Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why isn't PH starving - and other questions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/1/2009 8:12:40 PM   
OldCoot

Scenario 15 stock 12/7/41

1 - Why isn't PH starving?

If I open the PH base panel I see that Pearl has 36,288 supplies on hand, and that the base requires 7,546 per day. Does this mean that, unless supply ships arrive in the next 5-6 days, Hawaii will starve? If so, they would seem to be in trouble because I see no supply TFs coming or going between PH and the west coast.

Fuel - The manual doesn't say if the "Fuel Requested" figure is a daily requirement. If so,PH is in more trouble. They only have a seven day supply, and there aren't enough tankers on the west coast to meet the shortfall.

I don't know how long it would take a transport TF, but I would guess at least 10 days plus loading/unloading - maybe a month round trip. It looks like I need to put a lot of transport TFs on the way ASAP

2 - Restricted, non restricted commands

a -How do I know which are, and which aren't, and just what does restriction entail?

b - Let's say I have a USMC division at San Diego which is assigned to the South Pacific command, and, for some reason, I feel that this unit might be more useful in OZ than SD. Once there, will it be penalized in some manner for being out of bounds? If so, how?

< Message edited by OldCoot -- 1/1/2009 8:18:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/1/2009 8:19:21 PM   
Quixote

1. That's not how much PH uses daily, it's how much supply the base needs ( with everything stationed there ) to function normally. You'll use a LOT less than that per turn depending on activity ( search, bombing, CAP, etc. ) there.

2. Restricted commands won't load on a ship or transport aircraft. Using non-restricted units outside their theater isn't a big deal - they'll still draw replacements at bases with over 20K in supply. I beleive the restircted commands are in the manual ( not positive ), but if not, Phillipine, China, West Coast, Australia, ABDA are the main ones in stock.

(in reply to OldCoot)
Post #: 2
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/1/2009 9:11:10 PM   
Yamato hugger

The only thing that matters as far as HQ assignment goes in this game is if the HQ is a restricted command or not.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 3
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/1/2009 9:40:04 PM   
Marcus Agrippa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

1. That's not how much PH uses daily, it's how much supply the base needs ( with everything stationed there ) to function normally. You'll use a LOT less than that per turn depending on activity ( search, bombing, CAP, etc. ) there.

Is there a way to see how much supply a unit is using each day? Or a rule of thumb about how much excess supply should be accumulated at a base? I'm wondering how much supply is enough.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 4
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/1/2009 11:10:26 PM   
Oldguard1970

Here are the restricted commands: (This is from the manual.)
Japan
�� Home Defense Force
�� Kwangtung Area Army
�� China Expeditionary Army
Allies
�� Australia Command
�� West Coast
�� USAFFE
�� ABDA
�� Canada Command

��
New Zealand Command

Land units assigned to restricted commands will not load on ships or move by air.  Air units assigned to restricted commands may only be based at bases of that command.  You pay political points to reassign units.  Command designation of units has no effect on combat.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Marcus Agrippa)
Post #: 5
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/2/2009 1:13:29 AM   
OldCoot

Thanks all!

This must be a good game if, after four years, it has such an active and helpful forum. I hope that, maybe in another four years, after I have learned some of the rudiments of the game, I might be if some use to some future newbee.

(sorry about asking question about something covered by the manual. I did look, but my eyes must have suffered from info overload, and glazed over.)

< Message edited by OldCoot -- 1/2/2009 1:15:37 AM >

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 6
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/2/2009 1:36:28 AM   
rockmedic109

I believe the Supplies Required number is the number for one month {without battle}.  I thought that I read that.  If not, it is pretty close.

(in reply to OldCoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/2/2009 4:02:13 AM   
bradfordkay

My understanding is that the number is the number of supplies needed for the month at the present rate of expenditure. So if your troops participated in combat this turn but not the previous, your supplies required will be higher at the end of this turn than it was at the end of the previous turn.

I have no idea if this is correct...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 8
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/2/2009 4:53:39 AM   
2ndACR

All of us ask questions at one time or another......I probably could not find my rule book if I tried........and I hate alt tabbing out or reading PDF files.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 9
RE: Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? - 1/2/2009 2:15:21 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

All of us ask questions at one time or another......I probably could not find my rule book if I tried........and I hate alt tabbing out or reading PDF files.

If only you knew the power of using the 'special' search utility in pdf's, you would not be reading manuals anymore. Let's say you want to know about restricted units. Type in the word 'restricted' and you will find ALL instances of that word coming up with instant links. Some words surrounding the searched word are provided as part of the link, such that often without even going to the link you can see whether the link is even worth clicking on. The special search link is located in the top right corner. IIRC it's always there, but I haven't been in a pdf searching for anything in a good while, so I cannot tell how to always have it pinned to the top right corner if it isn't always there, but I think it is.

Having seen the power of the pdf side, I feel really cheated when all I get is a printed manual. I like printed manuals, especially for comparing different units, but pdf special searching is so good every game should provide them, printed manual or not. Unfortunately, most companies who do away with printed manuals use the grind that a pdf can be updated. True, but do you know anybody who ever bothered to update one? I might had seen one company do it once, but then again printed manuals aren't updated either.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Why isn't PH starving - and other questions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI