Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/25/2008 6:03:01 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

What was Joe Kennedy doing when he was killed?

Piloting a B-17 that exploded in mid-air over the English Channel. It was some kind of special volunteer mission (perhaps against sub pens, if memory serves) that involved a significant risk, but he never got his plane to the target.

Well I had to wiki it after that guess. It was a modiifed B-24 and they were trying to bomb a V-3 cannon site in Mimoyecques, France. There was some damage on the ground so they may not have even made it as far as the Channel. Aside from those minor details, my answer was bang-on!

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/25/2008 6:10:09 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 871
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 4:33:51 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

What was the bizare plan that Louis Mountbatten had for constructing super-carriers?

That sounds like Project Habakkuk. The plan was to construct enormous aircraft carriers out of a mixture of ice and sawdust called Pykrete, with cooling pipes all through them to keep them frozen. Tests were done and, from memory, a small vessel was constructed but the project was abandoned due to the significant technical challenges involved and changing priorities.

Cheers, Neilster

Way to go Nielster a direct hit! Technically, the idea could have worked, but by the time they had worked out the details, the Greenland-Iceland gap in the anti-sub coverage, particularly aircraft coverage had been filled by the long range maritime variants of the B-24, the Martin Mariner, etc. On the political side "Dickie" had been sent out to take command in the Indian theatre, and wasn't available to push the project.

On a related subject, does anyone know why all official British Government documents written after 1940 mentioing Iceland always refer to it as Iceland(c) ?
Mike

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 11/26/2008 4:34:33 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 872
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 4:45:28 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

What was Joe Kennedy doing when he was killed?

Piloting a B-17 that exploded in mid-air over the English Channel. It was some kind of special volunteer mission (perhaps against sub pens, if memory serves) that involved a significant risk, but he never got his plane to the target.

Well I had to wiki it after that guess. It was a modiifed B-24 and they were trying to bomb a V-3 cannon site in Mimoyecques, France. There was some damage on the ground so they may not have even made it as far as the Channel. Aside from those minor details, my answer was bang-on!

Great job, Paul He was piloting a B-24 that the air corps had stuffed full with a horrifying amount of explosives, and then installed a rudimentary radio controlled autopilot (hence the connection with the thread about the He 177 and its radio controlled cruise missle.) The idea with Kennedy's project was that they would take off, climb to cruise altitude and bail out over England. The controlling aircraft would then fly the aircraft across the Channel and crash the a/c into the V-3 prototype. Kennedy's aircraft exploded over Kent (there was some opinion that the explosion was caused when Kennedy armed the "bomb".) To give you some idea of the force of the explosion, it not only caused the control a/c to crash at a range of over a mile, but was reported to have caused casualties on the ground despite the fact that Kennedy's plane was flying at greater than 5000 feet when it detonated!
Mike

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 11/26/2008 4:56:26 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 873
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 4:54:04 AM   
Michael the Pole

Does anyone know the neutral power that joined one of the beligerants in accordance with a treaty signed in the Fourteenth Century? Who was the Head of State of the beligerant power, and who was the Head of State that he referred to as having originated the alliance?

Mike

Post #: 874
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 5:46:56 AM   
brian brian

That would be Portugal, which I think was led by a Dr Salazar during WWII? And he may have referred to the alliance with England originating during the reign of ... Henry the Vth? Errr, no I think he was 15th Century. ?

Post #: 875
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 6:42:32 PM   
Michael the Pole

Great -- it was Portugal! Anyone know the originating Head pf State?

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 876
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 9:57:41 PM   
patchogue

Prinz Eugen's ally was the Duke of Marlborough.

i think he was a Savoyard (so almost french &/or Italian) and had a connection to Louis XIV.

the aircraft carrier was ice and straw

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

Post #: 877
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/26/2008 10:00:40 PM   
patchogue

I expect sawdust was right - should read all posts before answering

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to patchogue)
Post #: 878
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 12:08:30 AM   
terje439

quote:

Great -- it was Portugal! Anyone know the originating Head pf State?

A mail from JGN about this Q;

At the Battle of São Mamede, Afonso Henriques, Count of Portugal, defeated his mother, Countess Teresa, and her lover, Fernão Peres de Trava, in battle — thereby establishing himself as sole leader. Afonso Henriques officially declared Portugal's independence when he proclaimed himself King of Portugal on July 25, 1139, after the Battle of Ourique, he was recognized as such in 1143 by Afonso VII, king of León and Castile, and in 1179 by Pope Alexander III.
Afonso Henriques and his successors, aided by military monastic orders, pushed southward to drive out the Moors, as the size of Portugal covered about half of its present area. In 1249, this Reconquista ended with the capture of the Algarve on the southern coast, giving Portugal its present day borders, with minor exceptions.

Post #: 879
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 4:47:15 AM   
brian brian

Iceland(c) came about on direct orders from Churchill after he grew concerned that documents regarding the Battle of the Atlantic could easily accidentally confuse Ireland and Iceland, particularly when hand-written.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 880
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 5:20:59 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character? 

Prince Eugene.

Who was his famous colaberator, who was that colaberator's direct descendant and why was it remarkable that only Axis navys named ships after him?

What was the bizare plan that Louis Mountbatten had for constructing super-carriers?

I guess the word "collaberator" threw me. I had mentioned Marlborough (John Churchill) when I first replied to this question near the start of the thread. Anyway the famous descendant was of course Winston Churchill and perhaps that is the same reason it may be surprising that the axis were the ones naming their ships after him. The Italian connection is from Eugene being the Duke of Savoy and the German one is probably more Austrian than German since along with Marlborough he beat on the Bavarians as well as the French at the Battle of Blenheim, but before that he fought with the Austro-Hungarians and did a number on the Turks circa 1689.

Paul

Post #: 881
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 5:27:28 AM   
brian brian

not sure if this one has been asked before ... which WWII General has a _ship_ named after him?

(maybe there is more than one?)

< Message edited by brian brian -- 11/27/2008 5:28:15 AM >

Post #: 882
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 5:29:24 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

not sure if this one has been asked before ... which WWII General has a _ship_ named after him?

USS Eisenhower is a CV.

Paul

Post #: 883
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 10:48:01 AM   
Michael the Pole

Excellent, Paul, outstanding !!!

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

Post #: 884
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 1:15:34 PM   
micheljq

The participation of Portugal in WW2 must have been symbolic, most of their army was fighting wars in their colonies at that time (like in Angola). Though Salazar did allow the allies to establish bases in the Azores for the operation Torch. At first Salazar wanted to stay neutral and don't get involved in the conflict (much like Franco in Spain) but the pressure from the allies was heavy. And the portuguese have a long history of alliances with the english (against Napoleon is an example).

My wife is portuguese, his father did fought a war in Angola, an ugly war with a lot of atrocities. He fought alongside US rangers. I don't understand how the U.S. rangers managed to be there. It was something about fighting communists in Angola. Do you know they captured cubans disguised like african people and fighting on the communist side? Kind of crazy. Angola is no longer a portuguese colony now.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 885
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/27/2008 9:27:06 PM   
terje439

Question from JGN:

(Q): Name the two United States Navy coal burning freshwater paddle-wheel aircraft carriers that sailed on the Great Lakes durring World War 2. They were originally named "Seeandbee" and "SS Greater Buffalo".

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 886
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/28/2008 7:10:23 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Question from JGN:

(Q): Name the two United States Navy coal burning freshwater paddle-wheel aircraft carriers that sailed on the Great Lakes durring World War 2. They were originally named "Seeandbee" and "SS Greater Buffalo".

USS Sable and USS Wolverine. I always remember them because of their incongruous names and because the concept of a coal-fired paddle powered aircraft carrier seems so strange. They were used for training and were very austere.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 887
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/28/2008 9:46:10 AM   
terje439

According to JGN you are quite correct!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 888
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/28/2008 12:15:02 PM   
Norden_slith

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGS_Rommel_(D187)

There was more then one!

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

Post #: 889
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/28/2008 11:38:26 PM   
brian brian

I was thinking about the Rommel. I would think the Russians might have done this at some point too?

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 890
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/29/2008 2:34:48 AM   
monkla

quote:

I was thinking about the Rommel. I would think the Russians might have done this at some point too?

And at least a third...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_aircraft_carrier_Charles_de_Gaulle

Post #: 891
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/29/2008 8:15:40 AM   
Orm

quote:

There is at least one WWII general who has a minor planet named after him.
(maybe more than one?)

1) What is his name?
2) In what country was the very first monument to him erected?

-Orm

< Message edited by Orm -- 11/29/2008 8:16:28 AM >

Post #: 892
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 12:56:11 PM   
warspite1

I need a fact verified and so thought I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone can confirm this.

What was the first successful Allied landing in WWII against an enemy held beach?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 893
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 1:53:25 PM   
cockney

who or what was the Blitz Witch?

andy why did the authoroties take interest?

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 894
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 3:00:13 PM   
micheljq

quote:

I need a fact verified and so thought I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone can confirm this.

What was the first successful Allied landing in WWII against an enemy held beach?

Mmm the Operation Torch landings in Algeria & Tunisia against Vichy held territories?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 895
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 3:03:39 PM   
micheljq

Me too I need a fact verified. 

Can someone give me the name of a soviet officer who won one of the highest decorations in 1942 after successfull engagements against the whermacht south of Stalingrad.  This soviet officer would have the same name as a russian hero of the past.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 896
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 4:21:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Mmm the Operation Torch landings in Algeria & Tunisia against Vichy held territories?

Warspite1

No - this is from 1941

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 897
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 4:21:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Me too I need a fact verified. 

Can someone give me the name of a soviet officer who won one of the highest decorations in 1942 after successfull engagements against the whermacht south of Stalingrad.  This soviet officer would have the same name as a russian hero of the past.

Warspite1

Kusnetzov?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 898
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/30/2008 4:27:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

who or what was the Blitz Witch?

andy why did the authoroties take interest?

Warspite1

This is the lady - Duncan? - who was a suppossed medium and told of contact from a sailor from the battleship Barham who had died when his ship was torpedoed in December 41?.

Because the Germans had failed to realise they had sunk her, the British authorities kept schtum too and therefore she should not have known about the loss at that time. I think she was arrested ahead of D-Day in case she gave secrets away.

Churchill was one of the biggest advocates of letting her go as he thought it was all a load of rubbish.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 899
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 12/31/2008 1:33:19 AM   
brian brian

1941 - maybe one of the Soviet Marines operations in the Kola Peninsula was that early?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI