes, a few very bad mistakes on the part of High Command did not help matters). Have you ever heard of an ex Tiger commander saying he was scared when he saw an American Sherman? No. Ever hear his counterpart say he was scared when he saw a Tiger? You bettcha. My point is that this game accurately portraits the one sidedness of the military tools at each participants disposal. By having the German machines kick ass is not Nazism or any other such fool thing, its just history. In fact if anything, the game is in favor of Allied weaponary. Even with that, when playing German v Allies, you have to really pile on the Allied troops or the game is a walk over. One final thought...People, if you want history, I posted some really great sites about the second world war a few days ago, go have a party and experience all the history you want. Dont try to recreate it in a game. This is an excellent game that really should be more about stratagy and defeating an oponet, just like chess. The fact that it is based on historical events is really the bees knees, but we cannot recreate history. No matter what you do with your troops on the board it will not be the same as history, it will always be loosely based on it. So relax, have fun and stop trying to change a game that is closer to perfection than any game I have ever seen. (Now look, you guys got me into a rant, I hope your happy ) surfer I'm sorry, I gotta make just one more point about people saying the game is too one sided towards Germany. A 30 year old tiger tank platoon commander scored 129 kills in one day not long before the battle for Caen. He was awarded the Knights Cross and was shortly thereafter killed at the battle of Caen. He faced a Canadian company the day he got all his kills, many of them were Canadian, like me, and the prisoners were not treated too well at all, many were killed out right. This does not make this guy any big hero in my eyes to say the least, but, Damn, you gotta respect those 129 kills in one day. Just goes to show, the German machines could really kick butt. (I hope I got the history right, I'm sure someone will correct me if I dont ) [This message has been edited by silentsurfer (edited October 18, 2000).] [This message has been edited by silentsurfer (edited October 18, 2000).]

what the ....

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 39
- 10/19/2000 7:07:00 PM   
Charles22

A small bit about logos/symbols here. The subject of the SS soldier has come up. Yes, it is actually from a SS recruitment poster. On the other hand, the side of the helmet you are seeing actually has occultic runes, as indeed is the swastika. I'm not sure, but it seems to me as though the SS had the SS runes on both sides of the helmet, whereas, if we had a picture of a normal Wehrmacht soldier there, one side had a swastika on it; surely more indicative of Nazism than the runes we are seeing on this page. [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited October 19, 2000).]

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 40
- 10/19/2000 10:46:00 PM   
Ballan

Carlos Hathcock did indeed use the M2 in Vietnam. The .50 cal was set up and sighted on a specific spot, knowing the the enemy V.C would pass by a certain path riding his bike. This is far removed from hitting a moving target at 2,000 metres + in battlefield conditions. There was a case in the Gulf war where a US sniper with a .50 cal Barrett got a confirmed kill at 1,800 metres, with unconfirmed kills at even greater ranges.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 41
- 10/31/2000 4:49:00 AM   
panda124c

So on the subject of the OOB errors to report, The French have a 25mm AT gun that has and icon of an M3 Halftrack, as does their Fuel Dump. Version 4.4 Campain Game (I forget the exact name) but the ivasion of NA by the Americans. The OOB is connected to the icon files is there a way to get a print out of the Icon files so that I can tell which number goes with which icon???

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 42
- 10/31/2000 7:17:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by pbear: So on the subject of the OOB errors to report, The French have a 25mm AT gun that has and icon of an M3 Halftrack, as does their Fuel Dump. Version 4.4 Campain Game (I forget the exact name) but the ivasion of NA by the Americans. The OOB is connected to the icon files is there a way to get a print out of the Icon files so that I can tell which number goes with which icon???
Yes, in the main directory of SPWAW, there should be a txt file called Icon data list Oct.26, or something to that nature. If not in the main, try documents folder in the game, this can be printed out. It has a lot of code numbers designating shp files and such, too much to go into here, but the number before the vehicle/weapon name, is the icon number entered in the oob at graphic slot. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 43
- 10/31/2000 11:38:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: Yes, in the main directory of SPWAW, there should be a txt file called Icon data list Oct.26, or something to that nature. If not in the main, try documents folder in the game, this can be printed out. It has a lot of code numbers designating shp files and such, too much to go into here, but the number before the vehicle/weapon name, is the icon number entered in the oob at graphic slot.
Thank you.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 44
- 11/1/2000 4:58:00 PM   
Unhappy Camper

Personally I don't think the Matrix created scenarios are all that sacred. If they hadn't screwed up the Oob files in the first place, they wouldn't be faced with redoing all of the scenarios. I appreciate that a game like this is a lot or work, but if you're going to be releasing something like this to the public, even for free, it should be accurate, and work properly. There are some glaring errors in the army lists. Most notably is the armor ratings for a lot of the tanks. There is a definite leaning towards the Germans in this. The front turret on the Tiger is listed as 176mm, when all the historical info I've seen says 100mm. The Sherman M4A3 in the game is listed around the 75mm mark, I've seen at least four sources list the frontal hull armor as 100 to 110mm. And even the organizations are screwy. According to the TO&E included with the game a US Mech Inf platoon should have three squads of men, with MGs and Mortars and Half-Tracks. The game only gives them two squads, and adds an AT gun, but you can't fit everything into the HTs provided. They've contradicted themselves. And they've included many weapons that were never used operationally. The 128mm AT gun, the Maus tank, 105mm RCL. All of them German by the way. I understand that play must be balanced, but then don't claim you're going for historical accuracy. I've seen several messages arguing about the 50cal, guys, it was a big, heavy machine gun. I fired a heavy bullet a really long way. The Germans never, never developed a heavy machine gun. So the 50cal should have a huge range advantage. As to the 90mm AA guns for the US, later models were in fact equipped with sites for use against ground targets, and they were almost certainly more accurate than the German 88.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 45
- 11/1/2000 5:07:00 PM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Unhappy Camper: Personally I don't think the Matrix created scenarios are all that sacred. If they hadn't screwed up the Oob files in the first place, they wouldn't be faced with redoing all of the scenarios. I appreciate that a game like this is a lot or work, but if you're going to be releasing something like this to the public, even for free, it should be accurate, and work properly. There are some glaring errors in the army lists. Most notably is the armor ratings for a lot of the tanks. There is a definite leaning towards the Germans in this. The front turret on the Tiger is listed as 176mm, when all the historical info I've seen says 100mm. The Sherman M4A3 in the game is listed around the 75mm mark, I've seen at least four sources list the frontal hull armor as 100 to 110mm. And even the organizations are screwy. According to the TO&E included with the game a US Mech Inf platoon should have three squads of men, with MGs and Mortars and Half-Tracks. The game only gives them two squads, and adds an AT gun, but you can't fit everything into the HTs provided. They've contradicted themselves. And they've included many weapons that were never used operationally. The 128mm AT gun, the Maus tank, 105mm RCL. All of them German by the way. I understand that play must be balanced, but then don't claim you're going for historical accuracy. I've seen several messages arguing about the 50cal, guys, it was a big, heavy machine gun. I fired a heavy bullet a really long way. The Germans never, never developed a heavy machine gun. So the 50cal should have a huge range advantage. As to the 90mm AA guns for the US, later models were in fact equipped with sites for use against ground targets, and they were almost certainly more accurate than the German 88.
All I can say is that: READ OTHER THREADS BEFORE FLAMING !!! Many of your complaints have been talked about and make sense if you would read those threads which deal with these issues. Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 46
- 11/1/2000 5:36:00 PM   
Fredde

If you don't want to use the Maus, just don't buy it or put it in your scenarios. Same for the recoilless guns. I think it's fun to toy around with more experimental equipment, and to play 'What if?' scenarios modeling the use of them. It's all up to you how you want to use this excellent game. All scenarios are modifiable and so are the OOB's. To make this easier, there's even an OOB editor accompanying the game.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 47
- 11/1/2000 7:25:00 PM   
Warhorse

If you check out Rick Cloutiers, or Fabio's sites, you'de see the TOG was added also, so what's up with that?! There are many icon slots, left, so more 'what if' stuff could be added, but no-one requested them, so I don't make 'em!! The person doing an oob must let me know, to have it made. Like was said before, read other threads, and BTW, its still under construction dude, so lighten up, if we waited till nothing was wrong, it might be a year till release, this way we get all you peoples input into how to implement things. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 48
- 11/2/2000 10:23:00 PM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Unhappy Camper: According to the TO&E included with the game a US Mech Inf platoon should have three squads of men, with MGs and Mortars and Half-Tracks. The game only gives them two squads, and adds an AT gun, but you can't fit everything into the HTs provided.
???? The mech platoons in my current long campaign have 3 squads of infantry. The only MG/ATG/HT combination that doesn't work is .50 cal/76mm/M2A1. Just buy a different halftrack or a smaller AT gun. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 49
- 11/4/2000 1:17:00 AM   
Scipio Africanus

Nobody posting here should get discouraged into not communicating. Hammerhead brought up some concerns which Paul addressed with his usual grace. Everyone should keep doing that. Hammerhead, you should know that there was a long debate that resulted in the reduction of the front turret armor of the Tiger I by a full inch. This indicates 2 things: 1) keep making your case, people do take it seriously. Even if you do not win every time, the dialogue improves the game. 2) There may be less Teutonophilia at this site than appears initially. I don't think anyone would be particularly offended by the word Nazi, rather it is the general application of this to an entire group of people. You are a man of history, and as such you are well aware that many people who had opposed National Socialism had already been killed by it at the time you arrived in Germany. Do let's not forget that tyrannies have historically never tolerated internal opposition and are necessarily minority governments. Therefore it is probably best not to refer to such things as the will of a people in those cases. Since the rise of nationalism in the Middle Ages there has been a tendency toward the false homogenization of the people within a nation-state. Nationalist movements tend to accentuate this appearance of homogeny. It is our job, as historians, to see through this illusion. You and I both know that not every German was a Nazi in WWII. That is why people get offended; not at the word, but at its referent. Best, and I look forward to seeing your research, ------------------ Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 50
- 11/4/2000 2:41:00 AM   
Anzac

Well I'd just to put my two cents worth in... If you ain't happy with the OOB's then you can change them the way you want anyway Mr Unhappy Camper et al. Personally I think Matrix have done a great job with the OOB's and considering the game is bloody free than I think that ppl are just being stupid! BTW I have a great idea for a new Tiger scenario Fabs. Could you possibly do a recreation of the Tiger's 1st time in action? From memory there were 4 of 'em and they were in an area where they weren't suited (swamp and forest) but they did do some damage, and it would be cool 'cos they had some bad luck. 3 of the 4 had their guns disabled but none were permanently lost. Maybe in a future scenario perhaps... P.S. I come on this forum a lot but I don't post very often hence the 'new recruit' tag. I'm not really!!

Anzac "Lest We Forget"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI