Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Statistics!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Statistics! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Statistics! - 12/30/2008 3:34:32 PM   
SlickWilhelm

HG would be much more fun, from a "role-playing" perspective, if there were stat sheets for all the mercs. Things to include would be:

-Length of service
-Number of kills
-Hit ratio
-Number of battles
-Number of times wounded
-Beginning and current salary

If nothing else, I think it would allow us to gauge the effectiveness of our mercs.

The more reasons the developers can give us to care about our mercs, the better.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Post #: 1
RE: Statistics! - 12/31/2008 2:44:57 AM   
Chris Bisson

Agreed, but I believe they really didn't care at all once the liscense was yanked away and all they were concerned with was pushing it out the door in such a state that it was (barely) playable to make money and not go bankrupt over it. That is the feeling I get while playing the pre-patched version. Face it, they relesed a broken/unfinnished game and what other possible motive could there be? I am not angry over it. I am a bit jaded though. I am seeing more and more of this (crap) releasing of software the last several years. Broken should not be sold without the "disclaimer" of unfinnished (but that would sell zero copies right?) ;) 

My oppinion. I will also say that this is better than nothing at all.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: Statistics! - 12/31/2008 2:57:33 AM   
zhanga

Platoon Crusher. I don't know how long you've been playing computer games but I can tell you that releasing unfinished or simply crap games had been going on a lot longer than last several years.

HG may have its problems but I think that in many ways it's an improvement over JA2. And which other games do you know that will allow you to simpoly hack into XML files to make mods by a complete novice with a text editor? Besides, where at all in the "Western" world are they still doing JA like games? There's no money in games like this, all the big bucks are being spent on a torrent of FPS games which are all essentially identical. Are you jaded with those?

This game is a lot of fun like the old JA, XCOM games and in all the hours I spent on it I haven't had a crash or slow down which is much more than you can say about most games these days. This is before I even realised there's such a lot twist in mid game!

So I would say this is the best game to come out of the whole PC gaming industry in a long time.

(in reply to Chris Bisson)
Post #: 3
RE: Statistics! - 12/31/2008 2:58:06 PM   
Chris Bisson

I agree with about almost everything. Although I have had many crashes in this game. On a bad session I will crash several times in an hour of play time. I have been playing the hell out of this game even with the issues it has. I suppose that says quite alot doesn't it? You're correct about the moddability of this game and it makes me very happy that it is this way. It has potential and we must wait to see. The UFO series was ok untill modding made it much better.

I like this game as you do. I don't think it is the "best" game to come along in years though. As SW posted there is no actual role play in this game, The spotting ability/LOS and the interrupt parts of the game have large issues and seems to me "unfinnished" and I assumed that the game was rushed out the door so they don't go broke and if they kept developing this game untill all the bugs/issues were ironed out then The next "actual" jagged alliance would take the market away from them. I bet that weighed in the decision as well.

There are some contenders for best game in years to give HG some competition. If you only include tactical squad level games like this you can also considder Brigade E5 or UFO Afterlight/Aftershock, maybe you might like Soldiers or Men of war, I can name more but you can see my point here I believe. There are many other titles that are similar that were released in a better state.

So I agree with many of your points and I also like this game. I see a jewel underneath if the issues can be corrected. :)

(in reply to zhanga)
Post #: 4
RE: Statistics! - 12/31/2008 9:13:44 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Actually, to me the number of real major bugs upon release was minimal compared to many other products. The biggest gripes were just balance modifiers in the xml files that Sean and Erik took care of in the first patch. I do agree that they probably had planned upon adding other things like headsets and more "stealthy" missions in which to use them. But in spite of the lack of character development and a truly entertaining story line like JA2 had, I'm enjoying the game immensely. In fact, I'm still finding surprises within the game, especially some new phrases coming out of the characters' mouths.

Last night while defending the Crossroads, my own character blurted out while firing "Die you sonofabitch!" I lol, as I'd never heard him say that before in all the battles he's had.

It's not the second coming of JA2, but After playing through it almost all the way, I'm still ready for more. That alone speaks volumes.

Post #: 5
RE: Statistics! - 1/2/2009 3:43:30 PM   
ShadoWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: zhanga

HG may have its problems but I think that in many ways it's an improvement over JA2. And which other games do you know that will allow you to simply hack into XML files to make mods by a complete novice with a text editor?

Civ 4, JA 2 v1.13, just to name two. I'm sure there are others.

(in reply to zhanga)
Post #: 6
RE: Statistics! - 1/25/2009 1:56:08 PM   
arras

JA 2 v1.13 if fan made mod of JA 2. Its developed by a large team of programing skilled and dedicated fans over many years. It is not fair comparison.

(in reply to ShadoWarrior)
Post #: 7
RE: Statistics! - 1/25/2009 2:43:07 PM   
bugs

quote:

ORIGINAL: arras

JA 2 v1.13 if fan made mod of JA 2. Its developed by a large team of programing skilled and dedicated fans over many years. It is not fair comparison.

after i finished this game il restart a JA2 with patch 1.13 :D
thnxx for mentioning it

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 8
RE: Statistics! - 1/25/2009 4:01:46 PM   
arras

Be sure to download SVN version (requires downloading and installing Tortoise). Follow instructions on the forum. Do not bother with any installer version, they are old and lack some of the most interesting new features like new inventory system.

(in reply to bugs)
Post #: 9
RE: Statistics! - 1/26/2009 12:04:23 AM   
LimeyBugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon Crusher

The UFO series was ok untill modding made it much better.

OK??? UFO was incredible, unrivalled in its genre for ages. Lots of people still look at it as the benchmark for UGOIGO games.

OK??? It was chosen as one of the Top 25 PC Games of All Time]! OK?!!?

Post #: 10
RE: Statistics! - 1/26/2009 2:30:43 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: LimeyBugger

quote:

The UFO series was ok untill modding made it much better.

OK??? UFO was incredible, unrivalled in its genre for ages. Lots of people still look at it as the benchmark for UGOIGO games.

OK??? It was chosen as one of the Top 25 PC Games of All Time]! OK?!!?

I agree with you(and many others) that XCOM:UFO Defense was probably the best PC game ever released, but I was surprised that IGN didn't include the original "Red Baron" by Dynamix in their list. Actually, considering the relatively young age of the reviewers, I guess I'm not that surprised. Silent Hunter 3 and Grand Prix Legends should be on the list, too.

To be honest, I didn't know that the XCOM series has been modded.

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 1/26/2009 2:33:27 AM >

(in reply to LimeyBugger)
Post #: 11
RE: Statistics! - 1/26/2009 12:44:54 PM   
LimeyBugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

To be honest, I didn't know that the XCOM series has been modded.

Neither did I. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

Post #: 12
RE: Statistics! - 1/29/2009 12:03:06 PM   
Chris Bisson

umm, sorry I have not been to this forum for a while now or else I would have replied. If you notice I said UFO games and didn't say X-Com games.....UFO Aftershock, Aftermath, Afterlight.....The modding to X-COM was minimal tweaks to my knowledge.

(in reply to LimeyBugger)
Post #: 13
RE: Statistics! - 1/29/2009 12:41:53 PM   
Hard Sarge

and we got one of the better of the modders for those games, here on our forum

Post #: 14
RE: Statistics! - 1/30/2009 2:50:16 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

umm, sorry I have not been to this forum for a while now or else I would have replied. If you notice I said UFO games and didn't say X-Com games.....UFO Aftershock, Aftermath, Afterlight.....The modding to X-COM was minimal tweaks to my knowledge.

Ah, my bad. The entire name of XCOM is XCOM:UFO Defense, so that's why I thought you were referring to XCOM.

Post #: 15
RE: Statistics! - 1/30/2009 8:49:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

To Platoon Crusher:

Keep in mind there's also another update coming. The game was not release "with issues" intentionally. A lot of stuff that was in the original European release was caught, reported and fixed. A few things did get through our testing and balancing though, of which we resolved the most serious in a first update. The developers have been working with all the crash reports and other reported issues since then and we expect most of these will be resolved in the second update.

While I recognize it's easy to get jaded and cynical given the shape many games release in, please don't make assumptions about us or our intentions.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 16
RE: Statistics! - 1/31/2009 12:45:21 PM   
Chris Bisson

Hello Eric. Please don't think I was reffering to "Matrix Games" in my first post. I have been buying games from Matrix for years now and never had a reason to complain about this company. It is obvious to me and anyone else that you guys are way above the rest as far as support and bug fixing goes. I don't think any other company actually replies to people or thier concerns/complaints like you guys do. I have been and continue to be a happy customer here. That is why I am still a loyal customer here.

Thanks for the reply.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Statistics! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI