Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something for the Modders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Something for the Modders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something for the Modders - 12/30/2008 7:56:40 PM   
jmscho

How about something a bit more far fetched as a start point:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-birmingham/weapons-of-choice.htm

I've just started reading it so cannot say much.
Post #: 1
RE: Something for the Modders - 12/30/2008 10:27:22 PM   
el cid again

Sounds like a movie plot - the movie plot itself possibly being inspired by a real event. In the movie - Final Countdown? - USS Enterprise is sent by time warp to Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 1941.

What may have inspired the film is an event at the filming of Tora Tora Tora in 1968. Seems USS Waddell DDG-24 steamed in the night before - and didn't know about the filming. En route to Viet Nam - the first ship in history charged to stop missile attacks - she was working up for real world anti-air warfare. At the right time - moments before 0800 ceremonies - planes in Japanese markings appeared in the skies over PH - including 26 pseudo Kates right on the deck - running in on battleship row (or what used to be that). Stepping outside of the unused port quarterdeck (we were starboard side to) - I saw these planes inbound - and being a trained petty officer of the watch - I went to the alarm handles and threw the GQ switch. Then I picled up the mike and announced (without whistle since am not a bosun) "General Quarters General Quarters Air Attack Inbound Starboard Side This is Not a Drill"

The ship - after daily drills for weeks - stood to in about half the allotted time (5 minutes) - missile running out on the rail (waiting for fire control to warm up) - gun mounts swinging to starboard - people running and setting watertight doors.

The rest of the Navy was horrified - they knew perfectly well what comes next. And this ship really was going to GQ and announcing it was not a drill!! Every form of communication possible came into use - signal lights - flags - radio - telephone - runners - name it. Everyone wanted to get the word through this was a movie - not the real thing.

I did not get in trouble for sounding the alarm. The captain said "any time you see aircraft attacking this ship - you do the same thing."

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 2
RE: Something for the Modders - 12/30/2008 11:00:55 PM   
JeffroK

The weapons of choice trilogy is good reading, more in the vein of Harry Turtledove than Final Countdown.

In their 'timewarp" , their United Nations fleet reappears all over the world so many nations get a chance to use modern technology.

Get the seies, its worth reading.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Something for the Modders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI